ADVERTISEMENT

Current UGA QB Sues Over NIL

But, it wouldn't be a 20 team league--they need at least 40 for it to work.
And, even then, NIL is still going to exist at the second level. So will pay for play.
I just don't understand what people think is happening here.
We don't have to like change but it's not going away. If you don't want to watch then go.
Respectfully, you have no better idea of what will happen than anyone else. You know what they say about opinions...

This thing is evolving insanely fast - NIL, anti-trust, collective bargaining. I
I've stated all along that major CBB is going to die. There is no need for it. I'ts cheap to run, the development model already exists for Soccer and other sports globally, and the AAU structure/NBA G-League could easily adjust to create a paid development pipeline. Football is tougher due to the overhead and the physical maturation of players happening later for football. I'm now beginning to believe that the model cannot sustain itself with educational institutions being involved at the top end. At some point, I think there is a separation, with universities being loosely tied and owning facilities at first. Who knows what happens in the long run. It's all getting too far away from the mission of the University.
Are they educational institutions with extra-curricular activities, or are they (semi) professional sports owners that also charge to feed/house/educate a portion of it pro sports fan base? I think we are approaching/exceeding the tipping point. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Is there a required correlation between the Name Image and Likeness of the athlete and the compensation that they receive?

Simple example. I manufacture bobbleheads. I propose making a bobblehead of PSU QB Drew Allar. They would sell for $20.00 per unit. Drew would get $1.00 per unit sold.

PSU fans purchase 1,000,00 bobbleheads. Drew earns $1,000,000 NIL.

If there is no meaningful 'work requirement' that transparently compensates them for their contributions and no monetary caps, then I have significantly decreased interest in supporting college athletics in this form moving forward.
I've talked about this a couple times. This gets very deep in the weed legally, but you'd think the NCAA should be able to enforce some sort of reasonable market value for NIL. The whole point of NIL is that a kid could have a youtube channel, do a commercial for a local car dealership, sign autographs, etc and be paid for it. The intent was not to legalize the bag man turn the illicit $100 handshake into the legal $10,000 direct deposit.

If NIL means something legally, I think the NCAA should be able to enforce some basic test. Using your example of bobbleheads, your math makes sense. But if Drew was PAID $1m and 100 bobbleheads were produced, it's obvious that the economic value of his NIL was not legit. By the same token, if a car dealer or Nittany beverage paid Drew to sign autographs to bring in shoppers and paid him $5K for 90 minutes, you can make the case that they received the value of their marketing investment, but if he was paid $250K for that appearance, it's clear that the event was laundering booster money. NIL has currently jumped the shark and kids are simply being paid to sign a LOI/not transfer and not for their Name, image, or likeness.

But, it wouldn't be a 20 team league--they need at least 40 for it to work.
And, even then, NIL is still going to exist at the second level. So will pay for play.
I just don't understand what people think is happening here.
We don't have to like change but it's not going away. If you don't want to watch then go.
I will watch multiple games on TV and attend 1 college football game each year, but I will not contribute to NIL.

Last edited:
NIL is one thing, being able to freely transfer anytime to anywhere without penalty is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine your favorite NFL team and everyone is on 1 year contracts, every single year. What would be the point in investing in the team? . Schools now want the fans to invest their money directly into NIL for kids who can take your money and up and leave whenever they feel like it. No thanks.

This is going to end up with players becoming employees and have to sign contracts. For another school to poach a player, they will have to pay a buyout to the school. That will slow the transfers significantly.

Reactions: RickinDayton
NIL is one thing, being able to freely transfer anytime to anywhere without penalty is absolutely ridiculous. Imagine your favorite NFL team and everyone is on 1 year contracts, every single year. What would be the point in investing in the team? . Schools now want the fans to invest their money directly into NIL for kids who can take your money and up and leave whenever they feel like it. No thanks.

This is going to end up with players becoming employees and have to sign contracts. For another school to poach a player, they will have to pay a buyout to the school. That will slow the transfers significantly.
Something must be done to control this totally out of control situation. In the early years of college football, which was like the Wild Wild West, it wasn’t uncommon for players to play for multiple schools at the same time. Are we really that far away from something as ridiculous as that happening again? I think not.

If this untenable situation isn’t controlled, then it’s going to become like European soccer in which only one or two teams in the major leagues have any hope of ever winning a league title year after year after year, like Man City. You might as well form one Super Conference of ten to twelve teams, because they’re going to be the only ones who have any shot to win anything.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Respectfully, you have no better idea of what will happen than anyone else. You know what they say about opinions...

This thing is evolving insanely fast - NIL, anti-trust, collective bargaining. I
I've stated all along that major CBB is going to die. There is no need for it. I'ts cheap to run, the development model already exists for Soccer and other sports globally, and the AAU structure/NBA G-League could easily adjust to create a paid development pipeline. Football is tougher due to the overhead and the physical maturation of players happening later for football. I'm now beginning to believe that the model cannot sustain itself with educational institutions being involved at the top end. At some point, I think there is a separation, with universities being loosely tied and owning facilities at first. Who knows what happens in the long run. It's all getting too far away from the mission of the University.
Are they educational institutions with extra-curricular activities, or are they (semi) professional sports owners that also charge to feed/house/educate a portion of it pro sports fan base? I think we are approaching/exceeding the tipping point. Time will tell.
This is what you want to happen because of your emotion to the chanhes. It's not reality in anyway.

You make a lot of assumptions that aren't based on fact. Being opposed to 'bad' change doesn't mean someone is being emotional.
It is emotional when people start rambling nonsense and comparing this to the XFL or minor league baseball. It's beyond ridiculous. You don't have to like any of the changes. No one does. But you have to understand them and they aren't building a sport for anyone here, including me, over 30. We're not going anywhere despite the inane claims being made.

The TV/streaming contracts aren't going away. There's built in fan bases that aren't going away. Gambling is huge with college football which isn't going away.

People are upset and saying ridiculous things. It has to stop.

Reactions: NJPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT