ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

Nick Singleton also shot up the 247 rankings and he is now a Top 50 overall player and a Top 5 running back recruit. ... And for whatever unknown reason, we have cooled on Tevin White and the southern schools are pressing for him more.

And given the lack of visits as well as camps now, short of a character issue the other logical explanation would be that the staff has one of those dreaded silent verbals at the position already..... :oops:

Last edited:
This has to be a get, right?
He must be a late riser in the recruiting rankings, because I was surprised to see that we are just now offering an in-state, legacy, top 200 overall Offensive Tackle. You don't slow play this type of player, so he must be a take.
Gotta be. He's not even rated by 247 yet.

Some of you leap to too many conclusions.

First, rankings are a crap shoot these days. A lot of states didn't play FB in the fall, or played reduced seasons. A bigger deal was that no summer FB camps took place this past summer, so none of the colleges got to evaluate these guys up close. Also, the offseason camps (Rivals, Nike, etc.) only partially took place in 2020, and have been rather spotty in 2021. For the most part, the 2021 camps have been down South, and the numbers have down in terms of camp participants. So many of the tools that college coaches use to evaluate prospects are not present for the 2022 class, and even less of the tools that the recruiting services use are available.

With that caveat, there is a wide diversity of opinion on Brubaker, His Rivals ranking is way, way out of line with the evaluations of the other sites. These things have a way of evening out (not completely) over time, so I wouldn't place too much stock on Rivals' ranking at this time.

Next, PSU seems to like him more as an OG, not as an OT, so disregard the position for which he's registered in the Rivals database.

A get? Only time will tell. A late riser? Not really, more of someone for whom there are mixed opinions, along with the lack of things I mentioned in the 1st paragraph. Slow played? No. Must be a take? That remains to be seen.

There are no brainers, absolute studs who also have good academics and good characters who are absolute takes. Many of the other prospects that PSU offers are in more nuanced situations.

His father having played FB for PSU likely helps, but it's not as though offspring of prior players are always takes. You have to sit back and see how the OL recruiting goes, as well as the overall class (it looks as though PSU will have a big 2022 class).

Nick Singleton also shot up the 247 rankings and he is now a Top 50 overall player and a Top 5 running back recruit. Seeing that Ohio State got 2 Top 10 running back recruits last year (2021), and Penn State struck out in running back recruits last year, Penn State's depth chart should be a good sell to Singleton. And for whatever unknown reason, we have cooled on Tevin White and the southern schools are pressing for him more.

It's funny how quickly the RB depth chart conversation flipped for both OSU and PSU. But you're right, a great opportunity for Singleton to be the next PA RB star at PSU.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Nick Singleton also shot up the 247 rankings and he is now a Top 50 overall player and a Top 5 running back recruit. Seeing that Ohio State got 2 Top 10 running back recruits last year (2021), and Penn State struck out in running back recruits last year, Penn State's depth chart should be a good sell to Singleton. And for whatever unknown reason, we have cooled on Tevin White and the southern schools are pressing for him more.

From what I can tell, it's not clear that Singleton is their priority RB. He's their highest rated, but they seem to be going after a 4* kid from Georgia as their top option. Singleton would be a great get for us, and PSU can point to as much recent RB success as any program in the country. It would make sense.

I think I read that he verballed somewhere already.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Whatever QB is ranked higher than Allard has to be a generational talent. Except for size, he really reminds me of Pat Mahomes.

This is the first I've really looked at his film - and you're right, there's something there with how he can maneuver his arm angles when releasing the ball. Seems to have pretty legit pocket awareness.

Obviously any comparison to the best QB on the planet will seem crazy, but I'm picking up what you're putting down with that one.

Just bumping this thread up so that all the other important "Penn State sports on the BWI / McAndrew Board " topics don't push it off of the first page......... ;);)
Hey it’s not our fault if you don’t like naked women, the F-35 airplane, pizza, Tiger Woods, snow sculptures, deer murder, marijuana, COVID updates, the merits of eating pasta off paper plates and a wide variety of other stimulating topics. Many of us here believe in expanding our knowledge beyond the next” here’s my top 15 schools “ pronouncement from 17 year olds. Not that there’s anything wrong with that of course.

Don't want to break up all the other fun going on here, but.....

Some of that is true. Some isn't.

Hanging onto coaches, for instance. Turnover happens everywhere -- yes, even at Ohio State. And in PSU's case, we have kept certain coaches for a long time. So it's not just a matter of keeping coaches around........it's about getting elite assistants.

"Hanging onto recruits" -- have we really had a problem with de-commits, other than Justin Fields? They really cite Holden Staes? Really?

"Produce NFL talent" -- well, this becomes a chicken-and-the-egg situation. OSU produces more NFL talent than we do, but isn't that also because they recruit at a higher level to begin with? We seem to be doing quite well in terms of generating pros based on how we recruit.

The last key -- "win" -- is obviously the one that matters the most.

Last edited:
Some of that is true. Some isn't.
The last key -- "win" -- is the obviously the one that matters the most.

If we had held and beat OSU in '17 and '18 where would we be now re thoughts on OSU football?

Just win! Everything else takes care of itself.

I hope CJF does not over think this like this board does. LOL.

If we had held and beat OSU in '17 and '18 where would we be now re thoughts on OSU football?

The staff knows this as well as anybody.

But yeah.....it's interesting to think about how the landscape would be different had we held on in 2017 and 2018 against OSU. I imagine OSU would still be pulling in top-5 classes and be an elite program. But I also imagine that would have steered a few additional elite recruits our way.

Got to win the big games with huge national TV audiences. Kids want to not only play in those big games, but win them. If you're a program that can't seem to win the big games, that's going to impact recruiting.

By the way, a lot of articles and buzz recently on Drew Allar. ND is making him a priority, and I saw a few articles in SI recently on him emerging as a hot prospect.

Will be very interesting to see where that recruitment goes. Kid has big time potential.

We could take 2 RBs this year
I'd go a step further and call it likely.
If I recall, Noah Cain made it very clear in his recruitment he planned to be in school for 3 years then head to the NFL. He will need to stay healthy obviously but losing him and our incoming transfer RB and our RB room will be awfully bare next year.
This line caught my eye the other day. Can you even imagine?

How about the seven (yeah, count 'em) running backs that signed on? The first question that comes to mind is, how can you keep them all happy? If they can play, Paterno will find room for them.

You might want to file these runners in the back of your mind: All-American Stephen Pitts from Middletown, N.J., All-American Kijana Carter from Westerville, Ohio, Mike Archie from Sharon, Cliff Dingle from Moncks Corner, S.C., Brian King from Stratton's hometown of West Chester, Ohio, Brian Milne from Waterford, Pa., and J.T. Morris from Lynchburg Va.

How about the seven (yeah, count 'em) running backs that signed on? The first question that comes to mind is, how can you keep them all happy? If they can play, Paterno will find room for them.

You might want to file these runners in the back of your mind: All-American Stephen Pitts from Middletown, N.J., All-American Kijana Carter from Westerville, Ohio, Mike Archie from Sharon, Cliff Dingle from Moncks Corner, S.C., Brian King from Stratton's hometown of West Chester, Ohio, Brian Milne from Waterford, Pa., and J.T. Morris from Lynchburg Va.

That was a much different time obviously. With the portal and today’s general propensity to transfer if everything isn’t going your way, no coach in his right mind would recruit 7 running backs today. I imagine that you would be pushing your luck if you took more than two.

Quite a haul, but Joe had it figured out. Dingle and King both became safties., Milne and Morris both played FB, with Morris, after a very good freshmen campaign but a lackluster sophomore effort decided to transfer to Libery. Pitts, who was at the time ahead of both Carter and Archie on the depth chart blew out his knee. Being the early 90's knee injuries weren't automatic and it took him a few years to return to the lineup. We all know about Carter and Archie.

Brian King unfortunately was shot and killed by an armed robbery suspect while apprehending the suspect as a trooper in the PA State Police Force.

https://247sports.com/Article/Julia...as-AM-football-recruiting-top-five-161525050/

Houston Clear Lake four-star cornerback Julian Humphrey is just a little over a month away from making a decision. The 6-foot-1, 185-pound junior has a commitment date planned of April 1. Now, he has narrowed his group of schools down.

After recently naming a top 12, Humphrey whittled that list down further early Friday afternoon. He now has a final five that is under consideration.

Texas A&M made the cut as Humphrey is close with defensive backs coach TJ Rushing, who coached his older brother at Arizona State. The other schools in his top five are Arizona State, LSU, Penn State and USC.

There are no Crystal Ball predictions at the moment for Humphrey in favor of any school. However, he says he keeps in contact the most with both Texas A&M and Penn State.

Ranked as the No. 149 overall prospect in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, Humphrey has been a first-team all-district selection each of the past two seasons. In a shortened 2020 junior campaign, he finished with 24 tackles, one tackle for loss, a forced fumble, eight pass breakups and an interception he returned for a touchdown.

Reactions: bmw199

If Cain ends up leaving after a good 2021 season, I could see 2 RB's in the 2022 class as well as an incoming Portal RB.

Lovett will be gone as well, and Ford might not be such a happy camper if Cain, Lovett and Lee end up with the bulk of the 2021 carries.

Paterno sure had some dandy recruiting classes in his hay day - when he was traveling and spending time with recruits and their families promising big time football and promising parents that their sons would leave PSU with a degree.....

If Cain ends up leaving after a good 2021 season, I could see 2 RB's in the 2022 class as well as an incoming Portal RB.

Lovett will be gone as well, and Ford might not be such a happy camper if Cain, Lovett and Lee end up with the bulk of the 2021 carries.

Paterno sure had some dandy recruiting classes in his hay day - when he was traveling and spending time with recruits and their families promising big time football and promising parents that their sons would leave PSU with a degree.....

LOL. Cain leaving??? The kid would have to have an absolute monster year AND prove that he actually is durable. A monster year isn't going to happen sharing reps with 4 other RBs. Making it through the season without an injury, I will believe when I see it.

As far as Ford, the inside zone running plays that KC wanted to run didn't exactly feed into Ford's strengths. I believe MY likes to run a lot of outside zone running plays I expect Ford will show a lot better.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuno1 and 81b&w
Quite a haul, but Joe had it figured out. Dingle and King both became safties., Milne and Morris both played FB, with Morris, after a very good freshmen campaign but a lackluster sophomore effort decided to transfer to Libery. Pitts, who was at the time ahead of both Carter and Archie on the depth chart blew out his knee. Being the early 90's knee injuries weren't automatic and it took him a few years to return to the lineup. We all know about Carter and Archie.

Brian King unfortunately was shot and killed by an armed robbery suspect while apprehending the suspect as a trooper in the PA State Police Force.
I have no recollection of Pitts blowing out his knee.

LOL. Cain leaving??? The kid would have to have an absolute monster year AND prove that he actually is durable. A monster year isn't going to happen sharing reps with 4 other RBs. Making it through the season without an injury, I will believe when I see it.

As far as Ford, the inside zone running plays that KC wanted to run didn't exactly feed into Ford's strengths. I believe MY likes to run a lot of outside zone running plays I expect Ford will show a lot better.

Cain has looked very good every time he has gotten the ball.

You can laugh all you want, but if Cain is back to his former form, a little bigger, stronger and quicker, and he has an outstanding YPC, which his ability to break tackles and move the pile forward for extra yards should help, along with 900+ yards this coming season I fully expect him to go to the NFL.

Cain has had his sights set on the NFL, and not every player really cares to stay in college long enough to reach his maximum draft status.

As for Ford, he may do better running outside, but he has not shown the speed or quickness it takes to be a top B10 RB running inside or outside. And to win in the B10 PSU needs a RB that can break tackles and get extra yardage after contact, something Ford has shown very little of. And if Cain would happen to be injured again, I would fully expect Lee and Lovett to get most of the carries. But we'll see what the new offense impacts the RB depth chart.......

Dohn seems to really like the McD boys to PSU with Alabama lurking in the background.

I think there is a high probability that the McDonogh boys may be the silent commits that Jerry Cross has alluded too. But Cross did say during an Instagram Q&A session that the next public verbal commit will not be until the early summer timeframe.

Reactions: bison13
Dohn seems to really like the McD boys to PSU with Alabama lurking in the background.

Yeah and it is really weird how Sutton dropped like a stone in the rankings once he got a couple crystal balls to PSU. Right on que. Same with Givens the OT from Va was a high Five star looking like he was headed to Clemson but now PSU is back in it drops way down the rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Yeah and it is really weird how Sutton drop like a stone in the rankings once he got a couple crystal balls to PSU. Right on que. Same with Givens the OT from Va was a high Five star looking like he was headed to Clemson but now PSU is back in it drops way down the rankings.
And Allar soared since PSU looks like a leader. But don’t let that ruin your conspiracy theory

Indeed...deal should have been closed in both games..but at least one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT