ADVERTISEMENT

A USC loss to Minnesota is not a bad thing guys.

Your broadsweeping statement that USC is bad and soft is ridiculous. They aren't either one. Until the damn caved in in the one long run for Michigan which set up their win, USC was crushing them at the LOS, defensively. Michigan couldn't move the ball. USC also beat a talented LSU squad and had a nice win over Wisconsin, who by no means is soft, and has a better QB now than Van Dyke. And, flying across the country to play a minnesota team, which is built on physicality and big ten toughness, and going down to the wire, shows they aren't soft. They've also been more battle tested than us so far since everybody keeps crying about how good bowling green is.

I just find it interesting when some casuals on it here make these extreme statements about opponents and yet penn state hasn't exactly showed physical or mental toughness in their "big brand games" in which they've lost every one of pretty much of consequence for years now. Do you really think James coaches a hard a**, mentally strong team?

Because I think for all the talent we've had, we are tissue paper soft, and at times, embarrassing.

We better come away with a win on Saturday against what is no doubt
A very beatable southern california team. If not, based on your 'analysis' we must also then be a bad and soft team....of which, the latter is hard to disagree with until proven otherwise.
I'm not a casual, I've been going to PSU for over 30 years, have been to over 100 PSU games and over 10 bowl games. USC is soft. They have the Southern Cal mentality, care more about NIL than the team winning.

But it should still be a good game, they have athletes, especially at WR.

I'm not a casual, I've been going to PSU for over 30 years, have been to over 100 PSU games and over 10 bowl games. USC is soft. They have the Southern Cal mentality, care more about NIL than the team winning.

But it should still be a good game, they have athletes, especially at WR.
I could say the same for many of our players who recently have bailed on bowl games. Regardless, JF usually fields a mentally soft team, especially in big brand, blue blood matchups. It's why I think we should be underdogs until proven otherwise. His record in games similar to this is terrible. His whole 'we appreciate winning around here after knocking off the Northwesterns of the world is embarrassing. Your statement has to go both ways. Should we lose on Saturday to a supposed soft team, I guess that means we are soft as well, which I would agree with. Now, no doubt the last few yrs, USC has been totally soft and embarrassing on defense, needing to score 50+ pts to beat anyone. But, so far, under Lynn, their defense has been substantially better, and in many cases has saved the offense.

Last edited:
Like Urban said… nothing new about this PSU team. It’s the same old same old. Good athletes and good coaching. But can they win big games? We’ll see. Coach K better bring it! That’s what he’s here for.
I hear what you saying about Coach K and I want him to bring it too but the common denominator in Urban’s comment for the last 11 years has been Franklin. And the common denominator for Urban Meyer is that he either gets “sick” and leaves or he gets fired.

I could say the same for many of our players who recently have bailed on bowl games. Regardless, JF usually fields a mentally soft team, especially in big brand, blue blood matchups. It's why I think we should be underdogs until proven otherwise. His record in games similar to this is terrible. His whole 'we appreciate winning around here after knocking off the Northwesterns of the world is embarrassing. Your statement has to go both ways. Should we lose on Saturday to a supposed soft team, I guess that means we are soft as well, which I would agree with.
"His record in games similar". His record vs Similar team, unranked opponents as USC will be, is very good actually. So not sure what you’re talking about.

Franklin struggles mightily vs top 10 teams that are actually good. Not sure why you guys think that USC is some powerhouse.

"His record in games similar". His record vs Similar team, unranked opponents as USC will be, is very good actually. So not sure what you’re talking about.

Franklin struggles mightily vs top 10 teams that are actually good. Not sure why you guys think that USC is some powerhouse.

They’re seeing the name USC and tucking it between their legs.

Sorry.. I should have said versus similar blue blood opponents. So had the Trojans won last night and crept into the top 10, would that have really made a difference with this point? Do you think we are a powerhouse when every year people are talking about us as the best team that can't get over the hump? To me that sounds like an annual pretender but maybe your definition of a powerhouse Juggernaut is different than mine. For the amount of first round talent and numerous draft picks that James has had in his 11 years for his record to be what it is against the programs that are pivotal in accomplishing our goals, to me is pretty embarrassing and soft regardless however you want to spin it. Again circling back to the point of this initial thread, I think it would be the biggest win in the regular season that James would have had to date since the 2017 season if he can pull this off. But based on evidence since that time I'm skeptical for good reason.

Sorry since you're being obtuse I should have said versus similar blue blood opponents. So had the Trojans won last night and crept into the top 10, would that have really made a difference with this point? Do you think we are a powerhouse when every year people are talking about us as the best team that can't get over the hump? To me that sounds like an annual pretender but maybe your definition of a powerhouse Juggernaut is different than mine
Yes, USC losing tonight drastically changes things
And "powerhouse" is only relevant when those teams are good
Franklin needs to do better against elite team but USC isn't the type of team he usually loses to

I could say the same for many of our players who recently have bailed on bowl games. Regardless, JF usually fields a mentally soft team, especially in big brand, blue blood matchups. It's why I think we should be underdogs until proven otherwise. His record in games similar to this is terrible. His whole 'we appreciate winning around here after knocking off the Northwesterns of the world is embarrassing. Your statement has to go both ways. Should we lose on Saturday to a supposed soft team, I guess that means we are soft as well, which I would agree with.
"His record in games similar". His record vs Similar team, unranked opponents as USC will be, isvery good actually. So not sure what you’re talking about.

They’re seeing the name USC and tucking it between their legs.
Yeah I mean USC just lost to Minnesota who lost to UNC, Michigan and got pounded by Iowa. And they deserved to lose. And they lost to Michigan who got handled by Washington.

Not saying that we'll destroy them but they are an average Big Ten team. And Franklin does very well vs. Average Big Ten teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrivener
Yes, USC losing tonight drastically changes things
And "powerhouse" is only relevant when those teams are good
Franklin needs to do better against elite team but USC isn't the type of team he usually loses to
I understand what you are saying but how about last year's Ohio State team with a very mediocre quarterback and an offense that was arguably the worst Ryan Day has had since he's been there. That was a very pedestrian Ohio State team by their standards and with our first round left tackle and numerous other draft picks, we vomited all over ourselves. I agree with you that ranking certainly means something when evaluating teams like USC but at the end of the day we know they have a ton of speed offensively and arguably more playmakers on that side of the ball. Regardless what the ranking says, the pressure is 100% on James and Penn State to avoid being the annual fraud. That to me is why this is a monumental game. It's all about perception and results at this point for James and the program, which is why this is a gargantuan opportunity against a big brand that is down and why if we don't capitalize I'm not sure we ever will under this guy

I understand what you are saying but how about last year's Ohio State team with a very mediocre quarterback and an offense that was arguably the worst Ryan Day has had since he's been there. That was a very pedestrian Ohio State team by their standards and with our first round left tackle and numerous other draft picks, we vomited all over ourselves. I agree with you that ranking certainly means something when evaluating teams like USC but at the end of the day we know they have a ton of speed offensively and arguably more playmakers on that side of the ball. Regardless what the ranking says, the pressure is 100% on James and Penn State to avoid being the annual fraud. That to me is why this is a monumental game.
Pedestrian by Ohio State standards isn't pedestrian though. They were definitely better than us.
If your argument is we can't beat Ohio State this year I can get on board but this USC team isn't half as good as last year's Ohio State team.
So, does USC actually have that because, if they do, they didn't show up against Minnesota who doesn't have nearly the defense we have
It is a monumental game because he should win it--I just don't share your concern. He beats teams he's supposed to like USC this year. Ohio State last year wasn't a game he was supposed to win--still an awful performance but Ohio State was significantly better.

I understand what you are saying but how about last year's Ohio State team with a very mediocre quarterback and an offense that was arguably the worst Ryan Day has had since he's been there. That was a very pedestrian Ohio State team by their standards and with our first round left tackle and numerous other draft picks, we vomited all over ourselves. I agree with you that ranking certainly means something when evaluating teams like USC but at the end of the day we know they have a ton of speed offensively and arguably more playmakers on that side of the ball. Regardless what the ranking says, the pressure is 100% on James and Penn State to avoid being the annual fraud. That to me is why this is a monumental game. It's all about perception and results at this point for James and the program, which is why this is a gargantuan opportunity against a big brand that is down and why if we don't capitalize I'm not sure we ever will under this guy
Comparing last year's Ohio State vs. USC this year is laughable, sorry.

Also USC is not typically a tough venue. Crowds tend to be fickle and I’m sure losing to Minnesota isn’t going to help to make it hostile.

Comparing last year's Ohio State vs. USC this year is laughable, sorry.
Okay, so what would be your reasoning and your response on here should we lose on saturday? Based on your logic, then, we should be ultrasoft if we can't beat a bad soft, big ten team, correct?

You, I, and obviously, so many of us watch college football weekly. So we know that it's a match up sport...every week is different. With the exception of their fourth quarter against michigan last week, minnesota has looked like a** all season and yet pulled out a big win. I think vanderbilt will still struggle to make a bowl game and they pulled the biggest win maybe in their school's history. Arkansas has sucked, and they beat Tennessee.

Now I think we should be favored by at least a touchdown. I agree with you top to bottom our roster is better and we are primed to win this game....I think we're the better team.But that means nothing to me under this head coach in pivotal games for the program.

Okay, so what would be your reasoning and your response on here should we lose on saturday? Based on your logic, then, we should be ultrasoft if we can't beat a bad soft, big ten team, correct?

You, I, and obviously, so many of us watch college football weekly. So we know that it's a match up sport...every week is different. With the exception of their fourth quarter against michigan last week, minnesota has looked like a** all season and yet pulled out a big win. I think vanderbilt will still struggle to make a bowl game and they pulled the biggest win maybe in their school's history. Arkansas has sucked, and they beat Tennessee.

Now I think we should be favored by at least a touchdown. I agree with you top to bottom our roster is better and we are primed to win this game....I think we're the better team.But that means nothing in college football, and to me it means nothing under this head coach until proven otherwise.
Not who you asked--but if we lose on Saturday then it's a coaching failure--on a level we haven't seen from Franklin since 2021. It's not about Michigan or Ohio State

Bama thought they could sleep walk through Vandy and got surprised. When you don't show up that happens. Similar things with Tennessee against Arkansas. Both had big wins the week prior (UGa and OU) and didn't prep the way they needed to.

We've aren't coming off a big game--if anything we were probably looking ahead.

Now I think we should be favored by at least a touchdown. I agree with you top to bottom our roster is better and we are primed to win this game....I think we're the better team.But that means nothing to me under this head coach in pivotal games for the program.
If we lose then we lost to an average Big Ten team on the road. It could happen. They have very talented wrs so hopefully we can cover them well enough. We will miss Winston in this game for sure. Hopefully we have Singleton back bc that would be a big loss if he's out.

If we lose then we lost to an average Big Ten team on the road. It could happen.
And, we could also win and should. I agree with you. Sorry for the 'casual' comment...appreciate the convo. I just find it very challenging to be ultra confident with JF, Drew and the guys in really a must win game and a should win game, that can really move the needle for the program. I guess we will see. Hopefully u are right. If we don't have Nick back, I think we lose.

And, we could also win and should. I agree with you. Sorry for the 'casual' comment...appreciate the convo. I just find it very challenging to be ultra confident with JF, Drew and the guys in really a must win game and a should win game, that can really move the needle for the program. I guess we will see. Hopefully u are right. If we don't have Nick back, I think we lose.
I'm uber-confident in Drew....just worry about the supporting cast but that will come into play against Ohio State not USC IMO
I don't think USC moves the needle though--I think everyone expects us to win. Only beating Ohio State changes the narrative...or winning a playoff game.

Yeah I agree it's still a big game vs a blue blood. And Franklin has gotten a little tight in these games over the years but that's normally when the other teams are better than us. And we're the better team in this game. Franklin hasn't lost many games when he has the better team.

Yeah I agree it's still a big game vs a blue blood. And Franklin has gotten a little tight in these games over the years but that's normally when the other teams are better than us. And we're the better team in this game. Franklin hasn't lost many games when he has the better team.
True....when he is tight, u can also see it in the players. That is an area where I think he has to defer more to the coordinators...his risk aversion philosophy gets you close to the finish line, but hasn't proved to be the winning formula in those particular games. I'll be there in the Coliseum rooting us on.

True....when he is tight, u can also see it in the players. That is an area where I think he has to defer more to the coordinators...his risk aversion philosophy gets you close to the finish line, but hasn't proved to be the winning formula in those particular games. I'll be there in the Coliseum rooting us on.
Also, something to recognize is that OL's on past Franklin's teams have struggled to run the ball to close out games. This is his best OL to date, imo. Also he doesn't have Brent "Prevent D" Pry as D coordinator anymore to choke games away on defense.

Also, something to recognize is that OL's on past Franklin's teams have struggled to run the ball to close out games. This is his best OL to date, imo. Also he doesn't have Brent "Prevent D" Pry as D coordinator anymore to choke games away on defense.
Well, that is true. This group of OL guys, from the 1s and 2s certainly appear to be the most talented and higher ceiling group he's had. Especially run blocking. They might struggle a bit more in pass pro...but the run blocking is critical.

JF always says it annually about how they need to be able to run the ball not only when they want to, but when they have to. Obviously, they haven't really been able to do that during his time, but one has to think this group has the best chance up front to do so.

Well, that is true. This group of OL guys, from the 1s and 2s certainly appear to be the most talented and higher ceiling group he's had. Especially run blocking. They might struggle a bit more in pass pro...but the run blocking is critical.

JF always says it annually about how they need to be able to run the ball not only when they want to, but when they have to. Obviously, they haven't really been able to do that during his time, but one has to think this group has the best chance up front to do so.
Yeah, I mean a good example of this is vs USC in the Rose Bowl.

Usc drops out of the coaches poll. Not saying we can’t lose but this isn’t the type of game Franklin has struggled with recently.

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT