ADVERTISEMENT

An important rule change - Challenges

I'd have no problem with either/both stall call or penalty point for failed challenges.

Also a time limit needs established for these. Either evidence is there or it isn't. I'd allow a little extra time to make sure riding time is right if needed.

I also think a third party needs to do the reviews. Since almost all duals are Friday and Sunday, have a central location for reviews, like hockey.

I have no problem with the never ending quest to get it right, but some changes are needed.

They need to take out the phone thing and keep it in house on the mat. They also need to limit the number of bricks by not giving them back.

I think a lost challenge should result in the opposing wrestler getting choice of top, bottom, or neutral
200w.gif

I'd have no problem with either/both stall call or penalty point for failed challenges.

Also a time limit needs established for these. Either evidence is there or it isn't. I'd allow a little extra time to make sure riding time is right if needed.

I also think a third party needs to do the reviews. Since almost all duals are Friday and Sunday, have a central location for reviews, like hockey.

I have no problem with the never ending quest to get it right, but some changes are needed.
As for the time limit it would be nice.
I was talking to an NCAA basketball official who said most of the challenges that take a long time is because some guy in the production truck can figure out how to get back to the point where the play was challenged.
He said he has waited 5 minutes just to see a video.
SMH.

I like it too, but it doesn't change end of match challenges.
If you're challenging at the end of a match, it's likely because you're behind on points. If you lose the challenge, you lose the match. No need for opposing wrestler to have choice.

Agreed on most of these.

Third party is in use at nationals, and I think also at B10s. It might not be so easy during regular season duals, especially for smaller schools. And I'd expect it to not happen during regular season tourneys except for the biggest of them (Scuffle, CKLV, Midlands, etc.), and even then maybe not for all mats at all times.

Reactions: PAgeologist
If you're challenging at the end of a match, it's likely because you're behind on points. If you lose the challenge, you lose the match. No need for opposing wrestler to have choice.
Which is why it would not prevent someone from throwing a brick because.. YOLO and we are waiting 5 minutes to confirm that the brick thrower is still a loser.

Which is why it would not prevent someone from throwing a brick because.. YOLO and we are waiting 5 minutes to confirm that the brick thrower is still a loser.
Nothing will prevent YOLO bricks at the end of matches, regardless of what the penalty is for lost challenges, because a lost challenge in that situation will mean a lost match and any penalty on top of that is superfluous. Unless you start docking team points for failed challenges, which I think is probably far too steep of a penalty

Nothing will prevent YOLO bricks at the end of matches, regardless of what the penalty is for lost challenges, because a lost challenge in that situation will mean a lost match and any penalty on top of that is superfluous. Unless you start docking team points for failed challenges, which I think is probably far too steep of a penalty
...or maybe not a penalty at all late in the tournament.
I just hated the 22min 133 match with a more challenges/reviews than takedowns.

Reactions: OzarkLion
I could go along with a stall warning AND a penalty point.
Exactly stall warning is only potentially punitive it needs to be a point then this foolishness might stop. I don't like challenges for missed calls either only challenges on made calls. That's what the second ref is for

Reactions: GOLDBANGER
I’m extreme, but I favor tossing review entirely. “Getting it right” is a Platonic Ideal that doesn’t exist in the real world. Meanwhile, perhaps the most important aspect of the sport (pace and conditioning) suffer regularly in pursuit of an unattainable goal. It works in other sports—mostly, but it sucks in wrestling, and frankly, I think coaches and fans are whinier than ever about calls. What are we doing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT