ADVERTISEMENT

6th year

source?

as much as i'd like to see Anthony return, if i were him, i would go get paid. whether that be from MMA or at an RTC. it costs a lot of money to go to PSU out of state and another year in college is another year not making money. i'd go out on top with my head held high.

as for shak, i'd worry about injuries again as well as a particular freshman coming for his spot.

source?

as much as i'd like to see Anthony return, if i were him, i would go get paid. whether that be from MMA or at an RTC. it costs a lot of money to go to PSU out of state and another year in college is another year not making money. i'd go out on top with my head held high.

as for shak, i'd worry about injuries again as well as a particular freshman coming for his spot.

I saw Anthony in his Instagram Post talking about his National Championship indicated he had financial difficulties during college, even though Cael can definitely bump his money up, we have a lot of mouths to feed on the team in terms of splitting the 9.9.

Selfishly, I obviously want to see Anthony wrestle his 6th year but objectively, I'd tell Anthony to go pursue his dream and get his money. Maybe he really enjoys college and wants to prove this year wasn't "lightning in a bottle" and be the face of the team as we contend for 2020? That's possible but if not that, it definitely makes sense he moves on.

Would love to see him stay, and at first glance he may look like our guy with the best chance at another NC, but if Kerk and Schultz go immediately then add in Cassioppi (sp?) 285 will be much tougher next year. Go out on top young man, we’ll be FINE.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I’m not seeing it with Cassioppi... he’s not Gable or Kirk or even Jordan Wood, he can be exciting but some of the well conditioned guys will work him if he doesn’t improve his body type and stamina.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Question about Cassar for those who follow recruiting closer than I do. I've read multiple times on this board that he failed to even qualify for the NJ state tournament until his senior year when he won it. Was he a highly rated recruit sought after by many top programs or did he more or less catch the attention of PSU as a guy with high potential with a lot to develop?

Question about Cassar for those who follow recruiting closer than I do. I've read multiple times on this board that he failed to even qualify for the NJ state tournament until his senior year when he won it. Was he a highly rated recruit sought after by many top programs or did he more or less catch the attention of PSU as a guy with high potential with a lot to develop?

(b)

So the third string quarterback and the backup punter at Mississippi state tech can be on 85 scholarship but a defending national champ can be in wrestling.

The system is broke.

20 scholarships are needed at a minimum in wrestling.
20, and we'll see an even faster exodus. Back to 11 is a nice start, but this is bigger than wrestling.

I love football, but if football went to 65-70 scholarships across the board, you would see more parity in football and the ability to increase scholarships for underfunded men's sports without impacting Title IX at all. Title IX gets the blame where it is football that totally skews the scholarship allocations.

I love football, but if football went to 65-70 scholarships across the board, you would see more parity in football and the ability to increase scholarships for underfunded men's sports without impacting Title IX at all. Title IX gets the blame where it is football that totally skews the scholarship allocations.
If the NFL can survive with 53 guys on a roster, college teams would be fine with 65-70 scholarships

If you went to 65 to 70 scholarships for football, it would help offset the inevitable move to athletes being paid. Most schools have no intention of increasing funding for most non-revenue sports. Obviously there are a few exceptions for every sport.

I would think the future income of a 2x national champion would be well worth the 1-year investment.
What future income? This is not the NFL where you come back to develop another year to then play in a league with a minimum salary of $495K.

Not sure how being a 2 time NCAA champion would increase Cassar's earning potential compared to his situation now, niche sport whether we like it or not. Now if coming back helps Cassar make an Olympic team or win a medal, that could help with his income.

Reactions: Dogwelder
What future income? This is not the NFL where you come back to develop another year to then play in a league with a minimum salary of $495K.

Not sure how being a 2 time NCAA champion would increase Cassar's earning potential compared to his situation now, niche sport whether we like it or not. Now if coming back helps Cassar make an Olympic team or win a medal, that could help with his income.

You live exactly one life. Winning an NCAA title might just be the greatest thrill of this lifetime. I never won squat, but would give 500,000.00 today to win one. Plus are we sure Anthony is just some cage fighter the rest of his life, or perhaps would a post grad degree prove useful?

Pretty sure he has a tattoo on the inside of his lip. Sounds crazy but I’ve seen a few of them. Any guesses what it says?

You live exactly one life. Winning an NCAA title might just be the greatest thrill of this lifetime. I never won squat, but would give 500,000.00 today to win one. Plus are we sure Anthony is just some cage fighter the rest of his life, or perhaps would a post grad degree prove useful?

i'm not sure of the margin increase in earning potential from wrestling that a 2x NCAA champ has over 1x NCAA champ. if he wants to go to the Olympics, i would think it behooves him to focus on freestyle and get paid for it from some RTC. also, simply coming back next year does not guarantee him another NCAA championship. with the influx of talent at heavyweight, i'd put those odds in the 20-30% range.

that said, his major is psychology and i believe if you want to make headway in that profession a graduate degree is strongly encouraged.

I agree with you, however Cassar has won a NCAA title, probably gives him a boost on the camp/clinic circuit. I was just making a point that winning another probably does not do much for his future earnings potential.

Cassar needs to decide what he wants to do over the next five years or so. Go for the Olympics, MMA? They are both things he has expressed interest in and does a sixth year at PSU help achieve whatever goal he has? Then there is the elephant in the room, a 6th year costs him money in terms of the expense (not a full scholarship) and opportunity cost, which is most likely a factor since he has indicated financial hardship in the past.

Regardless, Anthony Cassar has one heck of an accomplishment and Hollywood story and a bright future.

Reactions: Fatmarc
This all true.....but if a post graduate degree is in his future plans the time to do it would be now as even a 50% scholarship would really help. It is also much harder to do once marriage,kids,etc. come into your life. There is also the fact that 285 will be a strong weight class and it will be difficult to win again, so Anthony seems like the type where the difficulty factor would make him more likely to return. He won't be out of challenges should he return. I wish him the very best no matter his choice, but as a fan seeing Raptor vs Gable 3 more times would be must see tv.

Shak seems like a simple decision if he can get healthy. He can win a title and cement his legacy. We all know he is better than his results to date.

I think if a sports program, namely football, turns a profit, those scholarships should be exempt from Title IX calculations for a school. I get that football skews the numbers, but it also funds pretty much every other program at a university. Take that out of the equation and then you’d give men and women equal access across all the other sports. I also know this has no chance of happening. Now if CFB breaks away from the NCAA which some people predict will happen someday, schools will need more male scholarships to balance out the numbers which could be good for wrestling. Though I imagine schools would just drop a ton of female sports programs.

I think if a sports program, namely football, turns a profit, those scholarships should be exempt from Title IX calculations for a school. I get that football skews the numbers, but it also funds pretty much every other program at a university. Take that out of the equation and then you’d give men and women equal access across all the other sports. I also know this has no chance of happening. Now if CFB breaks away from the NCAA which some people predict will happen someday, schools will need more male scholarships to balance out the numbers which could be good for wrestling. Though I imagine schools would just drop a ton of female sports programs.

i don't understand how exempting a sport if it turns a profit would work int he real world. what happens if you make a profit one year but not the next? do you have to cancel another male sport's season if you don't make a profit on football? or add multiple women's sports to get back to even?

i at least agree with you that it has no chance of happening.

You could do an average of so many years. I know it’s not realistic. I just hate when people say football is the problem in Title IX. Football distorts the scholarship numbers, but a lot of female scholarships would cease to exist without football. Take away the football money and a lot of young women would never get a scholarship. Sadly, wrestling has paid the biggest price in balancing the numbers. I hope CFB does break away from the NCAA. Can you imagine the chaos Title IX will cause then? No one cared when wrestling was slowly killed. Imagine when 85 female scholarships need cut because we know schools won’t just add 85 more to the men’s side.

So the third string quarterback and the backup punter at Mississippi state tech can be on 85 scholarship but a defending national champ can be in wrestling.

The system is broke.

20 scholarships are needed at a minimum in wrestling.
Not without a plan to phase it in over time, tied to a plan for adding more teams.

Reminder, not all teams have 9.9 heads of funding Of those that do, some are only if all 9.9 are in state.

Also need to offset Title IX, which means the NCAA needs to get serious about adding women's programs instead of contracting men's.

Not without a plan to phase it in over time, tied to a plan for adding more teams.

Reminder, not all teams have 9.9 heads of funding Of those that do, some are only if all 9.9 are in state.

Also need to offset Title IX, which means the NCAA needs to get serious about adding women's programs instead of contracting men's.

I believe there are three sports that are gender specific at this point. Football, wrestling and field hockey. I have no problem if there is an equal distribution across all sports with wrestling and field hockey being the comp. I do have a problem with football being used as part of the overall comparison. It is not just the prime source of revenue, it is also unique in how it holds the fabric of the school together. It is probably the biggest influence in keeping alumni involved.

The liberal approach - diminish success to achieve broader equality.

Not that I really worry about it but the difference between the have and haven't would be huge if 15-20 wrestling scholarships were available

Many schools can't put 9.9 ships together now so 15-20 would never happen for them

I think if a sports program, namely football, turns a profit, those scholarships should be exempt from Title IX calculations for a school.
There is absolutely zero chance of colleges gaming the system to make favored programs look more profitable than they really are.

For example, marking the helicopter as a shared asset across all programs, but giving the pilot's phone number only to the football coach.

That would never happen. Not at colleges.

There is absolutely zero chance of colleges gaming the system to make favored programs look more profitable than they really are.

For example, marking the helicopter as a shared asset across all programs, but giving the pilot's phone number only to the football coach.

That would never happen. Not at colleges.
Bingo! There'd be all kinds of accounting manipulations to game profits.

Reactions: breno14
I know profitability isn’t the best way to do it. I think football should be exempt from Title IX calculations. I just find it ironic that the sport that actually turns a profit is the sport that messes up the scholarship calculations.

Reactions: Ski
I know profitability isn’t the best way to do it. I think football should be exempt from Title IX calculations. I just find it ironic that the sport that actually turns a profit is the sport that messes up the scholarship calculations.

i think that was kind of the point though. women's programs don't (generally) make money, so there was little incentive to have them. Title IX came around and told colleges that if they wanted to have football and make money, they also had to create an equal number of women's scholarships. i don't consider that "messing up" the calculations. it seems like it's working exactly as intended.

perhaps reducing the football scholarships to 75 or 65 would drive those towards other men's programs, but i think the more likely result would be that women's programs would be cut.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not that I really worry about it but the difference between the have and haven't would be huge if 15-20 wrestling scholarships were available

Many schools can't put 9.9 ships together now so 15-20 would never happen for them
Is it many or most? I always assumed most schools can't fund 9.9 wrestlers, but I am probably wrong.
I think 15-20 scholarships might just kill the sport, as the rich would get richer and the poor would drop the sport entirely.

psumacw, Title IX is working how it was intended. I’m all for opening up opportunities to women and men. What bothers me is people champion Title IX by listing all the good things and just ignore how it severely hurt wrestling. Imagine if Title IX hurt a women’s sport the way it did wrestling?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT