ADVERTISEMENT

Based on last year the case can be made that PSU should be higher than OSU

dcf4psu

Nov 7, 2003
State College
Last year OSU suffered a close loss to PSU and did not win the B1G championship but finished ahead of PSU who had a road blowout loss.

This year PSU suffered a close loss at OSU and did not win the B1G championship but finishes ahead of OSU who had a road blowout loss.

That would be the true sign of consistency. Yes I realize it won't happen but if they were to be consistent it could.

Last year OSU suffered a close loss to PSU and did not win the B1G championship but finished ahead of PSU who had a road blowout loss.

This year PSU suffered a close loss at OSU and did not win the B1G championship but finishes ahead of OSU who had a road blowout loss.

That would be the true sign of consistency. Yes I realize it won't happen but if they were to be consistent it could.

The difference as much as I hate to admit it is quality wins. Last year we had two - OSU had three. This year OSU has better wins and worse losses than Bama and was conference champion. It doesn’t make any sense but they’ll get in.

Penn State doesn’t have the quality wins... we beat Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan. None of them are top ten wins, either when they happened or today. The fact that our losses were close and on the road, and in the case of MSU, involve extenuating circumstances, doesn’t matter much. We still have two losses. Alabama only has 1 loss and equal win quality, and tOSU has quality wins against us, MSU, and Wisky.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Penn State doesn’t have the quality wins... we beat Iowa, Northwestern, and Michigan. None of them are top ten wins, either when they happened or today. The fact that our losses were close and on the road, and in the case of MSU, involve extenuating circumstances, doesn’t matter much. We still have two losses. Alabama only has 1 loss and equal win quality, and tOSU has quality wins against us, MSU, and Wisky.
I would bet my paycheck that if OSU and PSU's resumes were switched this year, OSU would still be in the discussion and if resumes were switched last year, OSU would have gotten in.

Based on the case from last year - Wisconsin should be considered over Ohio State!! Didn’t win conference, didn’t win head to head, but better overall record and no “non-compete” losses. There is your actual comparison to last year.

Based on the case from last year - Wisconsin should be considered over Ohio State!! Didn’t win conference, didn’t win head to head, but better overall record and no “non-compete” losses. There is your actual comparison to last year.
And based on last year Bama should get in over OSU....pretty much every basis points to OSU should not have gotten in last year.

The big missing metric is 'quality wins'. Last year OSU beat (at the time they played):

# 14 Oklahoma
# 8 Wisconsin
# 9 Nebraska
# 3 Michigan

Their only loss to Penn State on the road by 3 points. Wisconsin's best win this year is over #20 Northwestern.

Penn State has two losses by a combined 4 points. The loss at MSU because of the 3 1/2 hour weather delay should be taken into consideration.

Penn State and Ohio State both played Iowa at Iowa and we all know what the outcome was for both games.

To me there is a continuing bias against Penn State that goes way, way back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT