ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Positive stuff about OSU Day and the staff. That it was close to family in OH and PA. Positive stuff on Dabo and their staff. Positive stuff on Smart and UGA. Then mentioned PSU and said, "we've been there so often, we know what the ride is like."

That doesn't sound like an endorsement. Luckily Davis might have missed his spot in OSU's class. I'd rather just beat them out for him.
Thanks!

Reactions: TheGLOV
They're definitely enamored with the OSU secondary to the NFL pipeline, but they were recently put off by Day's suggestion that Davis would play OLB in Columbus.
I think PSU suggested this at one point too. I think he does grow into a OLB, but probably plays a role similar to Isaiah Simmons.

Also can't forget about S Donovan McMillon from Peters Township outside of PGH. Kid is blowing up right now with recent offers from PSU, Mich, ND, OK, etc. He's 6'2 180lbs and more of the Marcus Allen mold.
Yes he is blowing up as is currently low ranked VA DE Trevion Stevenson. Will be interesting to see how McMillon impacts Wheatley with Reed likely coming into the class and Davis still on the board.

I think PSU suggested this at one point too. I think he does grow into a OLB, but probably plays a role similar to Isaiah Simmons.

Yes he is blowing up as is currently low ranked VA DE Trevion Stevenson. Will be interesting to see how McMillon impacts Wheatley with Reed likely coming into the class and Davis still on the board.

BMW, in your previous post, were you implying, and Dohn implied as well, that Williams’ Dad is shopping his son around as part of his recruitment? I’ve heard here in the DC metro area that if Lincoln Riley stays at Oklahoma (does not go to the NFL, which was the clarification that Williams was seeking when he visited a couple of weeks ago) then Williams will go to Oklahoma, but if not, he is going to stay home and go to Maryland.

Does the staff currently view Wheatley as a DB? I was under the impression he was going to play WR in college

thanks again BMW!

I took the plunge today at that discount. My contributions to this board will obviously change. Some points I'll add from today since it is open.
Wiltfong alluded to it but this OL class could be SPECIAL.
Funny how some dads see it differently. Hated Davis Srs comments. Most likely the guy Dohn was talking about on the pod last week.
Jeudy's comments about the south were not good for us. I think that one will play out though.
Gilliam is probably better in the long run, but hate letting Malone go elsewhere.
Schiano has Rutgers moving. They might get 7 of the top 10 out of Jersey. In play already for the top '22 NJ guys, but unlikely to land them.
Williams comments in SI were plain awful. Recruiting for OU already, but I get the feeling he is a flavor of the week type of kid and that is why dad is taking an active role in trying to transfer proof his recruitment. Dohn kind of alluded to that without saying it.
Reed coming to PSU and Michigan is open for business. If UM loses more than 3 including a loss to OSU it might be curtains on this regime.
Seems like this will be a smaller class (22?).

Been a long time since I've done this, but why not...
My Crystal Ball Is In:
5* OT Rucci, 4* S Reed, 4* WR Prather, 4* S Wheatley, 3* CB Warren

Very Good Chance:
5* OT Leigh, 4* WR Thornton, 4* DL Gilliam, 4* WR Brown, 4* QB Veilleux

In The Battle:
5* CB Grimes, 5* S Davis Jr., 4* CB Johnson, 4* OG Spindler, 4* DE Jeudy, 4* WR Farooq, 4* DE Armitage, 4* DE Harris, 4* OG Burton, 4* CB King, 4* LB Buddin, 4* DT Williams, 4* ATH Brown, 4* RB Daniels, 4* TE Pugh, 4* LB Alleyne, 4* DE Bennett, 3* DT Ford, 3* LB King, 3* CB Cheek 3* ATH Davis Jr., 3* CB Oladokun, 3* S McMillon

Work Left To Do:
5* QB Williams, 4* RB Edwards, 4* DT Malone, 4* DE Langston, 4* TE Bowers, 4* DE Donald, 4* OT Benny, 4* TE Fidone, 4* RB Kiner, 4* DE Goodwine, 4* DE Brown, 4* TE Matavo, 4* LB Colson, 4* LB Karlaftis, 4* LB Penn III, 4* DT Evans, 4* DT Rooks, 4* CB Ortiz, 4* TE Hansen, 4* RB Estime, 4* S Johnson, 3* DT Gillespie, 3* DE Mobley, 3* DE Oyne, 3* RB Newton, 3*ATH Mines, 3* OC Estes, 3* CB Barnes, 3* CB Smith

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* LB Lewis, 4* QB Nussmeier, 4* DE Story, 4* DT Bradley

Wouldn't put too much stock in how Schiano does in NJ this year. Right now, there may be 3-4 prospects worth pursuing. Schiano certainly will recruit NJ better than Ash did, but so would my grandmother and she's been dead for 40 years....and she spoke about three words of English.

BMW, in your previous post, were you implying, and Dohn implied as well, that Williams’ Dad is shopping his son around as part of his recruitment? I’ve heard here in the DC metro area that if Lincoln Riley stays at Oklahoma (does not go to the NFL, which was the clarification that Williams was seeking when he visited a couple of weeks ago) then Williams will go to Oklahoma, but if not, he is going to stay home and go to Maryland.
That sounds like UMD spin. I do believe OU leads, as has been stated by the professionals. Dohn said on the pod, "We sit here on March 30th and it is Oklahoma..." He then continued about the him taking visits. The SI comments certainly indicate Caleb is currently recruiting "help" to OU, but go back in his twitter feed 3 months ago. It was all the same but for LSU. I would be shocked if he signs on the dotted line for UMD.

Does the staff currently view Wheatley as a DB? I was under the impression he was going to play WR in college

thanks again BMW!
I don't know how the staff views him. I had read somewhere online safety, but also still an athlete.

Our mods think 2 more CB/S will be in the 2021 OSU class. The staff really likes Jahtzen Dunn. Jaylin Davies, Kamar Wilcoxson have also been mentioned. Kerry Coombs is making Tony Grimes a high priority.
I don't see Davis in the class unless they see him as an OLB. Other names have been mentioned at OLB.

Our mods think 2 more CB/S will be in the 2021 OSU class. The staff really likes Jahtzen Dunn. Jaylin Davies, Kamar Wilcoxson have also been mentioned. Kerry Coombs is making Tony Grimes a high priority.
I don't see Davis in the class unless they see him as an OLB. Other names have been mentioned at OLB.
I’m sure you’ll get whoever you want.

$$$

Reactions: seminnylion
I don't know how the staff views him. I had read somewhere online safety, but also still an athlete.
"online safety"!?! That's just great. My kids have online school now but I didn't think social distancing would carry in to the season and certainly not on to the field. Just when you thought our secondary couldn't get further away from the opponent's receivers, now they'll be online!?!

"online safety"!?! That's just great. My kids have online school now but I didn't think social distancing would carry in to the season and certainly not on to the field. Just when you thought our secondary couldn't get further away from the opponent's receivers, now they'll be online!?!

Makes sense. Our secondary was practicing social distancing last season before it was cool. So why not set this trend, too? ;)

That sounds like UMD spin. I do believe OU leads, as has been stated by the professionals. Dohn said on the pod, "We sit here on March 30th and it is Oklahoma..." He then continued about the him taking visits. The SI comments certainly indicate Caleb is currently recruiting "help" to OU, but go back in his twitter feed 3 months ago. It was all the same but for LSU. I would be shocked if he signs on the dotted line for UMD.
It would make a certain amount of sense to be ou. From the beginning Williams has noted a big criterion was an development. That, they have done.

Dominate the State...... of Michigan? Two crystal balls for Kalen and Kobe King from Cass Tech. Along with Reed, Spindler, Buddin and Edwards we have at least a shot at 6 of the top 13 in Michigan.

So we seem to be trending for Jaylen Reed, with a commitment coming before the dead period is lifted. That's good news.

Now seem to be the favorite for Kobe and Kalen King, and at least Kobe has suggested a commitment is coming soon.

Still not seeing Spindler in our future, but who knows? Regardless, we seem to be doing some good work in Michigan.

There's growing sentiment from the ND side that Spindler is favoring ND and PSU at the moment. While his dad did play at PITT, there doesn't seem to be any distaste for Franklin & Co. and they have a lot of family ties to the state of PA.

Am I penciling him in this class? No, but there are numerous sources suggesting that PSU is in a really good spot. Obviously Michigan has some built-in advantages we're working against too but that staff is notoriously lackadaisical.

Trautwein is very highly regarded in OL circles and is proving to be a very effective recruiter.

It feels like the Tengwall commitment gave us some much needed momentum all of a sudden, the next month or two seems like it's going to be fun.

Does the extended dead period ultimately help us or hurt us given so many new faces on the staff? Seems like anytime you have new coaches at key positions, you're playing catch-up and need the added face time to close the gap and develop those relationships. I wouldn't think the COVID-19 situation would be advantageous to those who are trying to catch up from behind.

But yes.....the Tengwall commitment could really get the train moving. That kind of momentum could make up for some of our disadvantages at the moment.

What's the feeling re: Goodwine at DE? Another case of needing to build a relationship quickly with a new DL coach.

Does the extended dead period ultimately help us or hurt us given so many new faces on the staff? Seems like anytime you have new coaches at key positions, you're playing catch-up and need the added face time to close the gap and develop those relationships. I wouldn't think the COVID-19 situation would be advantageous to those who are trying to catch up from behind.

But yes.....the Tengwall commitment could really get the train moving. That kind of momentum could make up for some of our disadvantages at the moment.

What's the feeling re: Goodwine at DE? Another case of needing to build a relationship quickly with a new DL coach.

I think we're seeing it go both ways. For example, Tengwall not being able to take that March visit to ND seems to have helped us. Rucci only being a 2-hour drive away and his familiarity with PSU is another thing going for us - kid can't visit all his suitors across the country. Tim Banks is definitely taking advantage of the current situation in Michigan. MSU has landed a lot of these kids we're currently trending for but because of coaching turnover and the virus, their staff can't get out and build relationships. Banks took some heat from fans this past season, but most don't realize how good of a recruiter he is.

Where I think it's going to hurt us this cycle is at DL and WR. The unexpected departures of Spencer/Parker seem to have left us in a bit of a scramble. Stubbs and Scott seem to have shifted focus to relationships they have from their old gigs. Hoping that the Barnes/Philly connection can help us land Jeudy.

In regard to Goodwine, I think PSU is surprised to have landed in his top 5. Get him on campus and anything can happen so we'll see. I think the general sentiment is that he wants to play in the $EC.

I think we're seeing it go both ways. For example, Tengwall not being able to take that March visit to ND seems to have helped us. Rucci only being a 2-hour drive away and his familiarity with PSU is another thing going for us - kid can't visit all his suitors across the country. Tim Banks is definitely taking advantage of the current situation in Michigan. MSU has landed a lot of these kids we're currently trending for but because of coaching turnover and the virus, their staff can't get out and build relationships. Banks took some heat from fans this past season, but most don't realize how good of a recruiter he is.

Where I think it's going to hurt us this cycle is at DL and WR. The unexpected departures of Spencer/Parker seem to have left us in a bit of a scramble. Stubbs and Scott seem to have shifted focus to relationships they have from their old gigs. Hoping that the Barnes/Philly connection can help us land Jeudy.

In regard to Goodwine, I think PSU is surprised to have landed in his top 5. Get him on campus and anything can happen so we'll see. I think the general sentiment is that he wants to play in the $EC.
Agree on Barnes. I hadn't realized he had come aboard as a Grad Assistant. Looks like he has some relationships that may pay dividends for us.

From rivals main page. Ranking the Contenders for Rucci:

1. Penn State
Coming off of the commitment of Landon Tengwall,
Penn State has to like what this offensive line class could look like at the end of the cycle. James Franklin and his staff have to feel like they’re playing with a loaded deck here. Penn State has almost every advantage a team could ask for when recruiting an elite prospect and it feels more like “when” than “if” Rucci commits to Penn State. As long as Penn State doesn’t have a misstep, they should be able to sign the in-state legacy prospect.

I know Todd Rucci used to take his two sons up to see games when he worked for a utility that invited business people on catered bus trips to PSU games.

His older boy is attending Wisconsin and plays TE.

Bama, Clemson, ND and tOSU head coaches all visited the younger boy at school.

I would not be surprised to see the kid go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT