ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking from Pennlive Curley and Shultz plead guilty.

So it's very possible that Curley didn't know the nature of the investigation?
Given that we don't know anything at this time beyond what was memorialized in those emails, it's possible that Curley didn't know the nature of the investigation, correct. That said, given the context of the emails I find it highly unlikely that Curley wasn't at the very least made aware of the reason why his defensive coordinator was undergoing a criminal investigation. While we don't know in what fashion he was made aware, he knew the day after the report was filed by the boy's mother that there was some kind of accusation of abuse against Jerry involving two boys that police were investigating. I don't think it's a leap to suggest that Curley, as an intelligent man, knew that there are a limited amount of potential crimes that fit in that category. We also know that under oath in 2011 he testifed that the 1998 incident was never brought to his attention.

But anything beyond that is speculation.

I'd love to find out for sure, to be honest with you. We know he was aware in some form of 1998 in 2001, contrary to his 2011 testimony. As far as the 1998 emails go, we know at the very least that Curley was aware that DPW and the university police were involved in the investigation and a child psychologist had interviewed the two boys. Curley repeatedly asked Schultz for status updates into the investigation starting on 5/13/98 and for several weeks after (including mentioning that "Coach" was anxious to know where the investigation stood), and Schultz ended up telling Curley that a meeting was held with Jerry, that authorities concluded no criminal behavior occurred and the investigation was closed. Spanier was copied on all of those emails, but there's obviously no way to tell whether or not he actually read them. Spanier didn't respond to any emails in 1998.

Spanier is also involved in a 5/16/98 email with a subject line of "Joe Paterno" from Curley to Schultz, with Spanier copied. Curley wrote "I have touched base with the coach. Keep us posted. Thanks." Schultz responded (again with Spanier copied) "Will do. Since we talked tonight I learned that the Public Welfare people will interview the individual Thursday."

I think we can all agree that of all the admins Schutlz knew the most detail about '98. And what Schultz knew about '98 was provided to him by Harmon. Harmon told Schultz that LE determined nothing criminal happened. So what exactly is the big deal about PSU folks "knowing" about 1998? What they knew, if anything, was that it was investigated and closed as "nothing to see here" by the experts.

I haven't excluded MM from any mistakes. I think everyone including MM wishes he picked up the phone and dialed 911 right away I imagine. Just a guess there, but I would have to think that crossed his mind at some point if not every day. Either way...that milk is spilt. We can't clean it up and that is on him. Yeah...he may have won his case, but like many others...Jerry turned his life upside down. The amount of lives and people one man screwed up is incredible.

I can't believe MM didnt make some sort of written or recorced official statement on the record to someone in 2001. I would have insisted on it to protect my own a$$. That's why it's hard to believe the 2010 version of his story.

I think we can all agree that of all the admins Schutlz knew the most detail about '98. And what Schultz knew about '98 was provided to him by Harmon. Harmon told Schultz that LE determined nothing criminal happened. So what exactly is the big deal about PSU folks "knowing" about 1998? What they knew, if anything, was that it was investigated and closed as "nothing to see here" by the experts.
I agree with you that Schultz appears to have been the main conduit between the police department and Old Main. That said, the only information we have is what's memorialized in emails, so it's impossible to say with certainty beyond that.

And largely I agree with you that it doesn't appear to be a huge issue whether or not they were aware of 1998. But if everything occurred above board in 1998, why would you say under oath in 2011 that you were never informed of the 1998 incident? Why the change to use strange, vague language throughout the 2001 emails ("his organization", "the subject we discussed", "the individual", "his guests", "the first situation", etc.) when in 1998 they referred to all of those things specifically by name - except when referring to who is presumably Joe? And what do we make of the October 1998 meeting at the football building with the Schreffler, Ralston, Sloane, Gricar, and Fran Ganter?

That is where you would be wrong.

According the STD, Gricar held a tête-à-tête with Schultz and Curley, DPW, CYS and all the other actors from 1998 and told them he would not press charges so long as the PSU boys kept Sandusky under control. You see, Ray knew the importance of football to the local community and if anything untoward were to have been leaked about Sandusky, Penn State Success With Honor would have been known to be a complete lie. So, we can see that C&S knew exactly what had happened, and were immediately part of the conspiracy and cover-up from day one.

< end of sarcasm >

Reactions: Aloha T and WeR0206
I
The idea that Paterno's testimony was altered or read into the record improperly is ludicrous. This is where the vast conspiracy comes in.

Believe what you like. We'll find out soon enough.

I have never argued that that Paterno's testimony was altered or even read incorrectly (although the wording of what was read sounds very odd). I will tell you from being on juries that having testimony read to you that is not subject to cross examination is very low on the list of convincing evidence.

It would be inexplicable if TC & Shultz did not testify. They cannot take the 5th since they have made their pleas.

It wouldn't be inexplicable at all. The OAG knows what they are going to say because they've said it at least twice, including once during a federal investigation. They can't contradict the federal investigation. Therefore, if they testify, it will be for Spanier not the OAG.

I agree with you that Schultz appears to have been the main conduit between the police department and Old Main. That said, the only information we have is what's memorialized in emails, so it's impossible to say with certainty beyond that.

And largely I agree with you that it doesn't appear to be a huge issue whether or not they were aware of 1998. But if everything occurred above board in 1998, why would you say under oath in 2011 that you were never informed of the 1998 incident? Why the change to use strange, vague language throughout the 2001 emails ("his organization", "the subject we discussed", "the individual", "his guests", "the first situation", etc.) when in 1998 they referred to all of those things specifically by name - except when referring to who is presumably Joe? And what do we make of the October 1998 meeting at the football building with the Schreffler, Ralston, Sloane, Gricar, and Fran Ganter?

Um, because they were asked about something that occurred 12+ years in the past (in which they were told was no big deal at the time). That's why things such as SOL exist. But the state couldn't be bothered with trivial things such as the constitution and SOL, etc. apparently.

Re: their use of "code" language, others have discussed this before and it's pretty S.O.P. for higher ups/HR to do that re: any person/incident.

Reactions: dshumbero

IMO their testimony in 2011 would have been different if they knew the scope of what they were there to testify about beforehand. Thanks Cynthia. Getting hit with questions about an incident 10 years ago cold are hard to answer.

It is my belief that there are additional emails that may be brought to light in Spanier's case (if it goes to trial - my gut feeling is he will also accept a plea):

I'm trying to find, but can't seem to locate, the transcript of a court proceeding where an IT expert spoke about discovering pre-2000 emails on a remote server and recovering PSU emails related to this matter. He was a forensic IT guy - and his name is just escaping me...These were turned over to the OAG. If anyone can remember which court case, I would appreciate your help in finding the transcript (there have been so many!) I will keep looking.

I did find the two following interesting items:

From a 2014 article: http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-penn-state-spanier-email-request-20140910-story.html

"An attorney for ex-Penn State President Graham Spanier asked a judge Wednesday to order prosecutors to turn over internal emails previously thought destroyed but recovered for a review of the Jerry Sandusky investigation."

"It strains credulity that there would be only three email exchanges within the 20 million recovered emails that were responsive to the defendants' numerous discovery requests," she wrote.

And, new information from the latest filing in the Spanier v. Penn State case filed this week: http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/GRAHAM SPANIER VS PENN STATE ANSWER AND NEW MATTER TO THIRD AMENDED COMPLAINT.pdf

"Penn State admits that, on November 14, 2012, it sent individuals from its IT Department to Dr. Spanier's home to retrieve the desktop computer, laptop, iPad, and associated electronics it previously had provided to Dr. Spanier, admits that it terminated Dr. Spanier's access to the University's computer network, and that it directed IT support personnel not to contact Dr. Spanier."

You realize that it is Spanier that is asking PSU for the missing emails not the other way around. Which means that Spanier either knows there is exculpatory information in there, or at very least knows that their isn't evidence against him.

Guess again though. Or maybe go spend some energy railing against Michigan State.

I wonder when and what charges they would have pled guilty to if they hadn't been spending Penn State's money on their defense?

I wonder when and what charges would have been dropped if the OAG wasn't spending the citizen's money on their prosecution?

Reactions: WeR0206
Um, because they were asked about something that occurred 12+ years in the past (in which they were told was no big deal at the time). That's why things such as SOL exist. But the state couldn't be bothered with trivial things such as the constitution and SOL, etc. apparently.

Re: their use of "code" language, others have discussed this before and it's pretty S.O.P. for higher ups/HR to do that re: any person/incident.
I understand the argument that Curley might have legitimately forgotten in 2011 that he was informed and requested multiple updates about Jerry being investigated by university police for an allegation of some kind of potentially criminal conduct between him and two boys on university property in 1998. I don't think I agree, but I can understand the argument.

As for the 2001 emails, if it was SOP to use that kind of language, why didn't they follow that SOP in 1998 when they referred specifically to Jerry, DPW, university police, the boys, etc.? Or that same year when discussing Jerry's retirement over email? What changed between 1998 when they were comfortable discussing it openly (with the exception of the 1998 emails that discuss Paterno, where the language shifts to "the individual" instead of Jerry) and 2001 where nobody - even Harmon referring to "the former coach" - referred to anything or anybody in specific terms?

I'm not saying I know the answers to these questions - especially about that mysterious October 1998 between all the principals involved in the 1998 investigation and Ganter in the football building - but I don't think any of the answers put forth are terribly compelling, either.

Imagine the freak outs when Spanier also pleads? LMAO.

I don't think he will, but if he does plead to misdemeanor EWOC, so what? That's another win for the defense and a loss for the OAG. Same as for the others.

The only reason I hope that doesn't happen is that I really want to hear some of these impending testimonies to shed some more light on all this.

Reactions: Zenophile
Let me say something really naïve about "the deal". Maybe the new AG took an objective look at the case and concluded Curley and Shultz were guilty of EWOC and nothing more. So he offered them the opportunity to plead to that charge alone. And maybe Curley and Shultz always intended to take responsibility for that and this was the first time they were given that opportunity. IMO that is plausible. And if that is the case perhaps Spanier has been offered the same deal but is not willing to plead, at least not right now.
I'm not sure how much value there is in testimony from Curley and Shultz. In theory there is nothing more damning that that necessary to gain a conviction for EWOC (otherwise why offer the plea if they have evidence against the others). I think we know from the e-mails Curley and Shultz were the lead guys on this and Spanier was being filled in as "the plan" developed. The damning evidence against Spanier, IMO, is his own e-mail in which he wrote that the down side of not reporting is if there is another incident it will look bad for PSU. Certainly he will explain what he meant by that but it will be used to argue a narrative that he was more concerned about PR.

Spanier's email: This approach is acceptable to me. It requires you to go a step further and means your conversation will be all the more difficult, but I admire your willingness to do that and I am supportive. The only downside for us is if our message is not “heard” and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road. The approach you outline is humane and a reasonable way to proceed.

If the "only downside" had to be triggered by a future event, how concerned do you think Spanier was that V2 had actually been abused? Wouldn't the possibility of him going to the authorities be a pretty large "downside" and of a more immediate concern?

Reactions: nits74 and WeR0206
Who told you that? McQueary did what he was required to do under the law at the time; so did Paterno. There is no difference. That was reason neither was charged.
Can you please show me a source that states the legal requirement when witnessing a child being sexually abused is to slam your locker door and go home and tell your daddy?

I have never argued that that Paterno's testimony was altered or even read incorrectly (although the wording of what was read sounds very odd). I will tell you from being on juries that having testimony read to you that is not subject to cross examination is very low on the list of convincing evidence.
I shot the clerk?

Yeah, I do have a degree. One more challenging than yours, I'm certain. Unfortunately, I can't claim to have been on the school board of one of the smallest, shittiest districts in the state and helped run that into the ground. I'd tell all the old ladies not to trust you since you'd probably screw that up, not to mention run squealing to the AG that they haven't reported all the bingo money they take in.

On to the other point. I'm not aware of any private organization (Scouts, YMCA/YWCA, JCC) other than TSM who after 2011 still advocate one-on-one private meetings between adults and children. I know that even district, diocesan, and regional band and choral concerts have changed their policies about putting up participants with host families. Instead kids are lodged in hotels. I was informed about this by my neighbor whose son was in district orchestra-- and she told me it was "because of Sandusky" (thanks, BOT).

Yet, 5 years after the grand jury presentment, PCCD and other state organizations are still providing funding for this type of program, even though it offers the same MO Jerry used to get access to kids. More chances for pillar of community abusers to sign up. And instead of getting this, you're going to huff and puff about your knowledge of a calendar. Asswipe.

The article was written in 2009.

Spanier's email: This approach is acceptable to me. It requires you to go a step further and means your conversation will be all the more difficult, but I admire your willingness to do that and I am supportive. The only downside for us is if our message is not “heard” and acted upon, and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it. But that can be assessed down the road. The approach you outline is humane and a reasonable way to proceed.

If the "only downside" had to be triggered by a future event, how concerned do you think Spanier was that V2 had actually been abused? Wouldn't the possibility of him going to the authorities be a pretty large "downside" and of a more immediate concern?

This. It sounds as if Spanier thought Sandusky had some boundary issues that bordered on being inappropriate, but that e-mail does not even remotely hint at Spanier believing that Sandusky was molesting children. The only tangible evidence we still have suggests that no one (C/S/S) thought a sexual assault occurred; the e-mails just don't read that way. And the only one now saying he made sure everyone knew an assault had occurred, or he BELIEVED an assault had occurred, is McQueary. And from gambling to sexting coeds to playing in Sandusky's golf tournament after he witnessed whatever he now says he witnessed, Mike's got credibility issues.

On to the other point. I'm not aware of any private organization (Scouts, YMCA/YWCA, JCC) other than TSM who after 2011 still advocate one-on-one private meetings between adults and children. I know that even district, diocesan, and regional band and choral concerts have changed their policies about putting up participants with host families. Instead kids are lodged in hotels. I was informed about this by my neighbor whose son was in district orchestra-- and she told me it was "because of Sandusky" (thanks, BOT)

Big brothers big Sisters is the largest.

There are also 1 on 1 friend fitness programs all over PA & the USA. http://youthmp.org/programs

I point this out because all the people screaming about TSM (which is defunct) completely ignore these other programs run in much the same way.

Can you please show me a source that states the legal requirement when witnessing a child being sexually abused is to slam your locker door and go home and tell your daddy?

I can show you that iot must be re[ported, either to Childline, the police, or the supervisor withing 48 hours. It was.

The supervisor reported to his supervisor.

Well it's never happened to me, or anyone else I know who posts here. I guess you just didn't graduate with the right kind of degree.

Are you a premium member?

I understand the argument that Curley might have legitimately forgotten in 2011 that he was informed and requested multiple updates about Jerry being investigated by university police for an allegation of some kind of potentially criminal conduct between him and two boys on university property in 1998. I don't think I agree, but I can understand the argument.

As for the 2001 emails, if it was SOP to use that kind of language, why didn't they follow that SOP in 1998 when they referred specifically to Jerry, DPW, university police, the boys, etc.? Or that same year when discussing Jerry's retirement over email? What changed between 1998 when they were comfortable discussing it openly (with the exception of the 1998 emails that discuss Paterno, where the language shifts to "the individual" instead of Jerry) and 2001 where nobody - even Harmon referring to "the former coach" - referred to anything or anybody in specific terms?

I'm not saying I know the answers to these questions - especially about that mysterious October 1998 between all the principals involved in the 1998 investigation and Ganter in the football building - but I don't think any of the answers put forth are terribly compelling, either.

We don't know if TC knew that JS was being investigated for potential child abuse, etc. He may have just been told by Schultz that JS was being looked into for something but it ended up being nothing.

Re: the change of language in the emails if there is one, I have no idea why, maybe b/c there were admins/various other people copied on the 01 emails but not the 98 ones and/or they knew it was a sensitive matter and decided to treat it differently? Who knows, the language they used proves literally nothing. It's SOP for HR/high level admins to do this type of thing so I have no idea why you are making such a big deal out of it. If they wanted to be all secretive and discrete, guess what, they wouldn't freaking copy admin assistants! This isn't rocket science.

If that's all the OAG is basing their case on, cherry picked emails where the worst possible interpretation is assigned and context ignored, then they better hope that jury is as biased as many of us think.

Notice how every time the media or one of the resident trolls bring up the text of this email they truncate the non bolded part? When you add it to the other emails/notes it destroys the current narrative b/c it shows that the change of plan was to confront JS directly instead of going behind his back to everyone. Then depending on if he agreed his behavior was wrong and needed to stop, they would loop in DPW or not and also tell TSM regardless of JS' agreement.

The non bolded part provides much needed context and makes no sense whatsoever if they thought JS was abusing kids. The "only downside" is if there's some future event?? You can't make that fit into what the OAG/Freeh claimed. As you said the only way that makes sense is if they thought another boundary issue happened and there'd be a he said he said situation or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: indynittany
Big brothers big Sisters is the largest.

There are also 1 on 1 friend fitness programs all over PA & the USA. http://youthmp.org/programs

I point this out because all the people screaming about TSM (which is defunct) completely ignore these other programs run in much the same way.
I call BS and FALSE! You seem to conveniently ignore that MANY of us bring these to the attention of PA officials and other prevention orgs on a regular basis. FYI I blasted my local TX orgs for ignoring Arrow and now they follow my account in case I find another one they didn't know about. You need to stop gaslighting and start using some facts Covey.

Just a few posts above this one Raffy specifically addresses the YMCA one brought to Josh Shapiro's attention by Wendy more than 24 hours ago, smh. I even asked Kristen Houser and Charlie Tuna at Pennlive why they aren't talking about it. It's done regularly, so stop living in your BWI bubble and pay attention. Maybe even help us track them and do some good for a change.

Exactly. The idea that Spanier meant "let's take a chance with a man that was reported to have raped a child on PSU's campus" with this statement is just ludicrous. As with this whole mess, context is critical.

I call BS and FALSE! You seem to conveniently ignore that MANY of us bring these to the attention of PA officials and other prevention orgs on a regular basis. FYI I Blasted my local TX orgs for ignoring Arrow and now they follow my account in case I find another one they didn't know about. You need to stop gaslighting and start using some facts Covey.

Covey and facts???? Good one!! The next time he use's facts will be the first.

Reactions: pandaczar12
We don't know if TC knew that JS was being investigated for potential child abuse, etc. He may have just been told by Schultz that JS was being looked into for something but it ended up being nothing.

Re: the change of language in the emails if there is one, I have no idea why, maybe b/c there were admins/various other people copied on the 01 emails but not the 98 ones and/or they knew it was a sensitive matter and decided to treat it differently? Who knows, the language they used proves literally nothing. It's SOP for HR/high level admins to do this type of thing so I have no idea why you are making such a big deal out of it. If they wanted to be all secretive and discrete, guess what, they wouldn't freaking copy admin assistants! This isn't rocket science.

If that's all the OAG is basing their case on, cherry picked emails where the worst possible interpretation is assigned and context ignored, then they better hope that jury is as biased as many of us think.
You're right - we don't know at this time precisely what Curley was told that Jerry was accused of doing. What we do know is that Curley was told that something occurred between Jerry and one or two boys on university property, that whatever happened caused a report to be filed, and whatever that report was caused the university police department, DPW, and a child psychologist to get involved and investigate. We have those emails, so we do know a bare minimum of what Schultz told Curley. I believe that Curley was a man of adequate intelligence and diligence who would (1) want to know a little more than "something happened, it's being investigated" when it involved my current defensive coordinator and brand ambassador; and (2) recognize that if Jerry was accused of doing "something" with a boy on university property that warranted police involvement and interviews with child psychologists, that there are only a few options for what that "something" could have been - with none of them being particularly good for anyone involved.

As far as the choice of language in 2001 is concerned, while it's true that Joan Coble was copied on one email in 2001, where Schultz told Curley that he would be away on vacation and relayed that the plan was for Curley to talk with "the subject", for Curley to contact "the Charitable Organization", and to contact the Department of Welfare, the only parties copied on the remainder of the 2001 emails were Curley, Schultz and Spanier - and Harmon. Even in the emails restricted to only the three administrators and the email between Harmon and Schultz, the same language is used - so I don't buy the concept of maintaining Jerry's and The Second Mile's privacy throughout all of those emails from the prying eyes of a sole administrative assistant who was copied on a separate message.

It's clear that you interpret those questions very charitably towards the administrators, but I remain much more skeptical. We'll agree to disagree.

This. It sounds as if Spanier thought Sandusky had some boundary issues that bordered on being inappropriate, but that e-mail does not even remotely hint at Spanier believing that Sandusky was molesting children. The only tangible evidence we still have suggests that no one (C/S/S) thought a sexual assault occurred; the e-mails just don't read that way. And the only one now saying he made sure everyone knew an assault had occurred, or he BELIEVED an assault had occurred, is McQueary. And from gambling to sexting coeds to playing in Sandusky's golf tournament after he witnessed whatever he now says he witnessed, Mike's got credibility issues.[/QU

And given this perfectly rational perspective, why these guys chose to plea deal after five plus years is beyond me. Unless, of course, the conspiracy theorists are correct.

See that @LaJolla Lion ... YOU have gone off the deep end. Not the Jerry defenders... not the ones still proclaiming C&S innocence, but you.

Where did I say they weren't already off the deep end?

Some like you and Towny are celebrating, some are always in the clouds...LaJolla is angry for some reason. Like he's taking this very personally. That's why I said that to an ostensibly reasonable poster.

But carry on!

Where did I say they weren't already off the deep end?

Some like you and Towny are celebrating, some are always in the clouds...LaJolla is angry for some reason. Like he's taking this very personally. That's why I said that to an ostensibly reasonable poster.

But carry on!
Yeah, I'm the angry one. I think you need to look at the timing of the posts and what was actually said in what order. Perspective is a good thing.

Either way this gets settled soon enough and some won't believe the outcome one way or the other. I'm not trying to dig up personal info on people as a few have on this site which clearly crosses a line. Where were you calling people out then? I'm not connected to anyone involved like others are. I'm not calling you or anyone out daily either. Apparently you think something I said was way off, but instead of pointing it out, you told me I need a TO. Thanks, but I'm just fine.

Reactions: Stufftodo
Yeah, I'm the angry one. I think you need to look at the timing of the posts and what was actually said in what order. Perspective is a good thing.

Either way this gets settled soon enough and some won't believe the outcome one way or the other. I'm not trying to dig up personal info on people as a few have on this site which clearly crosses a line. Where were you calling people out then? I'm not connected to anyone involved like others are. I'm not calling you or anyone out daily either. Apparently you think something I said was way off, but instead of pointing it out, you told me I need a TO. Thanks, but I'm just fine.

This response perfectly illustrates my point. I thought you were sane and above this. I've been wrong before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT