ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl guru Palm has us back in the NY6

While your last sentence is VERY true, I prefer the match-up vs. Tulane for the following reasons...

1. We will be favored to win...maybe 80/20...70/30 depending on opt - outs?
2. Ending this season on a potential win...given the last 2 seasons.
3. James record vs. SEC in Bowl games not great
4. Cliff will still be out starter and I like him better vs. Tulane, rather than #3/4 SEC or even Clemson / Oregon.

Maybe lame excuses, but for this year / this team, Ill take Tulane and (hopefully) a win and built on that for next year.

Now put yourself in the place of a player on this year's team or a fan likely to attend the bowl game.

Explain to me why you would rather play the likes of Tulane in Dallas versus an SEC team in Orlando. I can't see that one from the perspective of a player or anyone who would like to be entertained.

Now put yourself in the place of a player on this year's team or a fan likely to attend the bowl game.

Explain to me why you would rather play the likes of Tulane in Dallas versus an SEC team in Orlando. I can't see that one from the perspective of a player or anyone who would like to be entertained.
well...from a players perspective...I dont think they care who they play. A NY6 Bowl is a great reward in itself.

I certainly see your point about fans traveling there - for sure! BEATING ANY SEC team in that type of Bowl would be great. But I go back to Franklin...can he win these type games (see Mich, OSU and even USC in the Rose)?

Tulane isn’t exciting in the least but does a 4 or 5 loss sec team really get your motor running? There is no great outcome unless usc or tcu get upset.

This is not only terrible for us, it's terrible for the NY6 overall.

Dallas in the winter against the likes of Tulane? The system screwed itself. I could drive there for the game and would still not attend.

From the football standpoint, I disagree, Knight, for reasons expressed elsewhere in the thread.

From the weather standpoint, keep in mind, this is not your granddaddy's Cotton Bowl. The venue has been moved to the indoor comfort of Jerry World where the sun always shines and the temperature is always pleasant...once you make it into the building.

Outside the building, Dallas in the winter is a total crapshoot. You might get perfectly fine weather or you might get the Texas equivalent of the frozen tundra. Ice storms are a particular hazard. I had personal experience with this while stationed in Texas during the winter of 1977-78.

For example, who can forget the 1979 Cotton Bowl where Notre Dame's Joe Montana led a comeback for the ages to beat Houston while battling ice and below-zero wind chill. Absolutely God-awful conditions in which to play a football game.

I still think USC isn’t a shoe in for beating Utah. This will be their third tough game in a row. It isn’t at home. And if that happens, tOSU is in the playoffs and PSU is in the rose

Reactions: NedFromYork
Cotton versus Tulane.

He says only an LSU upset of Georgia might knock that off track.

His Playoff 4: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC...in that order. (Sorry, Psugo.)

Hey don't be sorry: this was only my thoughts. I can't stand Ohio State and even though I hate usc also I hate usc FAR LESS than I hate Ohio State...so if Ohio State is left out...it's even BETTER.

Reactions: psuno1 and Jerry
Tulane isn’t exciting in the least but does a 4 or 5 loss sec team really get your motor running? There is no great outcome unless usc or tcu get upset.
The “great” outcome would be if we were ranked above Tenn (or Bama) and went to the Orange vs Clemson. IMHO.

There’s also some saying that the Rose might prefer PSU over tOSU again and allow the Buckeyes to go to the Orange instead. I don’t think it’s true and not sure if it would even be allowed, but it would be a great outcome if it were to happen. I feel like if both the Rose and Big Ten were okay with it, maybe it’s possible.

Under Franklin, I can think of 2 uninspired efforts against SEC teams in Florida Bowls (losses to Kentucky and Arkansas). It doesn't appear that going to these bowls is highly motivating to the team. Add to that potential opt outs, weakening our secondary, and lining us up for a throttling in the trenches. With all that considered, until the expanded playoffs, I'm perfectly fine with being the favorite in the Cotton Bowl. It was an exciting game last time, and had us lined up for a big season with Parsons coming back. Then covid hit.

Reactions: psuno1 and Jerry
C
Ummmm....., we won't know which team goes to which Bowl until after the CCGs next week. The Final CFP Rankings aren't published until the Sunday afternoon after the CC Games
I meant to say the middle of the week after this upcoming weekend. I know they have some type of bowl special but can't remember.

From the football standpoint, I disagree, Knight, for reasons expressed elsewhere in the thread.

From the weather standpoint, keep in mind, this is not your granddaddy's Cotton Bowl. The venue has been moved to the indoor comfort of Jerry World where the sun always shines and the temperature is always pleasant...once you make it into the building.

Outside the building, Dallas in the winter is a total crapshoot. You might get perfectly fine weather or you might get the Texas equivalent of the frozen tundra. Ice storms are a particular hazard. I had personal experience with this while stationed in Texas during the winter of 1977-78.

For example, who can forget the 1979 Cotton Bowl where Notre Dame's Joe Montana led a comeback for the ages to beat Houston while battling ice and below-zero wind chill. Absolutely God-awful conditions in which to play a football game.

I spent most of my life in Texas (not Dallas) and have the experience of finding indoor things to do in the Dallas area. Trust me, unless you're just going for shopping and maybe bars/restaurants, there are not enough indoor things that would be special to be worth a long trip. I can think of a few museums and an indoor zoo that is truly special, but none of it adds up to accommodating tens of thousands of visitors all at once.

Orlando, on the other hand, offers much more. Even Miami would give you some beaches. One advantage to Dallas -- you would be able to find some less expensive hotels within a commute compared to Florida that time of year. Snowbirds flood the state.

If we get the cotton it is a bit of a let down. There aren't even any undefeated or 1 loss highly ranked G5 teams. Maybe they'll move Tulane up to give the appearance of them belonging? But this team deserves to measure themselves against Bama or Clemson.
It's a NY6 bowl--no way is it a let down. I went in 2019 and it was a great experience. Yes, it was against Memphis but still a major bowl and major exposure.

The “great” outcome would be if we were ranked above Tenn (or Bama) and went to the Orange vs Clemson. IMHO.

There’s also some saying that the Rose might prefer PSU over tOSU again and allow the Buckeyes to go to the Orange instead. I don’t think it’s true and not sure if it would even be allowed, but it would be a great outcome if it were to happen. I feel like if both the Rose and Big Ten were okay with it, maybe it’s possible.

It doesn’t matter what the big ten or rose bowl want. The contracts are written and the sec isn’t going to let the rose bowl/big ten manipulate the system to screw the sec out of an orange bowl bid. If you’re just talking scenarios where we have an ob bid locked up I doubt they’d want to set the precedent.

It's a NY6 bowl--no way is it a let down. I went in 2019 and it was a great experience. Yes, it was against Memphis but still a major bowl and major exposure.
If cotton, I'm staying home. I would travel for other NY6 games but have zero interest in Dallas or seeing us play Tulane in person.

This is not only terrible for us, it's terrible for the NY6 overall.

Dallas in the winter against the likes of Tulane? The system screwed itself. I could drive there for the game and would still not attend.
I went in 2019 and it was a good time. I guess it is the attitude you bring and what you make of it.

I spent most of my life in Texas (not Dallas) and have the experience of finding indoor things to do in the Dallas area. Trust me, unless you're just going for shopping and maybe bars/restaurants, there are not enough indoor things that would be special to be worth a long trip. I can think of a few museums and an indoor zoo that is truly special, but none of it adds up to accommodating tens of thousands of visitors all at once.

Orlando, on the other hand, offers much more. Even Miami would give you some beaches. One advantage to Dallas -- you would be able to find some less expensive hotels within a commute compared to Florida that time of year. Snowbirds flood the state.

We had plenty to do in 2019. Flew in from west coast (ironically, we live in Pasadena so obviously the Rose is our preference) and there were great breweries, BBQ, the book depository museum, etc.

USC or TCU lose and we are Rose Bowl bound against Utah or Oregon. If Purdue wins, the Rose has to take them (so Citrus for PSU)?

As a young Marine corporal in 1978, I was stationed in San Angelo, 250 miles west of Dallas, and made the mistake of taking a bus to the city during a frozen holiday weekend in February, right after an ice storm. Anything to escape the base for a few days.

Really dumb idea. Not a damn thing to do in Dallas. In February. In the freezing cold. Just after an ice storm. Without a car. So I made the second mistake of taking a taxi to a place called the Redbird Mall, several miles outside the city, to see a movie (The Boys in Company C). But when the movie was over around 10:00, I was aghast to find out city taxis weren't servicing that location in the late evening because of the weather. Freakin' Texas, man. A little ice and the whole state shuts down.

So I was stranded at the Redbird Mall several miles outside Dallas...and they were closing the mall for the evening. I walked up onto an Interstate...wasn't sure I was headed in the right direction. It was freezing. I walked...and walked...but no sign of Dallas. I had misplaced an entire city. Then a car pulled up. No idea who was driving, and at that point I didn't care. Turned out to be an off-duty police officer who drove me into Dallas and deposited me at the front door of my hotel.

Man, if not for that officer, I might still be out there. Anyway, that's my Dallas-in-winter story...

Reactions: KnightWhoSaysNit
That part is the same. But, should either UGA or UM lose, they will have played other P5 team(s) with 1/2 losses. TCU will have had 2 games against a 3-loss P5 team if they lose. That isn’t the same.

Brand bias. Would anybody put down an undefeated Oklahoma?

You know why. We didn’t play Illinois. We beat Purdue.

I see what you did there. Comprehend!

I don't think Boise or UTSA are good but they have the win total and are likely going to be conference champs
Yes, I'd have Illinois ahead of Purdue. Illinois lost 3 games against the Big Ten East plus gave Michigan a hell of a game. Purdue's loss to Syracuse is really, really bad so was the Iowa loss.
I don't think anyone from the Big Ten West should be ranked honestly.
You agree South Carolina and Miss State will likely be ranked though? If so, then it's unlikely Purdue

Purdue beat Illinois on the field. Same records. Purdue > Illinois. Illinois played Michigan better than PSU did. Irrelevant when they lost twice as many games.

Winning lousy conferences isn't grounds for rankings. If you are 12-0, 11-1, maybe. Who would these teams be favored over? They have no P5 wins. Hard to say they'd beat anyone, record or not.

3. James record vs. SEC in Bowl games not great

Agreed, but we've been bumped up into games vs better teams because we draw. At least last year vs Arkansas. UK, maybe, maybe not. Definitely vs UGA in that bowl.

It would be good to get a 8-4 opponent and win. In 5 years, the general public won't remember the circumstances. Hell, we as fans barely do.

USC or TCU lose and we are Rose Bowl bound against Utah or Oregon. If Purdue wins, the Rose has to take them (so Citrus for PSU)?

If a TCU loss is what puts us into the Rose Washington is likely the opponent. They're already ahead of Utah and should be the second highest ranked pac12 team, which the rose bowl is obligated to select.

Purdue beat Illinois on the field. Same records. Purdue > Illinois. Illinois played Michigan better than PSU did. Irrelevant when they lost twice as many games.

Not only did Purdue beat Illinois. They beat Illinois @ Illinois. Lando's already told us how valuable road wins are. Guess this isn't one of those though. He throws the Syracuse loss in Purdue's face when Illinois' losses to MSU and Indiana are worse. A lot worse. Cuse finished 7-5. MSU and Indiana were 5-7 and 4-8 respectively. Purdue didn't lose to anyone with a losing record.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
It doesn’t matter what the big ten or rose bowl want. The contracts are written and the sec isn’t going to let the rose bowl/big ten manipulate the system to screw the sec out of an orange bowl bid. If you’re just talking scenarios where we have an ob bid locked up I doubt they’d want to set the precedent.
While I’m skeptical it would be allowed to happen, no conference would lose a NY6 bid - it would potentially just be a shift of the SEC having a team in the Cotton instead of the Orange (and vice versa for the Big Ten).

I know the bowls have some say to avoid rematches from the regular season and such, but not sure if they’d be allowed to make this kind of shift.

Not only did Purdue beat Illinois. They beat Illinois @ Illinois. Lando's already told us how valuable road wins are. Guess this isn't one of those though. He throws the Syracuse loss in Purdue's face when Illinois' losses to MSU and Indiana are worse. A lot worse. Cuse finished 7-5. MSU and Indiana were 5-7 and 4-8 respectively. Purdue didn't lose to anyone with a losing record.
Road wins against quality/ranked teams are valuable
No, Purdue's loss to Syracuse was worse--don't let their record fool you. They collapsed in ACC play and struggled to beat BC.
Teams aren't judged on head to head. See Alabama ahead of Tennessee with the same record. They're judged on the entire resume

To those who enjoyed Dallas in January, I would bet that it was your first leisure trip to the city and that you were lucky to have good weather. So maybe you went to the 6th Floor museum and maybe the zoo. What would be next? That's the problem I see. Sure, you might have a good time in a big city that is new to you, but a 2nd or 3rd time? Over all there is to do in Florida? I'm not seeing it.

As a young Marine corporal in 1978, I was stationed in San Angelo, 250 miles west of Dallas, and made the mistake of taking a bus to the city during a frozen holiday weekend in February, right after an ice storm. Anything to escape the base for a few days.

Really dumb idea. Not a damn thing to do in Dallas. In February. In the freezing cold. Just after an ice storm. Without a car. So I made the second mistake of taking a taxi to a place called the Redbird Mall, several miles outside the city, to see a movie (The Boys in Company C). But when the movie was over around 10:00, I was aghast to find out city taxis weren't servicing that location in the late evening because of the weather. Freakin' Texas, man. A little ice and the whole state shuts down.

So I was stranded at the Redbird Mall several miles outside Dallas...and they were closing the mall for the evening. I walked up onto an Interstate...wasn't sure I was headed in the right direction. It was freezing. I walked...and walked...but no sign of Dallas. I had misplaced an entire city. Then a car pulled up. No idea who was driving, and at that point I didn't care. Turned out to be an off-duty police officer who drove me into Dallas and deposited me at the front door of my hotel.

Man, if not for that officer, I might still be out there. Anyway, that's my Dallas-in-winter story...

Dallas has more these days, even somewhat of a subway. But you would still be dependent on a car, bus, or taxi service to get to anything. If you have never been there or it has been a while, I would spend some time in the museum district in Dallas, and then maybe a drive over to the Fort Worth Stockyards. That would be something different for someone from the Northeast. It's not stuff I would repeat though, which is why I'm not big on the Cotton Bowl, opponent aside.

Reactions: Jerry
Don't you really like how he bounces between his opinions and the committees when he's conversing?

No, Purdue's loss to Syracuse was worse--don't let their record fool you. They collapsed in ACC play and struggled to beat BC.
Teams aren't judged on head to head. See Alabama ahead of Tennessee with the same record. They're judged on the entire resume

Man, your anti-Purdue rhetoric is getting old. You shift and shift and shift. Purdue and Illinois have the same record. Purdue won h2h. Illinois also lost to Indiana, whom Purdue beat. The Syracuse loss isn't strong enough to overturn every other thing in Purdue’s favor.

And I thought the reason Bama was over UT was because Hooker was out and we didn't know how Milton would do? Now the committee doesn't care about h2h?

You really seem to be fearful that Purdue is going to get ranked and that might have someone call you out on it. It's OK. They aren't a good team.

Reactions: Jerry

Purdue has no losses to teams with losing records.
Illinois has two losses to teams with losing records.

Purdue beat 3 p5 teams with winnings records.
Illinois beat one.

Purdue best P5 wins. 8-4 Illinois. 8-4 Minnesota. 7-5 Maryland.
Illinois best P5 wins. 7-5 Iowa. 6-6 Wisconsin. 4-8 Nebraska.

Just stop.

Don't you really like how he bounces between his opinions and the committees when he's conversing?

Man, your anti-Purdue rhetoric is getting old. You shift and shift and shift. Purdue and Illinois have the same record. Purdue won h2h. Illinois also lost to Indiana, whom Purdue beat. The Syracuse loss isn't strong enough to overturn every other thing in Purdue’s favor.

And I thought the reason Bama was over UT was because Hooker was out and we didn't know how Milton would do? Now the committee doesn't care about h2h?

You really seem to be fearful that Purdue is going to get ranked and that might have someone call you out on it. It's OK. They aren't a good team.

If Purdue beats Michigan, Lando's head will explode.

In fact, gosh knows what he will he say if Purdue even keeps it close.

Personally, I don't expect the Boilers to get blown out next weekend. Purdue is a good team. And our win on the road in the opener was a good win...both then and now.

Tennessee fell behind Clemson, which they shouldn't have because of Hooker--maybe Alabama too--probably but it's never been about H2H.

I'm not anti-Purdue. Purdue nor Illinois should be ranked. If I was going to rank one higher it would be Illinois. I think as of right now they're the better team. See the Michigan game.

Not worried at all that Purdue gets ranked--if they are we'll have a quality win until Michigan beats them

If Purdue beats Michigan, Lando's head will explode.

In fact, gosh knows what he will he say if Purdue even keeps it close.

Personally, I don't expect the Boilers to get blown out next weekend. Purdue is a good team. And our win on the road in the opener was a good win...both then and now.
No I won't. I'd love it if that happened.
Purdue is not a good team though and you'll likely see that next weekend

Tennessee fell behind Clemson, which they shouldn't have because of Hooker--maybe Alabama too--probably but it's never been about H2H.

Clemson had 1 loss. As pitiful as the ACC is, they were still going to be ranked over a 2 loss team missing their QB.

Bama doesn't have a better resume than Tennessee. The only place they are better is none of their losses are as bad as Tennessee to South Carolina. Tennessee also beat Bamas other loss, big time.

The only justification was Hooker was out. And I can support that. H2h should matter when the records are the same. Imagine if they put Bama over LSU last week while they both had 2 losses. Wonder why they didn't? H2h.

Clemson had 1 loss. As pitiful as the ACC is, they were still going to be ranked over a 2 loss team missing their QB.

Bama doesn't have a better resume than Tennessee. The only place they are better is none of their losses are as bad as Tennessee to South Carolina. Tennessee also beat Bamas other loss, big time.

The only justification was Hooker was out. And I can support that. H2h should matter when the records are the same. Imagine if they put Bama over LSU last week while they both had 2 losses. Wonder why they didn't? H2h.
Clemson had zero quality wins. Bama and Tennessee should have been ahead of them
I mean, that South Carolina loss was really bad though I agree
H2H isn't a think though--the committee said repeatedly in the past it's not part of the consideration--should it be? maybe but I don't think Purdue beating Illinois makes them better than them. I don't think Oregon State is better than Oregon but they were yesterday. Same with A&M and LSU.

Clemson had zero quality wins. Bama and Tennessee should have been ahead of them
I mean, that South Carolina loss was really bad though I agree
H2H isn't a think though--the committee said repeatedly in the past it's not part of the consideration--should it be? maybe but I don't think Purdue beating Illinois makes them better than them. I don't think Oregon State is better than Oregon but they were yesterday. Same with A&M and LSU.

It's literally stated on their website in multiple sections.

Proposed Selection Process:
Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head‐to‐head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie‐breaker; apply specific guidelines).

"2. PRINCIPLES
  • The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance."

Establish a committee that will be instructed to place an emphasis on winning conference championships, strength of schedule and head‐to‐head competition when comparing teams with similar records and pedigree (treat final determination like a tie‐breaker; apply specific guidelines).

"2. PRINCIPLES
  • The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance."

Facts (such as cutting & pasting the Actual Rule and applicable A.R.s..... or the ACTUAL ranking process as you've done here) are meaningless to this moron as he just keeps making it up as he goes along.

"2. PRINCIPLES
    • Strength of schedule,
Fair enough--on multiple occasions they've said otherwise see Ohio State/Penn State

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT