ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

I think those days are over. If you look at success rate associated with recruiting class ranks you'll see a correlation. That's not to say a five star is a shoe in, or a kid going to Kent can't become an all pro. But life is easier with four and five star kids

Florida State says hi! Two years running.

Some kids get overrated early due to the first offers that come in. Coaching and development of said kids is still vital.

Florida State says hi! Two years running.

Some kids get overrated early due to the first offers that come in. Coaching and development of said kids is still vital.
The kids who emerge as early five stars don’t always end up that way - I remember when the Baltimore linebacker Shane Lee was a sophomore, he was touted as one of the very best players in the country. As time went on, his ranking drifted down to where it sits now at around ~150ish in the 247 as he put more on tape as a high school upperclassman. He’s still a really good player and signed with Alabama, but he’s not the five star, top 25 player he was considered to be at one point.

And, I think Florida State is mentioned so frequently because their results have been so much of an outlier. Florida State’s poor results have been almost unheard of for the level of recruiting they’re on.

So D'Von was signed but waited until today to announce.

He is TRUELY a silent verbal!!!

{And sealed}

:)
Miles' sources are on fire.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Judge Smails
Nick Cross S 6 6'1" 205 Official Visit 2/1/19 Florida State 9/3/18 VERBAL

TJ Jones WR 5.7 6'1" 175 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Demariyon Houston WR 5.7 6'0" 165 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Wisdom Asaboro DT 5.6 6'8" 280 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Doug Nester OG 5.9 6'6" 312 Official Visit 1/25/19 Ohio State 8/5/18 SOFT

Hopefully somebody or two fine young men pledge to the Nittany Lions after this weekend.
Isn't Joseph Darkwa visiting on 1/25 as well? What about Sorrells ?

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think those days are over. If you look at success rate associated with recruiting class ranks you'll see a correlation. That's not to say a five star is a shoe in, or a kid going to Kent can't become an all pro. But life is easier with four and five star kids

I agree that the raning services are somewhat better at it than 3 decades ago. I see an improved correlation but the correlation is not as good as it could be with the institution of rational measures and better practices. The overacheiving / underachieving recruting class ranking to performance link that was posted bears that out. What skews people toward beleiving there is a strong correlation is the present farce of a CFP system. Overachievers (according to the star systems) from highly competitive conference don't get in to the CFP. More specifically Supposed overachievers from th power conferences are categorically left out of the CFP system. Clemson gets in by default because they play in a joke of a conference and are well rested when they get in. Explain Florida Mistakes performance to star ranking.

CJF especially at Vandy and now at PSU has proven that he knows players beyond the services systems, (Grant Haley and McSorley come to mind,,,etc), his staff follows growth charts as well... the outcome is that the overachievement is a biproduct of using better tools as well as recruiting higher service ranked players and developing them.

Yep, Ellies signed back on early NSD but was silent until last night/this morning.

I forget who wrote about USC contacting him after early NSD, which if that happened, would technically be a recruiting violation. However that gets pretty gray area for staffs accidentally reaching to a kid who signed and is silent somewhere else.

Yep, Ellies signed back on early NSD but was silent until last night/this morning.

I forget who wrote about USC contacting him after early NSD, which if that happened, would technically be a recruiting violation. However that gets pretty gray area for staffs accidentally reaching to a kid who signed and is silent somewhere else.

Don't see how a fact that is purposefully kept from you and your organization can be a recruiting violation. Hey, but who knows? After all, this is the purview of the NCAA where sense and logic are seldom part of the equation.

Looks like it might be Miami at this point unless something changes. It would stink if that’s the case, but he’s always seemed like a kid who was interested in the idea of going far away from NY for college.

Why are some people saying JHH to Miami when most recruiting experts still have their CBs on Penn State, including Sean Fitz and Andrew Ellis, both of whom are quick to move their CBs elsewhere if facts and gossip hit the market. JHHs recruitment was weird since he went to State College a half a dozen times in 2018, and then a late November offer and a December visit to Miami was enough to sway JHH to Miami? Bizarre if that is the case.

Why are some people saying JHH to Miami when most recruiting experts still have their CBs on Penn State, including Sean Fitz and Andrew Ellis, both of whom are quick to move their CBs elsewhere if facts and gossip hit the market. JHHs recruitment was weird since he went to State College a half a dozen times in 2018, and then a late November offer and a December visit to Miami was enough to sway JHH to Miami? Bizarre if that is the case.

In spite of his lofty near God-like status, Fitz isn't quick to move his CB's. He generally plays it very safe and rarely takes any risks. Doesn't matter, because he has a crew of sycophants at 247 who believe he knows all.

That said, most of the crystal ball stuff is nonsense until the immediate 24-48 hr period before a kid commits. When the timeframe gets that short, the regional/national guys usually get an idea of where it's going and start the ball rolling.

In spite of his lofty near God-like status, Fitz isn't quick to move his CB's. He generally plays it very safe and rarely takes any risks. Doesn't matter, because he has a crew of sycophants at 247 who believe he knows all.

That said, most of the crystal ball stuff is nonsense until the immediate 24-48 hr period before a kid commits. When the timeframe gets that short, the regional/national guys usually get an idea of where it's going and start the ball rolling.

Are you pittdoc57 on the Pitt board?

JHH was leaning towards Miami, however PSU is getting back into mix.

The Ellies commitment will have no impact on JHH, as Ellies was confirmed in class when LOI received on December 19th.

PSU wants another DT in this class in addition to Ellies. Going hard after Sorrells and JHH
Thanks great intel appreciate it....I was wondering since the crystal balls were not updated and no one on this thread mentioned his visits of late. With Manny Diaz getting the HC job dont think that helped as he was their defensive leader...felt if the HC wasn't Manny JHH would be a Lion.

Reactions: MilesBarkley
Nick Cross S 6 6'1" 205 Official Visit 2/1/19 Florida State 9/3/18 VERBAL

TJ Jones WR 5.7 6'1" 175 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Demariyon Houston WR 5.7 6'0" 165 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Wisdom Asaboro DT 5.6 6'8" 280 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided

Doug Nester OG 5.9 6'6" 312 Official Visit 1/25/19 Ohio State 8/5/18 SOFT

Joseph Darkwa DT 5.6 6'5" 260 Official Visit 1/25/19 Undecided ** Added to keep it all together; for all to see.

Hopefully somebody or two fine young men pledge to the Nittany Lions after this weekend.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Wouldn’t be shocked if CJF shoots for 3 DTs
I think Sorrells was at South Carolina for OV this weekend
Also wouldn’t be surprised if staff poaches an unsigned OT or two - maybe not the 4* or5*

Can some of the EEs be back dated to last year?
I am thinking 24 plus one or two Grad Transfers.

Good question. Since we signed 23 last year ... and 2 of those had to drop the sport because of health issues ... perhaps we can sign 29 this year? If so, adding 9 more would get us to 83 in August.

If CJF could add Cross, Nester and Sorrels, and about any other player the class would move to # 4 in the current 247 ratings. Gotta believe he will get another WR as well. I'm sure not focused on ratings, but rather CJF just getting the players he is going hard after going down the stretch till the Feb late signing period. But with all the scholarships open even if he gets his top choices he can still bring in another late bloomer such as the DE/DT from Germany. And maybe a couple Grad Transfers for depth as well.

Seems that CJF just eats up the roster management issues at they arise...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT