ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Recruiting Question: I listened to Keystone Sports Network podcast this morning and a question was asked to Ross Tucker about the difference in impact, defensive line players at CLEM, ALA, and UGA and the impact, defensive line players at PS and Tucker said that Penn State is "not close" to those three schools at DT and that a wide gap exists. Thoughts if the remaining 2019 DT prospects that could sign with PS could help to"close the gap" that Tucker talks about?

Rivals was not kind to our current commits in their latest update.

D. Ford - downgraded to a 4*
M. Wilson - downgraded to a 3*
M. Johnson Jr. - downgraded to a 3*

Outside of Cain, most commits saw some drop in their overall rating. Weak sauce.

Farrell hates us. Dude is a huge douche. He single handedly made it nearly impossible for PSU to have the best class in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Recruiting Question: I listened to Keystone Sports Network podcast this morning and a question was asked to Ross Tucker about the difference in impact, defensive line players at CLEM, ALA, and UGA and the impact, defensive line players at PS and Tucker said that Penn State is "not close" to those three schools at DT and that a wide gap exists. Thoughts if the remaining 2019 DT prospects that could sign with PS could help to"close the gap" that Tucker talks about?

There was a study done about first round defensive tackles. Most of them arrived in college much lighter and many of them played a different position originally. They key is building up strength and weight and keeping your athleticism. So recruiting rankings aren’t always the best measure of finding great DTs.

No one except Ohio State recruits like UGA and Alabama, but the last two years we are right there with them. Guys like Mustipher, Hansard, Culpepper etc had offers from all the big boys. It’s just a matter of developing them. And Ross doesn’t follow recruiting very closely. He doesn’t know who has offers from where.

Farrell hates us. Dude is a huge douche. He single handedly made it nearly impossible for PSU to have the best class in the Big Ten.

Same story every year. Tired of complaining about it. Someone should ask him how Brandon Smith isn’t a 5 star. And how Lance Dixon, who was a holy terror at AA practices, ranked 49 overall by 247, doesn’t make Rivals Top 250. Absolute horseshit.

There was a study done about first round defensive tackles. Most of them arrived in college much lighter and many of them played a different position originally. They key is building up strength and weight and keeping your athleticism. So recruiting rankings aren’t always the best measure of finding great DTs.

No one except Ohio State recruits like UGA and Alabama, but the last two years we are right there with them. Guys like Mustipher, Hansard, Culpepper etc had offers from all the big boys. It’s just a matter of developing them. And Ross doesn’t follow recruiting very closely. He doesn’t know who has offers from where.
If we were to land Ellies and Sorrells then that would be adding a guy ranked in the 290s and one ranked in the 160s. That is solid talent to be adding in the interior with Mustipher being top 100 and Hansard like 200. You could call that closing the gap considering Givens, Windsor, and Shelton were 3 stars that Spence has really coached up, and Galt beefed up. However, Bama, UGA, OSU, and Clemson to a degree have multiple top 100 guys from their respective years in their DL room. It definitely doesn’t put us in their range, but you could argue it’s closing the gap. To Judge’s point, I’d say Galt and Spence do more for that than recruiting at this point.

2020 offers some great opportunities with Bresee being a flex guy, Brevard is a monster, Izzard, Bailey, we’ll see what’s up with Williams, and Carmody could play that side of the ball. All of those guys are top 200.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Same story every year. Tired of complaining about it. Someone should ask him how Brandon Smith isn’t a 5 star. And how Lance Dixon, who was a holy terror at AA practices, ranked 49 overall by 247, doesn’t make Rivals Top 250. Absolute horseshit.
Who cares? Everybody has an opinion. Look at an average of all the rankings.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Drops our average star ranking down to No. 8 in Rivals. Not sure what it was before but we were No. 4 on the composite.

https://rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

Edit: Drops us from 4th to 5th in the composite average rankings with Auburn jumping us:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

No. I'm the guy that doesn't just make shit up. :)
BTW.... I'd say, if star ratings had a value.... Barkley would have been an unanimous 6 star (at least).
SB was a very good player in high school at Whitehall but not superstar until he developed his none stop workout routine at PSU. Definitely Played more like a high 3star to low 4star in high school

SB was a very good player in high school at Whitehall but not superstar until he developed his none stop workout routine at PSU. Definitely Played more like a high 3star to low 4star in high school

Every camp that he went to, he was voted the best running back. Every one he out-performed players ranked above him. He should have been a 5 star.

4-star Travis Jay, projected as a S, has committed to Florida State. Might this help PSU’s chances of getting Cross?

Apparently Jay's been committed to FSU for a while, but confirmed this past week that he will sign with FSU, thereby creating a new step in the commitment process. Soft Verbal < Silent Verbal < Hard Verbal < WILL SIGN < Silent Sign < Signed < Enrolled

FSU has two safeties on their board already, one who is enrolled (Raymond Woodie III - whose father is the LB coach at FSU) and another who is a commit (Brendan Gant). Gant has only one official visit scheduled before NSD (per 247) and it's at FSU. Jay has the size to be a safety as well.

The UMass offer to Cross in December is interesting. The offer was extended by UMass's new DC, Rahim, who previously worked at MD (2016-18), and Bama (2014-15). I'm speculating, but did Rahim have a good recruiting relationship with Cross during his time at MD (and perhaps at Bama) - so much so that Rahim became directly aware that Cross was looking elsewhere? Just a thought.

Also a good sign that Cross's only listed visit before NSD is PSU.

Every camp that he went to, he was voted the best running back. Every one he out-performed players ranked above him. He should have been a 5 star.
In retrospect he certainly should have been a 5 star and I’m glad for both our sake and his that we signed him Because the poor guy never would have seen the field in Rutgers crowded backfield.

Who cares? Everybody has an opinion. Look at an average of all the rankings.
The issue is when one service’s opinion is consistently proven to be worse than another’s. The one that’s wrong tends to lose credibility. Rivals has shown to be only slightly more accurate than ESPN, and should be given the appropriate amount of respect.

Has anyone ever done a study of these rankings for accuracy? I know NFL talent isn’t always fair when judging a college career. But how kids are ranked vs how they get drafted should at least give some insight into which services do better overall.

One thing is clear is that Narduzzi really has a bug up his ass about us, even though we don't play in the same conference, don't recruit the same players, and after next year won't play again until he's retired or dead.

Frankly, I love it. He reveals himself to be a very, very small man when he acts like this. No wonder he can't recruit worth shit.

One thing is clear is that Narduzzi really has a bug up his ass about us, even though we don't play in the same conference, don't recruit the same players, and after next year won't play again until he's retired or dead.

Frankly, I love it. He reveals himself to be a very, very small man when he acts like this. No wonder he can't recruit worth shit.

He really should focus on trolling GA State, MTSU, and MAC teams; those are the schools he's competing against for the remaining recruits looking at Pitt.

I am pretty sure it isn't "Duze who does these tweets. My guess is that they have a clerk or intern. Guy is plucky though. Obviously trying to scare recruits by highlighting our transfers. Meanwhile, CJF will point to our success on the field in in preparing kids for post PSU life (NFL, education, transfer).

Dooz's intern wants that second key chain almost as bad as he does.

Evey service I saw in their last ranking for his class had him as 4 star.

The star ranking system is replete with flaws. I keep an eye on 247 because it aggregates, therefore lowering the skew from the biases and flaws of systems like Rivals pay for stars and other regional, cultural and affiliation biases.

I wasn’t talking about camps just during the high school season. Whitehall wasn’t undefeated. I was hoping during his high school senior season that he could of made a run in the state tournament but that didn’t happen. I live near Whitehall That’s all

Reactions: Judge Smails
Barkley was not a dominant back in HS. I coached a little for Parkland youth football and watched Austin Scott and Barkley both in HS. Not even close. Barkley had about 1,500 yards on a very talented Whitehall team that underachieved. Scott broke state records for yards with 3,800 and TDs with 53 on an overachieving Parkland team that won the state championship. Barkley absolutely exploded in college due to his work ethic and dedication to the weight room. We know the how the story ended with Austin Scott. So Barkley was about where he should have been as far as his rating.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/..._football_training_camp_new_jersey_recap.html

Sunday, NJ.com attended Nike Football Training Camp held at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J. Upwards of 400 players attended the invite–only event, as they competed for top honors and an opportunity to compete at the Opening.

Most valuable player positional honors went to the aforementioned Wimbush (QB), Hatton (OL) and Reid (DB) as well as Scotch Plains (N.J.) Fanwood sophomore DL Rashan Gary, Whitehall (Pa.) RB Saquon Barkley (who flipped his commitment from Rutgers to Penn State in February), Erasmus Hall (Brooklyn, N.Y.) LB Deonte Roberts andParkland (Allentown, Pa.) WR Jarey Elder.

Spencer's tweet has to do with negative recruiting. Which is recruiting related and thus belongs in the recruiting thread.

Ya'll m*therf*ckers are bossy as sh#t.
Narduzzi is such a low life piece of s-**t! The man cannot recruit to save his ass so he spins the negative bs at every opportunity. Even Pitt deserves better than that Dantonio coat tail riding jackass.

Barkley was not a dominant back in HS. I coached a little for Parkland youth football and watched Austin Scott and Barkley both in HS. Not even close. Barkley had about 1,500 yards on a very talented Whitehall team that underachieved. Scott broke state records for yards with 3,800 and TDs with 53 on an overachieving Parkland team that won the state championship. Barkley absolutely exploded in college due to his work ethic and dedication to the weight room. We know the how the story ended with Austin Scott. So Barkley was about where he should have been as far as his rating.

That's funny. Perhaps physical maturation rates are not measured with the star system. There is not a person in the medical profession that does not know that male physical development to maturity spans a longer period of years than females. Furthermore, all the weight lifting in the world for many young athletes will not add body mass at 17-18 years old as when they are 19 and 20 years old. You are right about serveral things. Barkley was ranked a 4 star based at the end of his senior season and that was about right. Look at his weight and physique at that point. Look at Barkley after he dropped track from his sights and focused solely and with great seriousness on building muscle mass for football.

The point is that these snapshot ratings are cute gimmicks to grab our attention and make us pay for 'insider'... lol.... information which ignores very significant inside information. An old guy that developed what he called the 'bird dogging system of rating HS talent' made us oldtimers involved fill charts with freshman, sophomore, Junior and senior ht, wght and various speed data while filming players and factored these into decisions. Now they through a 3 or 4 star on a guy and say he has a huge upside.... or some such phrase. Stars are nice things.... and then there are Nassibs. If your program understands and lets it happen.

Reactions: TheGLOV
That's funny. Perhaps physical maturation rates are not measured with the star system. There is not a person in the medical profession that does not know that male physical development to maturity spans a longer period of years than females. Furthermore, all the weight lifting in the world for many young athletes will not add body mass at 17-18 years old as when they are 19 and 20 years old. You are right about serveral things. Barkley was ranked a 4 star based at the end of his senior season and that was about right. Look at his weight and physique at that point. Look at Barkley after he dropped track from his sights and focused solely and with great seriousness on building muscle mass for football.

The point is that these snapshot ratings are cute gimmicks to grab our attention and make us pay for 'insider'... lol.... information which ignores very significant inside information. An old guy that developed what he called the 'bird dogging system of rating HS talent' made us oldtimers involved fill charts with freshman, sophomore, Junior and senior ht, wght and various speed data while filming players and factored these into decisions. Now they through a 3 or 4 star on a guy and say he has a huge upside.... or some such phrase. Stars are nice things.... and then there are Nassibs. If your program understands and lets it happen.
Directionally the rating system has merit. But lots of kids defy the ratings, up and down. I am more interested in PSU getting the kids they want. I trust the staff.

Directionally the rating system has merit. But lots of kids defy the ratings, up and down. I am more interested in PSU getting the kids they want. I trust the staff.

Directionally to some extent, but putting a DL in a 10yd x field wdth box against a standing OL with a non movng dummy 10 yards down field is more a measure of the ineptitude than a measuring tool of skill of the athlete. Pitting offensive players that have never played together after a weeks practice against defensive players as a measuring tool of either the O or D players is beyond worthless.

The growth rate numbers over time were in large part why PSU under Paterno was able to win so many bowl games as underdogs. He and his staff picked HS FBs and TEs as future DLs and OLs based on valid data growth rate data very efficiently. It is a standard statistical and scientfici fact that measurement must be taken when it is relevant to outcomes. I believe CJF and staff used these same tools when assessing Kevin Givens. Givens development as a DT was no surprise except to those rating the HS players. There is a reason some coaching staffs and their players over achieve and ascend and others do the opposite. Hell, none of these star ratings involve any psychological testing.... which obviously would have vailidity in many instances .... 5 star head cases... remember any?

Directionally to some extent, but putting a DL in a 10yd x field wdth box against a standing OL with a non movng dummy 10 yards down field is more a measure of the ineptitude than a measuring tool of skill of the athlete. Pitting offensive players that have never played together after a weeks practice against defensive players as a measuring tool of either the O or D players is beyond worthless.

The growth rate numbers over time were in large part why PSU under Paterno was able to win so many bowl games as underdogs. He and his staff picked HS FBs and TEs as future DLs and OLs based on valid data growth rate data very efficiently. It is a standard statistical and scientfici fact that measurement must be taken when it is relevant to outcomes. I believe CJF and staff used these same tools when assessing Kevin Givens. Givens development as a DT was no surprise except to those rating the HS players. There is a reason some coaching staffs and their players over achieve and ascend and others do the opposite. Hell, none of these star ratings involve any psychological testing.... which obviously would have vailidity in many instances .... 5 star head cases... remember any?
I think those days are over. If you look at success rate associated with recruiting class ranks you'll see a correlation. That's not to say a five star is a shoe in, or a kid going to Kent can't become an all pro. But life is easier with four and five star kids

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT