ADVERTISEMENT

Am I bad?? Turned off football to watch BBQ by Franklin

Assume the Franklin of Austin, TX BBQ? In all my travels to Austin haven't been there yet, but glowing reports!

Which station in case they show it again.....thanks!
WV pbs #2!! For real. Though most of his stuff is on YouTube. He's a really good teacher and doesn't turn low n slow into Urshsalin mathematics !!

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
I watched it too and that is some senstional barbeque. We disagree on almost everything sports but may just agree on some of the other essential things!

I watched it too and that is some senstional barbeque. We disagree on almost everything sports but may just agree on some of the other essential things!
Actually we agree on many things. Biggest difference is I don't think we need to blow everything up again , let CJF coach It's going to take time no matter how much CJF is paid

Must be a rerun; I saw the show several days ago.
It's a series and he does a great job in the multiple shows. He usually goes to a local BBQ joint here as part of the show. Lots if great info. One show was smokers and how to make one. One was about wood types around the USA and especially here in Texas. One was picking out beef and going to a Texas A&M butcher class. Again, great show wand of course, the best BBQ in the world right here in the central Texas region

If you watch his Youtube videos he'll tell you exactly how he makes his own. Yet nobody can duplicate it. A friend that is known to smoke his own BBQ now and then is convinced that Aaron Franklin has made a deal with the devil, because it really is the best brisket any of us have ever had.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
If you watch his Youtube videos he'll tell you exactly how he makes his own. Yet nobody can duplicate it. A friend that is known to smoke his own BBQ now and then is convinced that Aaron Franklin has made a deal with the devil, because it really is the best brisket any of us have ever had.
I think he does tell the difference he used 'prime' brisket. The rest of us are using choice or select That's I think the difference

I think he does tell the difference he used 'prime' brisket. The rest of us are using choice or select That's I think the difference
I'm sure others have tried that though, and as far as I know Aaron is the only BBQ pitmaster to win a James Beard award (2015 best chef in the Southwest). While it's probably not worth the 4-6 hour wait, I've never had brisket that compares. The wait at his restaurant is all part of the experience, it's like a tailgate party but at the end you stuff your face with delicious meats instead of going to a football game. :)

I'm sure others have tried that though, and as far as I know Aaron is the only BBQ pitmaster to win a James Beard award (2015 best chef in the Southwest). While it's probably not worth the 4-6 hour wait, I've never had brisket that compares. The wait as his restaurant is all part of the experience, it's like a tailgate party but at the end you stuff your face with delicious meats instead of going to a football game. :)
But yet in the show we watched it was a completion cook (Memphis in May ?)
And he was in the middle on everything including brisket. I've never had his do I don't know. But I do like cooking brisket and try to go what he does

As an aside, if any of you are big time BBQ lovers I'd highly suggest making a trip to Austin during the annual Texas Monthly magazine BBQ Fest. It happens each fall and they round up 20-30 of the best BBQ from all across the state for one festival. It's not cheap, about $75, but it's the only time you can get the best of the best all in one place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT