ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Disappointment for Iowa Fans

Who was the biggest disappointment for Iowa fans since Gable retired as head coach?

• Jim Zelesky

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • TnT

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Spencer Lee

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Alex Marinelli

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Mike Kemmerer

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Thomas Gilman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Metcalf

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters

AgSurfer

Aug 9, 2013
Since Gable stepped down as head coach for the Hawks, the Iowa fans have more than their fair share of disappointments over the years. Who do you think turned out to be their biggest disappointment during this time? Note - I included Gilman and Metcalf primarily because they chose to leave for better opportunities.

They won't admit it because saying a 3 timer dissapointed them would sound idiotic but the answer is Spencer Lee. They said he would be a certain 4 timer and him being on the team would deliver multiple team titles.
This is true. The gnashing of teeth over that loss and, in general, what they view as a lost opportunity for legacy because of injuries, is on another level altogether over there compared to all the other choices.

Although the poll should read GIA posters rather than Iowa fans.

Biggest Disappointment for Iowa Fans...​

Waking up.

Bill Murray Morning GIF by Groundhog Day

Biggest Disappointment for Iowa Fans...​

Waking up.

Bill Murray Morning GIF by Groundhog Day
I was going to put "waking up and realizing it is real". So I figured I would change it to "hope", an endless supply of hope that peaks in April and erodes daily to the day they realize they are more than a 100 points behind.

Others- Failing to get the sure-fire champs and program savers PDIII or the Pure-Breaded Italian on the mat.
Somehow missing their opportunity to let their guy take the mat to show Starocci how overrated he is.
Compliance not answering the phone when caller id shows GIA.
Biggest disappointment is recruits turning down Bigbucksbob’s cash to wrestle somewhere else for less

A few more to consider
  • Their vaunted points record being broken by far superior team
  • Being shunned by AJ Ferrari
  • No surprise hip tosses for Terry in many years
  • Being saddled with inferior soft ice cream

NIL and the transfer portal. It was going to "level the playing field" ... even if it required tampering.

Over the last two years, they've had well over 20 recruits/transfers penciled into their lineup, only to see most of them turn down the cash.

Last edited:
It's interesting to draw some parallels between Iowa's current situation and the British army during the American revolution. When the fighting in the colonies started, the British army was lacking in manpower. The primary reason was that the British soldiers were not treated well by their commanding officers so it there were problems convincing young men to enlist. So when the American colonists revolted, the Brits were forced to hire mercenaries (primarily Germans) to shore up their depleted army.

It seems that something similar is happening to the Hawk program. HS wrestlers are watching good recruits go to Iowa and end up being injured or burning out early. Plus it appears that some guys who chose Iowa have opted to bail out after being there a while. As a result, the supply of 1st tier recruits for Iowa is drying up. Consequently, Iowa has been forced to go to the portal for replacements, just as the British had to do. Of course, we all know how things worked out for England back in 1776.

I saw the future and have to say Gabe Arnold. Imagine watching your prospective 4-timer lose a starting spot to a 23-year-old, zero-time All-American, and then transfer to Nebraska months later.
Their last prospective 4-timer burned out before even getting there and quit wrestling altogether to join the navy, so they're probably numb to it.

It's interesting to draw some parallels between Iowa's current situation and the British army during the American revolution. When the fighting in the colonies started, the British army was lacking in manpower. The primary reason was that the British soldiers were not treated well by their commanding officers so it there were problems convincing young men to enlist. So when the American colonists revolted, the Brits were forced to hire mercenaries (primarily Germans) to shore up their depleted army.

It seems that something similar is happening to the Hawk program. HS wrestlers are watching good recruits go to Iowa and end up being injured or burning out early. Plus it appears that some guys who chose Iowa have opted to bail out after being there a while. As a result, the supply of 1st tier recruits for Iowa is drying up. Consequently, Iowa has been forced to go to the portal for replacements, just as the British had to do. Of course, we all know how things worked out for England back in 1776.
giphy.gif

Since Gable stepped down as head coach for the Hawks, the Iowa fans have more than their fair share of disappointments over the years. Who do you think turned out to be their biggest disappointment during this time? Note - I included Gilman and Metcalf primarily because they chose to leave for better opportunities.
the whole team!

• Haha
Reactions: AgSurfer
ABC could do a new Sport's commercial for the 'Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat' . Instead of the ski jumper crashing off the ramp show Ramos pinning Spencer and Kathy Lee shredding her glasses. Kind of says it all.
Hard to top that Spencer match for agony of defeat…..But I’ll go with Bo spladling and pinning Sammy Brooks in 36 seconds at Carver. Half the crowd thought Sammy had won, then had to watch Bo celebrate and quiet the crowd….ouch, that had to hurt.

Hard to top that Spencer match for agony of defeat…..But I’ll go with Bo spladling and pinning Sammy Brooks in 36 seconds at Carver. Half the crowd thought Sammy had won, then had to watch Bo celebrate and quiet the crowd….ouch, that had to hurt.
Myles Martin might disagree.

Reactions: creamery freak
NIL and the transfer portal. It was going to "level the playing field" ... even if it required tampering.

Over the last two years, they've had well over 20 recruits/transfers penciled into their lineup, only to see most of them turn down the cash.
The Hawkeyes need to start thinking about their reputation on how they go about doing things. If I'm a parent of an elite recruit, I want my kid going to a program that at least tries to do things the right way not one seems to be doing every sleazy thing possible to have a winner. Maybe it has something to do with those 20 that got away. If you ask me, it seems since Slumlord Bob got involved and became vocal about his involvement there, their recruiting has taken a nice steady decline...

I'm not complaining tho..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT