ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Olympic Wrestling Match Thread and USA Wrestlers.

Solid in three years?
I'm pumped to see him develop after college but you are right, hes great right now! I honestly think he could be a much better freestyle wrestler than folk. Wished I was as versed as guys like Jefe. I wonder how people felt about Nick coming out of highschool in regards to him having a brighter future in folk or freestyle. I look at him wrestling freestyle and to my novice eye I think hes even better...

I'm pumped to see him develop after college but you are right, hes great right now! I honestly think he could be a much better freestyle wrestler than folk. Wished I was as versed as guys like Jefe. I wonder how people felt about Nick coming out of highschool in regards to him having a brighter future in folk or freestyle. I look at him wrestling freestyle and to my novice eye I think hes even better...
Jammen's gonna run out of checks for people who flatter me.

Seriously ... I'm not that plugged in, that I knew much about Nick Lee. Cael got him, and In Cael We Trust.

Then I looked him up and saw he wrecked Sasso. (Which I might have seen before but forgotten because Indiana.) I knew how good Sasso was. So that was a clue.

After going through the kids PSU has in the fold, I'm now convinced that this Olympic cycle was just a simple coming out party and the best for the NLWC is surely yet to come. Admittedly don't follow freestyle like I do with folk and after researching a bit, I didnt realize all the success these boys have had in Cadets and Juniors. I mean Wow! PSU and the NLWC has some serious threats for the next two Olympic cycles. Not just potential but obvious threats if their freestyle history is any indication. If anyone out there is like me and not so versed in freestyle, spend some time looking up what guys like RBY. Bartlett, Lee, Starocci, Brooks and Kerk have done in free. If I have time this week I'm gonna go through entire roster all the way through to our newest addition in Haines. Just want to see it all on paper to get the "feel goods" I guess .. lol
The UWW site also includes the records for those who have competed in Cadets and Juniors at an UWW event. You can look up each wrestler by name. For instance, the site shows Aaron Brooks' record for his one Cadet and two Junior World Championships appearances. One caution, though, the search function is very specific, so sometimes you will have to play around with using variations of the wrestlers' names. Sometimes it is best to only use their last name. For instance, when I typed in Aaron Brooks, nothing came up. When I only included Brooks, he was listed under A. Brooks. And for those who didn't know, his middle name is Marquel per UWW! UWW athletes search

For the record, I enjoyed him on the mic. But he definitely had a heavy "American" interpretation of the rules that was contrary to how it was actually called. But overall a joy to listen to. I would have loved to see him and JB together for these big matches.

For the Snyder match, it's important to remember that the passivity call is mandatory in a scoreless match so they have to pick somebody. It was pretty even, but Snyder broke contact a little more often and Sadulaev was standing a little taller in his stance with his head up. That's another quirk that Americans get punished for. Our lower stance is often considered defensive in posture.

With the Hildebrandt match, my suspicion is that she was punished for tying up hands. That's also typically frowned upon. She took the only attack, but she also spent the first 1:30 tying up the wrists from neutral. Again, it's not like she was overwhelmingly aggressive to that point.

Did anyone else think John Smith was taking a shot at Cael when he was encouraging Snyder to stop trying to work ankle picks on Sadulaev because they would never work on someone with his skill level. He said something to the effect of "it must be something new to him".
Maybe I'm being too sensitive.
Yes. No question. Thought his commentary was overall awful as well.

Send 5 in freestyle and they all get medals, yet can't qualify anyone at 65?

Doesn't make sense; hopefully, will be 6 qualifiers and 6 medalists in 2024. Could happen.
USA beat 2 of the 4 medalists this year -- Zain beat Punia (bronze) and Pantaleo beat Aliyev (silver).

Pantaleo also beat 5th placer Niyazbekov 2x this year.

Yet we couldn't qualify the weight.

Send 5 in freestyle and they all get medals, yet can't qualify anyone at 65?

Doesn't make sense; hopefully, will be 6 qualifiers and 6 medalists in 2024. Could happen.
Our best chance to qualify was Zain at Pan Americans (?) last year, and it was expected to be a breeze, but Zain unfortunately got caught and pinned by a lesser wrestler (it happens), and then the guy who beat him didn't advance and that was it. This is from my poor memory, anyway.
Then Oliver didn't place top 2 at last chance this year

I believe that match was the semis, and it was the case that either the winner or the top two qualified, so losing in the semis ended that possibility.
It was top 2 who qualified, I think Zain was the next in line if one of the top 2 dropped out for some reason.

I will be the first to say that I came out of this Olympics with a much greater appreciation for Women's freestyle wrestling. I realize that they train as hard as the men do, but they have to put their family plans on hold, unlike the men.
Adeline Gray's interview, after her heartbreaking loss was so good and she talked about her personal sacrifices while showing her gratefulness to represent team USA. Adeline was also the consummate teammate when it came time to support any of her team USA wrestlers, during their matches. I'm posting her post gold medal match interview, but unfortunately the sound quality is poor.

An easy way to see what these guys have done is go to Trackwrestling.com.

Click on Browse at the top
Profiles on the left
Search Athletes on the right
Click Search
Enter the wrestlers first and last names
Tab down twice to Hometown and just hit enter

For some reason it often shows no results without tabbing down. For example, Nick Lee has 2 profiles. His main one is listed as Team - Keith Clausen (no idea why) and Hometown - Evansville. Click on the Evansville profile and you can find most of his results going all the way back to 2007. Occasionally there will be results that don't belong to that wrestler, but you can pretty much figure that out easily.

On Joe Lee's profile you can see he wrestled in the McDonough Duals in 2013 with the Young Guns. Also on that team was Matt, Nick and Spencer Lee. Joe bumped up to 102 from 97 lbs and lost a 2-0 decision to some guy named Aaron Brooks on a team from Maryland. Spencer Lee WBF over Shane Griffith at 107 lbs,

Lots of interesting results you can find in addition to just Fargo titles, etc. Note: some tournaments like the Super 32 were not on Track so those results aren't there.

I will be the first to say that I came out of this Olympics with a much greater appreciation for Women's freestyle wrestling. I realize that they train as hard as the men do, but they have to put their family plans on hold, unlike the men.
Adeline Gray's interview, after her heartbreaking loss was so good and she talked about her personal sacrifices while showing her gratefulness to represent team USA. Adeline was also the consummate teammate when it came time to support any of her team USA wrestlers, during their matches. I'm posting her post gold medal match interview, but unfortunately the sound quality is poor.

I agree. I never paid any attention to women's wrestling other than knowing Kayla Miracle and Sarah Hildebrandt, both from Indiana, were good. But I've watched some, most of the OTT Trials and all of the women's matches at the Olympics. Getting to see not only their talents but their personalities got me hooked. Now, I don't see myself going to watch a girl's HS wrestling dual where I don't know anyone, but my interest level is definitely much higher now

An easy way to see what these guys have done is go to Trackwrestling.com.

Click on Browse at the top
Profiles on the left
Search Athletes on the right
Click Search
Enter the wrestlers first and last names
Tab down twice to Hometown and just hit enter

For some reason it often shows no results without tabbing down. For example, Nick Lee has 2 profiles. His main one is listed as Team - Keith Clausen (no idea why) and Hometown - Evansville. Click on the Evansville profile and you can find most of his results going all the way back to 2007. Occasionally there will be results that don't belong to that wrestler, but you can pretty much figure that out easily.

On Joe Lee's profile you can see he wrestled in the McDonough Duals in 2013 with the Young Guns. Also on that team was Matt, Nick and Spencer Lee. Joe bumped up to 102 from 97 lbs and lost a 2-0 decision to some guy named Aaron Brooks on a team from Maryland. Spencer Lee WBF over Shane Griffith at 107 lbs,

Lots of interesting results you can find in addition to just Fargo titles, etc. Note: some tournaments like the Super 32 were not on Track so those results aren't there.
Really good info. Thanks a bunch. Ill check that out.

Reactions: WreslingFan0314
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT