ADVERTISEMENT

Are Christian Hackenberg’s throwing mechanics fixed?

No way to spin CH's journey. He has improved his accuracy or he has not. He's got what cannot be taught: size, arm, health. How he can throw a 30 yard deep route but miss a guy five yards from him has always been a mystery. Again, his OC was fired and the offense made a tectonic shift.

It is interesting: you've got Trace with zero physicality to take to the NFL but accurate and his intangibles are off the charts good. Then you've got CH who has all of the physicality but can't hit the ocean from the boat in terms of accuracy. Which has the better shot at being an NFL QB?

No way to spin CH's journey. He has improved his accuracy or he has not. He's got what cannot be taught: size, arm, health. How he can throw a 30 yard deep route but miss a guy five yards from him has always been a mystery. Again, his OC was fired and the offense made a tectonic shift.

It is interesting: you've got Trace with zero physicality to take to the NFL but accurate and his intangibles are off the charts good. Then you've got CH who has all of the physicality but can't hit the ocean from the boat in terms of accuracy. Which has the better shot at being an NFL QB?
I've said it a number of times, CH throws with his feet not set or improperly set. If he gets that straightened out, he could be great. If his ball position is also an issue and he gets those issues corrected, watch out.

Throwing motion is great and all, but if Christian hates us half as much as we hate him, he will do well wherever life takes him.

Memphis Express ? Why didn't he come back home and play for the NEPA Coalcrackers ?

Yes, just get your body looking like CH's. Remember, he was called a Greek God at one time. Weight watchers will not do it.
I remember seeing Yetur G-M called that but I don’t remember CH called that. Either way, a lot guys who didn’t make it were built like great players.

Hard to believe he’s come this far without anyone noticing these problems with his mechanics. Wish him the best.

I remember seeing Yetur G-M called that but I don’t remember CH called that. Either way, a lot guys who didn’t make it were built like great players.

Hard to believe he’s come this far without anyone noticing these problems with his mechanics. Wish him the best.
Have you ever fired a strike to home plate with your feet facing 1/2 way between home and third base? CH tried to throw so many passes when his feet were going in another direction. This will surely affect accuracy. Try it sometime.

Especially since he's had at least 2 QB guru's and NFL QB coaches.

Obli, I don't know if Trace is really all that accurate. At least during this past year, I thought his accuracy had regressed substantially. Now, some of this may be due to Trace not being 100% physically last year, but IMO Trace's accuracy is not nearly good enough for success in the NFL. I do agree with you about Trace's intangibles being his strong suit.

Kurt Warner 2. Hey, Hack deserves the respect of PSU fans. He came to PSU when he had offers from everybody in a time of sanctions. He never did anything wrong/bad while at PSU. Just never completely met expectations, that is no reason to bash him. I hope that somehow somebody did find some tiny little thing that fixed his mechanics and now he is way more accurate. Maybe that restores his confidence and that feeds into some increased pocket presence.

Obli, I don't know if Trace is really all that accurate. At least during this past year, I thought his accuracy had regressed substantially. Now, some of this may be due to Trace not being 100% physically last year, but IMO Trace's accuracy is not nearly good enough for success in the NFL. I do agree with you about Trace's intangibles being his strong suit.

Yeah...lots of factors. The drops early, can lead to QB's over thinking their passes and trying to be too perfect. Were the WR running accurate routes? Lots to know but have no way of really knowing. I don't know why a very accurate kid would suddenly be inaccurate. I suspect it had more to do with the team and environment than Trace...but have no idea.

Yeah...lots of factors. The drops early, can lead to QB's over thinking their passes and trying to be too perfect. Were the WR running accurate routes? Lots to know but have no way of really knowing. I don't know why a very accurate kid would suddenly be inaccurate. I suspect it had more to do with the team and environment than Trace...but have no idea.
---
Poor receiving is one issue. New OC another. And Trace is such an intense competitor that he always seemed to be too fired up in the 1st qtr and over threw guys that were open. Thats why we have been a second half team-he did better after he burned off a lot of adrenaline.

Reactions: Obliviax and BBrown
---
Poor receiving is one issue. New OC another. And Trace is such an intense competitor that he always seemed to be too fired up in the 1st qtr and over threw guys that were open. Thats why we have been a second half team-he did better after he burned off a lot of adrenaline.
---

I should add one more - no Mr Barkley to draw 80% of the defense away from him and receivers.

Have you ever fired a strike to home plate with your feet facing 1/2 way between home and third base? CH tried to throw so many passes when his feet were going in another direction. This will surely affect accuracy. Try it sometime.
I've tried it. doesn't work so well.

I'm not disputing the problems with CH's mechanics. I'm saying it's hard to believe he’s come this far without anyone noticing them. So whatever's been going wrong the last 5 years, I'm glad he's overcome it and is now on the road to success.

Reactions: BBrown
The question I have is why the heck did it take so long for these highly compensated coaches to figure that out?

More than likely they had been trying to get it corrected all the time. My guess it was a combination of not having enough isolated time to work on that with CH, and / or Willingness of CH to listen and make the changes.

My guess that he is much more motivated now to work on those changes now that he is trying to get back in the league. I do not underestimate the confidence/arrogance (I've never met CH so I'm not saying this is the case) of "elite" athletes that think there isn't anything new for them to learn. With QB's they've had a gun of an arm all trough middle & High School and then a college coach says "we need to fix you", some of those athletes think, I don't need to be fixed.

Just my opinion, not saying this is the case with CH.

I've tried it. doesn't work so well.

I'm not disputing the problems with CH's mechanics. I'm saying it's hard to believe he’s come this far without anyone noticing them. So whatever's been going wrong the last 5 years, I'm glad he's overcome it and is now on the road to success.

He also said this week in an interview, that a bad throw or two would really get in his head and mess things up for the rest of the game. Felt "all eyes were on him" after bad plays and he did not deal well with the pressure. Playing in the NY market did not help. Wish the best for him, but his issues are more than a flaw in his motion. He admitted as much this week.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
That little clip does make sense on why his shorter throws seemed less accurate than his downfield throws. Something I could never understand with him.

For anyone needing a reason to watch some football before the Blue-White game:

MEMPHIS EXPRESS SEASON SCHEDULE

Week Date Away Home Time
Week 1 2/10/19 Memphis Birmingham 4:00 PM ET
Week 2 2/16/19 Arizona Memphis 8:00 PM ET
Week 3 2/23/19 Memphis Orlando 8:00 PM ET
Week 4 3/2/19 San Diego Memphis 8:00 PM ET
Week 5 3/10/19 Memphis Atlanta 4:00 PM ET
Week 6 3/16/19 Memphis Salt Lake 4:00 PM ET
Week 7 3/24/19 Birmingham Memphis 8:00 PM ET
Week 8 3/30/19 Orlando Memphis 2:00 PM ET
Week 9 4/6/19 Memphis San Antonio 4:00 PM ET
Week 10 4/13/19 Atlanta Memphis 8:00 PM ET

Reactions: psugisher
One question is whether it's possible to change after doing it one way for so long but another is why could this not have been diagnosed and fixed earlier? The Jets are an NFL team and they invested a 2nd round pick in CH. You'd think they'd have some know how on this kind of stuff.

I just looked it up and the Memphis Express's first game is this Sunday. I wonder if CH is starting. Also on the roster is Zach Mettenberger of LSU and the Steelers for a short time as well as some guy named Brandon Silvers.

ETA: According to this the game will be on the CBS Sports network (which I think is different than just plain CBS) this Sunday at 4 pm.

https://programminginsider.com/2019...ootball-aaf-week-1-tv-and-announcer-schedule/

Great call-out and it just shows how much crap is floated in so-called NFL scouting circles. McShay had zero basis for putting CH as a potential #1 overall pick. It’s clear McShay watched zero film of CH or did and was too incompetent to see flaws. That really put CH behind the 8-ball in many ways.

One question is whether it's possible to change after doing it one way for so long but another is why could this not have been diagnosed and fixed earlier? The Jets are an NFL team and they invested a 2nd round pick in CH. You'd think they'd have some know how on this kind of stuff.
It’s pretty clear that the Jets reached on CH based on the evals of others (likely not even NFL employed scouts). Why they reached is anyone’s guess.

Fixing his throwing motion is great. Not sure how much that will help his vision or aboility to sense pressure.
Good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT