ADVERTISEMENT

A question for you guys from the Ohio State board….

BFosr1

Apr 29, 2017
So many over there are ‘hearing’ Levi Haines had a very hard cut this year and is no longer going 157 in the future.

My reply is that would be pure stupidity, and for a few reasons, again unless the kid can’t make the weight.

First off, what happens to Facundo? I doubt Cael gives up on a kid who had wins over Amine and Kharchla and wrestled both Hamiti and Kennedy tough as a freshman. The kid is talented and everyone knows it.

Second, Haines is the favorite at 157 next year. Why for his own sake or the team sake would he move up to arguably the most loaded weight class of all at 165 and go up with 2 timer O’Toole, national champ Carr, Hamiti, Amine etc etc… if he did go up, whose your 157, true freshman Sealy? Matt Lee ??

There is also talk of 2 other scenarios.. everyone moving up a weight including Facundo/Starroci/Brooks, or some Olympic redshirts being taken.

Now I don’t expect all these scenarios to be addressed, but please if you guys would, please make sense of Levi Haines moving up to 165 next year, or shoot it in the head for me, so I can report back.

Lol.

Thanks.

Levi when in HS publicly disdained cutting. Some is necessary in college. Not sure if his is a hard cut, or an adjustable to something he never had to do before. (He even won Cadet Trials up a weight from PA states that year, because he was still growing.)

Purely a guess: probably more the latter. He seems to have about the same build as Jason Nolf, muscular but not super jacked. I suspect he won't be a career 157 though -- his dad was a college 197 and his uncle a 174.

Next year's lineup has so many variables today, hard to say how it will go. Levi could shirt. Facundo could Olympic shirt (assuming same criteria as 2021). Carter could Olympic shirt and Facundo go up. Etc.

I just can’t fathom how someone who would be the favorite at 157 would want to go up to 165 which is absolutely loaded, with multiple national champs there. Like El-Jefe said.. Haines isn’t a jacked kid. He could grow, but I think it would be insane for him to go 165 next year, Facundo looked lanky and a lot smaller muscularity wise then many of his 165 opponents this year. I think he would really struggle at 174 next year that is unless If he was given a year to bulk up like a lot of these kids do nowadays …..that would be a different story.

So I guess it comes down to this… is 157 a cut Haines can’t make next year? Because unless that’s the case, the logic doesn’t make sense for him moving up IMO, Does it to any of you?

So many over there are ‘hearing’ Levi Haines had a very hard cut this year and is no longer going 157 in the future.

My reply is that would be pure stupidity, and for a few reasons, again unless the kid can’t make the weight.

First off, what happens to Facundo? I doubt Cael gives up on a kid who had wins over Amine and Kharchla and wrestled both Hamiti and Kennedy tough as a freshman. The kid is talented and everyone knows it.

Second, Haines is the favorite at 157 next year. Why for his own sake or the team sake would he move up to arguably the most loaded weight class of all at 165 and go up with 2 timer O’Toole, national champ Carr, Hamiti, Amine etc etc… if he did go up, whose your 157, true freshman Sealy? Matt Lee ??

There is also talk of 2 other scenarios.. everyone moving up a weight including Facundo/Starroci/Brooks, or some Olympic redshirts being taken.

Now I don’t expect all these scenarios to be addressed, but please if you guys would, please make sense of Levi Haines moving up to 165 next year, or shoot it in the head for me, so I can report back.

Lol.

Thanks.
Sealey may be in State College next year, but not wrestling for Penn State.

And just for a little more clarity… the reason any of this was brought up over on our board derives from a discussion relative to our own lineup. With Sasso coming back, for years the talk was he going up to 157 gave him the much better shot at a title with Yianni in the way at 149. With Yianni gone next year, 149 now appears the best path for Sasso because he matches up better with SVN and Austin Gomez then a sophomore Levi Haines who finishes shots. Sammy was beating Gomez pretty handily at last years All Star match before gassing.. it took him a quarter of a season to finally get his weight cut managed. But if Haines does move up to 165, then that becomes a new conversation over at Ohio State for Sammy to move up to a wide open 157 pound weight class.

Last edited:
As I've stated many times in different threads, Levi himself said his walk around weight is 165, a very easy cut to 157. Take it for what you will. BTW, the interview was this year.

His cut is no longer easy. He's growing and I don't see how he makes 157 next year. It's going to be interesting to see what Cael does with the lineup next year. Punt or not?

If you don't punt - there are holes at 125/133. Can Howard stay healthy? Is davis ready as a true freshman at 133?

157 - no way Haines makes it next year. Does he shirt? Does facundo? Star is on record as saying he'll keep his weight down during the season next year to be ready for 74kg.

197 - Brooks is not a 197 and 86 is his Olympic weight. But does he pull a Nickal/Wright, bump up and be light. But then that leaves a hole at 184.

It's going to be interesting to see what the returning champs do.

His cut is no longer easy. He's growing and I don't see how he makes 157 next year. It's going to be interesting to see what Cael does with the lineup next year. Punt or not?

If you don't punt - there are holes at 125/133. Can Howard stay healthy? Is davis ready as a true freshman at 133?

157 - no way Haines makes it next year. Does he shirt? Does facundo? Star is on record as saying he'll keep his weight down during the season next year to be ready for 74kg.

197 - Brooks is not a 197 and 86 is his Olympic weight. But does he pull a Nickal/Wright, bump up and be light. But then that leaves a hole at 184.

It's going to be interesting to see what the returning champs do.
You must know him personally, otherwise, I believe what I saw him say.

Perhaps the reason this notion has become common wisdom (i.e., Levi's cut is hard and wants to bump to 165) is primarily because Pyles says it a lot. I realize Pyles has sources, but he also often speculates and I don't put a lot of stock in his assertions unless he's explicitly reporting that x told him something. I think he's sometimes his own echo chamber.

There obviously could be something to it, but to my eye, he just doesn't look like a guy making a huge cut. It's certainly not evident late in matches either. For some guys cutting is easier, though, and maybe he just hates and it would prefer to wrestle where he's more comfortable, never mind the increased competition.

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
Perhaps the reason this notion has become common wisdom (i.e., Levi's cut is hard and wants to bump to 165) is primarily because Pyles says it a lot. I realize Pyles has sources, but he also often speculates and I don't put a lot of stock in his assertions unless he's explicitly reporting that x told him something. I think he's sometimes his own echo chamber.

There obviously could be something to it, but to my eye, he just doesn't look like a guy making a huge cut. It's certainly not evident late in matches either. For some guys cutting is easier, though, and maybe he just hates and it would prefer to wrestle where he's more comfortable, never mind the increased competition.
This makes the most sense to me.

That said, Cael has said the top guys get to choose their weights. Levi likely gained that right -- albeit with a lot of discussion and counseling.

This makes the most sense to me.

That said, Cael has said the top guys get to choose their weights. Levi likely gained that right -- albeit with a lot of discussion and counseling.
If he can’t make 157 I bet he redshirts next year. 165 would clear out a bit as well as AB graduating and opening up our lineup a bit. I have zero actual knowledge of where Levi stands in regards to any of this but it worked well for Zain and I can see it benefiting Levi as well

You must know him personally, otherwise, I believe what I saw him say.
A friend of mine sat by someone close to Levi at one of the later season meets. That person said the plan is 157 next year.

I know that is a bunch of “a friend of a friend” though the person that made the statement is very close to Levi, so take it for what it is worth. My guess is any future growing, or lack thereof, will possibly affect the current plan.

And just for a little more clarity… the reason any of this was brought up over on our board derives from a discussion relative to our own lineup. With Sasso coming back, for years the talk was he going up to 157 gave him the much better shot at a title with Yianni in the way at 149. With Yianni gone next year, 149 now appears the best path for Sasso because he matches up better with SVN and Austin Gomez then a sophomore Levi Haines who finishes shots. Sammy was beating Gomez pretty handily at last years All Star match before gassing.. it took him a quarter of a season to finally get his weight cut managed. But if Haines does move up to 165, then that becomes a new conversation over at Ohio State for Sammy to move up to a wide open 157 pound weight class.
We watched SVN level up in real time during the tournament this year. I'm not sure I'd say he will be an easier matchup by next year.

Reactions: creamery freak
Iirc Cael's comment early was dealing with the factors they were weighing in deciding whether to pull the redshirt - and Cael said "we dont how long he will be at 157" or something to that effect.
Some have interpreted that to mean he was having trouble this year - but it may simply have been a reference to how big his father was, and not reflected any current difficulties in being at 157.

Lol.

Thanks.
well Cael said Haines had a tough time making 157 and would move up how soon who knows!the better man wins !!Facundo as well was tough making weight!

As insane as 165 was this year it's just as bad if not worse next year. Looks like only 1 of the top 25 are graduating. Not sure on Quincy Monday. If Haines has to bump up I'd see a redshirt.
Sounded like Griffith might not take his last year. Also, could transfer but after watching that interview I got the feeling he is ready to move on and get his career started

well Cael said Haines had a tough time making 157 and would move up how soon who knows!the better man wins !!Facundo as well was tough making weight!
Just my take on Levi at 157 this year.
Based on two facts. The first being the kid has a gas tank the size of Prince Gallitzin Lake, and the second he is an 18 year-old that has never seriously had to manage his weight I will go out on a limb and say his cut to 157 this year was not overly strenuous.

That being said, he is 18. Growing into a mature body is a natural thing to do.

A friend of mine sat by someone close to Levi at one of the later season meets. That person said the plan is 157 next year.

I know that is a bunch of “a friend of a friend” though the person that made the statement is very close to Levi, so take it for what it is worth. My guess is any future growing, or lack thereof, will possibly affect the current plan.
Mrs Warner?

Word😎

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
How could anyone who watched Haines in his most recent third periods against Andonian, Robb, and O'Connor think the dude had a "hard cut"? Especially Andonian, obviously. The kid almost gets decked, has to bridge like a madman, has a pretty serious scramble near the end of the first, and comes back in the next 2 periods like virtually nothing difficult happened.

Mrs Warner?
She ain’t no friend of mine! I am not a fan of crazy!!

Season 3 Drinking GIF by NETFLIX

I wouldn't necessarily want to be permanently attached to crazy, but crazy women tend to be fun. As long as they don't explode with you in the vicinity.

Just saying.
I am pretty sure there is a video about hot and crazy, and I believe there is a sweet spot for both.

Though I will deny to my wife that I ever discussed this.

Found it!

Last edited:
Just my take on Levi at 157 this year.
Based on two facts. The first being the kid has a gas tank the size of Prince Gallitzin Lake, and the second he is an 18 year-old that has never seriously had to manage his weight I will go out on a limb and say his cut to 157 this year was not overly strenuous.

That being said, he is 18. Growing into a mature body is a natural thing to do.
A prince Gallitzin lake analogy. Awesome! - waiting for lake Raystown next - or even Shawnee - dam!

Here is what I am thinking next year COULD look like. I will be giving a lot of options at a few weights.

125: Steen/Howard/Davis
133: Howard/Davis
141: BB
149: Kasak/Van Ness
157: Kasak/Van Ness
165: Levi
174: Facundo
184: CStar
197: Brooks
HWT: Kerk

Just a thought. No idea if Van Ness or Kasak will be big enough to go 57. I don't like having Levi go up to 65, but with a full offseason to prepare, I think he is an immediate contender even up a weight. If Levi or Kasak take their actual red shirt, you could see BearClaw or Dunbar at 57. Could also see Facundo, CStar, and Brooks bump and insert Matt Lee at 65.
EDIT: Theres also Erik Gibson

The good news is there are options. Half that lineup above is eligible for an Oly Redshirt, so who knows what will happen. Guys transferring out/in, redshirts, and maybe a surprise commit or 2 in the near future...

Last edited:
Here is what I am thinking next year COULD look like. I will be giving a lot of options at a few weights.

125: Steen/Howard/Davis
133: Howard/Davis
141: BB
149: Kasak/Van Ness
157: Kasak/Van Ness
165: Levi
174: Facundo
184: CStar
197: Brooks
HWT: Kerk

Just a thought. No idea if Van Ness or Kasak will be big enough to go 57. I don't like having Levi go up to 65, but with a full offseason to prepare, I think he is an immediate contender even up a weight. If Levi or Kasak take their actual red shirt, you could see BearClaw or Dunbar at 57. Could also see Facundo, CStar, and Brooks bump and insert Matt Lee at 65.
EDIT: Theres also Erik Gibson

The good news is there are options. Half that lineup above is eligible for an Oly Redshirt, so who knows what will happen. Guys transferring out/in, redshirts, and maybe a surprise commit or 2 in the near future...
Kasak wrestled 141 at the Edinboro Open, so 157 next year seems unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT