ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Next year (?)

I'm not ready to believe the defense will be as good next season as it was this season.

We just saw the top 2 PSU DE's be declared the best 2 DE's in the B10, and they both will be gone. DDS was a great 3rd DE with CJF referring to him as a 3rd starter and he's likely to be as good next season as the 2 2023 starters were. But the replacements to the top 3 won't be as good. Vanover, Fisher and Lyons shoud be back to form a nice unit but it would take a real breakout from a young player to get near the DE unit talent we were privileged to watch this season.

It would be great if Ellies returned (covid year?) but if the rest of the DT's return (likely minus Beamon) the DT's could be just as good as this season with Ford back from injury and Artis and possibly Blanding breaking into the rotation. And hopefully Townley is ready to really contribute.

The LB's is the only position that I see possible improvement. Rojas replacing Jacobs might actually be an upgrade, and Jacobs is likely an NFL player. And the other 2022 young LB's Robinson and Keys could surprise as well.

The secondary won't likely have a chance to be as good as the 2023 unit. Replacing the top 3 corners (King, Dixon and Hardy) can rationally be expected to result in a drop off of some level, possibly a considerable drop off. Miller is the only returning corner with significant experience, with Tracy and Washington showing talent as true freshmen but will be inexperienced on the big stage. I'm hoping Mack is moved to the slot which if it workded out would be a big plus for the outside corner depth. Without significant injuries it seems that even if Ellis moves on the Safety position will still be excellent.
Diaz got away with bringing heavy pressure because our DBs were good enough to play man coverage. Will we be able to do that again next year?

Diaz got away with bringing heavy pressure because our DBs were good enough to play man coverage. Will we be able to do that again next year?
Yep, who knows. Tracy and Washington, as well as Miller, look like talented CB's, but they are young. Smith and Franklin hit the jackpot when they got Dixon in the portal. Last years incoming CB transfer Collins is still very young but the staff must have seen something in him to accept him. Dixon took a year to work into the rotation so maybe Collins will get stronger in the S&C program and be ready in 2024. But a ready to play CB is likely a prioritiy in the Portal. The Safety's sure look to be a strength for 2024 and they seem to cover pretty well when called upon.

Reactions: lazydave841
I'm not ready to believe the defense will be as good next season as it was this season.

We just saw the top 2 PSU DE's be declared the best 2 DE's in the B10, and they both will be gone. DDS was a great 3rd DE with CJF referring to him as a 3rd starter and he's likely to be as good next season as the 2 2023 starters were. But the replacements to the top 3 won't be as good. Vanover, Fisher and Lyons shoud be back to form a nice unit but it would take a real breakout from a young player to get near the DE unit talent we were privileged to watch this season.

It would be great if Ellies returned (covid year?) but if the rest of the DT's return (likely minus Beamon) the DT's could be just as good as this season with Ford back from injury and Artis and possibly Blanding breaking into the rotation. And hopefully Townley is ready to really contribute.

The LB's is the only position that I see possible improvement. Rojas replacing Jacobs might actually be an upgrade, and Jacobs is likely an NFL player. And the other 2022 young LB's Robinson and Keys could surprise as well.

The secondary won't likely have a chance to be as good as the 2023 unit. Replacing the top 3 corners (King, Dixon and Hardy) can rationally be expected to result in a drop off of some level, possibly a considerable drop off. Miller is the only returning corner with significant experience, with Tracy and Washington showing talent as true freshmen but will be inexperienced on the big stage. I'm hoping Mack is moved to the slot which if it workded out would be a big plus for the outside corner depth. Without significant injuries it seems that even if Ellis moves on the Safety position will still be excellent.
You forgot about Smith Vilbert @ DE who didn't play this year. Does he return? Don't know but him playing would be helpful.

Reactions: GregInPitt
DE: DDS
DT: Izzard
DT: Beamon
DE: Vanover
LB: Carter
LB: King
LB: Barnham
SCB: Hardy
CB: Hardy
CB: Miller
S: Reed
S: Winston

Does Hardy have eligibility next year (COVID year?) and if so has he expressed that he will be back? Would be huge for defense and PR if so.

I said AS OF NOW. WHAT PART OF AS OF NOW, WHICH WAS WEEKS AGO, DON'T U UNDERSTAND MORON.
Haha settle down Nancy boy. The writing was all over the wall. Can't help you couldn't see it. I didn't make my original post because I was guessing.

• Haha
Reactions: Psubiomed
Ironically KeAndre Lambert Smith is returning 😂😂😂 as if that would matter
You would have to think that JF would have a very big talk with KLS before he comes back.

We never really heard much more of what the cause and who were the causes of the WR Room turmoil. I thought we would hear a ton of movement already with that position.

King is a 4th round pick at best. He should return but he won't. After all we encourage all our guys to leave unless they are locker room cancers who dog it on pass patterns and commit stupid unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Every mock I’ve seen has him in first or second round so far. If he doesn’t shit the bed during combine he will be in that range

Isaac drove his draft desirability up a lot this year. I think he’ll go off the board in the 1st 3 rounds (JMO).He’s coming off of a bad injury about 2 years ago…. Don’t think he will risk another by staying in college, given his high level of performance this year.
Jacobs also played very well, but was not given much love by the “All BIG” teams. I personally don’t think he‘ll be drafted until after round 3 ( depending on combine). That may persuade him to stick around another year…..or not. We’ll see
Isaac will do what he needs to do to bring financial security to his mother and family. His mother has had a very, very hard life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT