ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Napier

Coached for Saban and Swinney and has connections in the south for recruits...might be an interesting hire

Don't know a lot about him but his HC was just fired and ASU's offense is somewhere around 40th nationally in most significant offensive categories. Nothing remarkable that I've seen - am I missing something?

Coached at Bama and Clemson, was the Clemson OC for two years...one great year and one not so great year. Read he was a pretty good recruiter. Coached WR on two of Bama's National Championship teams...that said...idk if he is that much better than Rahne

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
This is a general question: how well do position coaches and assistant coordinators take being passed over when the OC or the DC move on?
Like any profession, if an organization hires "externally" instead of "internally", the employee should realize that management has deemed them as unpromotable at the current time and should decided between (a) looking elsewhere for better opportunities or (b) sucking it up and tolerating the situation.

Last edited:
Considered a top level recruiter....young with experience working for the top coaches and programs in the country. Seems like a catch if he can draw up a game plan, has the ancillary stuff down.

This is a general question: how well do position coaches and assistant coordinators take being passed over when the OC or the DC move on?
it depends, some will just be thankful to still have a job, probably know that putting their butt out there more on the line makes them vulnerable. Some get all mad, dont see the forest for the trees and want to move on.

Reactions: LionJim
Coached at Bama and Clemson, was the Clemson OC for two years...one great year and one not so great year. Read he was a pretty good recruiter. Coached WR on two of Bama's National Championship teams...that said...idk if he is that much better than Rahne

What does his offense look like? Spread? Pro? The other consideration here is that aren't staffs allowed to now have a 10th coach? Maybe Franklin is looking to add talent for that spot.

Don't know a lot about him but his HC was just fired and ASU's offense is somewhere around 40th nationally in most significant offensive categories. Nothing remarkable that I've seen - am I missing something?

Only 1 year at ASU. Averaged 427 yds (PSU averaged 453) and 31 points

Would have to get into the available talent and how well they recruited recently, but ASU's issues seemed to be more on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: Aloha T and NJPSU
Only 1 year at ASU. Averaged 427 yds (PSU averaged 453) and 31 points

Would have to get into the available talent and how well they recruited recently, but ASU's issues seemed to be more on the defensive side of the ball.

I'd add the Pac 12 is a weaker conference than the B1G, but point taken.

The way they should, which ain't well. Now, a guy who's been around for two years will have a different perspective than one who's been around for ten. But getting passed over is nature's way of telling you that something's wrong.

Reactions: LionJim
Considered a top level recruiter....young with experience working for the top coaches and programs in the country. Seems like a catch if he can draw up a game plan, has the ancillary stuff down.

his offenses at ASU have been ok, not spectacular and during his second year at clemson his offense averaged only 16 ppg after being a record setting offense the year before...so I'm not sure what to think.

What does his offense look like? Spread? Pro? The other consideration here is that aren't staffs allowed to now have a 10th coach? Maybe Franklin is looking to add talent for that spot.

pretty sure ASU ran a zone read

his offenses at ASU have been ok, not spectacular and during his second year at clemson his offense averaged only 16 ppg after being a record setting offense the year before...so I'm not sure what to think.

Fair assessment, a lot of these guys can be "who knows," until they get into the system. We certainly don't have a dearth of talent to work with. I suppose he is no less of an unknown than JoeMo was when we hired him out of Fordham.

Reactions: Cpeplion
I'd add the Pac 12 is a weaker conference than the B1G, but point taken.

My initial thought on Napier was more sour because of his affiliation with Graham this year but the guy seems to have coached with the best programs and if there's one thing Graham did believe in, it was explosive offense. Give him PSU's talent and what could he do? May be more fair question to ask.

I think Franklin considers the 'total package' too - seems like a good fit and of course, will have much more to work with at Penn State.

Hiring Napier could be a view into Franklin's vision of where the program is taking itself nationally. By this, I'm speaking a lot to recruiting. There seem to be a wealth of candidates to qualify for the OC position in terms of running the spread/RPO, but deeper look at Napier's background:

Napier is a guy from Georgia with coaching experience at Clemson and Bama...and just coming off a year recruiting Texas and California for ASU. I can see a ton of value in that that goes beyond play calling.

Keep in mind, entirely possible (and probably likely IMO) that Napier reached out to Franklin and not the other way around. His boss was just fired and one of the best OC positions in the country just opened up. Still an intriguing hire potentially if for no other reason than for the recruiting aspect.

Reactions: M&Mman
well he does need to hire a 10th coach, and I dont know if he's promised that to one of the GA's or other guys. But I would like to see him bring Strollo back and have him coach the OG, C, and let ML coach the OT's. I think that would really help.

well he does need to hire a 10th coach, and I dont know if he's promised that to one of the GA's or other guys. But I would like to see him bring Strollo back and have him coach the OG, C, and let ML coach the OT's. I think that would really help.

Hmm...promising a coaching job to a GA. Maybe that's not such a bad move. Could pay dividends down the road.

:eek:

2019 recruiting cycle will be more national because of lack of top talent in PA. Getting someone with ties to South is a good move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT