ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I think it may have more to do with the amount of open 'ships than it does any other particular prospect.

This kid was incredible in Penn Hills' state championship run this year - it may just be the staff taking a chance on a potential diamond in the rough.
Being a Penn Hills native, I like the potential of this . Have not seen any posting of Daequan's 40 times

Reactions: TheGLOV
I have questioned the legitimacy of those offers. If he had those offers , why wouldn't
one be accepted by now ?
I read in the Pgh sports pages online, his offers were William & Mary and other lower classification schools.

I have questioned the legitimacy of those offers. If he had those offers , why wouldn't
one be accepted by now ?
I read in the Pgh sports pages online, his offers were William & Mary and other lower classification schools.

I read an article that said he had offers from Michigan and Michigan State last Spring but both schools stopped recruiting him because of his size. In that same article, Hardy says that he hasn't taken any visits yet, but he would take visits this month (January) and that his three offers were William & Mary, Toledo, and Kent State. It also sounds like some Power 5 schools have recently reached out to him based on his State Championship performance.

one be accepted by now ?
Well, maybe these big-time offers were all made after the early signing period, just like ours was.

EDIT: I can see that he hasn't yet been offered by PSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
one be accepted by now ?
It’s all in the eyes of the beholder, for the school that gets him they were all committable to all the others they weren’t.

Hardy reminds me of Deion Butler, who walked on at Penn State, but what did he weigh when he arrived? 160? 170? I think it is Hardy's size that has effected his offer list. But to possibly take a flyer on him at the end of the class, have to trust the staff. To be clear, Penn State hasn't offered yet.

We have no idea. We just lost about 1/3rd of our roster and need bodies. In addition, kids all mature at different times. Staff had bigger fish to fry but with all of these openings and new kids impressing, we drop down a level and make an offer. Happens every year but will happen this year more than others.

BTW, I recall Cardell Jones was going to commit to PSU until tOSU had an unexpected opening and got their last 'ship that year.

I also grew up not too far from Penn Hills, and my grandparents lived in PH, so I watched PH in the state title game. Hardy was the dominant player in that game. Looked rather small, but he has as good a chance as any recruit to develop into a dominant punt returner. Super quick with very good speed. And we have had other 5' 9" - 5'10" players play well at CB as well....

As someone above questioned, if he had legit offers to MSU, UN... why didn't he accept one? He may have had work to do in the class room or on the ACT, and that could also have changed recently. Who knows.

I can't see how this can have much to do with Richards, who is more likely to play RB, WR or Safety. Hardy is a CB on defense or possibly a small WR.

PSU interest probably has more to do with the recent mid winter evaluation period that the PSU coaches have completed. i.e. the sudden realization that they have up to 5 scholarships that they didn't have a real plan for. So they went back and did a detailed re-evaluation of about every unsigned player in PSU's base recruiting area..... in addition to their analysis of the players in the portal. No rest for the weary....

Last edited:
I find very little issue with using a flyer scholarship on a kid who had one of the best playoff runs in state history. It reminds me a little bit of how we recruited Drew Astorino back in the day - he didn’t turn out to be an All-American, but he ended up being a quality contributor. I liked what I saw from Hardy this fall and winter, and the athleticism (38 inch vertical) seems to line up with the tape.

I also grew up not too far from Penn Hills, and my grandparents lived in PH, so I watched PH in the state title game. Hardy was the dominant player in that game. Looked rather small, but he has as good a chance as any recruit to develop into a dominant punt returner. Super quick with very good speed. And we have had other 5' 9" - 5'10" players play well at CB as well....

I can't see how this can have anything to do with Richards, who is more likely to play RB, WR or Safety. Hardy is a CB all the way.

Probably has more to do with the recent mid winter evaluation period that the PSU coaches have completed. i.e. the sudden realization that they have about 5 scholarships that they didn't have a real plan for so they went back and did a detailed re-evaluation of about every unsigned player in PSU's base recruiting area.....
Lamont Wade is 5-9.

Lamont Wade is 5-9.

In heels....

But not really much of a comparison as Wade has a physique of an NFL LB. Just miniturized to about 68% scale.... Wade is built like a grown NFL player. Some sites list hardy at 150 lbs. So he could even be 145.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
I see Hardy with offers from Michigan, MSU, and Nebraska. Pretty good offers for a 2 star. Looks underrated to me.

He is a composite 3 star 247 Scout...
Only Rivals has him as a 2 star for what stars are worth.

He does have offers from 4 B1G programs now as well as Army Navy..
BG and a bunch of small schools.

Whatever, kid has some good film if you are not too lazy or prejudiced to watch them.

Last edited:
He is a composite 3 star 247 Scout...
Only Rivals has him as a 2 star for what stars are worth.

He does have offers from 4 B1G programs now as well as Army Navy..
BG and a bunch of small schools.

Whatever, kid has some good film if you are not too lazy or prejudiced to watch them.
after farrell gets wind of ps, he'll have no stars left:eek:.

UM, Neb, and MSU offered Hardy in the winter-spring of 2018.

The FOS Scholarship Matrix has 11 spots available (with Ellies included on the roster).

Maybe 12 or so on the board right now (?), in no order:

Nester (OT) (visits on 01/26)
Sorrells (DT) (visits on 01/25)
Cross (S) (visits on 02/01)
H-Hunte (DT) (visits Bama on 1/25)
MA Richards (Ath) (visited UGA on 1/18)
Houston (WR) (visits on 01/25)
Asaboro (DT) (visits on 01/25)
TJ Jones (WR) (visits on 01/25)
Darkwa (DT) (visits on 01/25)
Devonshire (CB) (visits Ole Miss on 1/26)
Seither (TE) (visits Bama on 01/25)
D Hardy (CB) (visits on 01/25)

I think it would be malpractice for CJF to not try to fill up the roster.

UM, Neb, and MSU offered Hardy in the winter-spring of 2018.

The FOS Scholarship Matrix has 11 spots available (with Ellies included on the roster).

Maybe 12 or so on the board right now (?), in no order:

Nester (OT) (visits on 01/26)
Sorrells (DT) (visits on 01/25)
Cross (S) (visits on 02/01)
H-Hunte (DT) (visits Bama on 1/25)
MA Richards (Ath) (visited UGA on 1/18)
Houston (WR) (visits on 01/25)
Asaboro (DT) (visits on 01/25)
TJ Jones (WR) (visits on 01/25)
Darkwa (DT) (visits on 01/25)
Devonshire (CB) (visits Ole Miss on 1/26)
Seither (TE) (visits Bama on 01/25)
D Hardy (CB) (visits on 01/25)

I think it would be malpractice for CJF to not try to fill up the roster.

I don't believe the FOS chart shows Holmes on scholarship, and most here believe it is a given he is on scholarship going forward, so that makes it 10 open spots. I'd put the over/under at 9 that CJF will more than likely fill between the late signing period and with Grad Transfers (maybe 1 or 2). Hopefully there is a walk on worthy of a scholarship if there is 1 to be given out when the dust settles.

With the talent that PSU seems to be in good shape with for 2020, it may be better in the longer run for CJF to take a Grad Transfer or 2 that could up the depth for 2019 and then open up that scholarship for a top 2020 player....

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing any speculation on PWOs who may have earned scholarship consideration. With Smith and Johnson, we've done well at LB the past several years with former PWOs. Frankly, other than Wade, who may well have developed had he stayed.....I'm trying to figure out who we are going to miss. If we had a rash of injuries and had to start Dalton, Jenkins Jarvis Miller, Darien and Faison Walden, we were screwed anyway. Polk couldn't catch a virus. If you are going to play George, Hamler and Shorter etc. JJ was only in the way.
The special teams were not necessarily the highlight of the team either.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall seeing any speculation on PWOs who may have earned scholarship consideration. With Smith and Johnson, we've done well at LB the past several years with former PWOs. Frankly, other than Wade, who may well have developed had he stayed.....I'm trying to figure out who we are going to miss. If we had a rash of injuries and had to start Dalton, Jenkins Jarvis Miller, Darien and Faison Walden, we were screwed anyway. Polk couldn't catch a virus. If you are going to play George, Hamler and Shorter etc. JJ was only in the way.
The special teams were not necessarily the highlight of the team either.

I don't believe many here believed that any of the players that left, other than Wade and JJ, had a real chance at significant playing time. But it leaves the special teams units kind of thin. Which will likely move a couple of the EE freshman right from "yellow" to "green" for special teams.

Not sure what impact those leaving will have on the competitive nature of practice. CJF has talked at length about how the practices have improved during the last year as the roster filled out with more talented players. And part of the competitive nature of practice is due to having some of the more experienced and physically mature players play against the 2-deep. It would be a good question to ask CJF going into Spring practice....

Last edited:
I don't believe many here believed that any of the players that left, other than Wade and JJ, had a real chance at significant playing time. But it leaves the special teams units kind of thin. Which will likely move a couple of the EE freshman right from "yellow" to "green" for special teams.

Not sure what impact those leaving will have on the competitive nature of practice. CJF has talked at length about how the practices have improved during the last year as the roster filled out with more talented players. And part of the competitive nature of practice is due to having some of the more experienced players play against the 2-deep. It would be a good question to ask CJF going into Spring practice....
Let's get the freshman on the field. If its special teams, so be it. I think the reality is that 4 star recruits are not coming here on the 5 year plan. They will graduate in 3, so if they are draft ready they are gone and if they are not starting they will leave as well. It appears to be the new normal.

Let's get the freshman on the field. If its special teams, so be it. I think the reality is that 4 star recruits are not coming here on the 5 year plan. They will graduate in 3, so if they are draft ready they are gone and if they are not starting they will leave as well. It appears to be the new normal.
Agreed. I don’t think they should worry about redshirts. If a guy can help out somewhere then play them. That includes a fifth game at the end of the year. They held out Shorter and Oweh from games. What are the chances they will be here five years

Agreed. I don’t think they should worry about redshirts. If a guy can help out somewhere then play them. That includes a fifth game at the end of the year. They held out Shorter and Oweh from games. What are the chances they will be here five years
Shorter was banged up. Owen had depth chart challenges.

There are obviously lots of great talents from great families is this class, but although his Pappy has a history of sometimes getting a little out of control, I love that the Porter family is now in the PSU family. And I'm looking for special things from this young man in a couple of years.

Last edited:
There are obviously lots of great talents from great families is this class, but although his Pappy could get a little out of control, I love that the Porter family is now in the PSU family. And I'm looking for special things from this young man in a couple of years.
Has CJF ever had dinner with a recruit's family after they signed?

Has CJF ever had dinner with a recruit's family after they signed?

Maybe Joey Sr. told him to show up....

And is that another Porter in the left side of the picture that may be a future target recruit? Or just a daughter's boy friend....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT