ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone grow up in or now live in a really small town?

I grew up in Roaring Spring, Pa. About 10 miles SW of Altoona, in Blair County, near the Bedford County border. Population 1900 when I lived there.

The wife is from Clearfield, Pa. We met in State College and now live between Harrisburg and York.
I grew up 10 miles south of your town in a rural address (dairy farm) of New Enterprise but just three miles south of Baker Summit along the mountain. Used to roam the ridge and mountain all the time, most pleasant memories of my youth. Same high school as Joe Nastasi, Northern Bedford.

Lived in Punxsutawney, Clearfield, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Nottingham (Oxford area) and now Shreve, OH (1+ hour SW of Akron) in a rural area where we see horse and buggy's daily, just like Nottingham and my home. I can live in small and large towns but prefer rural areas. There are generally quiet, if you hear a siren it's a very big deal and it's not light polluted to the level of a town so you can still see the stars (more of them that is).

Grew up in Natrona, PA, and it's so small I've never seen a population figure for it. The town never had a stop light and on both ends of town are Allegheny Ludlum steel mills.

There used to seemingly be a church on every street and the only thing that outnumbered the churches in town were bars.

Grew up in the village of Ransom, about halfway between Scranton and Wilkes Barre. Population was no more than a couple hundred and still is. One stop sign, a PO and lots of cows.

speaking of small towns and Beaver Co., what became of Midland High School?
I assume they consolidated with someone?
Their championship basketball team in the 1960's was amazing
I believe Midland is now Western Beaver, though it’s also small enough that it might have been consolidated with another district (Beaver?) as well.

Side note, my grandparents owned a restaurant in Midland back in the 70’s...spent a lot of time there as a little kid “helping” them out (I’m sure I was more a nuisance than helpful).

Reactions: royboy
I think we played NW in football at Southern. Used to be Neskapeck sp.?
You probably did play NW , never called Neskapeck, but we've played Southern a bunch over the years. With very little success I might add. Football was never really our thing. Basketball in the early 80's , in the Eddy Guieski (sp.) Hayday was good, but football has always been terrible.

My wife is from Pittsburgh and my children were born and raised in Hawaii. We don't get back much but it's comical when we do.

You probably did play NW , never called Neskapeck, but we've played Southern a bunch over the years. With very little success I might add. Football was never really our thing. Basketball in the early 80's , in the Eddy Guieski (sp.) Hayday was good, but football has always been terrible.
I remember Eddie. Lost to them in districts (pretty badly) once. Wasn't it called NW/Shickshinny at one point?

My wife is from Pittsburgh and my children were born and raised in Hawaii. We don't get back much but it's comical when we do.
Met Coach Ed back in the 70s as I went along with my friend who was the hs basketball coach to a clinic. He was indeed a legend and I recall the conversation as to how he targeted kids early and worked with them in a small school setting.

I think I know enough of the story. If anybody knows better, please straighten me out.

MIdland HS no longer exists.

Once upon a time, there was Midland HS, Beaver HS & South Side Beaver HS.

Guessing sometime it the 70s, Western Beaver HS was established and it was located between Midland and Beaver.

When Crucible Steel scaled back its operations at Midland, the Midland school district found themselves in a pickle. They decided to close their HS and send the kids to a neighboring school district. The prioblem was the closest school (Western Beaver) didn't want them.

For a number of years, Midland high schoolers were transported to Beaver. That arrangement collapsed and now the high school kids are transported to East Liiverpool, OH.

The old Midland High School (known as Lincoln High School) is currently used as a charter school known as Lincoln Park. I believe it emphasizes performing arts and basketball.

Born and raised in Wilkes Barre population 42,000
Lived in San Diego for 10 years pop. 1,400,000
Now I'm settled in Millville PA. pop. 920

Grew up in Millville, PA......population was over a 1000 when I left many years ago. Parents and other family still live there. Millville, in my eyes, is exactly what I think of when someone says small town PA. Some of the other towns, like Adamstown (mentioned by another poster) are small towns but are so close to other major population areas that you have a ton to do, etc. For example, Adamstown is only 10-15 miles from both Reading and Lancaster. Millville is in the middle of nowhere. Twenty minute drive to the metropolis of Bloomsburg. Remember having to go to Bloom to get groceries as a kid. Miss Millville as it is a great place to grow up!

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
I think I know enough of the story. If anybody knows better, please straighten me out.

MIdland HS no longer exists....

Thanks for the update and sorry to see a town and school just wither away....

The basketball team was memorable, as this link notes. But, checking around, the coach Hank Kuzma is gone, and so also is the star player, Simmie Hill.

http://www.timesonline.com/article/20150626/Lifestyle/306269952

-*- 1965 WPIAL/PIAA state championship basketball team. The Leopards are considered by many the greatest team ever to win WPIAL and PIAA gold. Under head coach Hank Kuzma and assistant Ed Olkowski, the Leopards finished the 1965 campaign a perfect 28-0 and crushed Steelton-Highspire 90-61 in the state championship game at the Harrisburg Farm Show Arena. The team was led by Simmie Hill, Norm Van Lier and Ron Brown, with Brent Lake and Steve Alston rounding out the starting five.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Grew up in Oakmont (Allegheny Cty.)

Population 7,000 back in the 1950's and 1960's -- roughly 6500 now
Good quality of live then, and also now as a far as I can tell

Hmmm....right on the other side of Coxcomb Hill...

It's been interesting to see a grand-daughter grow up in a REALLY small town -- Hobson, Montana, population listed at 218
There are 8 kids total in her 10th grade
She does like outdoor activities like horse riding and hiking, but I hope she has experience in other towns and cities before she decides on where to live as an adult

Grew up in Millville, PA......population was over a 1000 when I left many years ago. Parents and other family still live there. Millville, in my eyes, is exactly what I think of when someone says small town PA. Some of the other towns, like Adamstown (mentioned by another poster) are small towns but are so close to other major population areas that you have a ton to do, etc. For example, Adamstown is only 10-15 miles from both Reading and Lancaster. Millville is in the middle of nowhere. Twenty minute drive to the metropolis of Bloomsburg. Remember having to go to Bloom to get groceries as a kid. Miss Millville as it is a great place to grow up!
But you get the Millville Carnival and Fireworks once a year!

Sheesh. A trip to Williamsport must've been like going to NYC.

Last edited:
Grew up in Natrona, PA, and it's so small I've never seen a population figure for it. The town never had a stop light and on both ends of town are Allegheny Ludlum steel mills.

There used to seemingly be a church on every street and the only thing that outnumbered the churches in town were bars.

You could have gone to beautiful downtown Tarentum for excitement.

Reactions: john4psu

But what about the sprawling metropolis otherwise known as Benton?

I thought I moved to a semi-small town in FL 30 years ago. It's since more than tripled in population - from less than 20K to 65K. Must be the damn beach.

Beware of the local residents of Benton; some can inflict pain

12704257.jpeg

If you moved the "cities" of Charleston, WV, and Huntington, WV, together, and combined their population so as to make one "metropolis," the resulting "urban area" would be slightly smaller than...............Erie, PA.

Anyone who says they grew up in WV but does not know about small towns is a liar or a bubble boy.

Beware of the local residents of Benton; some can inflict pain

12704257.jpeg
Pain? Had my first varsity at bat as a soph. vs. Benton. A frigid day with snow flurries in April 1966. I was summoned off the bench and out from under blankets to pinch hit with two out and the tying and wining runs on base. A lefty throwing heat struck me out on three straight pitches. I believe he went on to pitch for Michigan State. For me, it was the beginning of my emphasis on training for football.

Reactions: demlion
i was up in Bradford county this weekend turkey hunting and drove through so many tiny little towns. Thinking about the thread about the best penn State football player from your town. I was wondering who grew up or currently live in a small or really tiny town. Feel free to share your town name and population even if it’s Philly or Pittsburgh, but I think it will be more interesting to hear about the smaller towns.

I’ll go: Hummelstown PA (grew up) population as of 2016 is 4609

I grew up in Lilly, PA, which had around 1500 people living there during my formative years. It now has a little over 900 people living there. The only PSU player I know about from Lilly was walk on Justin Wheeler who last I heard was the head coach at Bishop Guilfoyle. Frankly, I am still trying to get back there, as it will always be home, but it looks like that isn't happening until retirement. Unless, someone in the Altoona-Johnstown area needs an old IT guy. ;-)

Reactions: Ranger Dan
As you list your town, also list your Mother's maiden name, your best childhood friends name, your first pet, and the town you were born in. :)

We lived in the middle of nowhere in the Lehigh Valley. Grandparents owned 17 acres, and he carved off 1/4 acre for each of the kids when they got married and they all chipped in and built a 3/1/1 house for them as their wedding present. No mortgage for any of them. When they needed more money, he would build additional houses and sell them. The horseshoe road was named after them. Now it is in the middle of suburbia. All my relatives within a 17 acre section of land (my mothers relatives even bought houses there, so I literally had all of them around all the time). After I graduated college, I moved straight to Texas.

Now, I need to change my passwords and my farms gate lock combos (still are my phone number from growing up there as a kid):(

Careful. You're starting to sound incestuous

Reactions: CentexLion
New Philadelphia, population =~ 1500 in 1960's with 3 churches and 17 barrooms. Today, population is 1047 with 2 churches and 3 barrooms. Boy, have times changed.

Reactions: doublehaul
If you moved the "cities" of Charleston, WV, and Huntington, WV, together, and combined their population so as to make one "metropolis," the resulting "urban area" would be slightly smaller than...............Erie, PA.

Anyone who says they grew up in WV but does not know about small towns is a liar or a bubble boy.
a fellow from Seattle was traveling thru town. We were BSing about stuff, and Logan county came up, and then Mingo county etc. He asked why we refereed to the county as a whole and not the names of the town. Out in Washington, they never talked about counties, just the towns. We explained many Counties did not have a town large enough to have a name or be incorporated!! For the record Curt Warner is listed as Wyoming, WV which isnt of course a town, but a county!!

I grew up in Perry county in the village of Eschol near Ickesburg. We had 63 people in the village. I now live in a small town in northern MD of about 3000. Small town living is the best!

Richland. (Lebanon County version). Pop. 2000. No lights. The town “boomed” when Carlos Leffler started oil delivery surface. You may remember CR’s Friendly Markets. After Leffler died, they switched to Hess Stations (which are now Speedway). Claim to fame is that it is the only US town with a working railroad that goes through the town square. So there is that. . .

But you get the Millville Carnival and Fireworks once a year!

That we do, but I haven't been to the carnival for probably 10 years. I did get back to the parade (which, by the way, is usually pretty damn good) a few years back. Carmel corn and french fries at the carnival are always great.

Reactions: PearlandLion

Screw the Tigers! LOL....they were always our rivals. Both tiny towns, ...Benton even smaller than Millville. But, hey, they have the rodeo and Mill Race Golf Course! Played high school sports against the Hughes brothers. I was not a wrestler. Thank god.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT