ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023-24 Penn State Wrestling Roster Release

CSauertiegPSU

Staff
Oct 9, 2013
Penn State has finally released its roster for the new season.

Here are my immediate takeaways:

Six guys at 125, led by Robbie Howard and Kurt McHenry.

Ty Kasak listed at 141

Mitch Mesenbrink listed at 157/165.

165 has seven guys listed including Mesenbrink, six could probably start at a ton of programs

Josh Barr listed at 184, which appears to open up 174 for Facundo/whoever next season.

Ty Kasak listed at 141

165 has seven guys listed including Mesenbrink, six could probably start at a ton of programs

Josh Barr listed at 184, which appears to open up 174 for Facundo/whoever next season.
Thx Clay, I didnt think Barr would ever see 174 again,and its not like we need him too LOL.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Looking at 125s, I think depending on how McHenry and Howard are progressing, I wouldn't be shocked if both are struggling that Davis gets the nod. He's about to enter a jam anyways.

If he goes 133, Nagao has 2 years after this. If he goes 125, I think Lilledahl might be a 4 year no RS starter at 125.

Honest question. If we could. How well would our #2 team do in the NCAA? Top 10?

Looking at 125s, I think depending on how McHenry and Howard are progressing, I wouldn't be shocked if both are struggling that Davis gets the nod. He's about to enter a jam anyways.

If he goes 133, Nagao has 2 years after this. If he goes 125, I think Lilledahl might be a 4 year no RS starter at 125.

Lilledahl just wrestled at U20 Worlds this summer, prior to his senior year of HS, at 57kg.

Do we really think he's going to be a 125 for four years?

Lilledahl just wrestled at U20 Worlds this summer, prior to his senior year of HS, at 57kg.

That's what I hear is the plan right now. He obviously would do fine anywhere.

Pretty thin at 197 and 285. Kerk has two years of eligibility iirc. If he uses both, it would give Cole Mirasola a year to grow into 285.

Ty Kasak listed at 141

Kasak at 141 is huge for him getting the most of his eligibility long term, He will likely have to burn a year behind Bartlett/SVN next year but should be able to slot in after that

Kasak at 141 is huge for him getting the most of his eligibility long term, He will likely have to burn a year behind Bartlett/SVN next year but should be able to slot in after that

Yeah, that's pretty good news.

I wonder what BB plans to do with his extra year. I imagine it might depend on how this season goes.

Think there’s a good chance he’s a career 125. He’s just not a particularly big guy and there aren’t many indications he’ll get much bigger

Few thoughts (and answers to questions in this thread):

1. I think Mesenbrink being listed at 165 also shows there's a possibility he wrestles. Wouldn't count on it but he's enrolled it looks like and he certified (though he'd be small)

2. Agree with Kasak at 141 ... but he's still looking at a year behind Bartlett. He 100% should ORS this year as he has the option of 4 NCAAs that way. Even if he doesn't want to be in school for 4 years, no need to burn a RS when an ORS is available.

3. Kerkvliet said on FloWrestling before NWCA last year he plans to stay out his eligibility. I know he previously thought about MMA and he has a NIL deal with WWE also but it seems overall he is happy here and with NIL being a thing, it makes sense. I think that works perfectly to allow Cole Mirasola to redshirt (or maybe Jude Correa?).

4. Not shocked Barr will likely never see 174. He grew ... fast. On the flip side, I wouldn't be shocked if Ryder is a career 174, I don't think he cuts at all and is just walking around at 180. He's pretty built as is and isn't super long. That being said, will be interesting to see how we figure out Mesenbrink/Haines/Duke/Sealey ... best man wins.

5. Connor Mirasola might get thrust into action early at 197 at this rate but I think he could use the redshirt especially to master mat wrestling. Would prefer a transfer there but that obviously is a bridge to cross after the season.

Reactions: Sullivan
My misguided belief that enrollment = no ORS made me ignore the possibility that Kasak can take an ORS this year and potentially a regular RS next year if BB stays around for his extra season.

And, if he can continue to make 141, that really, really helps the lineup, moving forward.

My misguided belief that enrollment = no ORS made me ignore the possibility that Kasak can take an ORS this year and potentially a regular RS next year if BB stays around for his extra season.

And, if he can continue to make 141, that really, really helps the lineup, moving forward.
I think on a recent interview (Baschamania) Beau implied he will take the extra year and plans to wrestle free at NLWC for as long as possible.

Reactions: Ja1339
Honest question. If we could. How well would our #2 team do in the NCAA? Top 10?
This topic has come up a couple times. Assuming this is the starting lineup and everyone is healthy:

125 Howard
133 Nagao
141 Bartlett
149 SVN
157 Levi
165 Mesenbrink
174 C-Star
184 Truax
197 Brooks
HWT Kerk

Then, this is who is left for the #2 team:

125 McHenry
133 Davis
141 Kasak/Evans
149 Evans/Kasak
157 Barraclough (listed 165 - if he can't make 157 any more, the B team is screwed)
165 Facundo
174 Joe Lee
184 Barr
197 Cochran
HWT Fricchione

That lineup is NOT top 10. LOL. However, there are at least three potential AA candidates (Kasak, Facundo, Barr) and several more guys who have a chance to qualify (McHenry, Davis, Evans, Barraclough, if 157), so they would at least be respectable.

People mostly tried to derail the discussion by arguing over whether Facundo or Mesenbrink would be the starter at 165 rather than the merits of the B team. I feel like Mesenbrink will win the spot, but that's just an opinion, and not a particularly informed one. If you're on Team Facundo, fine, just switch those names, and it actually makes the B team stronger by giving them a high AA / potential national champ with Mesenbrink at 157 and allowing Barraclough to be 165, which is his listed weight on the roster.

Note that Cael Nasdeo is not on the roster at all. It looks like he is definitely grey shirting.

Any chance Mesenbrink can stay at 157? If yes, then I can see our 157-65-74 weights play out like this in the next few years:

23-24: Levi, Facundo, C*, Mitchell RS
24-25: Mitchell, Levi, Facundo, Sealy RS
25-26: Mitchell, Sealy, Facundo, Levi RS
26-27: Mitchell, Sealy, Levi

Any chance Mesenbrink can stay at 157? If yes, then I can see our 157-65-74 weights play out like this in the next few years:

23-24: Levi, Facundo, C*, Mitchell RS
24-25: Mitchell, Levi, Facundo, Sealy RS
25-26: Mitchell, Sealy, Facundo, Levi RS
26-27: Mitchell, Sealy, Levi
Duke ....

Duke ....
Yes, I was thinking if Kasak can hold 141 for two years after BB is done (25-26, 26-27) and Duke can hold 149 for one year after Van Ness is done (26-27), then Duke slides in to 157 in 27-28 and Mitchell and Sealy move to 65 and 74.

1. I think Mesenbrink being listed at 165 also shows there's a possibility he wrestles. Wouldn't count on it but he's enrolled it looks like and he certified (though he'd be small)

2. Agree with Kasak at 141 ... but he's still looking at a year behind Bartlett. He 100% should ORS this year as he has the option of 4 NCAAs that way. Even if he doesn't want to be in school for 4 years, no need to burn a RS when an ORS is available.

3. Kerkvliet said on FloWrestling before NWCA last year he plans to stay out his eligibility. I know he previously thought about MMA and he has a NIL deal with WWE also but it seems overall he is happy here and with NIL being a thing, it makes sense. I think that works perfectly to allow Cole Mirasola to redshirt (or maybe Jude Correa?).

4. Not shocked Barr will likely never see 174. He grew ... fast. On the flip side, I wouldn't be shocked if Ryder is a career 174, I don't think he cuts at all and is just walking around at 180. He's pretty built as is and isn't super long. That being said, will be interesting to see how we figure out Mesenbrink/Haines/Duke/Sealey ... best man wins.

5. Connor Mirasola might get thrust into action early at 197 at this rate but I think he could use the redshirt especially to master mat wrestling. Would prefer a transfer there but that obviously is a bridge to cross after the season.
I forgot kasak is ORS eligible. His U17 medal counts for that correct?

Yes, I was thinking if Kasak can hold 141 for two years after BB is done (25-26, 26-27) and Duke can hold 149 for one year after Van Ness is done (26-27), then Duke slides in to 157 in 27-28 and Mitchell and Sealy move to 65 and 74.

Well Cael said in his assessment of the team that: "Tyler is probably looking at 149 and will redshirt this year but could wrestle some matches for us. " So it doesn't sound like Tyler is going to be an answer at 141.

What was also interesting is how he hyped Connor Pierce (149). Not sure how to take this, but he said: "Connor Pierce is a hammer for us as well. He's a tough kid. He came from a small school and didn't have many trading partners. He's in the room a lot, works really hard and he's getting very good. "

Reactions: Ja1339
Brandon Wentzel, 2 time state champion from Montoursville! At 125. This team is loaded for bear going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: nerfstate

Messenbrink small? He just won @163lbs with day before weigh-ins versus 165 with same day 2 hour weigh-ins. If anything he should be coming in bigger due to Worlds, wouldn't he?

Messenbrink small? He just won @163lbs with day before weigh-ins versus 165 with same day 2 hour weigh-ins. If anything he should be coming in bigger due to Worlds, wouldn't he?
He certified between 157 and 165, which no other top-10 165lb wrestler did, per TrackWrestling.

Also, UWW weigh in rules are 2hrs before these days, not day before. So, he'll be giving up some mass and maybe some strength to "true" 165s.

That said, he tore the 74kg field at WTTs and U20 Worlds to shreds. My concern with him will be his ability to get off bottom, as he doesn't have a lot of high end folk experience, but I believe that Casey Cunningham will be helpful there.

Last edited:
Well Cael said in his assessment of the team that: "Tyler is probably looking at 149 and will redshirt this year but could wrestle some matches for us. " So it doesn't sound like Tyler is going to be an answer at 141.

What was also interesting is how he hyped Connor Pierce (149). Not sure how to take this, but he said: "Connor Pierce is a hammer for us as well. He's a tough kid. He came from a small school and didn't have many trading partners. He's in the room a lot, works really hard and he's getting very good. "
Was hoping too see more guys like Pierce at Clarion.

Reactions: flyinorvi
He certified between 157 and 165, which no other top-10 165lb wrestler did, per TrackWrestling.

Also, UWW weigh in rules are 2hrs before these days, not day before. So, he'll be giving up some mass and maybe some strength to "true" 165s.

That said, he tore the 74kg field at WTTs and U20 Worlds to shreds. My concern with him will be his ability to get off bottom, as he doesn't have a lot of high end folk experience, but I believe that Casey Cunningham will be helpful there.
Interesting. Appreciate the info. Yeah, if he's the only one to certify at 157 that kinda says it all. I literally just Googled the UWW rules before posting so I wouldn't look like a dumb#ss and it said day before. Anywho, thanks for setting the record straight.

Reactions: AndEEss
Interesting. Appreciate the info. Yeah, if he's the only one to certify at 157 that kinda says it all. I literally just Googled the UWW rules before posting so I wouldn't look like a dumb#ss and it said day before. Anywho, thanks for setting the record straight.
80276ed6-b9e0-4c1c-af92-2aff594b81df_text.gif

He’s also an AWA kid so I’m sure he’s pretty good on the mat. We haven’t seen him wrestle folk in awhile so it’s definitely a question mark but all the AWA kids are well rounded. Ben and Max have done a really great job with their club and are churning out some hammers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT