ADVERTISEMENT

College Football needs serious change.

Sooner Lion

Nov 10, 2003
Players opting out of bowl games. High school recruits going to the highest NIL bidder. An instant transfer portal that opens DURING THE F'n Season.

Let's take a look at the life of a college coach in December.
  1. They have to hold on to recruits for early signing period.
  2. They have to hold on to their own players, trying behind the scenes to secure NIL money for those they absolutely want to keep.
  3. They have to go recruit the portal to replace players who have decided to leave for a greener pasture somewhere else.
  4. About 1/2 of them have to prepare a game plan for a bowl game without knowing which players may suddently decide to "opt out" or enter the portal last minute.
This has become a "tail wag dog" scenario that 99.9% of the fans hate, yet the NCAA and the Supreme Court have created this mess. Time to drain the F'n swamp!

Players opting out of bowl games. High school recruits going to the highest NIL bidder. An instant transfer portal that opens DURING THE F'n Season.

2. They have to hold on to their own players, trying behind the scenes to secure NIL money for those they absolutely want to keep.
  3. They have to go recruit the portal to replace players who have decided to leave for a greener pasture somewhere else.
  4. About 1/2 of them have to prepare a game plan for a bowl game without knowing which players may suddently decide to "opt out" or enter the portal last minute.
This has become a "tail wag dog" scenario that 99.9% of the fans hate, yet the NCAA and the Supreme Court have created this mess. Time to drain the F'n swamp!
All you have to do is look at Kiffins roster, He contacts the players in the transfer portal and He buys any player he can. Most of the players won't go pro so they made themselves available to the highest bidder in college. They're elite players but their are only so many slots available in the NFL.

Vote with your feet. As long as fans keep watching, they’ll keep doing this stuff.

The professional football league known as FBS has lost me. I might as well devote my attention to the Eagles. Oh, wait a minute, never mind that either. Just going to return to reading and writing. Eff this bronzed turd.

• Love
Reactions: hoflane
Indeed, it is a professional league. Tell me why these players even get scholarships? It is an arms race mentality with the players reaping the rewards. So glad I did not go to the Peach bowl to see a Penn State scrimmage. Half the team seems to take it seriously and the other half not so much.

Indeed, it is a professional league. Tell me why these players even get scholarships? It is an arms race mentality with the players reaping the rewards. So glad I did not go to the Peach bowl to see a Penn State scrimmage. Half the team seems to take it seriously and the other half not so much.
Lots of people seem to now agree it was a scrimmage...

• Haha
Reactions: heckmans
The bus has already left the station. Money talks and right now it is screaming at the top of it's lungs. With the NIL and transfer portal, college football is now as bad if not worse than the NFL. It all comes down to $$$.

Reactions: hoflane

You’re 100% right - look no further than FSU. They were schedule to play in a superb bowl game and the team effectively quit. They had 24 opt outs.

The bus has already left the station. Money talks and right now it is screaming at the top of it's lungs. With the NIL and transfer portal, college football is now as bad if not worse than the NFL. It all comes down to $$$.
What is wrong with the NFL?

Salary cap. Draft based upon record.

Every team has an equal chance.

Expanding globally.

NFL is awesome.

Expanding globally.

NFL is awesome.
Only problem I see with the NFL is the franchise tag garbage…teams shouldn’t be able to lock a player in for two years beyond his contract.

Reactions: Bob2022

Expanding globally.

NFL is awesome.
I always felt college was more of a real game while the NFL was more of a business. I got in on my father in laws season tickets in 90 and found the college atmosphere to be better than the pro. I always said that I would pay through the nose to attend a college game than have a free ride to a pro game because of the atmosphere. Free agency and the way they dump and throw money around turned me off to the NFL and it's creeping into college. You draft a player, pay him X# of millions, spend X# of $ to develop him and how does he repay you? He walks the first chance he gets.There is NO loyalty in pro football and with the NIL and transfer portal, college football is losing that.

Last edited:
I always felt college was more of a real game while the NFL was more of a business. I got in on my father in laws season tickets in 90 and found the college atmosphere to be better than the pro. I always said that I would pay through the nose to attend a college game than ave a free ride to a pro game because of the atmosphere. Free agency and the way they dump and throw money around turned me off to the NFL and it's creeping into college. You draft a player, pay him X# of millions, spend X# of $ to develop him and how does he repay you? He walks the first chance he gets.There is NO loyalty in pro football and with the NIL and transfer portal, college football is losing that.

Loyalty is such a weird thing to demand.
If you work at a company and they spend time and money on developing should you stay there for less money than you're now worth?

Loyalty is such a weird thing to demand.
If you work at a company and they spend time and money on developing should you stay there for less money than you're now worth?
If you are treated fairly and compensated comfortably, where's the problem?

If you are treated fairly and compensated comfortably, where's the problem?
The problem is when you criticize others for leaving simply because you're okay with being comfortable. Some want to maximize their potential. There's no right or wrong.

Only problem I see with the NFL is the franchise tag garbage…teams shouldn’t be able to lock a player in for two years beyond his contract.
It should be noted that by "locking in," they are paying a player the average of the top 5 salaries at the position.

It should be noted that by "locking in," they are paying a player the average of the top 5 salaries at the position.
I get that, but what if they want to play somewhere else? They’ve played out their contract, they shouldn’t have to stay at the whims of the team.

I get that, but what if they want to play somewhere else? They’ve played out their contract, they shouldn’t have to stay at the whims of the team.
They can elect not to play. The NFLPA has agreed to this. Blame the union.

Nothing to do with whims. The NFLPA agreed to it as part of collective bargaining. The revenue sharing %, rookie scale, minimum team salaries, terms of free agency, etc are all negotiated. The NFLPA demands a lot. One ask of the owners was the ability to not lose one key player to the franchise in FA. To have that option, they agreed to a very specific set of salary requirements. For the NFLPA, they agreed to something that would affect a very small number of players and pay them very well. They certainly got something they wanted in exchange.

Nothing to do with whims. The NFLPA agreed to it as part of collective bargaining. The revenue sharing %, rookie scale, minimum team salaries, terms of free agency, etc are all negotiated. The NFLPA demands a lot. One ask of the owners was the ability to not lose one key player to the franchise in FA. To have that option, they agreed to a very specific set of salary requirements. For the NFLPA, they agreed to something that would affect a very small number of players and pay them very well. They certainly got something they wanted in exchange.
I know how it works and why it’s there, I just don’t agree with it. If you want to keep him, give him a better contract. If he doesn’t want to play for you, let him go. It’s pretty sad when college players have more freedom than professionals.

I know how it works and why it’s there, I just don’t agree with it. If you want to keep him, give him a better contract. If he doesn’t want to play for you, let him go. It’s pretty sad when college players have more freedom than professionals.
Then I guess the NFLPA shouldn't have agreed to it to get something else they wanted 🤷🤷

Bowl games are for providing ESPN and FOX product. As long as enough people watch, they aren't "broken".

I read that while FSU vs Georgia was only about 60% full, it attracted over 10 million viewers. That means even crappy games are successful at making money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT