ADVERTISEMENT

bdgan

May 29, 2008
It's way too early but I thought I'd look at next year's team

QB Allar, Pribula (B-, they have to prove it)
OL Shelton, Williams, Nelson, Dawkins, Iaone, Achumba, Donkoh, Onoh (C, tough to lose 4 starters)
WR Wallace, Saunders, Clifford, Ivey (Will KLS, Cephas or McClain even return (C-)
TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

DE Sutton, Fisher, Durant, Izzard (B+, Chop & Isaac are big losses)
DT Ellies, Durant, Vanover, Ford (C, will Ford be ready?)
LB King, Carter, Rojas, Deluca (A-)
CB Miller, Winston, Ellis, Wheatley (C-, Ole Miss destroyed our CBs)
S Winston, Reed (C+ assuming Reed returns and Hardy is gone)

The big questions is who else leaves and who we get in the portal. Cephas went from starter to being benched for the Peach Bowl and that can't sit well with him. Same with McClain and who knows what's going on with KLS? We have to replace most of the OL. If Willimas was ready I would have expected to see more of him.

I'm sure I missed some guys so please correct me on that

OL Shelton, Williams, Nelson, Dawkins, Iaone, Achumba, Donkoh, Onoh (C, tough to lose 4 starters)
WR Wallace, Saunders, Clifford, Ivey (Will KLS, Cephas or McClain even return (C-)
TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

The big questions is who else leaves and who we get in the portal. Cephas went from starter to being benched for the Peach Bowl and that can't sit well with him. Same with McClain and who knows what's going on with KLS? We have to replace most of the OL. If Willimas was ready I would have expected to see more of him.

That WR grade should be an "F"

Reactions: jimdavis40

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

If Penn State begins the 2024 season with Wallace, Saunders, and Clifford as the starting WRs, this team will be doomed and destined for 4 losses and a 5th place conference finish.

Reactions: bytir

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

Portal is winding up quick so they’d better get busy if that’s the plan.

They need Fleming and 1 or 2 of the incoming WR’s to make a difference otherwise we are cooked.

Reactions: bytir

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

You sure did miss people....also list people out of the position/s they play.
That is not like you. Where you hitting the grog yesterday. Lol

My hit the portal so you can play list
Ivey never understood recruiting him. His lack of speed is not his fault.

Ellis (S) I believe is out of eligibility...

Izzard is a DT

I would give Durant and Vanover a better grade at DT

DL Vandenberg, Blanding, Lyons not on list

You missed Omari Evans at WR I'd give he and Wallace an I for incomplete too few game reps due to injury or illness.

You missed a few very talented TEs in house.

Cornerback... You missed a freshman with a great name if nothing else.... See if that bumps your 🧠 memory.

Don't know why Cephas was out and don't care D-, McClain D- (can't catch a curl?) You forgot Miega...D for invisibility.

I am sure there are more...

Reactions: RickinDayton
I think everyone needs to take in account a new offense. I am truly hoping that the QB and WR problems were schematic.

Reactions: shifix
Portal is winding up quick so they’d better get busy if that’s the plan.
I read that top portal targets were an OT from Temple, a CB from A&M who likes Terry Smith, and another WR from OSU who is probably a longshot.

You sure did miss people....also list people out of the position/s they play.
That is not like you. Where you hitting the grog yesterday. Lol

My hit the portal so you can play list
Ivey never understood recruiting him. His lack of speed is not his fault.

Ellis (S) I believe is out of eligibility...

Izzard is a DT

I would give Durant and Vanover a better grade at DT

DL Vandenberg, Blanding, Lyons not on list

You missed Omari Evans at WR I'd give he and Wallace an I for incomplete too few game reps due to injury or illness.

You missed a few very talented TEs in house.

Cornerback... You missed a freshman with a great name if nothing else.... See if that bumps your 🧠 memory.

Don't know why Cephas was out and don't care D-, McClain D- (can't catch a curl?) You forgot Miega...D for invisibility.

I am sure there are more...
I intentionally didn't include freshman or Flemming because that's not official. I don't like to count on true freshmen to make a big impact. Therefore I'm only 1/2 hitting the grog.

I think everyone needs to take in account a new offense. I am truly hoping that the QB and WR problems were schematic.
And will DA fit Andy’s offense - or does Andy adapt to the talent we have because Drew is nothing like the KU QBs this year.

I intentionally didn't include freshman or Flemming because that's not official. I don't like to count on true freshmen to make a big impact. Therefore I'm only 1/2 hitting the grog.
The only freshman on my list was one that played significant reps yesterday. But you did mention one freshman...

Is Smith Vilbert completely gone? Kid has been a real mystery since the excellent bowl game he had against Arkansas a couple years ago with injuries and whatever else. He could play one more year, even though he is a rs senior. We have barely gotten him on the field the past 5 years.

QB might be. WR is talent.
Sorry, but I can't bring myself to believe that we have missed on almost every wr prospect, including those that came through the portal. Watch the Kansas Bowl Game. #2 and #11 were freaks......so freaky that if they were that a few years ago in HS, they would be at Bama right now.

Sorry, but I can't bring myself to believe that we have missed on almost every wr prospect, including those that came through the portal. Watch the Kansas Bowl Game. #2 and #11 were freaks......so freaky that if they were that a few years ago in HS, they would be at Bama right now.
KU QBs (all 3 starters this year) were a threat to run which occupies safety’s thoughts

Reactions: BBHorn86

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

Comments.

Giving QB a B- is way too generous. They may project to be B- against Purdue and Rutgers, but the true tests that will come against oh-high-ya, USC, Washington.... may show them to be D+

On the OL, Birchmeier may be a candidate to break out. He was supposed to be the most technique ready of the 2023 OL class and kind of got lost so far for who knows why. And if Wormley comes back that should help as well.

At WR there seems no where to go but up. There doesn't seem to be a #1 WR on the roster. I'm sure if KLS moves on Franklin will declair Wallace the #1, but he's not proven much other than to be injury prone. I'm hoping McClain can start making plays as O'l Miss confirmed that it take a big talented WR to dominate and that PSU didn't have one in 2023. The WR roster is likely the position where the most turnover will occur between now and next August so I have a hard time giving it a grade.

The young TE's such as Rappleyea, Cross (if he stays) and the true freshman Reynolds will likely be a factor in 2024 as well.

Kind of have to believe Martin will play some at RB or in the slot and could be a significant additional playmaker.

Durrant and Izzard play DT, not DE. And if either or both of Ellies and Beamon if they would return, along with Van den berg, would form a solid rotation. The addition of Ford and maturation of Artis along with the posibility that one of the true freshman or Blanding might be ready should form a deep position that should perform at at least at a C level.

Vanover is a DE and may start there next to DDS. And with Fisher, Lyons and Vilbert DE could be almost as good as this year's unit if one of the young players such as Robinson breaks out as a situational pass rusher. Would be nice if a player like Harvey could contribute some snaps as a true freshman.

At LB the starting unit of King (Mike) Rojas/Deluka (Sam) and Carter (Will) should be as good as any B10 unit. The staff will be working to get a backup unit likely of Wylie, Keys and Robinson ready to more readily play during any injuries.

Ellis is a Safety but I believe he is out of eligibility. So that will leave Winston (Safety not CB), Wheatley, Reed (if he returns), Mack, Nelson and Mills (if he returns - I believe unlikely). I'd go with at least a B for the Safety's. One of the true freshman Safety's , Lane and Toure, might play as well if they are good enough.

At CB there is Miller, Tracy, Washington, Payne and the 2 true freshmen. I believe the staff will bring in a transfer CB, but I'm going with a C here. Talented but young group whose size was exposed by O'l Miss. Miller had pretty good coverage at times in the Peach Bowl but the big WR was just too good. Miller will learn from it and the young CB's will get better as the season goes along.

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

How are Winston/Reed only a C+? That is one of the best combos in the country.

Reactions: wilbury
Comments.

Giving QB a B- is way too generous. They may project to be B- against Purdue and Rutgers, but the true tests that will come against oh-high-ya, USC, Washington.... may show them to be D+

On the OL, Birchmeier may be a candidate to break out. He was supposed to be the most technique ready of the 2023 OL class and kind of got lost so far for who knows why. And if Wormley comes back that should help as well.

At WR there seems no where to go but up. There doesn't seem to be a #1 WR on the roster. I'm sure if KLS moves on Franklin will declair Wallace the #1, but he's not proven much other than to be injury prone. I'm hoping McClain can start making plays as O'l Miss confirmed that it take a big talented WR to dominate and that PSU didn't have one in 2023. The WR roster is likely the position where the most turnover will occur between now and next August so I have a hard time giving it a grade.

The young TE's such as Rappleyea, Cross (if he stays) and the true freshman Reynolds will likely be a factor in 2024 as well.

Kind of have to believe Martin will play some at RB or in the slot and could be a significant additional playmaker.

Durrant and Izzard play DT, not DE. And if either or both of Ellies and Beamon if they would return, along with Van den berg, would form a solid rotation. The addition of Ford and maturation of Artis along with the posibility that one of the true freshman or Blanding might be ready should form a deep position that should perform at at least at a C level.

Vanover is a DE and may start there next to DDS. And with Fisher, Lyons and Vilbert DE could be almost as good as this year's unit if one of the young players such as Robinson breaks out as a situational pass rusher. Would be nice if a player like Harvey could contribute some snaps as a true freshman.

At LB the starting unit of King (Mike) Rojas/Deluka (Sam) and Carter (Will) should be as good as any B10 unit. The staff will be working to get a backup unit likely of Wylie, Keys and Robinson ready to more readily play during any injuries.

Ellis is a Safety but I believe he is out of eligibility. So that will leave Winston (Safety not CB), Wheatley, Reed (if he returns), Mack, Nelson and Mills (if he returns - I believe unlikely). I'd go with at least a B for the Safety's. One of the true freshman Safety's , Lane and Toure, might play as well if they are good enough.

At CB there is Miller, Tracy, Washington, Payne and the 2 true freshmen. I believe the staff will bring in a transfer CB, but I'm going with a C here. Talented but young group whose size was exposed by O'l Miss. Miller had pretty good coverage at times in the Peach Bowl but the big WR was just too good. Miller will learn from it and the young CB's will get better as the season goes along.
Nice to see someone get the positions players play correct. Zion Tracy....great name. What did happen to Birchmeyer?

Offensive line issues could just stall the whole offense especially with a QB we have our doubts about and a terrible WR room.

Can we get portal help on the O-Line? Hopefully we land Fleming.

On defense, well I think Ole Miss is still completing passes at MB stadium so CB scares the living daylights out of me. DT and DE will he okay but we were not dominant in '23 with Chop and Isaac vs good teams so the '24 version will be so so. LBs should be good. Have to get portal help at CB.

Will be a stretch to sneak into the playoff. Gotta win at the Coliseum or vs UDub at home (probably don't win both but could lose both), not stumble anywhere else and then of course the obligatory OSU loss.

Reactions: psu00
My concern about next year is that even though PSU goes through offensive coordinators like peanuts at a ball game the offense never seems to change. Players change, coaches change, but the offense really doesn't seem too. McSorely and Allar are totally different QBs but things hardly change. For years now I've been hoping for a slightly more imaginative running game with every new OC but nothing seems to change. Is Franklin the reason? Maybe I'm not bright enough to see it (likely) but I can still dream.

Reactions: psu00 and shifix
I saw in another post somewhere that Carter might move to DE? Any validity to that rumor.

AGAIN, for the people that don't read very well.....I am asking if a Rumor was true, not proposing the move happens.

I saw in another post somewhere that Carter might move to DE? Any validity to that rumor.

AGAIN, for the people that don't read very well.....I am asking if a Rumor was true, not proposing the move happens.

I just read this before reading your post. Was this what you read or something elsewhere?

One thing nobody is talking about it the competition. UM, tOSU, Washington and Oregon all lose a TON of talent. tOSU may well meltdown. There are a lot of problems in Columbus right now. Our most difficult games are @ WVU, @USC, @Wisconsin, vs tOSU, and vs Washington.

I just read this before reading your post. Was this what you read or something elsewhere?
That may have been where the poster got it from, but what I saw was a normal post. I think on 247.

That article makes sense though.

Reactions: lazydave841
Offensive line issues could just stall the whole offense especially with a QB we have our doubts about and a terrible WR room.

Can we get portal help on the O-Line? Hopefully we land Fleming.

On defense, well I think Ole Miss is still completing passes at MB stadium so CB scares the living daylights out of me. DT and DE will he okay but we were not dominant in '23 with Chop and Isaac vs good teams so the '24 version will be so so. LBs should be good. Have to get portal help at CB.

Will be a stretch to sneak into the playoff. Gotta win at the Coliseum or vs UDub at home (probably don't win both but could lose both), not stumble anywhere else and then of course the obligatory OSU loss.

I tend to agree. The defense will be a step down from this year and as we saw against Ole Miss it may be a relatively significant step down.

However, the bigger problem IMO is the offense. How many years have we talked about O line play? Now we’re pretty much rebuilding there with a QB that is not too mobile, and a poor WR group (generally speaking) to throw to. It’s not just the individual position issues, but how those issues grow when you look at the offense as a whole.

It will be interesting to see what tweaks the new OC makes (or is allowed to make?). The WVU game to open on the road may be more difficult than some think. The good news is that USC and Washington will be in some rebuilding mode too.

One thing nobody is talking about it the competition. UM, tOSU, Washington and Oregon all lose a TON of talent. tOSU may well meltdown. There are a lot of problems in Columbus right now. Our most difficult games are @ WVU, @USC, @Wisconsin, vs tOSU, and vs Washington.
I expect a few of those teams will decline, especially Washington who loses Penix. But teams like OSU and Oregon will reload and teams like Michigan & USC won't be far behind.

Recruiting rankings last 3 years:
OSU 6, 4, 4
Oregon 3, 9, 12
PSU 12, 13, 7
UM 14, 20, 9
USC 17, 5, 70 (but they had the #1 portal class)

Reactions: psu00
I expect a few of those teams will decline, especially Washington who loses Penix. But teams like OSU and Oregon will reload and teams like Michigan & USC won't be far behind.

Recruiting rankings last 3 years:
OSU 6, 4, 4
Oregon 3, 9, 12
PSU 12, 13, 7
UM 14, 20, 9
USC 17, 5, 70 (but they had the #1 portal class)
Agreed. Of course, that is just one measure. UM and WU have two of the most experienced teams in all of college football. UW has 12 sixth year seniors. Penix, for example, is in his sixth year.

I was really optimistic at the start of the 2023 season. I thought we had a chance to make the playoffs. I was wrong. Looking ahead to 2024 I am not optimistic and think we are looking at a 4 to 5 loss season. The OL will be much worse, the defensive backs won't be as good, the wide receivers are still atrocious, and Allar is a disappointment. Hope I'm wrong.

One
Damn. That’s twice you and I agree on something Lando.
One caveat to this - WRs would be serviceable with different style of QB. This is really a recruiting issue on CJF. We went out and got a “Pro-Style” drop back phenom without the same focus on type of WR (tall lanky 50/50 winners). Our WR are “athletes” that get open through QB deception and the threat of the run.

I was really optimistic at the start of the 2023 season. I thought we had a chance to make the playoffs. I was wrong. Looking ahead to 2024 I am not optimistic and think we are looking at a 4 to 5 loss season. The OL will be much worse, the defensive backs won't be as good, the wide receivers are still atrocious, and Allar is a disappointment. Hope I'm wrong.
Those are valid concerns. I read that PSU's top transfer portal targets are :
  1. Victor Stoffel OL from Temple
  2. Tony Grimes CB from A&M
  3. Noah Rogers WR from OSU
Getting 2 of those 3 might help. Of course we also hope that the new offensive coordinator can help Allar.

Little Game James strength is selling the program. Does he really sell it as well as described. We have glaring holes in our recruiting.... WR for example. How does a program like PSU have no one at WR? Even the portal guys have washed out. Maybe LGJ is not as good a car salesman as we think. He is a 10- 15 level recruiter. Just being honest....

Reactions: blair10 and 91Joe95
That sums it up well. I hope you are wrong too. I don't think we lose as many as 4 but we could. 3 losses seems probable which means we are left out of the playoff. If that happens then what? Wait until 2025. It will be Grunk that leads us to the promised land not Allar like we thought? Or Allar will be good in 2025 or the OC will be better in 2025 or we actually have som receivers who can get open in 2025 or we actually have an offensive line that can block in 2025?

TE Warren, Dinkins (A-)
RB Singleton, Allen (A-)

My Grades for some of the positions:

OL: C+ maybe a B.........Losses wont be as bad as you think. Olu huge loss obviously. Hunter and Wormley not big losses. Vega and Nelson are both better on the intrerior. Wallace was never great at RT and at times a liability. LOVED what I saw from Donkoh and he will be better than Wallace assuming he is front runner for RT. Shelton is HUGE concern. But Vega, Nelson, Donkoh all solid.

WR: Incomplete due to lack od scheme. Needs huge improvement but truly believe its a combination of scheme issue and Allar not looking to throw downfield. Fleming should help.

DT: Overall B....Ellies coming back is great and Izzard likely comes back. Durant broke out last season and should get even better. Izzard and Durant B+.....Depth B

LBs: A...King really became solid MLB. We know what Carter can do. Rojas has ability to be as good or better than Jacobs. Depth is great....Keys, TRob, Deluca.

S: A...How you give them a C is mind blogging?? KJ Winston can be as good or better than Brisker. King Mack was one of best freshman in camp and a baller. Reed had really good year.

CBs: ?????? Obviously from what we saw vs Ole Miss wasn't good but I'll give them a full camp with full starters on D and their new DC before judging.

DEs: B or B+....I expect Lyons to break out. I remember hearing by end of camp Lyons was best freshman in camp, with King Mack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT