ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone grow up in or now live in a really small town?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
i was up in Bradford county this weekend turkey hunting and drove through so many tiny little towns. Thinking about the thread about the best penn State football player from your town. I was wondering who grew up or currently live in a small or really tiny town. Feel free to share your town name and population even if it’s Philly or Pittsburgh, but I think it will be more interesting to hear about the smaller towns.

I’ll go: Hummelstown PA (grew up) population as of 2016 is 4609

i was up in Bradford county this weekend turkey hunting and drove through so many tiny little towns. Thinking about the thread about the best penn State football player from your town. I was wondering who grew up or currently live in a small or really tiny town. Feel free to share your town name and population even if it’s Philly or Pittsburgh, but I think it will be more interesting to hear about the smaller towns.

I lived all my life in Adamstown, Pa. up till 6 yeats ago the population was around 1200, has grown to about 1800. Back in the 50’s I was a paper boy and knew who lived in every house

I was raised in Frackville PA. When I was a kid population was over 6000. Main street had furniture stores, dress shops, mens stores, hardware, shoes, the works. Then the mall came. Downtown went to crap. Now ,they're tearing down the mall to make a freight depot. Damn fricken shame. Population closer to 4300 now.

My wife grew up in Mt. Grove. She tells me there were 12 families there in the 60's. Today there might be around 300 people. Mt. Grove is SW of Hazleton.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Grew up in Monaca, PA. Population used to be 7,000 - 8,000.

Wasn't that the town where many of the kids were from on the TWA flight that exploded over the Atlantic Ocean? My condolences.
Dave, Yes it was - grew up with some of the teachers and parents of the kids. My daughters went to school with them and lost a few friends in the accident.

Reactions: step.eng69
Grew up in Oakmont (Allegheny Cty.)

Population 7,000 back in the 1950's and 1960's -- roughly 6500 now
Good quality of live then, and also now as a far as I can tell

It's been interesting to see a grand-daughter grow up in a REALLY small town -- Hobson, Montana, population listed at 218
There are 8 kids total in her 10th grade
She does like outdoor activities like horse riding and hiking, but I hope she has experience in other towns and cities before she decides on where to live as an adult

Grew up in Harwick aprox 12 miles north east of the city of Pittsburgh. Small coal mining town with not 1 red light in the town. Population aprox 600.

Grew up in Dayville in NE Connecticut, a village in the town of Killingly. In 2010, Dayville had a population of 7,229 and Killingly 17,370. Dayville grew 25.5% btw 2000 and 2010. Only pro athlete I'm aware of from the area was Walt Dropo, who was a product of the nearby village of Moosup. Dropo had a 13-yr MLB career, including named AL RoY in 1950 while with the Bosox. My eyes were opened to the world during my 4 yrs at State.

This is one of those posts where Russian hackers try to figure out passwords right? I have noticed more and more of these started recently.

For the Record... Small Town, USA. Population 1500

Dave, Yes it was - grew up with some of the teachers and parents of the kids. My daughters went to school with them and lost a few friends in the accident.
Same - for me, I was a few years younger but had 2 siblings in the HS and were family friends with some involved (Nibert and Gallagher, to name a few). One lost their best friend in that accident - I'll never forget that night.

BTW, there is a fiction book written about TWA Flight 800 -- Night Fall by Nelson Demille. Very good read, minus the final 5 pages.

I grew up in Halifax, Pa. The population was under 1000 when I was there. I think it has actually grown a bit, not sure of where it is now.

Born in Montpelier, OH which in the 50's and 60's was hopping. Nearly 6,000 as the railroad was at the cross-section of Chicago/NY and Detroit. Then turnpike went in 4 miles north and people stopped using US 20. Railroad starting to deteriorate. Now under 4,000.
Moved at age 8 to current town of Archbold, OH. In 1970 population around 3,000. Now around 4,500. Home of Sauder Furniture.
(Piggybacking other thread - Andy Petersen played at Army and IIRC was MVP of Army/Navy game @ 1985).

OL

Born in Montpelier, OH which in the 50's and 60's was hopping. Nearly 6,000 as the railroad was at the cross-section of Chicago/NY and Detroit. Then turnpike went in 4 miles north and people stopped using US 20. Railroad starting to deteriorate. Now under 4,000.
Moved at age 8 to current town of Archbold, OH. In 1970 population around 3,000. Now around 4,500. Home of Sauder Furniture.
(Piggybacking other thread - Andy Petersen played at Army and IIRC was MVP of Army/Navy game @ 1985).

OL
I lived in Maumee, OH from '86 - '91, and did sales, so I drove all over Northwestern Ohio, so I know those towns.

Reactions: hemo and OhioLion
Grew up in Oakmont (Allegheny Cty.)

Population 7,000 back in the 1950's and 1960's -- roughly 6500 now
Good quality of live then, and also now as a far as I can tell

It's been interesting to see a grand-daughter grow up in a REALLY small town -- Hobson, Montana, population listed at 218
There are 8 kids total in her 10th grade
She does like outdoor activities like horse riding and hiking, but I hope she has experience in other towns and cities before she decides on where to live as an adult
Luv going to the U.S Open. I worked as a marshall during the tournament in 2016. I plan to do so again in 2025.

Bradford County! That’s my old stomping ground. I’m guessing you rolled through my hometown of Monroeton. Of course if you blinked you probably missed it!

my hometown in VA was like 5000 people...very small. we were about 35 mins from the closest interstate.

Grew up in Bridgeport, WV pop. 6000-something in the 80's, now 8300. Need to get away from small town life drove me to large college (PSU) and big cities since graduation (DC, Houston, Denver). My hometown continues to grow, but feels smaller to me every time I go back.

Reactions: We Are . . .
I grew up in Scottdale Pa. Hometown of Russ Grimm and Dave Trout. Both were a couple years older than me.

Wow Ranger Dan. I went to Lower Dauphin and Hummelstown was a lot smaller in the early '60s. I lived outside Middletown back then.

Currently live outside of Jonestown. It was about 1000 when we moved here, now about 2000.

I now live in Flippin, AR, population 1200, we have 2 stop lights and is home to Ranger and Vexus Boats. Small town lots of bartering for services.

I’ve been to Flippen when we were researching locations for a new feed mill for Butterball. Settled on a site just west of Yellville and we’re in the middle of the site excavation. Lots of dolomite rock down there!

Grew up in Monaca, PA. Population used to be 7,000 - 8,000.
Whatever the population in Monaca may be today (versus your figure for sometime in the past) this 6 BILLION DOLLAR cracker plant alongside the Ohio river should provide a shot in the arm for the town of Monaca. In fact, it is likely to be the catalyst for a minor industrial renaissance in the region.

ShellPetroChemPenn.jpg

Reactions: step.eng69
I’ve been to Flippen when we were researching locations for a new feed mill for Butterball. Settled on a site just west of Yellville and we’re in the middle of the site excavation. Lots of dolomite rock down there!
or earthwork project ti

Major earthwork project, We have 4 acres of land a cup of dirt. This part of Arkansas is one big rock pile.

This is one of those posts where Russian hackers try to figure out passwords right? I have noticed more and more of these started recently.

For the Record... Small Town, USA. Population 1500
As you list your town, also list your Mother's maiden name, your best childhood friends name, your first pet, and the town you were born in. :)

We lived in the middle of nowhere in the Lehigh Valley. Grandparents owned 17 acres, and he carved off 1/4 acre for each of the kids when they got married and they all chipped in and built a 3/1/1 house for them as their wedding present. No mortgage for any of them. When they needed more money, he would build additional houses and sell them. The horseshoe road was named after them. Now it is in the middle of suburbia. All my relatives within a 17 acre section of land (my mothers relatives even bought houses there, so I literally had all of them around all the time). After I graduated college, I moved straight to Texas.

Now, I need to change my passwords and my farms gate lock combos (still are my phone number from growing up there as a kid):(

Bradford County! That’s my old stomping ground. I’m guessing you rolled through my hometown of Monroeton. Of course if you blinked you probably missed it!
I was hunting in New Albany. I have been through Monroeton though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT