ADVERTISEMENT

Alert the Bloomington paramedics

I think the issue some have with Carter is that while he’s no doubt outstanding, he talks about being compared to the legends and talks as if he is/will be a legend but from a sheer dominance perspective that doesn’t often show.
Never forget watching an interview of IMar between Bigs and Nats of his junior year. Him saying how he will automatically be a 4 timer. Granted, it didnt seem “cocky” in the same sense as how Carters feels a bit unnecessary. Either way, he jinxed himself and we know the rest of the story.

I assume everyone who has a problem with what Carter says also has a problem with every Bo interview since going into MMA.

I assume everyone who has a problem with what Carter says also has a problem with every Bo interview since going into MMA.
Everything I have read is basically it’s not the reader’s cup of tea but if it works for Carter, fine. That is my feeling about Bo as well. I do think it is more common in MMA as the athletes are hyping each fight to maximize viewership.

Everything I have read is basically it’s not the reader’s cup of tea but if it works for Carter, fine. That is my feeling about Bo as well. I do think it is more common in MMA as the athletes are hyping each fight to maximize viewership.
Agree. It really isnt much trash talk. You beat me now I am going to beat you.

I mean yes I generally think Bo looks like a goof (to put it nicely) most times when he gets in front of a mic but he’s also delivered more consistently to this point not just with wins but with dominating performances as well.

Never forget watching an interview of IMar between Bigs and Nats of his junior year. Him saying how he will automatically be a 4 timer. Granted, it didnt seem “cocky” in the same sense as how Carters feels a bit unnecessary. Either way, he jinxed himself and we know the rest of the story.
With Martinez, it sometimes felt like he was playing reverse psychology.

Case in point: before the dual, he said publicly that Jason couldn't handle his pace. The opposite proved true, both in the dual and in how he then tightened the pace at B10s and NCAAs.

It was as if his initial comment was trying to trick Jason into slowing the match.

FWIW, Bo is no longer representing the university.

Nearly everything Carter says doesn't bother me. The bulk of his latest IG post was mostly just trash talk. Not my style but whatever. The revenge quote was over-the-top tasteless. It should earn him an earful from Cael and Kraft about being a university representative.

Nearly everything Carter says doesn't bother me. The bulk of his latest IG post was mostly just trash talk. Not my style but whatever. The revenge quote was over-the-top tasteless. It should earn him an earful from Cael and Kraft about being a university representative.
What part is "over the top"?

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
With Martinez, it sometimes felt like he was playing reverse psychology.

Case in point: before the dual, he said publicly that Jason couldn't handle his pace. The opposite proved true, both in the dual and in how he then tightened the pace at B10s and NCAAs.

It was as if his initial comment was trying to trick Jason into slowing the match.

IMar carried his machismo into the circle with him against Cenzo at the NCAAs and decided he was going to beat Cenzo at his own game. Then he did it again the next year. I still think if he attacked legs more instead of going upper body, he could have been a 4 timer. I am glad he didn't as it gave us some great moments.

I really like Carter. He's a good kid, or should I say young man. This post is a part of his social media persona, so whatever. Not my cup of tea, not for college competition, but hey.

I do wonder how folks would react if more and more superstars in other sports, or others in wrestling started behaving this way.

Reactions: hlstone
I really like Carter. He's a good kid, or should I say young man. This post is a part of his social media persona, so whatever. Not my cup of tea, not for college competition, but hey.

I do wonder how folks would react if more and more superstars in other sports, or others in wrestling started behaving this way.
Carter is a cool kid. I like him too.

If superstars posted stuff that he does in non combat sports, I would chuckle.
When wrestlers post stuff like, I'm going to crush this guy! I will tune in or watch the replay.

Reactions: mcpat and nerfstate
I'm always also a fan of the Nolf-style sportsman--and that's how I'm hoping I'm raising my boys to behave. Not every good parent shares that hope--there are so many different, yet important, things to prioritize in child-rearing. Carter seems to have figured out what works best for him, and from his Flo interviews this summer, that's not by accident wrt his father. I'd be 100% comfortable with all the "Carters" out there (lol, as if!), behaving in this manner. The "Nolfs" (;)) can do the same. That said, I do have a line. From what has been reported, I want the Ferraris of the world to real it in big time.

I don’t wonder so much. In the majority of the sports-watching adult population, fans of other teams will hate it when a guy behaves this way, and fans of that team will either love it or not care. A minority of fans will stop watching/following because they hold sportsmanship above all else.

What concerns me more, however, is that kids will emulate their heroes. Although I think there is some correlation between one’s own personality traits and those of the stars to whom they gravitate, we all know what makes the news and gets the most publicity, thereby having the most exposure with kids…

my biggest problem with his persona is that it’s cringe.

“revenge is like the sweetest joy next to getting pussy” is something a white trash guy who smells like cigarettes and monster says to his buddy outside a circle k in podunk ohio before he goes home and posts “when you cut the grass you see the snakes” on facebook because his cousin stole his headphones.

“revenge is like the sweetest joy next to getting pussy” is something a white trash guy who smells like cigarettes and monster says to his buddy outside a circle k ...
Just classless in my book, but that is just me. I could definitely see AJ Ferrari saying this same thing and getting trashed for it by our collective.

I know one thing, this is not what Cael teaches.

The defenders here can choose to do so. Not me.

“revenge is like the sweetest joy next to getting pussy” is something a white trash guy who smells like cigarettes and monster says to his buddy outside a circle k in podunk ohio before he goes home and posts “when you cut the grass you see the snakes” on facebook because his cousin stole his headphones.
It’s a lyric from Tupac he didn’t make it up..jese let kids be kids for Christs sake

Reactions: psumacw
He wrestles with passion, it seems like he's better when he has a chip on his shoulder.

good lord let it be. Its the culture like it or not it is in every sport and probably going to see more. Just look at football (college or NFL) guy makes a routine play acts like he won the game, series later screws up and looking to blame.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
It's not what we do. I would rather kids learn to be men. When I was his age, I was a supervisor halfway around the world living amongst a foreign culture. It is not asking too much to expect him to display some class.

Sorry, not sorry.
Not what "we" do? Last time I checked Carter was on the roster, not you. Let Cael determine what "we" do and don't do. I'm sure if he has a problem with it, he would have communicated it to Carter.

Reactions: WexfordWarrior
anyone ever notice that some of these really good wrestlers get on their back and dont know what to do?Imar had no idea of what a bridge was, you would think that's the first thing you learn to get off your back!!or to not get pinned and a few others were the same way!

Reactions: mcpat
Some of the stellar posters at the Hawkeye report are tearing Warner down for his losses lately. Not many regulars going to bat for him either.
I think they should man up and go tell Jake face to face how disgusted they are with his 6th year performance.

Some of the stellar posters at the Hawkeye report are tearing Warner down for his losses lately. Not many regulars going to bat for him either.

Thanks.

Although in the match with Foy, he looked not just defeated, but beaten.

I still say the Brands Brothers are running a MASH unit, not a wrestling team.

I wonder if the Iowa room has a sign "the beatings will continue until morale improves".

Reactions: District four
Not what "we" do? Last time I checked Carter was on the roster, not you. Let Cael determine what "we" do and don't do. I'm sure if he has a problem with it, he would have communicated it to Carter.

Too much starch in your panties or are you ragging it? It was a play on Bo's "It's what we do" statement. Lighten up, Saint Annie. Let me communicate to you here - GFY.

I don't know Carter so all I can speak on is what I have seen of him. He is a relentless competitor and he has great drive to achieve his goals. I'm not a fan of letting that competitiveness extend off the mat or even before or after the whistle blows. Treat your competitors with respect in victory and defeat. All of the extracurriculars should be left to MMA. Right now he has coaches, teammates and a university to represent. While citing Tupac isn't a bad idea in general, this quote in particular seems in poor taste. I hope the young man can learn something from this and move past it to focus on more important things in his future.

ADVERTISEMENT