ADVERTISEMENT

All Star Classic - Nov 16, 2024

Wonder why Flo has Alirez 1 and Mendez 2? Didn't Mendez kind of dominate Alirez at Freestyle event
Because if they made a change based on that they would be forced to acknowledge the O'Toole-Haines result in the rankings as well.
Laurence Fishburne Pop GIF by ABC Network

You're not wrong.

When else is a NC one year removed ranked higher than the reigning and on top of that I don't see him beating Mendez anymore. I don't know that Beau can either but I believe that Beau has a better shot.

Levi at 165? Hmmmm ...

141: Beau Bartlett vs. Jesse Mendez (tOSU)
149: Shayne Van Ness vs. Ty Watters (WVU)
157: Tyler Kasak vs. Peyten Kellar (Univ. of Ohio)
165: Levi Haines vs. Rocco Welsh (tOSU)
184: Carter Starocci vs. Parker Keckeisen (UNI)
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet vs. Nick Feldman (tOSU)

Reactions: Creek Side
The Midwest Mafia wishful thinking index is very bullish on Keckheisen in this matchup. I’ve got bad news for them
Speaking of Midwest Mafia:

All-Star Classic full lineup has been announced all day, yet Flo's first 7 articles:
  • Dan Gable talking about various women's wrestling topics
  • Two on Sadaluev - one about the wrestleoff, one about facing off against Taylor
  • Why Iowa has the largest fan base (BTW this is #fake news, PSU has led in away attendance for most of the last 10 years and also with the highest TV ratings)
  • Iowa State Depth Chart
  • Anthony Knox winning WNO 4 times
  • Iowa Wrestling Nearly Invincible (burying the lede that it is women's wrestling they are writing about)
@Chickenman Testa man, you got to give them credit, they are really, really trying.

Levi at 165? Hmmmm ...

141: Beau Bartlett vs. Jesse Mendez (tOSU)
149: Shayne Van Ness vs. Ty Watters (WVU)
157: Tyler Kasak vs. Peyten Kellar (Univ. of Ohio)
165: Levi Haines vs. Rocco Welsh (tOSU)
184: Carter Starocci vs. Parker Keckeisen (UNI)
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet vs. Nick Feldman (tOSU)

Wrong weight listed. Last year's 174 finalist Welsh isn't going 165 either.

Loving this event. Can't wait to see both beef eaters up a weight class or two. I think we take 4 or 5, and the book ends are where I have concern. I am telling you now, don't underestimate Feldman.

Crap, does this mean I have to subscribe to Flo? Damn.

Agree. I think the major in the dual is more indicative of the separation than their NCAA semi. Kerk was in full "Don't eff this up" mode in that match, IMO.
I don't buy that , Feldman didn't really have a typical redshirt due to injury so I think of last year as more of a true freshman and think he progressed well. Will be interesting to see how he does , i think he will show improvement . I think Kerk notches the win t saying that first match is indicative to where they are today I don't buy it. Either way we find out in short order.

I don't buy that , Feldman didn't really have a typical redshirt due to injury so I think of last year as more of a true freshman and think he progressed well. Will be interesting to see how he does , i think he will show improvement . I think Kerk notches the win t saying that first match is indicative to where they are today I don't buy it. Either way we find out in short order.
We will see, for sure. And I don't disagree that Feldman has surely progressed, and he's a gifted athlete. I forgot, but they did face each other at B1Gs and it was 9-3.

Maybe that's more the median. Nick was very quick on his down-block go-behind to open the scoring. I do think the 1-0 was an outlier. I still expect Kerk to light him up at the ASC--though maybe not bonus, dominant. Nick has had absolutely nothing for him on bottom in all 3 outings.

Last edited:
I want to see Feldman vs Keuter.
Things change quickly for Ben after this year, he's ranked 11th, 8 of the 10 above him are gone after this year.
He's pretty special I think.
Kirk type talent.
Undersized at this point, puts on 25 lbs of muscle he's going to be a monster.
His frame can easily handle 40 lbs.

Reactions: amattaro
The issue Feldman had in his losses last year was that he still seemed a little undersized compared to the elite full sized heavies like Kerk. If he's bulked up in the offseason, he will be much more dangerous.

Little doubt Feldman will have improved since last year and gained some mass. Kirk remains an enigma of sorts, in that when he is motivated and aggressive he is clearly the class of the weight. I to think at the end of last year there was still a much bigger gap between he and Feldman that that last match indicated. Nevertheless, the gap will be much less significant this year.

Arguments against: some of Kirk's mistakes late in matches vs Cassi until he clearly separated himself there. More relevant, Kerk had Parris' number clearly, until he didn't. Then he simply wasn't the same guy against him going forward, mentally imo

If we get the best version of Kerk he should win a decision comfortably. If Feldman gets him off stride or gets in his head I think an upset although unlikely is more than doable and should not shock the faithful.

How much bigger do people think Feldman is gonna get? He's about 5-11 and already built like a tank.

That said, same as Snyder. So it's really a matter of Feldman's athletic ability and whatever adjustments he's able to make since March.

Little doubt Feldman will have improved since last year and gained some mass. Kirk remains an enigma of sorts, in that when he is motivated and aggressive he is clearly the class of the weight. I to think at the end of last year there was still a much bigger gap between he and Feldman that that last match indicated. Nevertheless, the gap will be much less significant this year.

Arguments against: some of Kirk's mistakes late in matches vs Cassi until he clearly separated himself there. More relevant, Kerk had Parris' number clearly, until he didn't. Then he simply wasn't the same guy against him going forward, mentally imo

If we get the best version of Kerk he should win a decision comfortably. If Feldman gets him off stride or gets in his head I think an upset although unlikely is more than doable and should not shock the faithful.
Kerk only had Parris’ number when Parris had a neck vertebrae issue.

Injuries matter no matter what his Lordship claims.

Last edited:
How much bigger do people think Feldman is gonna get? He's about 5-11 and already built like a tank.

That said, same as Snyder. So it's really a matter of Feldman's athletic ability and whatever adjustments he's able to make since March.
Agreed and his best attribute is his quickness. Too much size can negate some of his speed. He has to find the happy medium somehow. I’m sure Feldman has improved but Kerk probably has as well. I have a hard time seeing another 1 point match. Their second match seems more like the norm. Kerk wins by a comfortable 5 or 6

Kerk will continue to big brother Feldman. The result never in question, the severity up to Kerk.

Reactions: Ski

To leave after 4 seasons with an individual National Championship provides a great level of satisfaction. Kirk has some reason to come back for “one more” and it’s probably not just NIL$. Best guess is that he’s driven to get his name on the list of two timers. Without doubt Kirk suffered some inconsistencies his first couple of years. Last season he seemed to have ironed that out. With the coaching he receives in our room I think it reasonable that he will be even better this year. 24-25 Kirk > 24-25 Nick.

@Psalm 1 guy you should fly out and attend. We will make sure you have a fun time!
Thanks for the offer! One day I would love to make it out to State College, B1G tournament or NCAA tournament. Even though those NCAA tournament suite prices are outrageous, I might as well bite the bullet and spend some of my IRA money before I am mandated to via RMDs. It would be great to meet some of you in person. I am only 60, so I hopefully still have some time to work on my wrestling-related bucket list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT