ADVERTISEMENT

Any info on 197 injury?

Rasheed admitted he is under weight in an interview a couple of weeks ago, you can't put on' "good' weight fast when you are near your Max. This year he'll have to live with hitting the scales at 192ish going up against guys who are naturally at least 210+ and cutting. Likewise Cael's March conditioning program will have him slightly challenged to keep what he has. He also admitted he now has an unlimited gas tank, so I like the trade-off. I think he goes again this weekend and it will be another good data point for Cael's decision. He needs to get bonus points I would think as that is what he really brings to the table.

Reactions: tikk10
Tough call...and with only 22/23 days for the staff to figure it out. Hope both stay healthy, and at least have the opportunity.

Cael has said these are among the toughest decisions, and discussions, he has. Little consolation to the guy that will surely be disappointed, but there's a huge chunk of him in the wrestler that goes...iron-sharpening-iron, and all that...it's a fact.

Reactions: nerfstate
Rasheed admitted he is under weight in an interview a couple of weeks ago, you can't put on' "good' weight fast when you are near your Max. This year he'll have to live with hitting the scales at 192ish going up against guys who are naturally at least 210+ and cutting. Likewise Cael's March conditioning program will have him slightly challenged to keep what he has. He also admitted he now has an unlimited gas tank, so I like the trade-off. I think he goes again this weekend and it will be another good data point for Cael's decision. He needs to get bonus points I would think as that is what he really brings to the table.
Best handle ever: GogglesPaizano. I doubt many here get that reference but I appreciate.
latest

Cael's march conditioning program? Do tell more.

Until someone shows me a weigh-in sheet, there's no way I'll believe Rasheed is weighing 5 under.

He was probably 192 a couple weeks after making 165 for the final time.

I assume he meant that he is cutting 5-10 pounds less than other 197s. Probably getting that number from where Cassar was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
I’m not sure if this was already mentioned... I believe it was two years ago that someone had pinned/defeated Jimmy G. In the wrestle-off (Kade Moss?). That was back when Jimmy was really struggling, and was recovering from an injury.
At a pre-match social, someone brought this up, and had asked Cody if a wrestle-off determined who started. Cody explained, in detail, that a wrestle-off was only one of the determining factors they use to decide the starter. So any mumblings from Flo or anyone else about who should start based on a wrestle-off is just blowing smoke to get clicks. Controversy sells, and if there isn’t one, they’ll make one up. Cael has a plan. Cael’s plans work. Trust the plan.

So any mumblings from Flo or anyone else about who should start based on a wrestle-off is just blowing smoke to get clicks.

Actually, FLO's mumblings were that a wrestle-off should not be a factor in our 197 situation.

Actually, FLO's mumblings were that a wrestle-off should not be a factor in our 197 situation.

And to add..they were furious and thought it was stupid to have a wrestle off this late in the season. They went on to say Shak got hurt and this is why you don't wrestleoff late. They basically said Cael had all the info and should know Shak was the guy, no wrestleoff needed to see the results against outside competition and now they got a guy hurt because of it.

Honestly, I was taken aback on how furious they were about this. It was like they know more than Cael which is mindboggling to me.

And to add..they were furious and thought it was stupid to have a wrestle off this late in the season. They went on to say Shak got hurt and this is why you don't wrestleoff late. They basically said Cael had all the info and should know Shak was the guy, no wrestleoff needed to see the results against outside competition and now they got a guy hurt because of it.

Honestly, I was taken aback on how furious they were about this. It was like they know more than Cael which is mindboggling to me.

SMH....Perhaps the talking heads at Flo can step in and right the ship...Lol

SMH....Perhaps the talking heads at Flo can step in and right the ship...Lol

It was very odd to say the least. I would love to see Pyles tell Cael how stupid he was and because of his bad decision making, and now Shak is hurt because of it.:) Wonder how Cael would react?

A. Throat punch him real quick
B. Agree with his assement
C Give him ice cold stare in which Pyles pees his pants

It was very odd to say the least. I would love to see Pyles tell Cael how stupid he was and because of his bad decision making, and now Shak is hurt because of it.:) Wonder how Cael would react?

A. Throat punch him real quick
B. Agree with his assement
C Give him ice cold stare in which Pyles pees his pants

I'm going to go with C. Then he asks him if he has a better plan. :D

Reactions: pish69
Yeah, CP's point was that Cael shouldn't have risked injury to either wrestler by having them wrestle off because the wrestle off couldn't have, at this point in the season, informed his decision. CP usually has some pretty good insight and takes but this was dumb. To your other point, I don't know how strongly he felt about it because every discussion on that show devolves into them yelling at each other like idiot teenagers, no matter the topic's import. I don't know whether it's a bad act or genuine but it makes FRL mostly unbearable. I listen less because I'm a masochist than because they're both informed insiders and they do deliver news.

Reactions: 12bflying
Yeah, CP's point was that Cael shouldn't have risked injury to either wrestler by having them wrestle off because the wrestle off couldn't have, at this point in the season, informed his decision. CP usually has some pretty good insight and takes but this was dumb. To your other point, I don't know how strongly he felt about it because every discussion on that show devolves into them yelling at each other like idiot teenagers, no matter the topic's import. I don't know whether it's a bad act or genuine but it makes FRL mostly unbearable. I listen less because I'm a masochist than because they're both informed insiders and they do deliver news.

I agree that some of the FRL rantings are sophomoric and juvenile. But I do find them generally informative and mostly entertaining. And the segment a couple of weeks ago about Pyles hiding when the grass cutting service shows up at his place was really funny. Apparently the grass guys show up and cut his grass and he has no idea who is paying for it, so he just hides. Funny stuff.

Ok... well that makes even less sense to me. I’m guessing that this is somewhat of a unique situation, and Cael has a plan for every situation. A wrestle-off is part of that plan. The plan resulted in Cassar beating #1. The plan seems to work just fine.

Reactions: Ja1339 and Grass
Everyone on here that has coached, or wrestled or been a relative to a wrestler has participated in wrestle offs. My experience is that you wrestle off throughout the season right up until the post season. Reason being is that with people dropping for the post season, the spots change and the spots need to be earned. Look at what happened to Verk a couple years back.

Dropping for tournaments or the post season, doesnt happen much in college, so wrestle offs happen where there isnt a clear starter. With the challenges of 9.9, strong #2s, just doesnt happen that much, which is why our situation at 197 is really first world problems. We might see more of this in the future, so hold your hats.

that system has worked and does work.

Flip side......CP isnt wrong, by all measures prior to tOSU match, Rasheed had the look of the starter. So I could see the argument of why now?

However, we heard on here back at the start of the season Cutch and Raptor wrestled off. We heard on here that Raptor and Rasheed did not wrestle off due to Rasheeds injury. Maybe flo didnt hear that???? So if that information is accurate, it only seems natural to wrestle them off and have that last bit of data.

The antics of the FRL episode to me are more show than substance. We all "clicked" on it didnt we........and look at that special flo coverage of matches this weekend....just say'n.

It can also be a big advantage in the 3rd if you are not cutting weight. Easier to go hard all 7 minutes than someone that is cutting a bunch of weight. Also, I don't know what weight Shak is walking around at these days, but I'm betting it is more than 192.
I agree with better gas tank if not cutting. I had heard or read, either on this board or maybe an announcer at one of the away matched that Shak was 192 at weigh-in I think the Michigan match.

Flip side......CP isnt wrong, by all measures prior to tOSU match, Rasheed had the look of the starter. So I could see the argument of why now?
I think because Cassar didn't really do enough to lose the starting job he'd earned merely because he didn't pin everyone and Rasheed did. Cassar's loss at the Scuffle was too weird to be a helpful data point, and it robbed everyone of a chance to see Cassar and Rasheed in the finals. Like I said elsewhere, Rasheed appeared to have jumped a level, and if they presumably wrestled off earlier in the year, wrestling them off again now tests that hypothesis with Cassar being your constant.

FRL would be bearable if they dropped CP.

Spey might be able to reign that show in.....but CP makes the show flow for me.

If he rubs the wrong way, he was the same way as an anonymous poster on the interwebs and I guess you could say it earned him the gig at flo.

next up #lemonpiesquirts on mondays and Fridays from 12-1p

I agree that some of the FRL rantings are sophomoric and juvenile. But I do find them generally informative and mostly entertaining. And the segment a couple of weeks ago about Pyles hiding when the grass cutting service shows up at his place was really funny. Apparently the grass guys show up and cut his grass and he has no idea who is paying for it, so he just hides. Funny stuff.
Got that Vodka?

I bet Shak is right about 197 walking around. He might weigh less than 200 lbs. by something like the scuffle final where a guy with a big cut might weigh anywhere from 205-210. I routinely weighed 10 over by evening in college and often landed 12-14 over by that night. I think the size disadvantage is made up for with his improved tank and wing span. He could add another 8-10 lbs. of muscle to that frame and he really would be the second coming of Ed Ruth.

CP seemed over-the-top emotionally involved/invested in the whole 197 discussion. Much more than a journalist should be :).

Reactions: pish69
Just wondering, but is Rasheed's injury history a factor here? I realize that both of them have dealt with injuries, but even with this recent little ding, it just seems like Rasheed gets injured so often. Is there more risk in making him the starter at NCAAs and he injury defaults out in round 1?
Had the same thought. Thus far I’ve agreed with the viewpoint that Cael has no compelling reason to declare a 197 starter before B1G. Then Nolf’s injury reminded me how quickly and devastatingly prospects can change in this sport. So, when I heard that the Shracken was hurt last weekend I couldn’t help but wonder if Cael’s unwillingness to name Rasheed the starter is due in part to his injury history. Who has struggled with injuries more, Cassar or Rasheed?

Re vhsalum "Cael's march conditioning program? Do tell more"

Cael is very big on gaining both strength and endurance through wrestling and on mat time as opposed to lifting a lot of weights or doing a lot of other cardio off the mat.

He has talked about it from time to time on the coaches show and over the next few weeks as we prep for the tourneys we should hear more about his focus on conditioning. In contrast tan Tom loves building his kids up on a lot of weights. Yes tOSU tends to look like a parade of Hurkurocks (another flintstones reference btw), but in the end we see the results. Tom's kids have raw strength and power no doubt, while our kids are universally more athletic, quicker, while still maintainkng 'wrestling' strength. Bo Nickal is s a great example where he is one of the lesser pure physically intimidating guys at a weight class full of strong muscular guys but at the end of the day noone will say Bo isn't really really strong.

The results play out in the tournaments where our guys really pull away in the 3rd period, just watch Zain's championship match last year, while others are gassing our conditioning kicks in and we pull out a lot of victories late or pull away. How many big matches has Mark Hall pulled out in the third? I can't remember the last time seeing one of our guys broken in the third other than Kuhn not yet in the program fully or Shak when he was cutting 20 lbs. Maybe not the best example but Nevills appeared to gas Snyder a bit last week, granted he just came back from Russia. Short of the Lee and Keener matches we pretty much owned the third period head to head vs some really elite wrestlers from tOSU, which I think is a testament to both our talent but Cael's approach to strength and endurance training relative to tOSUs different approach trying to acheive the same objective.

Conditioning is one of the pillars of Cael's philosophy, and he intensifies the focus on conditioning as we move towards March. Tournament wrestling requires the next level of conditioning to maintain a tank late into the third period of you third match of the day.

Someone printed this about him back in his first year at PSU "Sanderson has instigated a new philosophy of endurance training. Instead of focusing on sprints and aerobic workouts, practices are more match-based. Work up endurance in a seven-minute match, master that fitness level, and a wrestler will be ready, "

Cael is very big on gaining both strength and endurance through wrestling and on mat time as opposed to lifting a lot of weights or doing a lot of other cardio off the mat.

He has talked about it from time to time on the coaches show and over the next few weeks as we prep for the tourneys we should hear more about his focus on conditioning. In contrast tan Tom loves building his kids up on a lot of weights. Yes tOSU tends to look like a parade of Hurkurocks (another flintstones reference btw), but in the end we see the results. Tom's kids have raw strength and power no doubt, while our kids are universally more athletic, quicker, while still maintainkng 'wrestling' strength. Bo Nickal is s a great example where he is one of the lesser pure physically intimidating guys at a weight class full of strong muscular guys but at the end of the day noone will say Bo isn't really really strong.

The results play out in the tournaments where our guys really pull away in the 3rd period, just watch Zain's championship match last year, while others are gassing our conditioning kicks in and we pull out a lot of victories late or pull away. How many big matches has Mark Hall pulled out in the third? I can't remember the last time seeing one of our guys broken in the third other than Kuhn not yet in the program fully or Shak when he was cutting 20 lbs. Maybe not the best example but Nevills appeared to gas Snyder a bit last week, granted he just came back from Russia. Short of the Lee and Keener matches we pretty much owned the third period head to head vs some really elite wrestlers from tOSU, which I think is a testament to both our talent but Cael's approach to strength and endurance training relative to tOSUs different approach trying to acheive the same objective.

Conditioning is one of the pillars of Cael's philosophy, and he intensifies the focus on conditioning as we move towards March. Tournament wrestling requires the next level of conditioning to maintain a tank late into the third period of you third match of the day.

Someone printed this about him back in his first year at PSU "Sanderson has instigated a new philosophy of endurance training. Instead of focusing on sprints and aerobic workouts, practices are more match-based. Work up endurance in a seven-minute match, master that fitness level, and a wrestler will be ready, "
I would only add that Ryan and John Smith's teams both seem to have more pronounced endurance issues before the post season, and they decrease markedly in March. It seems they both are aiming for endurance to peak at the right time, and they are by most measures quite successful at it. I don't expect to see tOSU gassing like they did Saturday in March--at least not across the board like that. The standard for peaking in March remains here in happy valley though, no doubt.

What is Cassar's eligibility situation? On Diceman's spreadsheet, he's listed as a junior but this is his first real season of competition due to injury. Will he qualify for a medical redshirt therefore putting him in the same eligibility status as Rasheed? If Rasheed is weighing in at 192, I have to believe that's his walking around weight. If that's the case, it stands to reason that he could drop to 184 when Bo graduates for his final year of eligibility if Cassar gets a MR and remains at 197. Lots of variables and it wouldn't address the problem for next year given Bo, Rasheed, and Cassar all return. Good problem to have, but tough for Cael to navigate.

... Apparently the grass guys show up and cut [CP’s] grass and he has no idea who is paying for it, so he just hides. Funny stuff ...
Sounds like Willie is using the slush fund for sophomoric pranks. :) #priceofdoingbusiness

I like the Flo boys, but having Cassar and Shak wrestle off is the only fair thing to do. Imagine telling Cassar that he lost the spot when the ref waived off the takedown vs Holshlag, or telling Shak that pinning his way thru the Scuffle wasn't enough, and the spot was still Cassar's. They've both earned the spot. Simply picking one wrongs the other. It's not perfect, but you have to let them settle it on the mat. just my dumb opinion.

I like the Flo boys, but having Cassar and Shak wrestle off is the only fair thing to do. Imagine telling Cassar that he lost the spot when the ref waived off the takedown vs Holshlag, or telling Shak that pinning his way thru the Scuffle wasn't enough, and the spot was still Cassar's. They've both earned the spot. Simply picking one wrongs the other. It's not perfect, but you have to let them settle it on the mat. just my dumb opinion.
Agree. Both Shak and Cassar deserve a chance to obtain the starting spot, based upon what they have done this season the only fair way to do it is through the good ole wrestle off. Cael does not need to name a starter until the B1G tournament, no point in doing so especially with the injury history they both have had in the past.

Good post. A few months ago we heard Tom Ryan talking about how BoJo added 75 pounds to his deadlift. To be honest, I am not sure how that made BoJo a better wrestler. The guy was already freaky strong in a weight room compared to most of the guys he wrestled. His issue is getting off the bottom against top guys such as Hall and Zahid. How a making a freaky guy strong guy stronger helps solve the problem of getting off the bottom I have no idea.

Take a look at Saquon Barkley, guy is freaky strong, benches 225 for 30 reps, cleans 405, squats over 500 pounds for multiple reps. What most people do not know is that the PSU S&C staff basically said Barkley is already strong enough, and started focusing on other areas.

At some point, strength is no longer your issue.

Agree. Both Shak and Cassar deserve a chance to obtain the starting spot, based upon what they have done this season the only fair way to do it is through the good ole wrestle off. Cael does not need to name a starter until the B1G tournament, no point in doing so especially with the injury history they both have had in the past.
As has been said sooooo many times here, wrestle offs happen at every level even late in the season....and they are indicators for coaches...not decision makers.

What is Cassar's eligibility situation? On Diceman's spreadsheet, he's listed as a junior but this is his first real season of competition due to injury. Will he qualify for a medical redshirt therefore putting him in the same eligibility status as Rasheed? If Rasheed is weighing in at 192, I have to believe that's his walking around weight. If that's the case, it stands to reason that he could drop to 184 when Bo graduates for his final year of eligibility if Cassar gets a MR and remains at 197. Lots of variables and it wouldn't address the problem for next year given Bo, Rasheed, and Cassar all return. Good problem to have, but tough for Cael to navigate.
Rasheed is officially a Junior. The coaches can't request a waiver of the Five Year Rule until after a student-athlete's 5 years are up. They are very confident he'll get a 6th year if requested.

Best handle ever: GogglesPaizano. I doubt many here get that reference but I appreciate.
latest
Call my wife that all the time, the rest is unsaid. I'm from the Flintstone generation along with Buggs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Road Runner, Daffy Duck, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT