ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone grow up in or now live in a really small town?

All these guys from Muncy? Which of you is 'Judy from Muncy'?

I grew up just across the state line from WV in Wash Co. Every town there is small save for Canonsburg now. Greene county has some tiny towns too, Bobtown, Crucible, Ninevah. Mine was West Middletown, population is less than 200 for sure, probably under 100 now.
BISON thanks for mentioning Bobtown,great place to grow up.

Reactions: bison13
82 What about you?
I still love getting back home and going to Zerns with my kids or teeing it up at Twin Ponds.

A bit younger than you. Graduated in 2004. Can’t say I’ve ever been to Zerns but have hacked it up quite a bit at Twin Ponds.

I lived all my life in Adamstown, Pa. up till 6 yeats ago the population was around 1200, has grown to about 1800. Back in the 50’s I was a paper boy and knew who lived in every house
We used to make 2-3 trips a year out there from Indiana for Renningers and Shups Grove , probably been 20 or so since Ive been there

Rochester........PA. A shout out to all the other Beaver County posters.

A bit younger than you. Graduated in 2004. Can’t say I’ve ever been to Zerns but have hacked it up quite a bit at Twin Ponds.

Zern's is not what Zern's used to be 10-15 years ago. Long time vendors are leaving in droves. Its really a shame......live near there now and we don't even go anymore.

As for Twin Ponds, its not hard to put up some big numbers there if you aren't careful on the greens. Those babies are FAST! Like the course though.

My mom was Carey Koontz.

Other sisters included Connie, Carol, Joe, Crissie, and Candy.

The house still exists with the moose head on it.

Ken Huntsman was a fairly famous alum as well. He donated a lot for our football field at Northern Bedford. He was also an early 70s guy I believe. Ended up as a co founder of AOL.
One of my best friends and classmates was Don Huntsman and Fred Glasgow was a neighbor I grew up with, went to church with, played little league with, etc. as he was the closest thing to a child my age bracket in miles.

My oldest brother has the house with the moose on it, just lost his wife in Jan. and the moose head no longer is there, came down with the chimney last year in a renovation. The farm has been in my family since 1840's when the limestone house in the dip was built. Lots of history in the family.

When I was in school the football field was a weed patch, never improved and the track was shale which tore up your knees. We never had a home football game or track meet during my tenure. All away meets and football at the Roaring Spring Field.

I can't dredge up memory of Koontz's right now, I'd have to review yearbooks to refresh my memory. I just did a bit of research and your mother, aunts and uncle were all around at my time there although most were younger, apparently you mother was a year younger, you pup.

Didn't grow up in a town but the closest town from where I lived was Spruce Creek, population of about 260, 3 miles away.

Small town in Huntingdon county, about 45 minutes from SC. Probably around 300 population or so.

Betting Phil's Rug doesn't live too far away, I'd take a guess that it's within the same school district.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
How is Nemacolin looking? Played there back in the '70's and lived just a few miles from there on "old 40" near Paci's restaurant.
The course is in great shape. They modified their irrigation system a few years back moving the sprinklers out of the center of the fairways and placing them on each side of the fairway. This provided irrigation to the rough and it doesn’t get burned out if there is a dry summer. Although the membership was divided over the move, it has proven to be a wise decision.

It is a classic old course designed by Emil Loeffler who designed a lot of CC’s in the region and was head pro (and greens keeper) at Oakmont. Some credit him with co-designing Oakmont but he didn’t receive credit because of his blue collar pedigree. Here is a link to his bio: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Loeffler

Haa! Agree. The difference between those NW PA towns and my town is, they were all big enough to have their own high schools, sometimes more than one.

My town was so small they built a HS between it and other towns. The usual name formula was something like "Kane Area High School." Ours was "Northern Area High School." We were named after a direction.

Those towns weren't the big city to me, but they were 5 times the size of my town.
You actually used the wrong adjective to describe them. I lived in Emporium (pop 3500) for 20 years so I am very familiar with those towns. There is nothing about them that "big" pertains to them. The reason they had their own schools was that they were that "remote."

Punxsutawney, Pa .... home of the Groundhog ...population of about 4,000 or so ....aging population, schools closing, few jobs, excessive drug use , etc. Hopefully it changes for the better but I don’t see it ...
Yea me too, although I actually grew up in farm country a mile from Trade City(pop 50 or so). I've retired and moved back to Punxy. One of the places I lived while working was Emporium(pop 3500 or less).

One of my best friends and classmates was Don Huntsman and Fred Glasgow was a neighbor I grew up with, went to church with, played little league with, etc. as he was the closest thing to a child my age bracket in miles.

My oldest brother has the house with the moose on it, just lost his wife in Jan. and the moose head no longer is there, came down with the chimney last year in a renovation. The farm has been in my family since 1840's when the limestone house in the dip was built. Lots of history in the family.

When I was in school the football field was a weed patch, never improved and the track was shale which tore up your knees. We never had a home football game or track meet during my tenure. All away meets and football at the Roaring Spring Field.

I can't dredge up memory of Koontz's right now, I'd have to review yearbooks to refresh my memory. I just did a bit of research and your mother, aunts and uncle were all around at my time there although most were younger, apparently you mother was a year younger, you pup.

I believe I taught some of your relatives then! Zane and Sydney.

I saw a house in that vacinity with the moose on the front porch now. Maybe that’s not the same house.

i was up in Bradford county this weekend turkey hunting and drove through so many tiny little towns. Thinking about the thread about the best penn State football player from your town. I was wondering who grew up or currently live in a small or really tiny town. Feel free to share your town name and population even if it’s Philly or Pittsburgh, but I think it will be more interesting to hear about the smaller towns.

I’ll go: Hummelstown PA (grew up) population as of 2016 is 4609

I live in Bradford County, in Warren Center. Population is roughly 500. Where were you hunting?

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I live in Bradford County, in Warren Center. Population is roughly 500. Where were you hunting?
My father in law has a place in New Albany (south Wyalusing) I’ve hunted the game lands near warren center... right on the N.Y. border I believe

My father in law has a place in New Albany (south Wyalusing) I’ve hunted the game lands near warren center... right on the N.Y. border I believe

I'm familiar with New Albany. Those game lands you mention are literally right up the road from my place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT