ADVERTISEMENT

A question for you guys from the Ohio State board….

For those that say the wrestlers pick their weight, that's true to a degree. Talking among themselves to figure that out and doing what's best for the team also happens. Wouldn't surprise me to see Haines at 157 next season at least.

Brooks is probably the only one that is moving up. But, make no mistake, Brooks is moving up.
The only question is if Ball will be the guy at 184 or if they pull Barrs redshirt...

I happen to think Ball could have been R12 or better this year if he was the guy at 184

Reactions: hlstone
Not sure why people want to bump up those studs from their more natural weight (it seems). Where they are at seems to me is their best shot at NC. With possibly more bonus rate.
Because it's the offseason -- we shake up the entire lineup every year.

Reactions: zzs006
Because it's the offseason -- we shake up the entire lineup every year.
Reminds me of a between-seasons thread on Scout back in the day. Don't remember the season, but I do remember the result. In the neighborhood of 20-40 posters stated their line-ups for the upcoming season. When the season finally did roll around and the dust settled on the PSU line-up for the season, the best guess had four starting wrestlers -- yep, ONLY four starters! But that wasn't the fun part...that was reading the thread and seeing the adamant among them spit fire with their anger over some of the disagreements. It was a sight to see.

Here is what I am thinking next year COULD look like. I will be giving a lot of options at a few weights.

125: Steen/Howard/Davis
133: Howard/Davis
141: BB
149: Kasak/Van Ness
157: Kasak/Van Ness
165: Levi
174: Facundo
184: CStar
197: Brooks
HWT: Kerk
2023/4 The Portal/Ray Guy strategy = top 10 team

125: Noto - Steen/Howard. (RS Nasdeo)
133: Vito - Shunk/Vespa /Bettancourt (RS Davis)
141: Evans (Oly RS Bartlett)
149: Heard (Oly RS Van Ness, RS Kasak)
157: Barraclough (Oly RS Haines)
165: M. Lee (Oly RS Facundo)
174: S. Griffith, Kreazig (Oly RS Starroci)
184: D. Ball (Oly RS Brooks, RS Barr)
197: Truax, Beard, E. Smith
HWT: A. Hoopes (Oly RS Kerk)

Chance of those transfers <1%

Chance of one of those xfers 25%

Chance of Punt year 30%, likely driven by Carter and Aaron's Oly aspirations next year. We can absorb losing one, but not both.

Last edited:
Then it's gonna be either Barr or Cochran..at 184
Can Cochran make 184? He wrestled there for an open during his RS year, but didn't at all this year. He seems like a fine bridge until the next gen of upper weight hammers are on the mat (i.e. Barr, Ryder, Mirasola(s), etc.). He should be able to qualify and get a couple points, with an outside shot at a low AA with a good tournament. With the guys coming up behind him, I doubt they would hesitate to pull Barr's RS if that makes the best lineup.

Can Cochran make 184? He wrestled there for an open during his RS year, but didn't at all this year. He seems like a fine bridge until the next gen of upper weight hammers are on the mat (i.e. Barr, Ryder, Mirasola(s), etc.). He should be able to qualify and get a couple points, with an outside shot at a low AA with a good tournament. With the guys coming up behind him, I doubt they would hesitate to pull Barr's RS if that makes the best lineup.
My understanding is Barr doesn't plan on redshirting which could impact their plans

Reactions: Zukovski
Reminds me of a between-seasons thread on Scout back in the day. Don't remember the season, but I do remember the result. In the neighborhood of 20-40 posters stated their line-ups for the upcoming season. When the season finally did roll around and the dust settled on the PSU line-up for the season, the best guess had four starting wrestlers -- yep, ONLY four starters! But that wasn't the fun part...that was reading the thread and seeing the adamant among them spit fire with their anger over some of the disagreements. It was a sight to see.
My favorites were some variety of "we must move the 2x national champ to make room for the guy coming off the bench."

Reactions: mcpat and Ski
I'm pretty sure the Lake is Glendale at Prince Gallitzin state park. I take your cold water and raise you Rock Run in Ralston PA. That's some icy cold water...
Useless trivia nobody wants or cares about. I worked for the state at the campground there in 1987 and 1988. The prime entertainment was turning on the bug zappers at dusk. I swear the way some of them fried and crackled for minutes that we got a few bats trapped in the zappers! In the morning you could scoop up the dead bugs under the zappers with a shovel.

Brooks is moving up. Book that.
May happen, but I'm not booking anything you say. Saw this gem on HR less than one week after I had a conversation with young Mr. Howard. Injuries may continue to plague the young man, but while the fire still burns and the doctors don't shut him down, he's still chasing his dream. True fans know better.

Psugo823: "Braeden Davis is the 125 for PSU next year. Howard's wrestling career is over unfortunately...injury prone kid."

You always struck me as more ROTC guy. I on the other hand am 100% frat star.

alright-john-winger.gif

Does anyone know the accurate status for Vito at Cornell? Has he in fact graduated? He still (obviously) has eligibility left with 2 years of Covid for the Ivy's, but I don't know if there is any truth to the statements made by some that Cornell prohibits competing after graduation? My bet is he will be in red and white next year and probably win his second.

Does anyone know the accurate status for Vito at Cornell? Has he in fact graduated? He still (obviously) has eligibility left with 2 years of Covid for the Ivy's, but I don't know if there is any truth to the statements made by some that Cornell prohibits competing after graduation? My bet is he will be in red and white next year and probably win his second.
It's been discussed in other threads ... not blaming you for not digging thru those, though. Search for NothingMeaningful posts. He claims Vito has not yet graduated. No reason to disbelieve that.

And, yes, the entire Ivy League prohibits grad students from competing. Max Dean had to leave Cornell in order to use all his eligibility (at the time he had 2 yrs NCAA remaining, but only 1 year Ivy left). Chas Tucker went into coaching with 1 yr left. Etc.

Reactions: hlstone
I think Levi is going to Redshirt. I also believe Brooks bumps up. Hoping Howard comes back, but my hunch is Noto via portal. Barr gets 4 free matches at 184 and Cael decides if he's ready for the jump.
I just don't see Cael and Company punting next year unless Brooks and Starocci decide not to go.

I think Levi is going to Redshirt. I also believe Brooks bumps up. Hoping Howard comes back, but my hunch is Noto via portal. Barr gets 4 free matches at 184 and Cael decides if he's ready for the jump.
I just don't see Cael and Company punting next year unless Brooks and Starocci decide not to go.
I don't think Noto is coming to PSU if for no other reason than bad look poaching our neighbor's one truly good wrestler.
Barr get 5 competition dates. Levi got a ton of matches out of his 5 dates.
I could be wrong, but it has been 8 years since a punt and I don't believe we will see him punt ever again.

I don't think Noto is coming to PSU if for no other reason than bad look poaching our neighbor's one truly good wrestler.
Barr get 5 competition dates. Levi got a ton of matches out of his 5 dates.
I could be wrong, but it has been 8 years since a punt and I don't believe we will see him punt ever again.
Yeah. Not sure where that hun h is coming from but that's a stretch to say the least

Lots of folks said Spencer was transferring to PSU too. It was always happening, until it didn't.
Agreed. Just not sure from any angle how it makes sense for not to transfer from where he's at. I guess getting a team trophy wouldn't be bad but that doesn't necessarily constitue a hunch

It's been discussed in other threads ... not blaming you for not digging thru those, though. Search for NothingMeaningful posts. He claims Vito has not yet graduated. No reason to disbelieve that.

And, yes, the entire Ivy League prohibits grad students from competing. Max Dean had to leave Cornell in order to use all his eligibility (at the time he had 2 yrs NCAA remaining, but only 1 year Ivy left). Chas Tucker went into coaching with 1 yr left. Etc.
I think Brucki went to Michigan after he graduated, too.

Reactions: El-Jefe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT