ADVERTISEMENT

2021-22 PSU Ice Hockey Thread

Penn State is hosting Canisius tonight and tomorrow afternoon (1:00 PM faceoff so the game ends before the football game begins). Both games appear to be on BTN+. Follow along here for updates. I'm going to watch tonight for sure. Not sure I'll be able to watch tomorrow's game live but I'm sure someone will keep us updated throughout the game.

It’s evolving right now more than it’s growing. Alabama Huntsville suspended its program for at least the next year. Robert Morris shut down its men’s and women’s programs and it’s iffy if they will be back. And both Alaska schools are in trouble as well.

Long Island played its first season this past winter. St. Thomas is starting up a program this fall if all goes as planned. Lindenwood is trying to start a Men’s program. So is Augustana.

So presently it’s one step forward another step back. Hopefully post covid things start moving forward again.
Augustana broke ground this week and is targeting a fall of 2023 start to their program. St. Thomas did move up from Division 3 and will host Penn State for a pair this season. We just played Long Island. They don't look out of place and hopefully land in a conference soon (unless they have and I didn't hear about it).

I haven't heard anything more about Lindenwood. The school I'm really hoping starts a hockey program is Tennessee State. That would be something if it happens.

Augustana broke ground this week and is targeting a fall of 2023 start to their program. St. Thomas did move up from Division 3 and will host Penn State for a pair this season. We just played Long Island. They don't look out of place and hopefully land in a conference soon (unless they have and I didn't hear about it).

I haven't heard anything more about Lindenwood. The school I'm really hoping starts a hockey program is Tennessee State. That would be something if it happens.

TSU right in downtown Nashville. I would think the Preds might want to lend some aid.

Among bigger programs, Illinois did announce maybe 2 years ago that they were exploring making the jump to varsity as well

Down 1-0 two and a half, three minutes into the second period.
The first period was like my senior prom…. Lots of moves and no action. Including wasting 33 seconds of a two man advantage. Shouldn’t be struggling like this.
We tie it 1-1 on a beautiful back handed pass which I only saw from the Mount Nittany Club as I was finishing my beer. 😡

update… Kevin Wall got the goal, still don’t know who made the nifty pass. Still 1-1 halfway through the second period.

Reactions: CentexLion
Instead of having a new thread each weekend, let’s try to have just one thread for the season.

Still 1-1 end of second period. PSU outshooting the Griffins 29-19 but honestly the game is a lot more even than that. canisius has had an equal number of quality chances.

4-1 after we give up an empty netter with the goalie pulled on a power play. This is not going to be best team. Tonight was awful.

• Angry
Reactions: NittanyLionFan
4-1 after we give up an empty netter with the goalie pulled on a power play. This is not going to be best team. Tonight was awful.
Too early? Canisius has a solid hockey program.

BTW We are now 2-2 with...Mercyhurst...The team jumped out to a lead, but let Mercyhurst back in. I think missing the season opening series with Alaska Fairbanks could be having an affect. This with a 43-25 shot lead. As I typed, Minnesota just scored. 3-2 Minnesota.

I got tied up with an unexpected visitor so I was about 20 minutes behind. What a clunker. Need to turn that around quickly.

Help me here. Is this the time of season where Coach Gadowski plays with lines to see which combination works best for the season? Lucia, and Motzko are known for this. Most of the time it plays off late in the season, but it can add gray hairs to many fans.

Nod to PSU during the hockey game. They talked about programs that can score in bunches. PSU was mentioned by name. Sounds like the announcers are excited about PSU's offense.

6-4 Gophers over Mercyhurst with 9:02 left in the 3rd period.

LIVE FROM PEGULA… Saturday 10/9

Vs. Canisius … let’s shake off last nights debacle.
Danny Dzinayiev the freshman coming off the penalty kill goes end to end through his legs and then the goalies legs for the 1-0 lead, three minutes into the first period!

Danny Dzinayiev the freshman coming off the penalty kill goes end to end through his legs and then the goalies legs for the 1-0 lead, three minutes into the first period!
Still 1-0 after first period. play has settled in but again I would say Canisius has the edge on attack zone time and quality chances. The end of the period started to feel like last night. gotta snap out of the funk.

Help me here. Is this the time of season where Coach Gadowski plays with lines to see which combination works best for the season? Lucia, and Motzko are known for this. Most of the time it plays off late in the season, but it can add gray hairs to many fans.
He’s definitely mixing and matching. But I think that continues throughout the season unless something continues to work.

Christian Sarlo blasts one over the goalies shoulder into the top of the net for the 3-0 lead three minutes into the third period! Still not pretty but the defense has been solid on the blocks tonight and Soulliere has been stout in goal. Shots are 30-29 PSU.

Christian Sarlo blasts one over the goalies shoulder into the top of the net for the 3-0 lead three minutes into the third period! Still not pretty but the defense has been solid on the blocks tonight and Soulliere has been stout in goal. Shots are 30-29 PSU.
Canisius short handed goal cuts it to 3-1 with 9 minutes To go but Tyler Gratton buries the back hand power play goal 30 seconds later for the 4-1 lead! 8 minutes left to go now.

• Angry
B1G teams definitely cycle with talent. This team is talented but young and will get better. Expect next few seasons our team will be very dangerous. This year will have some challenges.

He’s definitely mixing and matching. But I think that continues throughout the season unless something continues to work.
Motzko has run it in a similar way. Usually, there is little change after Christmas though. That is unless things fall apart. From what I saw last night the defense is suspect. The goalie wasn't very sharp last night, nor was the defense as a whole.

Puck is getting ready to drop against Mercyhurst.

Nice win today for Penn State!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Motzko has run it in a similar way. Usually, there is little change after Christmas though. That is unless things fall apart. From what I saw last night the defense is suspect. The goalie wasn't very sharp last night, nor was the defense as a whole.

Puck is getting ready to drop against Mercyhurst.

Nice win today for Penn State!
If you’re talking about PSU’s defense, Phillips missed both games. Since he’s on the top pairing, that shifts a lot of stuff around.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you’re talking about PSU’s defense, Phillips missed both games. Since he’s on the top pairing, that shifts a lot of stuff around.
I was talking about Minnesota's defense in this case. I've yet to see Penn State's team this season. Sometimes I think both of our teams get a little loose/ sloppy on defense because we are always trying to push the puck for the next goal.

Reactions: psu00 and TheGLOV
LIVE FROM PEGULA for the final time on BWI.

Thursday 10/21 vs. the Niagara Purple Eagles

PSU opens the scoring 11:32 in to the first Kevin Wall buries it on the fly on a beautiful centering pass. 1-0 PSU

LIVE FROM PEGULA for the final time on BWI.

Thursday 10/21 vs. the Niagara Purple Eagles

PSU opens the scoring 11:32 in to the first Kevin Wall buries it on the fly on a beautiful centering pass. 1-0 PSU
A long flurry 6 minutes into the second period in front of the net ends with Ben Shoen stuffing it behind the goalie. 2-0 PSU

Brian Tripp commented about a hit that sent a Purple Eagle into their bench, between the 2nd and 3rd PSU goals, that it was one of the better hits he's seen in Pegula!

Sloppy third period but Autio stood tall and earned the shutout. That’s his second consecutive shutout against Niagara. Autio got the 2-0 shutout the last time these teams played — January 4, 2020.
I take it a sweep is likely here along with back to back shutouts?

We take on our instate rival UMD for a home and home this weekend. Nervous about this one.

I take it a sweep is likely here along with back to back shutouts?

We take on our instate rival UMD for a home and home this weekend. Nervous about this one.
A sweep is likely but maybe not another shutout. I expect Souliere to be in goal tonight. He played well against Canisius and got a win. But our defense seems to have lapses here and there and the goalie can’t make every stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT