ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone think Maryland is going to beat Iowa Friday Night?

Iowa 27 MD 17. The Iowa defense will shut down the Md passing game with their pass rush and create a few turnovers.
I'm hoping Iowa wins and we win against Indiana so both teams are Top 5 on October 9. I do think this will be the best QB they've seen so far and Maryland will have a good chance if it can limit turnovers. It will be interesting.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I think both MD and State find out who they really are when each plays Iowa. We know Iowa already: BORING
no clue if MD is legit yet
Wait, the first thing was Wisconsin...that was supposed to be when we found out who we were.
Then Auburn, we were supposed to find out then also.
I'm looking at these schedule and Holy crap, 8 times we get to find out who we are?
We don't know yet after 2 stabs at it?

Wait, the first thing was Wisconsin...that was supposed to be when we found out who we were.
I'm looking at these schedule and Holy crap, 8 times we get to find out who we are?
If you know, tell us who we are.

Dude, see ND v W and Auburn v Georgia State. I PROMISE, Iowa will be the control group. :)

I am looking at this game and thinking Maryland will beat Iowa, and Iowa will start a downward spiral.
I don't think we know how good a lot of teams are at this point and that includes Penn State. Maryland has the best QB and the game is in MD so it could be close.

I'm just hoping we beat Indiana on Saturday. They had better stats than Cincinnati two weeks ago. They lost because they fumbled on Cincy's 2 yard line and Penix threw 3 INTs. I think PSU will win but we have to win the turnover battle or it will be tough.

Reactions: BBrown and psu00
Yes, maybe. But, then again, maybe not. So I'd say there's a chance, I guess. Yep, for sure the Turtles might take down the Hawks; or they could lose.

If JB had only looked like Michael Scott- 32% plurality said he looked more like Mike Krebenzki from ACCs Dukie style

I certainly hope not. Remember, PSU blew out Iowa a few years ago and Ferentz turned them around in a week and beat a previously undefeated Michigan team . Keep them fat and ranked.

I don't think we know how good a lot of teams are at this point and that includes Penn State. Maryland has the best QB and the game is in MD so it could be close.

I'm just hoping we beat Indiana on Saturday. They had better stats than Cincinnati two weeks ago. They lost because they fumbled on Cincy's 2 yard line and Penix threw 3 INTs. I think PSU will win but we have to win the turnover battle or it will be tough.
They lost to Cincinnati because they gave up 38 points to a good but not great offense. They have an average defense, at best, and Penn State has a good enough offense to score enough to win this game.

I think Maryland wins, due to the chunk plays they'll generate on offense. Same reason we will also beat Iowa.

They lost to Cincinnati because they gave up 38 points to a good but not great offense. They have an average defense, at best, and Penn State has a good enough offense to score enough to win this game.
….and a pretty good Defense too ;)

Did anyone check out the twerps recruiting rankings for 2022 so far? #65, right above Memphis and Utah state. Maryland has 1 qb in tua’s bro and Jarrett at wideout but all we here from the tv jocks is how good their skill players are. I just hope Locksley stays. They should have lost to Illinois this year. I will say, the state of Maryland’s football teams seem to be rolling the dice properly this year….ravens and UMD but sooner or later the house of cards will come crashing down.

How does he do that with all those 3 stars?? Amazen….;)
Wouldn't be a popular opinion here....but Ferentz is a "coaches coach." Has a system, recruits to the system and has stood the test of time. BWI CAC are attracted to the shiny objects. LOL

Last edited:
Maryland tends to be the trendy pick for upsets early each year…….. then they revert to being Maryland.

I don’t know what’s better for Penn St- keep Iowa full of themselves and beat them in Iowa City or have them lose to MD and take the air out of the sails of the Iowa crowd but deal with Iowa having a wake up call before the PSU game.

Demus is probably a better WR than Jarrett is right now.

Taulia can run, but he's not been looking to in what little I have watched them (some WVU, almost entire Illinois game).

That Illinois game was ugly for the most part. If they repeat that, Iowa probably turns them over and capitalizes as they have done all year.

The big plays likely won't be there. But if they are... Could be fun.

Reactions: WildTurk
Iowa
  • killed indiana based on two pick six's (by the same guy)
  • Beat Iowa State who was ranked at the time, however, they have since lost to Baylor, barely beat Northern Iowa and killed UNLV. They were probably overrated coming into the season.
  • Beat Kent. but didn't kill them
  • Beat Co State, barely (losing at halftime 14-7)
MD
  • Beat a good WVU Team
  • Killed Howard
  • Beat Ill by only 3
  • beat Kent handily
MD has been a "big play" team with an explosive QB and a good WR and B+ RB. But that's it. If they don't score in chunks, they'll suffer. A friday game makes this a weird one. It is at MD. I suspect Iowa will be too much for them but it is a trap game before PSU. I suspect that a close game against Co State was a wakeup call.
I’m not going to comment much on the Hawks here, we don’t really know who they are yet. I think the defense is really good and the offense is questionable, but we’ll learn a lot the next couple weeks. I did want to point out from the above, though, that Maryland beat Kent St. 37-16 and Iowa beat them 30-7.

How is Maryland’s 21-point win “beat Kent handily”, but Iowa’s 23-point win is “beat Kent but didn’t kill them”? Seems pretty comparable to me and about what I expect - Maryland has a better O and put up more points and Iowa has a better D and held them to less.

I will be at this game Friday night and I'm looking forward to it. It will actually be my first college football game in person that doesn't include Penn State.

I have a sneaking suspicion Maryland will win. They have the kind of team that can go over the top of Iowa for a few broken plays and get the score just high enough that the Iowa offense could never catch up.

I am going to be rooting for Iowa, but I predict 20-13 MD.

Maryland has most of it's better players on offense, including WRs who can make big plays and I believe Tagovailoa leads the B1G in passer rating or something like that? MD is a tough out because they are so multiple offensively and can win 1-on-1 matchups frequently. Iowa will have to avoid the big plays allowed on D....if they do, then they can play the style they want.

How is Maryland’s 21-point win “beat Kent handily”, but Iowa’s 23-point win is “beat Kent but didn’t kill them”?

Didn't watch either game. Checking the info out there, the only conclusion I have is that perhaps some thought Maryland being up 37-9 in the 4th looked better than Iowa being up 23-7 going into the 4th before salting the game away with a late TD.

Stats wise, it looks like y'all held them to about half the yardage. Par for the course, y'all have what seems to be a very good to possibly great defense.

Can't wait to see how your game plays out. Maryland might be sneakily better than people think, but it seems the pollsters are waiting until this game is over before giving them any votes. Sure, it's a night game on the road, but Maryland hasn't shown that to mean squat yet.

Iowa by 10 is my guess.

Reactions: hawkifann
Iowa is probably going to lose 3 games this year before stumbling into whatever bowl they manage to play in. They were a trendy pick early after beating two preseason paper tigers, but are likely just a typical tough, stout, over performing Ferentz team that is capable of the occasional upset under perfect conditions (ie at Kinnick Stadium).

Maryland is….well, Maryland. Maybe with a shiny coat of paint so far, but still just twerps.

Iowa is probably going to lose 3 games this year before stumbling into whatever bowl they manage to play in. They were a trendy pick early after beating two preseason paper tigers, but are likely just a typical tough, stout, over performing Ferentz team that is capable of the occasional upset under perfect conditions (ie at Kinnick Stadium).

Maryland is….well, Maryland. Maybe with a shiny coat of paint so far, but still just twerps.
Iowa has an easy schedule. Who is going to beat them besides (hopefully) PSU?

1-2 Wisconsin?
2-3 Nebraska?
1-4 Illinois?

I am looking at this game and thinking Maryland will beat Iowa, and Iowa will start a downward spiral.
It's that time of the year when Maryland gets exposed. Happens every year. This game will be closer than some but Iowa gets it done.

Bill Connelly's ESPN computer model has Maryland over Iowa as his upset special: 25 - 21

I thought so earlier in the week but I just can't seem to bite on Maryland beating a top-five team at home. I know they're improved, but just need to see it to believe it. Should be a great game to watch.

I thought so earlier in the week but I just can't seem to bite on Maryland beating a top-five team at home. I know they're improved, but just need to see it to believe it. Should be a great game to watch.

Truthfully, unless Maryland can win out until our November matchup, I would rather them lose.

I’d like to see Maryland expose Iowa’s defense giving Penn State something to exploit next week.
But, have Iowa win to set up a Penn State road win over a top-5 team.

BTW, what is the board CAC. Can’t figure it out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OL

Reactions: Beachwineguy
It's that time of the year when Maryland gets exposed
Didn't Penn State play them in the 4th week of the season last year? OK, that was in November so maybe you mean October as "that time of year".

I do not like Md ever since they dissed us on the field several years ago. That being said their QB is playing lights out. This should be a good game to watch. Idiots Out Wondering Around will be challenged.

Reactions: odshowtime
Iowa has an easy schedule. Who is going to beat them besides (hopefully) PSU?

1-2 Wisconsin?
2-3 Nebraska?
1-4 Illinois?
Maryland could very easily beat them in MD. PSU should beat them. Wisky and Nebraska (gave OU a game) are also both on the road…tough places to play with a mediocre offense.

Maryland could very easily beat them in MD. PSU should beat them. Wisky and Nebraska (gave OU a game) are also both on the road…tough places to play with a mediocre offense.
Maybe. If that's true I predict a 1 loss team from the east will play a 3 loss team from the west for the BiG title.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r

LOL! You haven't been paying attention since 1993. You don't find out who you are until you play Ohio and Meat. Then the Big Ten sycophants tell you who you are and the rest of the country/pollsters follow suit. Why ND wasn't foolish enough to join.

Oh yeah. Well FWIW I got Fairyland because Iowa (pronounced Eye-oh-were) will be looking ahead to playing PSU whereas Fairyland is at Ohio where it knows it stands no chance of winning. So there.

I want Maryland to win and it won't affect us either way since we have to win every game we play to have a realistic chance of being in the Final Four. That said, we're going 1-0 this week!

Reactions: OhioLion
I want Maryland to win and it won't affect us either way since we have to win every game we play to have a realistic chance of being in the Final Four. That said, we're going 1-0 this week!
I think we can win the East with 1 loss this year as long as that one loss isn't Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT