ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

On3 has definitely staked out some very unorthodox rankings. My guess is they want to come out of the gate "different" enough from the others. And they're doing that.

I'm not in a position to say whether their rankings are more or less accurate than others, but they're definitely cutting against conventional wisdom in many of their rankings.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)🤓🤓🤓

Fearbry over Dani I question a bit, but aside from that, I actually think these rankings are pretty solid. I think Penn State's staff would agree with much of this

Fearbry over Dani I question a bit, but aside from that, I actually think these rankings are pretty solid. I think Penn State's staff would agree with much of this

I said is Drew Allar really gonna be that ready 2 go, the EA sports guys said probably even higher- possibly even winning 47 games on all-Saban in a row some day.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I think Allar would be crazy to go to Ohio State. I realize home state school and probably grew up a fan but that QB is sick crowded. I think he has a real chance to replace Clifford when he does leave....which I don't think is until after the 2022 season.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
I feel very satisficed with Ryan's answer to that mailbag question about Allar. I knew he had said he was 107% in already but I was hoping for some recent comments from him now that OSU has no '22 QB. Can't get much more recent than "spoke to him last night" and he's not interested. Very good news!

Last edited:
I think Allar would be crazy to go to Ohio State. I realize home state school and probably grew up a fan but that QB is sick crowded. I think he has a real chance to replace Clifford when he does leave....which I don't think is until after the 2022 season.

There is virtually no chance he goes to OSU. And it's not even clear if OSU will recruit him. Seems like they are going all-in on an elite 2023 QB and could look at the portal or a developmental 3* type for the 2022 class.

This is the kind of issue that generates clicks (not blaming Ryan for the article, btw, because people ARE talking about it), but probably has little substance to it.

There is virtually no chance he goes to OSU. And it's not even clear if OSU will recruit him. Seems like they are going all-in on an elite 2023 QB and could look at the portal or a developmental 3* type for the 2022 class.

This is the kind of issue that generates clicks (not blaming Ryan for the article, btw, because people ARE talking about it), but probably has little substance to it.
This makes a lot of sense. Also, many forget about the portal as a secondary recruiting tool. Some excellent players have already come out of the portal

is it possible that Ewers transfers out if he doesn't start right away? Or did he enroll early being okay with waiting a year or two behind Stroud? I can't even believe it will be easy for them to land a transfer from the portal, knowing that you're being brought on to ride the pine, outside of an injury.

An absolute embarrassment of riches at the QB position though. Have we ever seen that in college football to date?

is it possible that Ewers transfers out if he doesn't start right away? Or did he enroll early being okay with waiting a year or two behind Stroud? I can't even believe it will be easy for them to land a transfer from the portal, knowing that you're being brought on to ride the pine, outside of an injury.

An absolute embarrassment of riches at the QB position though. Have we ever seen that in college football to date?
Given the current state of college football, I'd say there's just as good of a chance as him never playing a down for Ohio State as there is him being a three-year starter and heading to the NFL. It's the wild West.

Given the current state of college football, I'd say there's just as good of a chance as him never playing a down for Ohio State as there is him being a three-year starter and heading to the NFL. It's the wild West.
Tough call on Ewers. I just don't see him overtaking Stroud - who's been really impressive according to their reports - and maybe even McCord who's no slouch himself. Ewers could very well transfer out after this year. Is this another Justin Fields portal thing only this time working against OSU ?

Right away? Very doubtful. He's a smart enough kid to know that the 2021 season -- for him -- is about learning the playbook and getting paid endorsement $$$.

Stroud has potential to be a Heisman-type contender for the next few years with the weapons he has. Will be hard for Ewers to take the starting job unless Stroud flops. Then, it sets up Ewers vs. McCord for 2023. Will he stick around for it? I'd imagine so, but who knows.

To answer your last question........on paper, this is as talented a QB room as I've ever seen in CFB. OSU did have JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, and Joe Burrow at one point (and Barrett, Braxton Miller, and Cardale Jones). Bama had Hurts, Tua, and Mac Jones. During the late 90s and 2000s, Florida and FSU had some loaded QB rooms. USC in the 2000s, too. But never this kind of 5* depth.

To put that into perspective, they have more 5* QBs on their roster right now than we've had in the 21st century total.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilaNit
Right away? Very doubtful. He's a smart enough kid to know that the 2021 season -- for him -- is about learning the playbook and getting paid endorsement $$$.

Stroud has potential to be a Heisman-type contender for the next few years with the weapons he has. Will be hard for Ewers to take the starting job unless Stroud flops. Then, it sets up Ewers vs. McCord for 2023. Will he stick around for it? I'd imagine so, but who knows.

To answer your last question........on paper, this is as talented a QB room as I've ever seen in CFB. OSU did have JT Barrett, Dwayne Haskins, and Joe Burrow at one point (and Barrett, Braxton Miller, and Cardale Jones). Bama had Hurts, Tua, and Mac Jones. During the late 90s and 2000s, Florida and FSU had some loaded QB rooms. USC in the 2000s, too. But never this kind of 5* depth.

To put that into perspective, they have more 5* QBs on their roster right now than we've had in the 21st century total.
Yep, and neither of the PSU 5 stars worked out as advertised.

Who said Stroud for Heisman?

But since we're on the topic. Stroud is on most top-5 lists for early betting lines.

Does anyone think the Ohio State QB Guru fails this year and Stroud and the others are just average. We beat them in 2016 because JT and the play calling that night were just average. Pry dialed up his best game plan I can remember and our DE's and Cabinda actually got to the QB.

Does anyone think the Ohio State QB Guru fails this year and Stroud and the others are just average. We beat them in 2016 because JT and the play calling that night were just average. Pry dialed up his best game plan I can remember and our DE's and Cabinda actually got to the QB.
It's possible, but probably unlikely. Any serviceable QB is going to have a ridiculous amount of weapons at his disposal. It's precisely why Stroud is on virtually everybody's preseason Heisman betting list. Not because he's a superstar, but because his surrounding cast makes it hard for him not to put up video game numbers.

Those Urb offenses are very different than what Ryan Day runs. Our defenses were well suited to deal with Urb's SEC-style run attack.

Either way......as it impacts our 2022 recruiting (per the thread), I don't think it does in any way. Allar isn't going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT