ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter

Not a valid reason for brandishing a deadly weapon.
Of course it is ... "stop assaulting me, I'm trying to leave ... get out of my way, as I feel threatened ..." Obviously the driver felt intimidated enough that simply asking, or telling, Carter to let him leave wouldn't have worked, so he tried to even the playing field by putting forth a threat of self-defense.

And, as further evidence of this, when Carter complied by getting out of the way, what happened? The driver didn't attack him ... he got in his truck and tried to leave. The tow truck driver was ending the assault with the threat of self-defense, it worked and he tried to head out before Carter actually physically assaulted him.

Reactions: lazydave841
wrong.

A 6-3 inch chiseled 257 lb professional athlete physically blocks your ability to access your vehicle with his forearm while you are dutifully processing your job and you don't think that is threatening?
Had Carter NOT blocked his access, would he have picked up an iron? Carter caused that with his actions.

there are words and there are actions. Actions are much more meaningful than words.
Disagree. There is no threat by standing in someone's way, especially when there is a disagreement about the legality of the attempt to remove someone's property (i.e. Carter wanted to call the police).

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Of course it is ... "stop assaulting me, I'm trying to leave ... get out of my way, as I feel threatened ..." Obviously the driver felt intimidated enough that simply asking, or telling, Carter to let him leave wouldn't have worked, so he tried to even the playing field by putting forth a threat of self-defense.

And, as further evidence of this, when Carter complied by getting out of the way, what happened? The driver didn't attack him ... he got in his truck and tried to leave. The tow truck driver was ending the assault with the threat of self-defense, it worked and he tried to head out before Carter actually physically assaulted him.
He escalated the incident by brandishing a deadly weapon. Full stop.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Disagree. There is no threat by standing in someone's way, especially when there is a disagreement about the legality of the attempt to remove someone's property (i.e. Carter wanted to call the police).
The law would disagree with you, as would common sense. But you stand your ground if you want.

If Carter wanted to call the police, he could have just done so. "Hey, I think some guy is stealing my car, posing as a tow truck driver ... license plate blah blah blah." Pretty simple. He chose to assault the guy and keep him from leaving (again, false imprisonment enters the picture, as well ... though that's an unlikely charge despite its potential presence here). And when the guy actually WAS leaving, Carter provided further evidence that he was assaulting the man earlier by physically attacking him.

Last edited:
He escalated the incident by brandishing a deadly weapon. Full stop.

Incorrect. He evened out the situation by presenting a weapon in defense of himself when he obviously felt threatened by a large man physically stopping him from getting into his truck to leave. Most fullest stop. No more stoppiness to be had stop.

Last edited:
It's been how many days and there have been no charges brought against the tow driver?

wrong.

A 6-3 inch chiseled 257 lb professional athlete physically blocks your ability to access your vehicle with his forearm while you are dutifully processing your job and you don't think that is threatening?
Had Carter NOT blocked his access, would he have picked up an iron? Carter caused that with his actions.

there are words and there are actions. Actions are much more meaningful than words.
So now it is a crime to be a big athletic black guy? If an only lady put her forearm in front of the access to the truck, would it also be a threat? Is it only a threat because Carter is a big, athletic black guy? Do big, athletic black guys have different legal rights?

And you are now blaming Carter for the tow guy picking up a large metal bar and threatening Carter with it? This isn't S. Carolina circa 1800. Only the tow op is responsible for the tow op's actions. In this case, that is criminally using a deadly weapon to make terroristic threats. Charge the tow operator for his crime as they have charged Carter for his. Or does State College see these men differently under the law?

Dude. how about you pay for your parking and then don't break the tow truck operator's ribs?

Take some responsibility, for crying out loud.
Carter was charged. He will have to take responsibility for his actions.

Why does the tow op not have to take responsibility for making terroristic threats with a deadly weapon to a student? Charge this man for his crime as well.

So now it is a crime to be a big athletic black guy? If an only lady put her forearm in front of the access to the truck, would it also be a threat? Is it only a threat because Carter is a big, athletic black guy? Do big, athletic black guys have different legal rights?

And you are now blaming Carter for the tow guy picking up a large metal bar and threatening Carter with it? This isn't S. Carolina circa 1800. Only the tow op is responsible for the tow op's actions. In this case, that is criminally using a deadly weapon to make terroristic threats. Charge the tow operator for his crime as they have charged Carter for his. Or does State College see these men differently under the law?
Wow...you are going off the deep end.

1. carter parked illegally
  2. carter confronted the tow truck operator who was simply doing his job
  3. carter physically imposed himself on the driver in a manner to intimidate him into not entering his vehicle
  4. carter is a uber fit professional athlete
  5. carter pulled him from the truck and broke his ribs

This isn't a black/white thing or even a student/citizen thing. Carter illegally parked, and then got pissed off when he had to pay the consequences.

Because he's white in State College and students don't have rights or safety to protect.
Show us on the doll where the tow truck driver touched you

Cars-3-Mater-Ty-Plush-5-X-4-X-7-5-inches_40c43399-d41f-4ae6-967f-c42383f6e530_1.7838ef7634af6ecc27bc9a2f71b0b5d5.jpeg

You're very emotionally-driven and you're eschewing facts and logic.

No, it's not a crime to be a big athletic black guy. If an "only lady" put her forearm in front of the access to the truck (and, apparently, in front of the access to the English), you would consider the circumstances ... absolutely. So the threat of harm from a huge, young athlete is different than the threat of harm from an old lady. That's a thing. So is the specific circumstances of the alleged victim. If it was a big, athletic white guy it'd be the same consideration as a big, athletic black guy ... so stop pushing that false racism narrative. It's weak, like your argument. Why do you think Carter physically got in the way of the tow truck driver and stuck his forearm out to prevent him from entering said vehicle? Why didn't he, instead, ask nicely ... "please, sir, don't enter your vehicle ... stay here and continue to converse with me."? Because he knew the threat of force, and actual physical impediment, would help him get his way.

Your characterization of the tow truck driver's actions are incredibly illogical. He felt threatened ... he was being prohibited from entering his own truck. Yes, that justifies presenting a metal bar and saying the equivalent of "let me get to my truck." You are allowed to defend yourself from assault and false imprisonment. There is no crime there, absent other circumstances that haven't been disclosed, as yet.

Time for a new moniker for you.

Wow...you are going off the deep end.

1. carter parked illegally
  2. carter confronted the tow truck operator who was simply doing his job
  3. carter physically imposed himself on the driver in a manner to intimidate him into not entering his vehicle
  4. carter is a uber fit professional athlete
  5. carter pulled him from the truck and broke his ribs

This isn't a black/white thing or even a student/citizen thing. Carter illegally parked, and then got pissed off when he had to pay the consequences.
And Carter was charged.

The tow op escalated a non-violent misunderstanding to violence when he picked up a large metal bar that could kill someone and threatened a student with it.

The tow op committed a crime and must be charged.

And Carter was charged.

The tow op escalated a non-violent misunderstanding to violence when he picked up a large metal bar that could kill someone and threatened a student with it.

You can continue showing your ignorance of the law, but that's a YOU problem. Take care of it.

And Carter was charged.

OK, if you say so. The guy will get off stating that he was physically restrained and was defending himself. It would be a waste of time.

OK, if you say so. The guy will get off stating that he was physically restrained and was defending himself. It would be a waste of time.
Again, he was not restrained. He was blocked. Physical restrained implies grabbed and held. Carter hadn't touched him until after the guy picked up a large metal bar and shouted threats of using it on Carter. Stop being dishonest.

Again, he was not restrained. He was blocked. Physical restrained implies grabbed and held. Carter hadn't touched him until after the guy picked up a large metal bar and shouted threats of using it on Carter. Stop being dishonest.
I don't know what you think happened but if a big guy physically restrains me from entering my vehicle I am "restrained" and feeling quite threatened. Especially when he is wrong and in a heightened emotional condition. Unless the article is wrong or left out key information, I've got no problem with what the driver did. And if I was on a jury, would find the same.

Restraint doesn't require physical contact. You guys have to just stop making things up.

If you block someone's path ... even without touching them ... it can be harassment, assault or false imprisonment, depending on the circumstances.

Restraint doesn't require physical contact. You guys have to just stop making things up.

If you block someone's path ... even without touching them ... it can be harassment, assault or false imprisonment, depending on the circumstances.
Especially if you are blocking block their path to the inside of their vehicle as they are trying to do their job.

I don't know what you think happened but if a big guy physically restrains me from entering my vehicle I am "restrained" and feeling quite threatened. Especially when he is wrong and in a heightened emotional condition. Unless the article is wrong or left out key information, I've got no problem with what the driver did. And if I was on a jury, would find the same.
Physically restrains implies contact. There was no contact and you know that from the report. You simply keep wanting to use language that implies that there was contact.

What is not debatable at all from the official report is that the tow operator without having been touched or threatened, picked up a large metal bar and began yelling threats as he approached Carter. That is a crime known as terroristic threats with a deadly weapon in PA law. He must be charged.

Physically restrains implies contact. There was no contact and you know that from the report. You simply keep wanting to use language that implies that there was contact.

What is not debatable at all from the official report is that the tow operator without having been touched or threatened, picked up a large metal bar and began yelling threats as he approached Carter. That is a crime known as terroristic threats with a deadly weapon in PA law. He must be charged.
Physically restraining means that you are using your body to restrain someone. the tow truck operator should have been free to enter his truck. He was "physically restrained" from entering his truck.

Physically restraining means that you are using your body to restrain someone. the tow truck operator should have been free to enter his truck. He was "physically restrained" from entering his truck.
There is a reason the official report uses the language blocked with forearm. Carter put his arm across the entrance of the door. He did not touch or threaten the driver who then went and picked up a large metal tow bar and physically threatened Carter with it as he approached him.

The tow driver committed a crime in the state of PA known as terroristic threats with a deadly weapon. It is time to charge him and let the courts decide.

There is a reason the official report uses the language blocked with forearm. Carter put his arm across the entrance of the door. He did not touch or threaten the driver who then went and picked up a large metal tow bar and physically threatened Carter with it as he approached him.

The tow driver committed a crime in the state of PA known as terroristic threats with a deadly weapon. It is time to charge him and let the courts decide.
ok...you can't do that. you can't physically keep someone from accessing his vehicle when it is of no physical threat to you. it is against the law.

ok...you can't do that. you can't physically keep someone from accessing his vehicle when it is of no physical threat to you. it is against the law.
When they are taking your property you can.

You absolutely cannot having not been touched or threatened, go pick up a large metal bar and approach someone shouting threats of physical harm to them. It is against the law.

When they are taking your property you can.

You absolutely cannot having not been touched or threatened, go pick up a large metal bar and approach someone shouting threats of physical harm to them. It is against the law.
LOL...not when that car is illegally parked!

It's been 5 days and you guys are still arguing about this?

let it go GIF

Yes, the exchange has taken on a circular character...like, four pages ago.

The irony is that when the dust settles, it's a misdemeanor charge that will amount to nothing. Carter has a court date of May 22, and he's going to get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, which makes the entire debate academic. I mean, you can argue whether a slap on the wrist is the appropriate outcome, but that's what's going to happen.

I do think the coach should pull him into the office and say, strike 1 was the misdemeanor marijuana charge last September, strike 2 is the misdemeanor assault charge in March...I would highly advise that there not be a strike 3. Then to drive the point home, sit his ass for the first half of the West Virginia game. I mean, if we need Abdul Carter in order to beat the Mountaineers, we're in big trouble.

Yes, the exchange has taken on a circular character...like, four pages ago.

The irony is that when the dust settles, it's a misdemeanor charge that will amount to nothing. Carter has a court date of May 22, and he's going to get the equivalent of a slap on the wrist, which makes the entire debate academic. I mean, you can argue whether a slap on the wrist is the appropriate outcome, but that's what's going to happen.

I do think the coach should pull him into the office and say, strike 1 was the misdemeanor marijuana charge last September, strike 2 is the misdemeanor assault charge in March...I would highly advise that there not be a strike 3. Then to drive the point home, sit his ass for the first half of the West Virginia game. I mean, if we need Abdul Carter in order to beat the Mountaineers, we're in big trouble.
that is the criminal side. you can bet the farm that the tow truck operator will file a civil suit unless, of course, they agree to a payment with an NDA attached.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT