ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think Maryland is going to beat Iowa Friday Night?

Has there been a time, when it looked like Maryland on the precipice, that they won one of these games? Maybe this time is different? Until proven otherwise, despite thinking Iowa is overrated, I'd go with them.

Reactions: Sharkies
I am looking at this game and thinking Maryland will beat Iowa, and Iowa will start a downward spiral.
If it was at Iowa, I’d be all-in on Iowa. At MD gives me some pause. I am gonna go wid Iowa in a close one

d967i7s-b6ab841e-130a-4994-ac39-ef19187be7c8.jpg

I looked at Iowa’s game by game stats, and they are averaging less than 300 yards of offense per game. They had 173 yards against Iowa st? Really?

I think their defense is good but Indiana had 233 yards and 3 turnovers against them. Iowa St had 339 yards and 4 turnovers. Kent St - 264 yards no turnovers, and lastly Colorado St had 250 yards and 1 turnover?
So is their defense good? Really Good? Or have the offenses that they have faced so far this year been basically hot smelly garbage?

I looked at Iowa’s game by game stats, and they are averaging less than 300 yards of offense per game. They had 173 yards against Iowa st? Really?

I think their defense is good but Indiana had 233 yards and 3 turnovers against them. Iowa St had 339 yards and 4 turnovers. Kent St - 264 yards no turnovers, and lastly Colorado St had 250 yards and 1 turnover?
So is their defense good? Really Good? Or have the offenses that they have faced so far this year been basically hot smelly garbage?
I'm gonna have to go with hot smelly garbage for $1000 Alex.

Reactions: Rollin Stone
I am looking at this game and thinking Maryland will beat Iowa, and Iowa will start a downward spiral.
Based on the weird 2021 associative property of who beats/or almost loses to another team, it's a toss up. If I had to make a choice, I would go with Iowa, hoping Maryland grinds down their back 7 in time for us.

Reactions: odshowtime
Maryland actually has a pathway to win this game though...but they need to find a way to get to 24 points, which in my mind is the formula against Iowa in any year, this or otherwise. Penn State did it with 17 a couple years ago, but it usually takes 21 to 24. If Maryland can find a couple big plays and can cause a turnover or 2, then sure, it could happen.

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
No, I see the Maryland hype and build up similar to what happened in 2019 when PSU came rolling into town (also for a Friday night showdown). The Terps season will begin to unravel, which is pretty much a given every year, this Friday night.

Reactions: Pete in LA
Iowa's offense is as bad as Maryland's offense is good. Now if Maryland can find a decent defense, they can win.

Reactions: BBrown
Maryland's got some nice skill players but I don't think it's enough to overcome the huge advantage Iowa has at the LOS. Maryland will have a lot of yards but I don't think they have what it takes to take on Iowa in the red zone.
Precisely. Massive difference with these 2 teams, in the trenches.

I think Iowa’s defense is outstanding. Their offense…a totally different story.

Nope . Not going to happen. Iowa will will so that we will have the nation's eyes upon us next week. Then and only then will their downward spiral begin.

I think Iowa’s defense is outstanding. Their offense…a totally different story.
Iowa
  • killed indiana based on two pick six's (by the same guy)
  • Beat Iowa State who was ranked at the time, however, they have since lost to Baylor, barely beat Northern Iowa and killed UNLV. They were probably overrated coming into the season.
  • Beat Kent. but didn't kill them
  • Beat Co State, barely (losing at halftime 14-7)
MD
  • Beat a good WVU Team
  • Killed Howard
  • Beat Ill by only 3
  • beat Kent handily
MD has been a "big play" team with an explosive QB and a good WR and B+ RB. But that's it. If they don't score in chunks, they'll suffer. A friday game makes this a weird one. It is at MD. I suspect Iowa will be too much for them but it is a trap game before PSU. I suspect that a close game against Co State was a wakeup call.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Nope . Not going to happen. Iowa will will so that we will have the nation's eyes upon us next week. Then and only then will their downward spiral begin.
TV network and B1G sure wouldn't like it. I am sure they want to advertise the PSU Iowa as #4 vs #5, at the worst.

Reactions: lazydave841 and Fac
Remember when they cancelled class on a Friday because they were playing us that night and then they lost by 50?
I think they've improved a bit since then. They flat out beat us at home last year. It was embarrassing. I don't care what kind of excuses we had. Maryland has had a history of choking in big games. Still, I think they make it more of a game vs. Iowa than ISU and Indiana did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT