ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Disappointment for Iowa Fans

Who was the biggest disappointment for Iowa fans since Gable retired as head coach?

• Jim Zelesky

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • TnT

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Spencer Lee

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Alex Marinelli

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Mike Kemmerer

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Thomas Gilman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Metcalf

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
The Hawkeyes need to start thinking about their reputation on how they go about doing things. If I'm a parent of an elite recruit, I want my kid going to a program that at least tries to do things the right way not one seems to be doing every sleazy thing possible to have a winner. Maybe it has something to do with those 20 that got away. If you ask me, it seems since Slumlord Bob got involved and became vocal about his involvement there, their recruiting has taken a nice steady decline...

I'm not complaining tho..
Excellent point. Some of their more recent schemes might come across as desperation. If I was a parent of a top tier wrestler, I wouldn’t want him signing up with a program that is desperate.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
The Hawkeyes need to start thinking about their reputation on how they go about doing things. If I'm a parent of an elite recruit, I want my kid going to a program that at least tries to do things the right way not one seems to be doing every sleazy thing possible to have a winner. Maybe it has something to do with those 20 that got away. If you ask me, it seems since Slumlord Bob got involved and became vocal about his involvement there, their recruiting has taken a nice steady decline...

I think wrestlers see Bob as a schlemiel. They use his offer as a bargaining chip and take the next best offer. Paying kids $25,000 just to submit an application? LOL

They did manage to land Angelo F, but they had to wallow in the mud for 10 months where no one else was willing to go.

Desperate times.

I'm kinda shocked Marinelli is winning this vote. Indeed, his NCAA tournaments didn't live up to expectations but there were only four of those. TnT's teams have underperformed at nearly every NCAA tournament for almost 15 years.

For me, it's not even a contest.

Reactions: AgSurfer
I'm kinda shocked Marinelli is winning this vote. Indeed, his NCAA tournaments didn't live up to expectations but there were only four of those. TnT's teams have underperformed at nearly every NCAA tournament for almost 15 years.

Actually, that was my vote and I thought a lot more people would lean that way too.

Also, look at the early history of Brands at Iowa. The teams didn’t meet expectations under Zelesky so he was canned and Brands was brought in. (I don’t remember exactly when Terry was added.). All the Iowa fans applauded because they expected the ship to be righted again. There was a short burst of success, but then some guy left his alma mater to jump start a program that everyone thought could have success under the right coach. Since then, the Iowa teams have not fared any better than they did under Zelensky. If that’s not disappointing to the fans, I don’t know what is.

Reactions: dolecda

No, definitely not complaining. Like me, as you gander out across that self-proclaimed level field you are laughing your ass off and asking please play it again.

🤔🤔🤔

Not sure why Marinelli would be a disappointment. He wrestled tough, 4 time Big10 champ, winning record against Cenzo, never in trouble. He was/is a great ambassador for Iowa. If he had gone to PSU, Ohio State, Cornell or Iowa St he is almost certainly a multi time national champ. Marinelli is definitely an example of someone who accomplished a great deal considering the hand he was dealt. Namely wrestling for TnT and learning to in your biggest moments to depend on those stall calls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT