ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Next year (?)

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
DTs returning: Izzard, Durant, VanDenberg, Ford (from injury), Artis, Blanding

DEs returning: DD Sutton, Vanover, Fisher. Lyons, Smith Vilbert (?)

LBers: Kobe King (?), Carter, Rojas, Robinson, Wylie, DeLuca (?)

Safties: Winston, Nelson, I'm missing one other whose name escapes me that played.

CBs: Miller, Washington, Tracy

I didn't look @ the roster, going from memory.
Any additions or subtraction?

Needs: 1 Experieced DT (1 Tech), 1 experienced DE, 1 experienced CB.

Reactions: NedFromYork
DTs returning: Izzard, Durant, VanDenberg, Ford (from injury), Artis, Blanding

DEs returning: DD Sutton, Vanover, Fisher. Lyons, Smith Vilbert (?)

LBers: Kobe King (?), Carter, Rojas, Robinson, Wylie, DeLuca (?)

Safties: Winston, Nelson, I'm missing one other whose name escapes me that played.

CBs: Miller, Washington, Tracy

I didn't look @ the roster, going from memory.
Any additions or subtraction?

Needs: 1 Experieced DT (1 Tech), 1 experienced DE, 1 experienced CB.
Jaylen Reed at safety

Wheatley also returns at safety.

Collins will likely fit in at CB.

Mack might be the Nickel a la Hardy.

Kobe and De Luca are back (you had ?s on them).

Vilbert I think we find out sooner than later. He's graduated already so he either stays and competes or portals to play.

Wheatley also returns at safety.

Collins will likely fit in at CB.

Mack might be the Nickel a la Hardy.

Kobe and De Luca are back (you had ?s on them).

Vilbert I think we find out sooner than later. He's graduated already so he either stays and competes or portals to play.
Wheatley and Mack. Yes, I left those two off. Thanks for confirmation on Kobe & Deluca.
Hopefully Smith Vilbert stays with PSU.

Are we sure Jacobs and Isaac are gone?
Isaac drove his draft desirability up a lot this year. I think he’ll go off the board in the 1st 3 rounds (JMO).He’s coming off of a bad injury about 2 years ago…. Don’t think he will risk another by staying in college, given his high level of performance this year.
Jacobs also played very well, but was not given much love by the “All BIG” teams. I personally don’t think he‘ll be drafted until after round 3 ( depending on combine). That may persuade him to stick around another year…..or not. We’ll see

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNit2.0
Isaac drove his draft desirability up a lot this year. I think he’ll go off the board in the 1st 3 rounds (JMO).He’s coming off of a bad injury about 2 years ago…. Don’t think he will risk another by staying in college, given his high level of performance this year.
Jacobs also played very well, but was not given much love by the “All BIG” teams. I personally don’t think he‘ll be drafted until after round 3 ( depending on combine). That may persuade him to stick around another year…..or not. We’ll see
Agreed. Thought both played very well this year. Both looked extremely fast.

Reactions: jimarnp
Carter to where?
Carter likely stays at Will, and Rojas takes over for Jacobs. There is also the posibility the Jacobs returns, but the chances seem slim...

Great that King seemed to really come on strong as this season went along. He'll be a leader in 2024, and Robinson can get snaps as his backup and hopefully show why he was one of the top LB recruits in the country before he missed his senior H.S. season with an injury.

Reactions: lazydave841
So the starters should be very solid once again: Carter, King & Rojas. I guess backups will be Robinson, Wylie & Deluca.
Wylie seemed to show some nice production in limited snaps at season's end, and the wild card / unknown at LB seems to be Keys. The staff wanted him bad, never gave up recuiting him had when he was committed to NC?, and it will be interesting to see how he developed this past season and during 2024 spring practices.

Was also great that Deluca had the highest NFL performance rating of any PSU LB.

LB position in great shape for 2024. Maybe the only positon on the team (TE, QB & Safety as well?) where the staff won't seriously look for help in the portal.

Last edited:
To my untrained eye, Jacobs regressed, but maybe an expert can explain it was because of his LB placement and it's various disciplines and duties; regardless, I do not think he played like a high draft pick. Would he even be drafted or would he wind up as an UFA?

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz
To my untrained eye, Jacobs regressed, but maybe an expert can explain it was because of his LB placement and it's various disciplines and duties

Jacobs probably had his best year yet as far as how he played. I can't think of any egregious misses that I can for the other LBs.

This defense wasn't on the field for a lot of snaps and with the blitz packages even the sack totals aren't what you typically see. I think that plays a big part of it. Jacobs was a tackling machine early on. Once our DL got settled and Kobe King got comfortable, the tackles got split away.

Maybe on Special Teams. He remains liability for the defense, especially against the run.
He’s been a liability for a long time but the coaches keep throwing him out there on D. Doesn’t make sense, but if it was gonna change it would have by now.

I expect Robinson takes a leap forward during bowl practice, spring and next fall camp to displace Elsdon as backup MLB.
That would be fantastic, but it took them forever to have Kobe replace him as starter when it was apparent to everyone Kobe was superior, so I’m skeptical.

Are we sure Jacobs and Isaac are gone?
Isaac really came on late in the year and now projects as a late 3rd round pick. He could return if he wants to move up but I doubt he will unless he can get a bunch of NIL money.

Jacobs is probably a 5th round pick. His stats actually declined slightly in 2023 but he's started 3 years and might be ready to move on.

He’s been a liability for a long time but the coaches keep throwing him out there on D. Doesn’t make sense, but if it was gonna change it would have by now.
Not necessarily. Franklin only promises a player 3 seasons on scholarship to get a degree and he will need scholarships for the 25 incoming freshmen as well as portal additons so there may not be a scholarship for Elsdon for 2024. With King and Robinson, as well as Wylie, practicing at Mike the focus will likely be on developing the young, talented LB's on the roster and not on making room for a player already having 4 years in the program to develop (2020 class) who's play has peaked at less than starting LB expectations. At least 1 of the incoming 2024 freshmen LB's Speca and Jackson will also likely begin their PSU careers at Mike as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
What was the name of that kid they said was fastest on the team, the freshman corner?

I expect Robinson takes a leap forward during bowl practice, spring and next fall camp to displace Elsdon as backup MLB.
I have the same expectation. But Wylie seemed to be practicing at Mike and made some plays in limited snaps this season so he could also be in the mix to back up King at Mike. I also wonder if Robinson might move over to Will if there is a log jam at Mike. Some projected Robinson to DE during his recruitment as well but those traits might do well on the outside at Will as well. Should be an interesting off season and Spring practice for sorting out all the LB talent now on the roster.

Right now, I am not worried about the players, I am worried about the DC because right now, that is the most pressing issue. If Diaz leaves, we could be as holey as a wedge of swiss cheese depending on the next hire.

Defense will be loaded next year, again… expect a few early entry freshmen to impact on the DL. Same in the secondary. Maybe a couple of portal additions, too. But Manny or Dex will have fun.

Defense will be loaded next year, again… expect a few early entry freshmen to impact on the DL. Same in the secondary. Maybe a couple of portal additions, too. But Manny or Dex will have fun.
I'm not ready to believe the defense will be as good next season as it was this season.

We just saw the top 2 PSU DE's be declared the best 2 DE's in the B10, and they both will be gone. DDS was a great 3rd DE with CJF referring to him as a 3rd starter and he's likely to be as good next season as the 2 2023 starters were. But the replacements to the top 3 won't be as good. Vanover, Fisher and Lyons shoud be back to form a nice unit but it would take a real breakout from a young player to get near the DE unit talent we were privileged to watch this season.

It would be great if Ellies returned (covid year?) but if the rest of the DT's return (likely minus Beamon) the DT's could be just as good as this season with Ford back from injury and Artis and possibly Blanding breaking into the rotation. And hopefully Townley is ready to really contribute.

The LB's is the only position that I see possible improvement. Rojas replacing Jacobs might actually be an upgrade, and Jacobs is likely an NFL player. And the other 2022 young LB's Robinson and Keys could surprise as well.

The secondary won't likely have a chance to be as good as the 2023 unit. Replacing the top 3 corners (King, Dixon and Hardy) can rationally be expected to result in a drop off of some level, possibly a considerable drop off. Miller is the only returning corner with significant experience, with Tracy and Washington showing talent as true freshmen but will be inexperienced on the big stage. I'm hoping Mack is moved to the slot which if it workded out would be a big plus for the outside corner depth. Without significant injuries it seems that even if Ellis moves on the Safety position will still be excellent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT