ADVERTISEMENT

B1G and SEC meeting to "look at the entire sports landscape"

It goes to 12 team football playoff next year but this could basically lead to a nice 8 team SEC vs BIG football playoff. Both conferences go to 24 teams, 4 groups of 6 and the 4 group winners make the playoffs. For basketball they could have their own March Madness with all 48 teams. while teh football one would generate tons of $, the basketball one would not be the same as MM since there are no 16 seeds from small conferences to root for.

Reactions: LMTLION
It goes to 12 team football playoff next year but this could basically lead to a nice 8 team SEC vs BIG football playoff. Both conferences go to 24 teams, 4 groups of 6 and the 4 group winners make the playoffs. For basketball they could have their own March Madness with all 48 teams. while teh football one would generate tons of $, the basketball one would not be the same as MM since there are no 16 seeds from small conferences to root for.
Don't be surprised if you see a 12 team Big Ten/SEC playoff.

Why would they want to add any more teams and split the pie further. They're in the position right now to dicate college atheltics without the NCAA.

Reactions: OKLionFan
There are still some big fish out there that generate eyeballs/revenue - FSU, ND, Clemson, and a few others.
Yup. Those are some of the teams I meant when I said they’d go to 24 each. You’ll see Florida State, Clemson and a few others head to the SEC and Notre Dame and a couple others to the Big Ten so that they maximize revenue when these two conferences make their own separate deals for media.

Reactions: LMTLION
Yup. Those are some of the teams I meant when I said they’d go to 24 each. You’ll see Florida State, Clemson and a few others head to the SEC and Notre Dame and a couple others to the Big Ten so that they maximize revenue when these two conferences make their own separate deals for media.
It would be nice to see B1G expand down the east coast if possible. We all have family members at this point in Florida and the Carolinas. Seems like a natural extension of the conference, but I think you’re right that the SEC will swoop in.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
When it is 10 sec teams vs 2 big10 teams you will all be crying to bring back the NCAA.
No, it will be 6 from each but I'm fine if they combine the two and take the best for a playoff. As long as the rest are out I'm happy.

Why would they want to add any more teams and split the pie further. They're in the position right now to dicate college atheltics without the NCAA.
Each getting to 24 just makes their power that much more. Especially adding ND.

This is a precursor to the SEC & B1G leaving the NCAA for football only. At this point it would be the best for everyone including all of the other conferences. The rest of the sports can go back to being regional conferences rather than spanning the entire country allowing the SEC & B1G football schools to not subsidize nonrevenue sports cross country travel costs.

I’m wondering if this would force ND’s hand to finally move to one of the big 2, or would their hubris allow them to believe that their brand is so strong they can continue to stay independent where it benefits them and be in the ACC when it doesn’t. Thoughts?

I’m wondering if this would force ND’s hand to finally move to one of the big 2, or would their hubris allow them to believe that their brand is so strong they can continue to stay independent where it benefits them and be in the ACC when it doesn’t. Thoughts?
Yes, they would join one in a second.

This is a precursor to the SEC & B1G leaving the NCAA for football only. At this point it would be the best for everyone including all of the other conferences. The rest of the sports can go back to being regional conferences rather than spanning the entire country allowing the SEC & B1G football schools to not subsidize nonrevenue sports cross country travel costs.
if the B1G trusts the SEC, they are very stupid. it is smart to keep on top of what they are scheming but probably not smart to just go along with it

Why? The Big Ten and the SEC want the same thing
i don't think i agree with that.

the SEC wants to have football in a separate SEC-only semi-pro league while making thre same amount of money, with no other schools involved. the B1G probably does not want that

the SEC wants to have football in a separate SEC-only semi-pro league while making thre same amount of money, with no other schools involved. the B1G probably does not want that
The Big Ten absolutely wants that. Why would the Big Ten want to allow other programs to make money off of them?

The Big Ten and the SEC want the same thing like the USA and Russia wanted the same thing during World War II.
Both need a second conference. You don't have to be best friends or agree on everything to comprehend what needs to happen. Your example is apt. It worked, right?

Both need a second conference. You don't have to be best friends or agree on everything to comprehend what needs to happen. Your example is apt. It worked, right?
My point was that it worked in World War II to defeat the Nazis, but after that was out of the way they immediately became each others enemy.

Reactions: GSPMax
My point was that it worked in World War II to defeat the Nazis, but after that was out of the way they immediately became each others enemy.
And, unlike that, this is something that they will continue to need each other.

Does not matter. College football is ruined with NIL and instant transfer.
It may be ruined for you but ratings and literally everything else suggest you're in the minority.
I don't like NIL or the transfer rule but people continually exaggerate about how it's "ruined" or "they're not going to watch" which is proven by even commenting.

When the sec ignores the rules, who will discipline them?
The NCAA was established by the conferences to be an arbiter of competition issues. If the B1G and SEC split, they will need to set up some entity to perform a similar function.

I hope they are going to put some structure and processes in place for NIL. Not sure what could be done to make the transfer portal process better. It would be nice to have it be like the NFL draft where the weakest teams get to select their players first. I'm sure that will never happen but can you imagine a world where that Alabama safety who went to OSU is selected by Indiana instead?

When Clemson and FSU leave the ACC, I see ND stepping in and taking over the conference. ND was the school to push for the admission of Cal, Stanford and SMU. They’ll want total control of the ACC and the remaining schools will fall in line.
ND will rename the ACC Conference the ‘Golden Dome Conference’. It will have a national footprint from East to West and North and South. NBC will be all in with $$$$$!

I hope they are going to put some structure and processes in place for NIL. Not sure what could be done to make the transfer portal process better. It would be nice to have it be like the NFL draft where the weakest teams get to select their players first. I'm sure that will never happen but can you imagine a world where that Alabama safety who went to OSU is selected by Indiana instead?
Not sure how you can do any of that. Every legal battle would be lost.

Reactions: heckmans
i think it would be better to focus on the instant transfer. that's the thing that is going to ruin it, not NIL. Maybe if NIL contracts could be tied to staying at the same school for three years, or something like that, it would be an improvement

Not sure how you can do any of that. Every legal battle would be lost.
I don't think you can do it as long as the players are "students," but if you make it people playing ball for money then it seems feasible. As long as the guys are being paid enough, complaints about where they're playing become irrelevant.

The Big Ten and the SEC want the same thing like the USA and Russia wanted the same thing during World War II.
It’s about tv ratings and having a nationwide audience promotes that. With the B1G now being coast to coast and the SEC being the best college football, it makes for a great marriage.

I don't think you can do it as long as the players are "students," but if you make it people playing ball for money then it seems feasible. As long as the guys are being paid enough, complaints about where they're playing become irrelevant.
Not sure how it can ever be said they aren't students though even if they're being paid to play

Not sure how it can ever be said they aren't students though even if they're being paid to play
My point was, if they're forced to be students to play college ball, then saying "The U of Indiana drafted you, thus you now must become a student at the U of Indiana to continue to play ball" isn't feasible. OTOH, if there is no attending college involved, then you can say "Here is the system whereby you play ball and get paid for it. It may involve you having to go play somewhere you might not want to go but you have to anyway because that's who drafted you. If you want to play in this system and get paid for it, those are the rules. Or else you can opt out and not do it, but then you don't get paid to play."

Of course if that happens then attending the college where you're playing is no longer mandatory but personally I think that would be a good thing.

My point was, if they're forced to be students to play college ball, then saying "The U of Indiana drafted you, thus you now must become a student at the U of Indiana to continue to play ball" isn't feasible. OTOH, if there is no attending college involved, then you can say "Here is the system whereby you play ball and get paid for it. It may involve you having to go play somewhere you might not want to go but you have to anyway because that's who drafted you. If you want to play in this system and get paid for it, those are the rules. Or else you can opt out and not do it, but then you don't get paid to play."

Of course if that happens then attending the college where you're playing is no longer mandatory but personally I think that would be a good thing.
Yeah there's zero chance of this happening but cool fan-fiction stuff

That is not what the SEC wants. They want the biggest payout, and you can only get that with a NATIONAL TV deal. They need the BIG for that.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT