ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody been to Columbus for a game?

Patterson825

Jan 28, 2016
Anybody been to Columbus/The Shoe for a Penn State/Ohio State game? Was thinking about buying tickets for the game for me and a couple relatives. Haven't heard great things about their fans. Any opinions how you get treated and is it fun for tailgating?

Been there 6 or 7 times. You'll be fine, every base has its jackwads, but nothing too out of the ordinary there as of late. Tailgating is all over the place there, except next to the stadium. Seems empty a lot of the times we are there. Reserved spots for people who don't go to the game. The psu alumni tailgate is like a 20 minute walk from the stadium, unless they've moved it. We park at the hospital for like $10. The tickets they give to away teams are terrible. You want to sit in the U of the stadium, not in the endzone part. Beware the snipers on top of the stadium. A nice "feature"

Anybody been to Columbus/The Shoe for a Penn State/Ohio State game? Was thinking about buying tickets for the game for me and a couple relatives. Haven't heard great things about their fans. Any opinions how you get treated and is it fun for tailgating?
Sadly yes, twice. Both times the weather was bad, the seats were bad, and the result was bad. I had no problem with their fans, but then I was not a walking Penn State billboard either. In both cases I drove to Columbus and then back to Pittsburgh the same day, so I did not tailgate and spent limited time in the area.

Yes was there for the great 2008 game. Fans actually were pretty respectful. Didnt do any tailgating- so that could be a different story altogether.
I have attended several OSU games in Columbus. They are consistently one of the worst fans in college football.

Been there a few times. Fun trip. Fans were fine-to-tolerable. Lots of good-natured stuff, nothing too bad in our experiences. Some fans give out buckeyes to the visiting fans, so that was a nice gesture. Of course those nuts didn't stay with us for long, but still....

There are a lot of bars and tailgating type of activities just a block from the stadium along the one street. That was fun. There are always plenty of PSU fans, so you can always find a few kindred souls.

And however I feel about Ohio State, I am a huge fan of college football in general, and its history, so I do enjoy the whole Script Ohio deal.

Worth the trip at least once to experience it for yourself.

It is one of the easier trips to make. Plenty of hotel space typically. Tickets are easy to come by, but you need to check the sections.

The PSU section when I was there one year was pretty bad because the OSU fans above decided it was ok to taunt and throw things.

Better to mix in with the broader crowd.

One of the worst fanbases, but that's because of their worst fans. Plenty of great OSU fans.

LdN

Reactions: RochLion
Was there for the '06 game -- the one where Joe made a quick exit to deal with a stomach bug issue, & Justin King claimed eventual Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith's first interception of the season. I'd echo most of the above sentiments. Good natured ribbing aside, they tolerated my (obvious) Penn State presence just fine.

Tailgating there is very much a different animal though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
Every stadium is the same. You will run into the same groups of people in any environment of 100k+. Some will be friendly and some will give you a hard time.

Reactions: Bob78
I was there in 2015. Some Tosu athletic supporters threw vomit-filled balloons at a bunch of Penn Staters nearby. True story.

Reactions: MtNittany
Had a friend, Univ. of Texas alum, attend a UT/OSU game in Columbus. He said of all the visits he made to oppositions stadiums the OSU fan were far and away the most obnoxious ones ever. He, his wife, his 12 y.o. son and three other rather large men pushed through the masses of vulgar, drunken OSU fans and heard the most disgusting verbiage he has witnessed in his life. This was a big game and he might have entered the stadium in the worst logistical way but that is not excuse for the behavior he witnessed.

Yes, and I had a great time. Their fans were a non-issue. They didn't go out of their way to be overly welcoming like Nebraska fans are known for, but I feared there might be some issues based on what I've read on this board over the years. I only had one minor problem and that was with a very drunk female in a bar after the game, but her boyfriend literally dragged her away and apologized profusely. Their stadium is a classic one, it's definitely worth a visit.

Yes was there for the great 2008 game. Fans actually were pretty respectful. Didnt do any tailgating- so that could be a different story altogether.
Was there for that game also and tailgated. Some fans, leaving the game, gave a few nudges (minor and laughable) exiting the stadium. Once outside, a few "Good game" and "Beat Iowa" comments. Not bad there, but many alcohol fueled fans...keep your head on a swivel.

Their stadium is beautiful, but it's towards the bottom as far as big ten experiences go, but still better than Iowa.

I know most won't want to hear this, but have been to Columbus and Ann Arbor several times each. Michigan fans are miles ahead in class. Just my experience, for what that's worth.

Lived in a Columbus suburb for 18 years so I have been to several games there over the years. Experience has been slightly below average to terrible depending upon where I have sat in the stadium and who I have come in contact with Buckeye fan wise. Was sucker punched in the back of the head by a drunk OSU fan one time walking out of the stadium and minding my own business and then berated by him the whole way out of the stadium. That was the worst experience I ever had at a football game at any level.

So just be careful and be aware of your surroundings. I would recommend keeping a low profile and you will probably be okay.

Sadly yes, twice. Both times the weather was bad, the seats were bad, and the result was bad. I had no problem with their fans, but then I was not a walking Penn State billboard either. In both cases I drove to Columbus and then back to Pittsburgh the same day, so I did not tailgate and spent limited time in the area.
Exactly. One year was the Adam Taliaferro injury. First play after he gets carted odd off Cooper comes out throwing the ball in a game that was already decided. Next year it was rain and snow in Columbus. Both yearsit was stadium construction--meaning getting to the end zone seats via scaffolding. Just an awful experience.

Reactions: fairgambit
As a local, its ok. Columbus people are great except for a few hours on certain Saturdays. Should have no problems, but as said above, keep a low profile.

Exactly. One year was the Adam Taliaferro injury. First play after he gets carted odd off Cooper comes out throwing the ball in a game that was already decided. Next year it was rain and snow in Columbus. Both yearsit was stadium construction--meaning getting to the end zone seats via scaffolding. Just an awful experience.
Actually, that wasn't "stadium construction" back in the day. That's how they did the South stands before building permanent ones. That's because they had a track around the field that was used during track season, and the temporary stands stood over one end of the track. Then tOSU built a new, smaller stadium for track and field, soccer, and lacrosse named after Jesse Owens and then renovated Ohio Stadium and took out the track and made the seats closer to the field. Beaver Stadium once had a track too. That was lost in the first major expansion in 1978-1979.

My wife still refuses to go to Ohio Stadium since her experience in 1993. Lots of taunting, etc. [that refusal did not extend to going to Columbus Crew games in the same stadium, however]. I, on the other hand, have been a lot. There's some idjots, of course. Best advice is to just stay away from the drunks and keep it low key.

Was there in 2011 for the PSU win and did not have a bad experience. Although that OSU team was not a title contender. With the stakes likely being pretty high, I would expect the crowd inside and outside the stadium to be much less welcoming this time around. However, this game fits best into my schedule and will be the one I'm going to.

I am sure most of the fans would be pleasant, but I am not sure I would ever take my wife to a game there. Just this past year at the whiteout game, the heckling and bad mouthing from the few OSU fans there was rather ridiculous. We had 2 friends with us who were OSU fans, and the other 8 of us were PSU. The 2 OSU friends with us had to actually tell a few OSU fans to "Shut the F up, get out of here". Very rude. Alcohol was part of the problem, but I can see how quickly it could turn from verbal to physical, Like Big O mentioned.

Side note: a group of OSU fans (in their 50's-60's) sat 2 rows in front of us. They were very nice people and very pleasant to be around. They were knowledgeable and we talked for about an hour before kickoff. Interesting that they were the first people out of the section at the end of the game though ;)

I know most won't want to hear this, but have been to Columbus and Ann Arbor several times each. Michigan fans are miles ahead in class. Just my experience, for what that's worth.

I actually had the opposite experience. I've been to Columbus for PSU games twice and never had any problems. I've been to Ann Arbor for PSU games 4 times (maybe five) and had a couple of issues, the worst of which was a fraternity brother who was on his front lawn with a hose attempting to spray anyone is PSU garb (it was a cool fall day, so this was not a welcomed thing). When I was there last year, there was a guy in my section who during pre-game was encouraging people in the section to turn their backs on PSU when the entered the field (because he needed so show everyone how much he hates child abuse). I told him he was ignorant and it wasn't a good look for a "Michigan Man" and he shut up.

Here's the thing. 90% will be just fine, then, someone will spit at you. That's pretty much Columbus in a nutshell. City atmosphere. NOT a college atmosphere like Ann Arbor, Madison, State College. City trip with an NFL fan base.

I've been once. No issues at all. I found the tailgating environment to be pretty underwhelming.

I've been once. No issues at all. I found the tailgating environment to be pretty underwhelming.
Partly due to an earlier President (of the University) who worked on getting alcohol cut back in the lots. Though she was hated for it, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Never been but would like to due to history of the Shoe. If I did then I would wear a bomb suit similar to below but painted in blue with Nittany Lion logo so as to make a point on Ahia State fans. Their reputation precedes them and they need to come to grips with it.
the-hurt-locker.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT