ADVERTISEMENT

Best Rock Trio Ever!!!

Perhaps showing my age- but Nirvana was a pretty seminal band in my music life...
I was coaching at that time, and I think we wore out the Nevermind disc in practice...

Kinda on the same path the Beastie Boys have a special spot in my heart...
Quite a seminal omission?

Reactions: smiller229
For Primus fans this is a great live version of Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers. Check out how they morph some "What'd I Say" by the late, great Ray Charles into the song at 5:47.

On the quirky/unique scale I would add Primus to the list.
For as eccentric as Claypool is, Highball with the Devil as Les Claypool & the Holy Mackeral was an incredible album. He plays every instrument and does vocals on the album and has some pretty great collaborations (i.e. Henry Rollins from Black Flag). Worth checking out if you've never heard it!

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Music Video Vintage GIF

I endorse this...

Reactions: mcpat
Well done, but I’d put Blink 182 in over Sublime.

Motorhead deserves some cred, most current Hard Rock artists will mention Motorhead and Lemmy as an idol and inspiration.
I loved Blink growing up, but Sublime pretty much invented/popularized a whole genre. Both had big influence on me growing up in the 90s. Based on a lot of the answers, I am guessing these bands were a little late for this board's demographic.

If you're going that route: Crosby, Stills, and Nash

He says while wearing an old David Crosby tee-shirt
This softer path adds America, but if staying with all-out rock, here's a lighter lit and raised to Triumph at the old Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh in the late 70s. Easily in my top 3 concerts.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
The Tower Theater on 69th St in Upper Darby was where I saw a bunch of great events. When I was a kid, my brother and I went to the movies every weekend for their horror double feature and then stayed for the regular flicks. 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs, 2 sodas, 4 movies, $1.40. 4 bus tickets cost us another 40 cents. Those were the days.
My son attended his first concert at the Tower when my wife was 8 months pregnant. Paul Simon did an HBO special that night and we still have the DVD. My son's second concert was about 7 years later when we took him to see The Moody Blues. He spent the whole concert with his hands over his ears.

I love Genesis, but have a hard time including them when their best iteration included Gabriel and Hackett in addition to Banks/Rutherford/Collins.

(As a drummer, Collins is one of my favorite drummers . . . Peart ain’t so bad either).
Not to mention needing to use Chester Thompson when playing live.

How cool is it that LP’s are making a serious comeback. Still nothing better then the crackling sound of an old wore out record.

Speaking of… any Whiskey Myers fans out there? Check out “Song For You”
Ingenious sound idea.
Whiskey Myers kicks ass.

To answer the thread: Nirvana, Beastie Boys, Green Day, Blink-182, and Hanson

The Tower Theater on 69th St in Upper Darby was where I saw a bunch of great events. When I was a kid, my brother and I went to the movies every weekend for their horror double feature and then stayed for the regular flicks. 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs, 2 sodas, 4 movies, $1.40. 4 bus tickets cost us another 40 cents. Those were the days.
My son attended his first concert at the Tower when my wife was 8 months pregnant. Paul Simon did an HBO special that night and we still have the DVD. My son's second concert was about 7 years later when we took him to see The Moody Blues. He spent the whole concert with his hands over his ears.
the Tower was truly one of the best places around Philly to see a show.... saw so many amazing bands there... Ramones, Blondie, Morrisey, PIL, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Cranberries, Live, Black Crowes, and The New Bohiemans.... Amazing Venue...

lots of 3 man bands got together for only an album or 2 but WEST,BRUCE AND LAING were pretty good!

the Tower was truly one of the best places around Philly to see a show.... saw so many amazing bands there... Ramones, Blondie, Morrisey, PIL, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Cranberries, Live, Black Crowes, and The New Bohiemans.... Amazing Venue...
The Tower is a tremendous venue --- it has that old time movie theater vibe going. Before I moved from Philly, the last concert I saw was Neil Young. The stage was loaded with instruments and I was surprised. I guessed he brought along a backup band. Wrong. Neil played every instrument on the stage thru the night.
I saw Crosby, Stills and Nash. I saw Crosby and Nash. I saw Crosby. I saw Nash. I saw Young. Never saw Stills solo, or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Always a regret.

Dispatch.

Similar to other posts, perhaps it was just the time in my life (those formative teenage years), but when I heard Dispatch for the first time I was pretty blown away. All three members writing songs, swapping instruments and vocals, the harmonies, meshing of genres, etc. I'd never heard anything like it.

My group of close friends drove down to the concert at the Hatch Shell, while I was stuck at home working three summer jobs to try to pay for college. They called me during the concert and I sat by our home phone and listened to a song or two. Unfortunately, that's the closest I've come to hearing them live.

Dispatch.

Similar to other posts, perhaps it was just the time in my life (those formative teenage years), but when I heard Dispatch for the first time I was pretty blown away. All three members writing songs, swapping instruments and vocals, the harmonies, meshing of genres, etc. I'd never heard anything like it.

My group of close friends drove down to the concert at the Hatch Shell, while I was stuck at home working three summer jobs to try to pay for college. They called me during the concert and I sat by our home phone and listened to a song or two. Unfortunately, that's the closest I've come to hearing them live.
Their live album, Gut the van, was played on repeat many a times over in highschool and into college. I was really bummed when they broke up. As far as the older rock groups being named, I can appreciate everyone's experiences with those groups growing up, especially back in the 70's and 80's, I would imagine those were great times to go see live music, especially Rush.

Reactions: Chris Watts
Rush for old school... Blink 182 for New School.. Arguably both have top 5 Ever Drummers

Rush for old school... Blink 182 for New School.. Arguably both have top 5 Ever Drummers

Quite arguably, although Travis Barker really is much better than most people give him credit.

Really hard to make a “best drummer of all time” list since some of it is very subjective; however, I think Bonzo and Peart would grace just about anyone’s top 5.

Grohl isn’t the best drummer all time?

If not, then it’s Andrew Neiman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT