ADVERTISEMENT

Current UGA QB Sues Over NIL

.... the more I know, the less I understand....

Is there not some sort of contract that the player would sign that spells out the terms and conditions of the contract? And with the amount of $ being promised, hopefully these athletes are permitted to get legal representation, (like an agent?) to make sure that everything being offered is legit.

Ironically, Rashada had no problem reneging on his agreement with Miami, which was also going to create generational wealth money for he and his family. He was cool with not abiding by that 'contract' though?

It's just one more thing to pile on the demise of college football as we all knew and loved...for the most part. When will somebody in power step up and make laws to govern this SH!* show?

.... the more I know, the less I understand....

Is there not some sort of contract that the player would sign that spells out the terms and conditions of the contract? And with the amount of $ being promised, hopefully these athletes are permitted to get legal representation, (like an agent?) to make sure that everything being offered is legit.

Ironically, Rashada had no problem reneging on his agreement with Miami, which was also going to create generational wealth money for he and his family. He was cool with not abiding by that 'contract' though?
Only disagreement is that a million isn't generational wealth. It could be if they invest all of it. But lets be honest, there is likely very little that gets invested.

Marvin Harrison is being sued by Fanatics over some NIL issue as well. Who would ever have dreamed lawsuits will be all over college football.

Reactions: bdroc
Only disagreement is that a million isn't generational wealth. It could be if they invest all of it. But lets be honest, there is likely very little that gets invested.
I was paraphrasing a comment made by his attorney Hardin in the linked article: "You dangle life-changing, generation-changing money in front of a 19-year-old kid, who grew up without it, you can't expect that young person to not be affected by it. The bargaining power is totally unequal here."

While examining the article more closely, the rep from Miami and Lifewallet stated unequivocally that they had no $9.5mm deal with Rashada and that they were very upfront about their substantially smaller actual offer.

I wonder where UF got the idea that Rashada had a $9.5mm deal on the table with a competitor?

Fans should start a class action lawsuit against the ncaa for killing football
I think that we all know that college football as we now know it will not exist probably within a decade; it's in a death spiral and there's going to be no pulling out of it. What's happening now is totally unsustainable for all but maybe two handsful of schools and, even for several of them, the gravy train eventually will end.

Somebody recently posted in another thread that it is totally absurd that schools now are depending on people to pay athletes to play for their schools when those players are making three or four times more money than the people making the donations. How can you expect schools to function when they have to worry about having payrolls that are more than NFL teams?

I have a feeling that when this sport collapses, many of us who actually have devotions to schools actually may have more enjoyment watching a level of football that currently is being played at schools like W&J, etc., by actual student-athletes than fretting over whether a school can afford to pay millions of dollars to 18 year old kids who should be playing pro minor league football rather than pretending to be a student-athletes.

The only question is which D-1 school or schools will have the guts to begin the process of going back to the future, because I believe that once it starts, it won't stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: DandyDonII
Reactions: Ward Hog and jjw165
Unfortunately, this is part of the process. Before it was fun and games for the players and companies. Now, we start seeing the nasty side of money. Tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
Unfortunately, this is part of the process. Before it was fun and games for the players and companies. Now, we start seeing the nasty side of money. Tip of the iceberg.
Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-50s now and am not as naive as I used to be, but the expectation and enjoyment of an upcoming college football season are beginning to be sucked out of me. I know that many of my family and friends who used to love college football and travel to away and bowl games have pretty much had it. I mean, when you have to worry about whether your school can satisfy an NFL team's payroll, and whether 3/4 of the starters are going to skip bowl games like the disgrace that happened in the Peach Bowl, etc., how much enjoyment is this sport providing anymore?

God, I sense that many PSU fans on this board have a negative impression of the current program because of NIL, etc., and PSU actually is something like 12th in NIL, so how must fans of schools that are several levels below PSU feel? It''s a totally hopeless situation for those schools. I live in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you that Pitt has had a disastrous off-season with transfers, and I'd be surprised if that school ever comes close to what they did in 2021 because of the current system.

Maybe it's because I'm in my mid-50s now and am not as naive as I used to be, but the expectation and enjoyment of an upcoming college football season are beginning to be sucked out of me. I know that many of my family and friends who used to love college football and travel to away and bowl games have pretty much had it. I mean, when you have to worry about whether your school can satisfy an NFL team's payroll, and whether 3/4 of the starters are going to skip bowl games like the disgrace that happened in the Peach Bowl, etc., how much enjoyment is this sport providing anymore?

God, I sense that many PSU fans on this board have a negative impression of the current program because of NIL, etc., and PSU actually is something like 12th in NIL, so how must fans of schools that are several levels below PSU feel? It''s a totally hopeless situation for those schools. I live in Pittsburgh, and I can tell you that Pitt has had a disastrous off-season with transfers, and I'd be surprised if that school ever comes close to what they did in 2021 because of the current system.
I don't disagree. But people who don't like this need to stop forking out the cash to go to the games. If people continue to pay the money, the universities and players will keep escalating this. I know that I am certainly less enthusiastic. I haven't been to a regular season or Blue/White game in two years. I went to the Peach Bowl partly to see PSU but partly because I wanted to see the stadium. I also have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Rose Bowl the year before but the product PSU put on the field was very disappointing. They phoned it in. It is one thing to lose, which I am OK with. But many players phoned it in.

It's just one more thing to pile on the demise of college football as we all knew and loved...for the most part. When will somebody in power step up and make laws to govern this SH!* show?
How does one take power and govern something that can't be governed?

I don't disagree. But people who don't like this need to stop forking out the cash to go to the games. If people continue to pay the money, the universities and players will keep escalating this. I know that I am certainly less enthusiastic. I haven't been to a regular season or Blue/White game in two years. I went to the Peach Bowl partly to see PSU but partly because I wanted to see the stadium. I also have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Rose Bowl the year before but the product PSU put on the field was very disappointing. They phoned it in. It is one thing to lose, which I am OK with. But many players phoned it in.
Your post made me laugh, because this weekend, I'm going to be paying my brother for my share of our tickets for this upcoming season. Thus, despite my complaints, I guess I am contributing to this. However, I can tell you that it will be coming to an end for me if I see many more of those Peach Bowl episodes.

Reactions: Obliviax
Your post made me laugh, because this weekend, I'm going to be paying my brother for my share of our tickets for this upcoming season. Thus, despite my complaints, I guess I am contributing to this. However, I can tell you that it will be coming to an end for me if I see many more of those Peach Bowl episodes.
Ideally we're in the playoff and you don't have to worry about scrimmages.

entire concept is out of control

Reactions: Yanks49
Eventually there will be a salary cap and consideration of reducing numbers below 85. Regular players or those needing time to develop will be hurt. If we're paying, you've got to be playing.

Curious where did you hear PSU was approximately 12th in Nil? If that’s true it’s much higher than what the PSU podcast (BWI and 247) imply when discussing ourNIL. They often act like it’s a disaster.

Curious where did you hear PSU was approximately 12th in Nil? If that’s true it’s much higher than what the PSU podcast (BWI and 247) imply when discussing ourNIL. They often act like it’s a disaster.
I can't speak to the veracity of our #12 NIL ranking, but if that position leaves you $10,000,000 behind Ohio State, I suspect that is why the alarm bells are going off.

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I can't speak to the veracity of our #12 NIL ranking, but if that position leaves you $10,000,000 behind Ohio State, I suspect that is why the alarm bells are going off.
I think there is a very steep drop-off between those paying for the elite players and the next tier.

Reactions: bison13

Once congress realizes regulation is an opportunity to make a few bucks while getting some TV time with televised hearings, they'll put down their golf clubs, finish their martini and get busy!

Billions in tv deals

Reactions: Obliviax

Hard decisions ahead for many fans. I will not contribute to NIL. I prefer to give to more important missions: church, supporting missionionaries, benevolence, and other charities.

Hard decisions ahead for many fans. I will not contribute to NIL. I prefer to give to more important missions: church, supporting missionionaries, benevolence, and other charities.
Not a hard decision at all actually. PSU has plenty of money, both university and football, and is not a worthy cause for my donations.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Not a hard decision at all actually. PSU has plenty of money, both university and football, and is not a worthy cause for my donations.
TV money is - by far - the driver in this new age of CF. Just read - can't remember the site - that the B1G is now the highest earning conference.....overtaking the SEC in 2023 and that's before the 4 former PAC teams enter

Eventually there will be a salary cap and consideration of reducing numbers below 85. Regular players or those needing time to develop will be hurt. If we're paying, you've got to be playing.
My understanding is that it is not legal to set limits or caps on NIL.

That's the problem--there's no way the can cap NIL
Same reason many players want to end up being draft in a huge market--there's more opportunity for them to make money off their name

I was paraphrasing a comment made by his attorney Hardin in the linked article: "You dangle life-changing, generation-changing money in front of a 19-year-old kid, who grew up without it, you can't expect that young person to not be affected by it. The bargaining power is totally unequal here."

While examining the article more closely, the rep from Miami and Lifewallet stated unequivocally that they had no $9.5mm deal with Rashada and that they were very upfront about their substantially smaller actual offer.

I wonder where UF got the idea that Rashada had a $9.5mm deal on the table with a competitor?
IDK what will happen. I've been suggesting a decline in CFB with a 20team super league and a return to an 80-90s style for everyone else(PSU included).

Another scenario if interest holds is divestiture. Think about the Nittany Lion Wrestling club. Perhaps there is a NL Football Club that leases the stadium from the university, pays players out of revenues, etc

Is there a required correlation between the Name Image and Likeness of the athlete and the compensation that they receive?

Simple example. I manufacture bobbleheads. I propose making a bobblehead of PSU QB Drew Allar. They would sell for $20.00 per unit. Drew would get $1.00 per unit sold.

PSU fans purchase 1,000,00 bobbleheads. Drew earns $1,000,000 NIL.

If there is no meaningful 'work requirement' that transparently compensates them for their contributions and no monetary caps, then I have significantly decreased interest in supporting college athletics in this form moving forward.

Reactions: RickinDayton
IDK what will happen. I've been suggesting a decline in CFB with a 20team super league and a return to an 80-90s style for everyone else(PSU included).
But, it wouldn't be a 20 team league--they need at least 40 for it to work.
And, even then, NIL is still going to exist at the second level. So will pay for play.
I just don't understand what people think is happening here.
We don't have to like change but it's not going away. If you don't want to watch then go.

If there is no meaningful 'work requirement' that transparently compensates them for their contributions and no monetary caps, then I have significantly decreased interest in supporting college athletics in this form moving forward.

Good Luck Charlie What GIF

Do any PSU players have a deal that's worth even 1/4th of $9.5 million?

Is there a required correlation between the Name Image and Likeness of the athlete and the compensation that they receive?

Simple example. I manufacture bobbleheads. I propose making a bobblehead of PSU QB Drew Allar. They would sell for $20.00 per unit. Drew would get $1.00 per unit sold.

PSU fans purchase 1,000,00 bobbleheads. Drew earns $1,000,000 NIL.

I do not believe there is such a correlation. It is the wild west.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT