ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Sounds like we are in great shape with Walker, Smith, Parsons and Enis. Oweh could very well end up in this group. Do we have room for all 5 of these guys if they all come to happy valley?

One thing you notice about these recruits listed above. They are grown ass men, they are physically ready to play at this level it looks like.

From what I've read, I think we have room for four more. Oweh's visit may have
put PSU in front. Unless Oweh who has already taken his OV to OSU changes his leader,
Walker might be the one we lose.

You guys know who I feel about Parsons, but, my daughter sent me a copy of his acceptance letter that he posted (not sure where he posted it). It says he is accepted for Spring 2018. He plans to major in Criminology.

Good to know Agoodnap.

May not be current, but this interesting info is from a Parsons' article on September 19th.

And Tuesday, [Parsons] reiterated he plans to choose a school soon, and enroll early.

He said he'd still be able to play in the Army bowl game, slated to air live on NBC on Jan. 6

"I'd leave for school right after that," he said.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2017/09/micah_parsons_says_hes_feeling.html

Last edited:
You guys know who I feel about Parsons, but, my daughter sent me a copy of his acceptance letter that he posted (not sure where he posted it). It says he is accepted for Spring 2018. He plans to major in Criminology.
Good info agoodnap. Thanks. Gotta think that means he and Harrisburg HS were able to get everything finalized for him to graduate in December - from what we've heard in the past, Harrisburg has never had a student graduate early and were having some issues getting things in order for Parsons. Can't imagine the mid-semester transfer last year helped things on that front, either.

Geez. You mean you know their high school uniform numbers?

I guess I am not hard-core enough.
You don’t have to know their HS numbers. look at the photo of Oweh in the PSU uniform... he’s wearing #22. When recruits visit, part of the experience is getting to wear a Penn State uniform with whatever number they want, which is typically their HS number. Enis has had similar photos taken with his number, but it’s not hard to interpolate even if you didn’t see Enis’ photo.

Reactions: pkg5002
Now the question is will he enroll at Penn State? Looks promising.
Will have to see if he tweets about being accepted into Nebraska, OSU, and Oklahoma.

In reality, I can't see him going to any of those three. Maybe OSU, but not after that disastrous tweet.

Reactions: BUFFALO LION
Being accepted is only a part of being able to EE. You still have to meet NCAA eligibility rules. And more so, graduate high school. Hasn't it been suggested Harrisburg High doesn't do that?

Being accepted is only a part of being able to EE. You still have to meet NCAA eligibility rules. And more so, graduate high school. Hasn't it been suggested Harrisburg High doesn't do that?
He's not an academic problem.

One can have good grades and still not be eligible by NCAA standards. I'm not saying that's Parsons, but he'd have to have all his core course work done by now.

Depends on what you mean by good grades and you are correct. But generally someone with a good transcript should have no problem, given the NCAA's piss-ant standards.

As far as completing core coursework early, the only problem that a student following a normal high school track would have is with the English requirement. Still, not particularly difficult with a little advance planning.

Depends on what you mean by good grades and you are correct. But generally someone with a good transcript should have no problem, given the NCAA's piss-ant standards.

As far as completing core coursework early, the only problem that a student following a normal high school track would have is with the English requirement. Still, not particularly difficult with a little advance planning.

He would have needed 10 of his 16 core courses done before he started his senior year. Plus it's Harrisburg, so you never know

Reactions: TheGLOV
He would have needed 10 of his 16 core courses done before he started his senior year. Plus it's Harrisburg, so you never know

I can't speak for Harrisburg HS, but any typical HS student destined for college is well beyond 10 core courses by the end of the junior year, 15 wouldn't be unusual.

I can't speak for Harrisburg HS, but any typical HS student destined for college is well beyond 10 core courses by the end of the junior year, 15 wouldn't be unusual.
That’s what I was thinking. I was about to ask what a core course is. I’d guess that most of us would have completed 16 by the end of sophomore year. English, History, Math, Science, Language each semester. I assume they’re core courses.

Reactions: bison13
IIRC, it's four years worth of English, and three years of History, Science, Math, and Languages. Easy to do by the end of your junior year if you double up in English for a year and stay on pace, but you can definitely get into trouble if you don't take things seriously enough when you're a freshman or sophomore - which, for a lot of guys, is before they might realize that playing D1 football is a possibility.

That’s what I was thinking. I was about to ask what a core course is. I’d guess that most of us would have completed 16 by the end of sophomore year. English, History, Math, Science, Language each semester. I assume they’re core courses.

"In general, a typical high school core curriculum looks something like this"
  • English: 4 years
  • Foreign Language: 2 to 3 years
  • Math: 3 years
  • Science: 2 - 3 years (including lab science)
  • Social Studies (including history): 2 to 3 years
  • Art: 1 year

It can vary by location and by school.
Selective schools may require additional core courses, such as 4 years of Math (including calculus), 4 years of Sciences and 4 years of Foreign Language.

Last edited:

Sixteen by the end of the sophomore year is pushing it. Ten to twelve would be normal, with only two of the required four English course. By the end of the junior year, 15 should be done, with only the remaining year of English to complete.

IIRC, it's four years worth of English, and three years of History, Science, Math, and Languages. Easy to do by the end of your junior year if you double up in English for a year and stay on pace, but you can definitely get into trouble if you don't take things seriously enough when you're a freshman or sophomore - which, for a lot of guys, is before they might realize that playing D1 football is a possibility.

Close. Requirements are:

English- four years
Math- three years
Physical science- two years
History/social science- two years

Then, one from either English, math, or physical science; and four from the four above plus foreign language.

Sixteen by the end of the sophomore year is pushing it. Ten to twelve would be normal, with only two of the required four English course. By the end of the junior year, 15 should be done, with only the remaining year of English to complete.
I didn’t realize eight semesters of English were needed. What raffycorn described as the core course requirement was more than I expected.

I didn’t realize eight semesters of English were needed. What raffycorn described as the core course requirement was more than I expected.

States, at least those with which I am familiar, typically require four years of English. Doubling up can be complicated since the common curriculum is four sequential years.

Reactions: artsandletters
Is it really called "physical science" in the requirements? Physics and Chemistry generally comprise physical science and that would be 2 of 3 years. The third I assume would be a course called physical science which is a precursor to both of the aforementioned but is often taught in 8th grade or perhaps an AP Physics or AP organic Chem which I suspect is unlikely.

If it is called "physical science" in the requirements then I suggest it is a misnomer and includes Biology and Environmental science as options to fulfill it as well.

Is it really called "physical science" in the requirements? Physics and Chemistry generally comprise physical science and that would be 2 of 3 years. The third I assume would be a course called physical science which is a precursor to both of the aforementioned but is often taught in 8th grade or perhaps an AP Physics or AP organic Chem which I suspect is unlikely.

If it is called "physical science" in the requirements then I suggest it is a misnomer and includes Biology and Environmental science as options to fulfill it as well.

Physical/natural

Reactions: itsofficial101
States, at least those with which I am familiar, typically require four years of English. Doubling up can be complicated since the common curriculum is four sequential years.

Don't forget some schools do block scheduling. With that it would be easy for a Senior to have all core courses done early enough. If the school doesn't do block scheduling it would be more difficult.

Great job Micah! These really talented kids have a chance to set themselves up financially for the rest of their lives. Enrolling early makes it more likely if they can get on the field their fresh year.

We're going to get more kids like this as we get better. Hope he becomes a great player and a 1st
Round pick in 3 years. Like Saquon.

Cram down the minimum requirements as soon as possible.
Leave school as soon as possible, and start practicing football.
Pin your hopes on the fame and riches of the NFL.

Culture Problem much?
Well, he would be graduating high school right? Then starting college classes early. He's not leaving college early if he isn't projected to be an early pick and getting the money that goes with it. And if he isn't, he doesn't leave early, and he gets his degree. Don't see how that hurts him or anyone else for that matter.

Reactions: bmw199 and LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT