ADVERTISEMENT

Brockington returns

Opinions on the chances for a return to PSU for the rest.......

I would say Lundy returns, but consider everyone else gone (though, I'm not talking about TB in this convo). If anyone besides Lundy returns -- great! But figure no one else will return, so that you're not disappointed.

Reactions: bison13
I would say Lundy returns, but consider everyone else gone (though, I'm not talking about TB in this convo). If anyone besides Lundy returns -- great! But figure no one else will return, so that you're not disappointed.

It would be great if PSU players returned to PSU, because they love PSU and believe that they have just as good of a chance to win at PSU as they would have by moving on. But I won't be disappointed either way.

I will be disappointed only if Shrew can not put together a roster of players, former PSU players or not, that has the guard play and front court play (somewhat missing last year even with Harrar) that is needed to field a team that can legitimately compete to get to the NCAA .....

I do think Lundy is back and as mentioned in that article I think his opportunity to play at least one season with brown, figuring he commits for 2022, is part of it.
I do not think anybody else will come back though provided coach wants him, buttrick may do so. The lack of depth in the front court might make him think about staying even if he is having to play out of position, he'll get some minutes. Not sure if hes getting the looks in the portal he thought he would.
I think Dorsey can be a decent contributor at the four as well. Give him a chance with the new coaching staff to develop and mesh and I think he will be okay.
Sessoms, Dread, Brockington, Lundy, Tsimbila are a decent first 5, though I would expect a big and pg from the portal.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I do think Lundy is back and as mentioned in that article I think his opportunity to play at least one season with brown, figuring he commits for 2022, is part of it.
I do not think anybody else will come back though provided coach wants him, buttrick may do so. The lack of depth in the front court might make him think about staying even if he is having to play out of position, he'll get some minutes. Not sure if hes getting the looks in the portal he thought he would.
I think Dorsey can be a decent contributor at the four as well. Give him a chance with the new coaching staff to develop and mesh and I think he will be okay.
Sessoms, Dread, Brockington, Lundy, Tsimbila are a decent first 5, though I would expect a big and pg from the portal.
That seems like a decent starting five, until you consider the other starting fives that we will be competing against.

Although, the big 10 next year may be a bit down, depending on the portal

Is Lundy a natural 2 or 3 position? Surely he is not a four - too small.

Definitely not a 2...in the traditional sense, probably a 3, but I thought he did function best in a 4 in our Chambers/Ferry offense.
He's a 3, IMO, just like Lamar was when we recruited him. Only, Lamar hit a 3-inch growth spurt while in college. It would be nice if Lundy does the same.

In a four-guard offense, he can play the four, though

They would be a decent starting five for penn state, based upon history. Jones, Harrar, and Wheeler are the three Most valuable players from last season. If we don’t get new upgrades from the portal, we will regress.

Reactions: Nitwit and bison13
Chris Lykes from Miami now in the portal. Played with Myles Dread at Gonzaga and new asst. coach Adam Fisher was with him four years at Miami.

Don't know if he's fully recovered from the injury that sidelined him this year, but he would make an intriguing point guard in Shrewsberry's offense.

Chris Lykes from Miami now in the portal. Played with Myles Dread at Gonzaga and new asst. coach Adam Fisher was with him four years at Miami.

Don't know if he's fully recovered from the injury that sidelined him this year, but he would make an intriguing point guard in Shrewsberry's offense.
Lykes and Timberlake both are from the dmv and played for Fisher at um. I do think that there is some positive momentum for them to come here. Not going to say they are even more than 25% but now we are on the board.

Still need a big but those two with the above mentioned 5 put psu into a much better shot of making the ncaa.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

I don't quite understand where Buttrick thinks he is going to land.

Buttrick has said he wants to be able to play power forward rather than a backup center as this is his natural position. He will go someplace which will use him that way.

Tough to get much closer than he is today, so I doubt geography is a huge factor. But maybe it’s one of the PA patriot league or NEC schools.

If Harrar leaves it seems like Buttrick would get a huge increase in playing time. So I don't quite understand his logic

If Harrar leaves it seems like Buttrick would get a huge increase in playing time. So I don't quite understand his logic
That would be if we don’t pick up a transfer big (and I will be very surprised if we don’t). Plus, as someone mentioned, he’s playing out of position at the 5, and might want to be somewhere that better suits his skill-set.

Tsimbila and incoming freshman Hutchins-Everett are at the 5. While buttrick could get minutes over them his primary job would be to back up lundy at the 4 if he comes back. Combine that with the almost certainty of a big coming out of the portal and he will get similar minutes as last year

Tsimbila and incoming freshman Hutchins-Everett are at the 5. While buttrick could get minutes over them his primary job would be to back up lundy at the 4 if he comes back. Combine that with the almost certainty of a big coming out of the portal and he will get similar minutes as last year
Hutchins-Everett doesn’t have an offer from us at the moment, from what I heard (or at least didn’t, though that could have changed).

Shrews has not offered EHE yet. Shrews/staff will evaluate him on their own before extending an offer... Shrews was not recruiting EHE, so he does not know him as a player yet. That is why he has not been updated to a commit for Penn State in the recruiting databases.

I don't quite understand where Buttrick thinks he is going to land.
anywhere other than PSU...he is terrible and hated Ferry playing him so much this year when I thought the RS Freshman should have gotten more minutes.

anywhere other than PSU...he is terrible and hated Ferry playing him so much this year when I thought the RS Freshman should have gotten more minutes.

Who was the RS freshman? Patrick Kelly? He’s the only RS FR on the roster and you can’t think he was a better option than Buttrick.

Can Tsimbila play? He never showed me anything during the time he got into games this year. He looked like a freshman.

Can Tsimbila play? He never showed me anything during the time he got into games this year. He looked like a freshman.
Hes a guy that really would have benefited from 4 or 5 more ooc games. He is still learning the game. I could see a progression similar to harrar
Tsimbila came in raw, very raw, but with time and good coaching he will be a good post player for us. You can’t teach size and can’t make slow twitch muscles twitch fast. He has both size and super athleticism. He has a higher upside that Harear, let’s hope he has half the work ethic.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Also, Abdou didn't play organized basketball for almost 2 years and even then he was raw as a new immigrant who bounced around different schools. I expect a dramatic improvement for next year, but I still doubt that he'll be ready to start in the B1G.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT