ADVERTISEMENT

A few concerns - Post game

creamery

Jul 28, 2009
Just got back from the game. Here’s a few things that concerned me on Defense:

-BG was able to run the ball today and I had hoped our more veteran and experienced DTs would resolve that issue. That’s going to be a problem in big games if it continues
-DEs - DDS doesn’t get much of a pass rush and looked to be 1:1 most of the day. Carter was better today but he’s certainly not dominant at this point. He also played some LB today. Backups didn’t do much.
-CBs - reminded me a bit of the Ole Miss game - we had a hard time covering them,often on 3rd down

-BG was able to run the ball today and I had hoped our more veteran and experienced DTs would resolve that issue. That’s going to be a problem in big games if it continues
-DEs - DDS doesn’t get much of a pass rush and looked to be 1:1 most of the day. Carter was better today but he’s certainly not dominant at this point. He also played some LB today. Backups didn’t do much.
-CBs - reminded me a bit of the Ole Miss game - we had a hard time covering them,often on 3rd down
Zero pass rush for second straight game revealed issues elsewhere today.

In as much as I agree with you, Bowling Green was getting the ball out really fast the first quarter. it's hard to rush the QB when he's delivering the pass in a couple seconds.

That said, there is definitely room for improvement on the quick hitters.

In as much as I agree with you, Bowling Green was getting the ball out really fast the first quarter. it's hard to rush the QB when he's delivering the pass in a couple seconds.

That said, there is definitely room for improvement on the quick hitters.
Not just getting the ball out quickly but with pinpoint accuracy. I did not believe he would be able to keep that up for 60 minutes and that proved to be the case.

They had 120 rushing yards. Not sure I can be upset with that.

Reactions: mgkpsu and ncgolfer

BG rnunning the ball = the 4-2-5 defense. That coach showed the Big Ten how to beat it. Once they went to three LB's and the D got it's bearings they only scored 3 points. My question is why does it always take a full half to make the necessary adjustments.

Really a game of two Halfs defensively.... BGSU had 293 yards of Offense and 24 points in First Half.... and 82 yards of Offense and 3 points in the Second Half (54 yards of that 82 was gained on BGSU's last drive of game when PSU had gone into a "prevent defense" and tackle BGSU players in-bounds to force BGSU to run clock because BGSU had burned all of their TOs, couldn't stop clock and PSU had just taken a 10 point lead with a TD) - BGSU took possession with 4:09 remaining and was forced to kick a FG on 4th-&-4 from the 24 with only 47 seconds remaining (so it was the correct defensive strategy to ensure the win.

BG rnunning the ball = the 4-2-5 defense. That coach showed the Big Ten how to beat it. Once they went to three LB's and the D got it's bearings they only scored 3 points. My question is why does it always take a full half to make the necessary adjustments.

Agree regarding defensive adjustments - really a game of two Halfs defensively.... BGSU had 293 yards of Offense and 24 points in First Half.... and 82 yards of Offense and 3 points in the Second Half (54 yards of that 82 was gained on BGSU's last drive of game when PSU had gone into a "prevent defense" and tackle BGSU players in-bounds to force BGSU to run clock because BGSU had burned all of their TOs, couldn't stop clock and PSU had just taken a 10 point lead with a TD) - BGSU took possession with 4:09 remaining and was forced to kick a FG on 4th-&-4 from the 24 with only 47 seconds remaining (so it was the correct defensive strategy to ensure the win.).

So not only did BGSU only score 3 points, but 51 of their 82 Second Half yards came on that drive - BGSU's final possession of game after PSU had just scored a TD to take a 10 point lead and was playing a form of defense designed to keep everything underneath and inbounds - it was the correct thing to do as BGSU burned over 80% of remaining short clock and never threatened a big play or TD (i.e., drive was largely meaningless and PSU was playing soft to keep everything in-play and underneath.).

Last edited:
Haven’t seen this mentioned all that much, but 6 offside calls in our DL in two weeks is really bad. And happening in big down/distances. What is Barnes doing to work on it? I watched a peewee game Saturday morning with no defensive offsides.

I thought Carter played fantastic yesterday and I don’t think fans are realizing the amount of attention he’s drawing. The issue is that he gets zero 1:1 opportunities because DDS & Co are not being productive, AT ALL. The front seven has disappointed. Outside of maybe Zane Durant in stopping the run.

I still feel pretty good about the secondary. Definitely need Winston to get healthy. And Rojas is elite as LB in coverage. Feels like we’ve had some ticky tacky interference calls in weeks 1/2.

The WR is the biggest concern of them all. We have to score big, this is college football. When it comes down to games with the big boys, you need to put 30 points on the board. Wallace had zero catches. Fleming just isn’t that guy. Evans has a consistency issue. I think a lot of Allar’s deficiencies have to do with a lack of weapons on the outside. Serious lack of consistency and ability to get open.

No huddle offense and short,quick passes will do that to a defense. BG had a good game plan and it looked like we weren't ready for it and were gassed by the end of the first half.

BG only had 121 yds rushing and 41 came on one run with 3 minutes to play in the second half.

Zero sacks for a team that presumably has great DEs isn't good, especially considering how often they blitz.

BG's game plan was great. They knew we had strong DEs and that we were likely to play with 5 DBs and 2 LBs. They took advantage with a lot of quick release crossing routes and lots of misdirection. PSU didn't adjust and bring Carter closer to the edge until the second half.

Last edited:
Odds are psu loses two this year regular season and maybe wins a playoff game . It's been 30 years since we were undefeated so anything over 10-2 this season makes me happy.

Zero sacks for a team that presumably great DEs isn't good, especially considering how often they blitz.

BG's game plan was great. They knew we had strong DEs and that we were likely to play with 5 DBs and 2 LBs. They took advantage with a lot of quick release crossing routes and lots of misdirection. PSU didn't adjust and bring Carter closer to the edge until the second half.

Ton of uncalled holding. There was a play on the edge where OL blocked, and wrapped up, PSU defender from behind freeing the screen pass for a long gain. Block took place in wide-open space, was beyond blatantly illegal - no flag. Let's not forget, the lame b1g Officials wiped-out two promising PSU possessions after long gains with Holding calls that converted the long gains into 2nd/3rd-&-20 type situations. BGSU called for 3 penalties for 18 yards (6 yards per penalty). PSU called for 7 penalties for 76 yards (11 yards per penalty). Virtually every one of the penalties either wiped out a PSU long play / possession or gave BGSU a First Down.

Reactions: bono47 and Waltwam
Agree regarding defensive adjustments - really a game of two Halfs defensively.... BGSU had 293 yards of Offense and 24 points in First Half.... and 82 yards of Offense and 3 points in the Second Half (54 yards of that 82 was gained on BGSU's last drive of game when PSU had gone into a "prevent defense" and tackle BGSU players in-bounds to force BGSU to run clock because BGSU had burned all of their TOs, couldn't stop clock and PSU had just taken a 10 point lead with a TD) - BGSU took possession with 4:09 remaining and was forced to kick a FG on 4th-&-4 from the 24 with only 47 seconds remaining (so it was the correct defensive strategy to ensure the win.).

So not only did BGSU only score 3 points, but 51 of their 82 Second Half yards came on that drive - BGSU's final possession of game after PSU had just scored a TD to take a 10 point lead and was playing a form of defense designed to keep everything underneath and inbounds - it was the correct thing to do as BGSU burned over 80% of remaining short clock and never threatened a big play or TD (i.e., drive was largely meaningless and PSU was playing soft to keep everything in-play and underneath.).
Penn state pulled ahead and essentially sealed the win , I wish it happened sooner though but I thought it would end this way .

OMG! The hated ‘prevent defense’ actually prevented a loss!

I would add the LB room as a major cause of concern. Rojas is the only exception. The other LBs are not athletic enough to cover in space. They will get carved up by USC and Ohio State.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Zero sacks for a team that presumably great DEs isn't good, especially considering how often they blitz.

Carter was getting double teamed most of the time while he lined up at DE. IMO, I think he would be better suited playing in a more LB type role where he could be moved around making the offense having to account for him and creating mismatches. As a DE on the LOS the offense always knows where he is and will adjust the blocking scheme accordingly.

I still don’t think we’re an offense that can get 2 yards with a RB on 3rd and short. We can’t just line up and grind it when needed.

Reactions: mnuccio2
Carter was getting double teamed most of the time while he lined up at DE. IMO, I think he would be better suited playing in a more LB type role where he could be moved around making the offense having to account for him and creating mismatches. As a DE on the LOS the offense always knows where he is and will adjust the blocking scheme accordingly.
Agreed. Go to a 4-3 with Carter as the 3rd LB and you can still use him to rush the passer. It should make it more unpredictable and harder to double team him. Of course, he will still get held.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I still don’t think we’re an offense that can get 2 yards with a RB on 3rd and short. We can’t just line up and grind it when needed.
Nope...and we haven't been for the most part under JF. He talks about annually every offseason that they need to be a team that can run the ball when they want to, and when they need to.

Our OL just doesn't have that bulldog mentality and typically craps on themselves in big games. We can hope to buck that trend this season.

Nope...and we haven't been for the most part under JF. He talks about annually every offseason that they need to be a team that can run the ball when they want to, and when they need to.

Our OL just doesn't have that bulldog mentality and typically craps on themselves in big games. We can hope to buck that trend this season.
We currently are number 15 in the nation in rushing at 228 rushing yards per game. We suck.

Ton of uncalled holding. There was a play on the edge where OL blocked, and wrapped up, PSU defender from behind freeing the screen pass for a long gain. Block took place in wide-open space, was beyond blatantly illegal - no flag. Let's not forget, the lame b1g Officials wiped-out two promising PSU possessions after long gains with Holding calls that converted the long gains into 2nd/3rd-&-20 type situations. BGSU called for 3 penalties for 18 yards (6 yards per penalty). PSU called for 7 penalties for 76 yards (11 yards per penalty). Virtually every one of the penalties either wiped out a PSU long play / possession or gave BGSU a First Down.
Agree 100%. I noted this yesterday during the game thread. Every major call went BG's way in the second half. Do you really think OSU has those calls go against them by that crew in Ohio Stadium? They wouldn't have bothered to review the Allen catch, no way they call offensive pass interference, or offside inducing false start, or holding on the kicking team. Lest we forget about the spots.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
We currently are number 15 in the nation in rushing at 228 rushing yards per game.

Lol ok...like that means anything. Based on the body of work over the yrs, that is what counts. Game results. JF is so enamored with certain stats that they render meaningless if u lose big games.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUSignore
OMG! The hated ‘prevent defense’ actually prevented a loss!

Well, let's just say it was the highest percentage play for ensuring a win. Down 10, BGSU ended up kicking a FG outside the Redzone after using up all but 47 seconds of the clock on a 10 play 51 yard drive - you'd be hard pressed to convince me that BGSU wasn't doing precisely what PSU wanted them to do by accepting non-chunck plays that left the clock running and a lot of yardage between BGSU's offense and the goal-line.

We currently are number 15 in the nation in rushing at 228 rushing yards per game. We suck.
Also, it’s not just us that struggles to run the ball at times. I know that they played without their best lineman last night, but the great Bama struggled mightily until the 4th quarter to run the ball against South Florida, and one of their lineman was called for at least four or five penalties.

Lol ok...like that means anything. Based on the body of work over the yrs, that is what counts. Game results. JF is so enamored with certain stats that they render meaningless if u lose big games.

LMAO, those are the FACTUAL, ACTUAL stats for this year's team.... and THIS YEAR's players, but now they're "meaningless" according to you???? BTW genius, PSU has put up 456 rushing yards on 79 rushes this year to-date. That's 5.8 ypc (a country mile from struggling to run the ball), but we aren't allowed to talk about the actual stats???? You're quite the debater - LMFAO. 😅😅😅

Agree 100%. I noted this yesterday during the game thread. Every major call went BG's way in the second half. Do you really think OSU has those calls go against them by that crew in Ohio Stadium? They wouldn't have bothered to review the Allen catch, no way they call offensive pass interference, or offside inducing false start, or holding on the kicking team. Lest we forget about the spots.

They also called us for a DPI that resulted in BGSU moving into Redzone. My problem with their Officiating is their blatant inconsistency depending upon which team the penalty is being called - somehow, they called PSU for 3 Offensive Holds which all wiped out huge plays and killed promising PSU Offensive drives. Then they call PSU for both Offensive and Defensive Pass Interference, but then "no call" on pass to Evans in Endzone where he was well behind BGSU defender and the BGSU D-back ran Evans over without looking for ball when Evans (who was looking at ball) slowed to adjust to the ball. Yes, the ball hits the BGSU d-back's arm which is literally wrapped around Evans chest holding his arms down - but the ball does not contact d-back until well after he has run-over and is tackling Evans who is attempting to adjust to ball (and again, BGSU defender tackles Evans before ball arrives without ever looking back for ball - i.e., he was clearly playing the receiver and not the ball). That was blatant Defensive Pass Interference (esspecially relative to the ticky-tack contact they called DPI on PSU d-back on) - no flag.

The b1g clown Officials are ridiculous in their inconsistency against PSU. By the way, BGSU's first TD could have easily been called Offensive PI as the inside BGSU receiver intentionally runs his route directly into PSU defender covering outside man (intentional pick) - no flag.

We didn't adjust until half because we didn't want the other guy to dictate scheme. Thought we'd settle in and stop them because of talent. Didn't happen, so we changed.

My concern was 2nd half offensive inconsistency. Should've scored way more often and easily.

It’s always nice to get a win but much improvement is needed
Agree and I think many should just let this play out. I still think Oregon, OSU and PSU still make the Playoffs out of the B1G and maybe even USC (the team to keep an eye on). PSU should be a lock for a Playoff spot and should look much better at the end of the year

As for Michigan, they just look like a train wreck right now.....especially their offense. Yeah, they had 13 players drafted but just don't have the depth - like Georgia, Alabama, OSU etc - to replace them every year. It's a shame PSU doesn't play Michigan this year as I think they would thump them

Haven’t seen this mentioned all that much, but 6 offside calls in our DL in two weeks is really bad. And happening in big down/distances. What is Barnes doing to work on it? I watched a peewee game Saturday morning with no defensive offsides.

I thought Carter played fantastic yesterday and I don’t think fans are realizing the amount of attention he’s drawing. The issue is that he gets zero 1:1 opportunities because DDS & Co are not being productive, AT ALL. The front seven has disappointed. Outside of maybe Zane Durant in stopping the run.

I still feel pretty good about the secondary. Definitely need Winston to get healthy. And Rojas is elite as LB in coverage. Feels like we’ve had some ticky tacky interference calls in weeks 1/2.

The WR is the biggest concern of them all. We have to score big, this is college football. When it comes down to games with the big boys, you need to put 30 points on the board. Wallace had zero catches. Fleming just isn’t that guy. Evans has a consistency issue. I think a lot of Allar’s deficiencies have to do with a lack of weapons on the outside. Serious lack of consistency and ability to get open.

Franklin noted that prior to the game. Pre snap and post snap penalties are a problem. You can bet on some teams will be trying to take advantage of that as the season progresses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT