ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 trying to force rivalry?

uhlerlion

Jan 17, 2002
So as we look at the schedules this year and future years

We used to play MSU the last game of the year. Seems natural considering OSU scUM

So now PSU is stuck playing either UMD or Rutgers the last game of the year...

In the age of the all important playoff, it would appear that playing a meaningful game at the end of the year should be important for what ever positioning is needed.

One could argue that if PSU played Maryland and MSU in flip flopped spots this year PSU would have only 1 loss, but since the big ten chose this gauntlet for PSU ... done on purpose??

There is no need for Rutgers to play MSU today either.

One can help but think the Big Ten is trying to force Rutgers or Maryland down PSU's throats as their rival. Hey why not make the also ran's play themselves Rutgers Maryland clearly is a more "natural" rivalry. Keep the PSU MSU last game of the year for the ugly LandGrant Trophy

We used to play MSU the last game of the year. Seems natural considering OSU scUM

In the age of the all important playoff, it would appear that playing a meaningful game at the end of the year should be important for what ever positioning is needed.

One could argue that if PSU played Maryland and MSU in flip flopped spots this year PSU would have only 1 loss, but since the big ten chose this gauntlet for PSU ... done on purpose??

One can help but think the Big Ten is trying to force Rutgers or Maryland down PSU's throats as their rival. Hey why not make the also ran's play themselves Rutgers Maryland clearly is a more "natural" rivalry. Keep the PSU MSU last game of the year for the ugly LandGrant Trophy
That trophy would have looked beautiful in our possession this year.

Wouldn't want to potentially take any attention away from that game the big ten really cares about.

I mean the fans caring about the MSU "rivalry" seemed to range from "why?" to "meh" back when we played them at the end of the season.

One positive --- the MD students are gone for the Holiday and the environment is not intimidating at all. It's certainly not a "real" road game. Might be different if this game was in October.

I mean the fans caring about the MSU "rivalry" seemed to range from "why?" to "meh" back when we played them at the end of the season.

doesnt matter what it was back then...we are in the land of the playoff now and I would think playing a decent MSU team year in and year out than playing a sucky rutgers or maryland team has a lot more appeal.

besides RU and MD were not in the conference then now they are

I'm old enough to remember Pitt. THAT game should be played at the end of the year.
I was thinking about that today. I really think there is not enough for Penn State to gain by playing Pitt. It’s really only going to benefit Pitt. That said, if we are going to resurrect the rivalry, then it should be played at the end of the season. Heck, we could rest our starters and prepare for the big ten championship game.

Posters complain when the season ends with Michigan State. Posters complain when the season ends with Rutgers. Posters complain when the season ends with Maryland. Posters complain that PSU plays Pitt.

Maybe PSU should ask the B1G if they can skip the last game of the season.

I’d rather them have no end of year rivalry than play MSU. They can have their big games at other times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT