ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Palm has us back in the NY6

Who gets in over them if they do lose?

OSU, I can see the argument there, but they will be a similar 1 loss team.

Then who? It's a bunch of 2 loss teams that aren't division winners. Do you want Bama put in over TCU? Over USC?

Ummmm...... USC is a 2-loss team if they lose. Honestly, I could see a 2-loss Bama going over a TCU team that loses to a 3-loss K-State.

I mean--tell me a 24 team playoff wouldn't be better

Georgia Region
17 Notre Dame at 16 Oregon State (winner at 1 Georgia)
24 Ohio at 9 Clemson (winner at 8 Penn State)

Michigan Region
18 UCLA at 15 Florida State (winner at 2 Michigan)
23 Boise State at 10 Washington (winner at 7 Tennessee)

TCU Region
19 Tulane at 14 Utah (winner at 3 TCU)
22 Troy at 11 Oregon (winner at 6 Alabama)

USC Region
20 South Carolina at 13 Kansas State (winner at 4 USC)
21 UTSA at 12 LSU (winner at 5 Ohio State)

Infinitely better than this garbage we have this weekend

Beating Tulane does what exactly?
It gives us an 11-win season which is what matters most at the end of the day. A loss (and maybe bad loss) to a better team in the bowl game will be a huge disappointment based on how this team bounced back after '20/'21 seasons. We need a bowl win to give this team as much momentum going into next season for recruiting, team and PSU nation morale.

If we aren’t in the NY6, then we are playing an 8-4 SEC team like Ole Miss or Miss St in the Citrus. Is that better? I’d rather make the better bowl and play a nominally higher ranked team (particularly Tulane if they go 11-2) but is also easier to defeat.
Yes, it’s better. I don’t think most people care other than against a named opponent. I don’t think Tulane helps us at all. Ratings will be lower and nobody will care if we win. If we lose it looks really bad.

USC is undoubtedly in the NY6 over LSU in the first scenario. You think they’d rank 11-2 USC below 9-4 LSU when both just lost a CCG? USC would be in the Cotton.

That being said, I think TCU stays above Bama with a loss and goes to the CFP if both TCU and USC loses.
How? the Sugar has to take an SEC team. USC will be ranked higher
TCU would be higher than USC hence TCU to the COtton
USC is out

If LSU knocks off UGa.... hysterical. LSU is mediocre and the SEC CCG is an awful game. LSU never should have been ranked 5 and they're fortunate to only have 3 losses at this point.

Agree that LSU was graded on the usual SEC inflation curve and, yes, they'll obviously be an underdog against Georgia, but here's the thing: A) the Dawgs are likely in the playoff win or lose (assuming they don't get curb-stomped), which takes an edge off their motivation factor; and B) we've seen a lot of strange games this year where clearly weaker teams beat clearly stronger teams. It happened in College Station yesterday. In Iowa City on Friday. And the list goes on. That SEC championship game is not a foregone conclusion for Georgia.

It gives us an 11-win season which is what matters most at the end of the day. A loss (and maybe bad loss) to a better team in the bowl game will be a huge disappointment based on how this team bounced back after '20/'21 seasons. We need a bowl win to give this team as much momentum going into next season for recruiting, team and PSU nation morale.

Not only gives us an 11-win season and a NY6 Bowl win, but also a very high end of season ranking going into next year with all the key ingredients, and an improving team, returning.

Why? They absolutely will. They have 2 road losses on final plays of the game
Do you think TCU beats Alabama if they play?
Sure TCU could. Texas almost did. Bama is a great team but hardly the unstoppable juggernaut of years past. The mere fact that they lost to LSU shows that pretty good but nothing great teams are capable of beating them.

It would be a huge insult if a 10-2 Bama goes in over a 12-1 TCU. That’s the epitome of being penalized by playing in your CCG.

Last edited:
Not only gives us an 11-win season and a NY6 Bowl win, but also a very high end of season ranking going into next year with all the key ingredients, and an improving team, returning.
EXACTLY!!!
I think a team like Clemson or Oregon would beat us by at least 14 pts. PSU hasn't learned how to beat a better team yet. Nothing about how we played the last 4 games has changed my mind about that. Our last 4 wins were against teams that went 4-12 in their last 4 games. We know how to beat inferior teams. Let's leave it at that this season and go for the 11th win against a comparable or even inferior team in the bowl game.

Sure TCU could. Texas almost did. Bama is a great team but hardly the unstoppable juggernaut of years past. The mere fact that they lost to LSU shows that pretty but nothing great teams are capable of beating them.

It would be a huge insult if a 10-2 Bama goes in over a 12-1 TCU. That’s the epitome of being penalized by playing in your CCG.
Then we disagree. Alabama would be a large favorite over TCU
That's the Big XII's fault for adding a CCG though--it's the risk they take

I had Bama in the playoffs in that scenario
Under that USC is out
I did this as scenario 2 but in the first scenario USC gets screwed
Admittedly I was thrown off by you putting LSU in the Sugar since the only way they there is by beating Georgia. Assuming they lose as expected, Bama or Tennessee are going to the Sugar, not LSU.

I suppose if both USC and TCU lose and the committee has an aneurysm and puts Bama unfairly in the playoffs, then USC could get screwed by the bowl tie ins with conferences.

That being said, I think TCU stays above Bama with a loss and goes to the CFP if both TCU and USC loses.

I don't see how Bama can jump a 1 loss TCU. Bama would have a loss to a 4 loss LSU by the time its said and done.

Also, is the Hooker being out angle enough to keep Bama above Tennessee? UT just thumped Vandy.

Why? They absolutely will. They have 2 road losses on final plays of the game
Do you think TCU beats Alabama if they play?

Yes. They won't be favored, but they share an opponent. TCU was never in doubt, they beat Texas. Bama struggled and probably only won because Ewers got hurt. Still needed a late FG.

LSU loss continues to plummet. They should have won that game and the only concern would be "where do we rank them?"

Admittedly I was thrown off by you putting LSU in the Sugar since the only way they there is by beating Georgia. Assuming they lose as expected, Bama or Tennessee are going to the Sugar, not LSU.

I suppose if both USC and TCU lose and the committee has an aneurysm and puts Bama unfairly in the playoffs, then USC could get screwed by the bowl tie ins with conferences.
Then we just disagree on if Alabama should be 4 then. I don't see how TCU would fall behind them. The committee has been dying to push TCU back lol

Then we disagree. Alabama would be a large favorite over TCU
The committee already forced that by rating CCG winnings higher than conference winners who didn’t play a championship game - they established that in the first CFP when tOSU jumped the Big 12 champ (TCU!) in the last poll by winning a CCG. It’s also reflected that Notre Dame has a harder road by not having a CCG to play in.

Yes. They won't be favored, but they share an opponent. TCU was never in doubt, they beat Texas. Bama struggled and probably only won because Ewers got hurt. Still needed a late FG.

LSU loss continues to plummet. They should have won that game and the only concern would be "where do we rank them?"
I don't disagree with your logic. I just don't believe for a second TCU losing their CCG keeps them ahead of Alabama. Although if LSU beats Georgia (lol they won't) then Bama's resume gets even better. For sake of argument--let's say Georgia, Michigan, Utah and K-State win

I'm guessing the top 10 would be
Georgia/Michigan/Ohio State/Alabama/TCU/Tennessee/USC/Penn State

So top 4 in the playoffs
Rose: Utah vs. Penn State (highest Big Ten vs. Pac XII title)
Orange: ACC vs. Tennessee (next highest SEC)
Sugar: K-State vs. LSU (next highest SEC/Big Ten/ND--maybe ND gets in though)
Cotton: TCU (ranked higher than USC) vs. Tulane (G5)

It's ugly

Reactions: lazydave841
I don't disagree with your logic. I just don't believe for a second TCU losing their CCG keeps them ahead of Alabama. Although if LSU beats Georgia (lol they won't) then Bama's resume gets even better. For sake of argument--let's say Georgia, Michigan, Utah and K-State win

I'm guessing the top 10 would be
Georgia/Michigan/Ohio State/Alabama/TCU/Tennessee/USC/Penn State

So top 4 in the playoffs
Rose: Utah vs. Penn State (highest Big Ten vs. Pac XII title)
Orange: ACC vs. Tennessee (next highest SEC)
Sugar: K-State vs. LSU (next highest SEC/Big Ten/ND--maybe ND gets in though)
Cotton: TCU (ranked higher than USC) vs. Tulane (G5)

It's ugly
Sugar gets the highest non CFP SEC, not Orange. Orange gets the ACC champ vs highest SEC/B10/Notre Dame after the CFP and Rose/Sugar. You would need to switch Tenn and LSU in your scenario

According to so many, particularly the Franklin haters that downplay his major bowl victories and those that believe if you don't win the national championship you had a disappointing year, bowl games are truly meaningless.

Sugar gets the highest non CFP SEC, not Orange. Orange gets the ACC champ vs highest SEC/B10/Notre Dame after the CFP and Rose/Sugar. You would need to switch Tenn and LSU in your scenario
I apologize--I though the Orange had the first pick this year. Switch those then--thanks for the correction. Either way LSU still gets in unless ND is ranked higher

They had to. 2014. They had TCU and Baylor at 4 and 5 (unsure of the order). OSU at 6 play a ccg and got bumped up to 4 from 6.

As many have argued, the committee does what it wants year to year, but these things have rang true.

1 loss > 2 losses
CCG win > no CCG win
1 loss, no CCG > 2 loss CCG win/loser

The hierarchy should be:

1. Uga - in regardless
2. Michigan - in regardless as well
3. TCU - in regardless
4. USC - in with win, out with loss
5. OSU - in with USC loss

2 loss teams can whine and cry, but win more should be the lesson.

We disagree but I guess we'll see. I think everyone underestimates how great the SEC is considered by the committee.
The committee has been consistent in not taking teams with more losses than other contenders. Taking 10-2 Bama over 12-1 TCU would be a big break from precedent (admittedly though a different scenario in some ways than any in the past).

They had to. 2014. They had TCU and Baylor at 4 and 5 (unsure of the order). OSU at 6 play a ccg and got bumped up to 4 from 6.

As many have argued, the committee does what it wants year to year, but these things have rang true.

1 loss > 2 losses
CCG win > no CCG win

The hierarchy should be:

1. Uga - in regardless
3. TCU - in regardless

I hope it happens so we see
I fully believe Bama gets in but that's not how I'd rank them
Ohio State being a brand got them in over TCU and Baylor

We disagree but I guess we'll see. I think everyone underestimates how great the SEC is considered by the committee.

I could see Tennessee jumping bama in the final ranking tbh. The committee has had weird shuffles the final poll in the past and h2h matters once resumes are similar.

Seems like we declined (“opted out”) in the COVID year didn’t we; thus missing the opportunity to avoid a losing season
COVID may have had special exemptions but, no, we can't opt out--it's money for the conference

The CCGs shouldn't be part of the playoff/bowl rankings. Teams should be rated based off of the 12-game regular season schedule. The CCGs should only be for bragging rights.
I get your sentiment but really? In this day and age where projected NFL draft picks are reluctant to take the field for anything beyond what is required you expect them to strap them on just for bragging rights? Come on you are smarter than that.

I could see Tennessee jumping bama in the final ranking tbh. The committee has had weird shuffles the final poll in the past and h2h matters once resumes are similar.
I mean, anything is possible. Saban's already pushing Bama hard for the playoffs. If they're 6 on Tuesday it gets interesting.

Only couch coaches could find a way to downgrade a possible 11 win season, a NY6 bowl win and a top 6 or 7 finish. I understand that such a disaster is a difficult pill to swallow.

1 loss > 2 losses
CCG win > no CCG win

The hierarchy should be:

1. Uga - in regardless
3. TCU - in regardless

I totally agree with what you are saying but would quibble with TCU is “in regardless”. If USC wins and TCU loses, I think tOSU likely takes the TCU spot in the CFP - though the committee could go either way

I apologize--I though the Orange had the first pick this year. Switch those then--thanks for the correction. Either way LSU still gets in unless ND is ranked higher

Orange also has stipulations with picking its teams. I'm guessing it's an 8 year deal. big 10 3 times, sec 3 times, ND can be picked no more than 2 times. I don't know how the rankings affect it, and I don't know when this began to look back.

Highest ranked non 4-Team Invitational SEC team is locked into Sugar - the bowls don't pick first, second, etc... anymore.

Yes, assuming they are in the top 4 after the 12-game regular season. The CCGs are an EXTRA game that the rest of the teams don't get a chance to WIN or LOSE. It shouldn't wreck a perfect 12-0 season. If they playoff committee felt they should be there at the end of the regular season, they should stay there.
Well several conferences play an extra conference game during the season and they get penalized for it so...

Reactions: doctornick
Things get interesting if TCU & USC both losee

Then it's probably
1 Georgia vs. 4 Alabama
2 Michigan vs. 3 Ohio State

Rose: Utah vs Penn State
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Tennessee
Sugar: LSU (with 4 losses lol) vs K-State
Cotton: TCU vs. Tulane/G5

Somehow USC gets left out because of tie-ins

Maybe TCU stays at 4 in that scenario with
Rose the same
Orange: Clemson/UNC vs. Alabama
Sugar: Alabama vs. K-State
Cotton: USC vs. Tulane/G5

Meanwhile, Kevin Warren lobbies for Ohio State to make the playoff regardless. Link below.

Kevin says yesterday's game is a statement on "how strong Big-10 football is." Gag.

Sorry, Kevin. Not gonna happen unless USC or TCU loses their conference championship game.

But it does put us in a no-lose position: The Bucks get denied and the howls of outrage from the Big-10 front office will be sweet to hear; or the Bucks get in, and we go to the Rose Bowl.

I know I will be rooting for USC and TCU to keep the The Ohio State out of the playoff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT