ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

If CJF could add Cross, Nester and Sorrels, and about any other player the class would move to # 4 in the current 247 ratings. Gotta believe he will get another WR as well. I'm sure not focused on ratings, but rather CJF just getting the players he is going hard after going down the stretch till the Feb late signing period. But with all the scholarships open even if he gets his top choices he can still bring in another late bloomer such as the DE/DT from Germany. And maybe a couple Grad Transfers for depth as well.

Seems that CJF just eats up the roster management issues at they arise...
Cross and Sorrells alone would move us ahead of Michigan for tops in the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/college/penn-state/Season/2019-Football/Commits/Preview/

Agreed, he certainly could. Could also be a Calais Campbell type DE. He is super raw tho, going to take some patience

With the current play early or transfer ideology that seems to be taking over it would be good to have some developmental athletes that can redshirt and then play special teams while they learn their craft and then be 4th and 5th year contributors...

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Agreed, he certainly could. Could also be a Calais Campbell type DE. He is super raw tho, going to take some patience

With the current play early or transfer ideology that seems to be taking over it would be good to have some developmental athletes that can redshirt and then play special teams while they learn their craft and than be 4th and 5th year contributors...

As long as he isn't soft. Those big kids who lack killer instinct and are projects...too much risk. He's late coming into football, so perhaps patience on his end won't be an issue.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I wouldn’t think that grad transfers coming in would count against a recruiting class limit. Those would just go against the overall scholarship limit.

Sorry, but you would think wrong. They count against the incoming class limit.

Not that I know either way for sure, but I just think we are out of it for Sorrells.
There is a local SCar news article about him saying that he’s been to SCar numerous times. Also, Alabama remains in the conversation with him as well. I think he’s SCar’s to lose.

Seems like a great kid with a lot of potential.

Then why is he visiting?

Why do I go on job interviews when I'm 99% sure I won't take the job but I know I'll be offered it. Experience, to listen, learn etc. For him its a once in a lifetime experience, why not take it all in? It's his right.

Reactions: furfoot
**Penn State is 4th in the team composite in average recruit ranking**

Mike Farrell: "Hold my beer."

iu

Not that I know either way for sure, but I just think we are out of it for Sorrells.

Yea probably, you now how lovely State College is this time of year. Probably just visiting next weekend for the beach time.

There is a local SCar news article about him saying that he’s been to SCar numerous times. Also, Alabama remains in the conversation with him as well. I think he’s SCar’s to lose.

Seems like a great kid with a lot of potential.

Then why is he visiting?

Because he can get a free trip, free meals, get to go to sporting events for free and doesn’t want to not use all of his officials? I just think he’s going to South Carolina .. that is all.

I assumed there was no hope for Sorrells until I watched this video and now I think PSU has a great shot. Looks like an ideal cultural fit.

Why do I go on job interviews when I'm 99% sure I won't take the job but I know I'll be offered it. Experience, to listen, learn etc. For him its a once in a lifetime experience, why not take it all in? It's his right.
USCe definitely leads, he said so himself back in June. That said he took his official visit there this weekend and did not commit. He has a planned PSU visit this weekend, with the majority of our targets still on the board. We neither lead nor are out of it. He currently has no other visits scheduled after PSU on the 25th.

Because he can get a free trip, free meals, get to go to sporting events for free and doesn’t want to not use all of his officials? I just think he’s going to South Carolina .. that is all.

Except he only has 2 official visits scheduled

Wow, please stop wasting everyones time and decline job interviews when you're not going to take the job

Wow, please stop wasting everyones time and decline job interviews when you're not going to take the job
Why? Being 99% sure you wouldn’t take a job if offered isn’t the same thing as knowing you’re not going to take a job. And besides - HR and recruiters make a living on wasting the time of job applicants at every stage of the process. The company is going to do whatever they feel is in their best interest at the time regardless of what’s best for the applicant; it’s only fair for the applicant to do what he feels is in his best interest, too, without too much regard about what’s most convenient for the company.

Reactions: fkkkjm

I knew a career coach who thought you should interview for a job at least once a year to stay fresh, even if you had zero interest in accepting it.

I really hope they get Sorrells. The video I posted above talks a lot about his meanness and his humility. For whatever it's worth, there is a reason why Alabama (with 28 commits - which I think is the SEC limit - including 2 DTs) is still talking to him. It might've been in that video or in the articles I read about him, but Sorrells (or someone) basically said that a lot of schools tried to jump into his recruiting, but he put them on ignore b/c SCar, PSU and Bama had been on him since the beginning.

Some very nice words for Keaton Ellis in Phil Grosz's piece on 2019 early enrollees

KEATON ELLIS

ppb.png

ev4lt9amltzekrm225nb

RANK
-
NATIONAL
STATE
0"> 26
POSITION
Keaton
Ellis

RANK
5'11" | 177 lbs | CB
State College Area
State College, PA
CLASS OF 2019

SIGNED LOI
9/9/2017
Penn State Even though he’s a consensus four-star recruit, Ellis is, in my opinion, the most underrated member of Penn State’s class. He did not receive his four-star rating until after a sensational senior season. Ellis missed over half of his junior year with a thumb injury that required surgery, but last fall he totaled 51 tackles, four interceptions, nine pass deflections and three fumble recoveries. He also played offense and caught 50 passes for 888 yards.

Ellis ran a 4.39-second 40-yard time at a Penn State summer football camp. At the very least, I see him making the kind of impact on special teams that Luketa did this past season.

“He’s a completely dominant football player,” Penn State cornerbacks coach Terry Smith said in December. “You watch his film, and to me, I think he’s got the best corner film in the country – and we watched them all.”

USCe definitely leads, he said so himself back in June. That said he took his official visit there this weekend and did not commit. He has a planned PSU visit this weekend, with the majority of our targets still on the board. We neither lead nor are out of it. He currently has no other visits scheduled after PSU on the 25th.

as ive stated before, i cant for the life of me comprehend why anyone would choose to play for Will Muschamp ... lets get this done CJF

Its not a waste of time. And there is always a chance. I owe it to myself and family to listen and see what is offered. Think professionally its always a good idea to do this every few years. For many reasons.

May be unrelated but I take this to mean the coaches do not feel good about Richards

I think it may have more to do with the amount of open 'ships than it does any other particular prospect.

This kid was incredible in Penn Hills' state championship run this year - it may just be the staff taking a chance on a potential diamond in the rough.

At this point why not throw mud at the wall. If you are trying to get to 85 take some chances. Likelihood more just continue to transfer in the future that arent playing. If this kid doesnt play, he will hit the portal too. Just keeping up with the times.

Just for reference in this thread, Hardy's performance in the state championship was one of the best ever seen in PA.

3 INT, including a pick-6 on a 100 yard return.
84 yard KO return TD
2 receiving TDs (74 and 27 yards each)

For the season, a touchdown total of 22, including 12 receiving, 5 rushing, 3 on INT returns, 1 punt return and 1 kickoff return.

How that translates to the BIG10? Not sure, but worth a shot I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT