ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks non-issue

Well I have to agree with Turk on his actual point. When I was in grade school and Jr Hi, we said a lot of pretty insensitive things to other kids just to tease them and upset them. I guarantee that there were no cell phones back then. I’m talking about late 50’s early 60’s. It’s a good indication that human nature hasn’t changed all that much in over half a century.

The one difference is that if you teased a little girl in school, you might have either gotten a phone call or personal visit from her dad who would tell you to knock it off or expect an ass beating. And your own parents would say something like, “You heard the man. Do what he says or else.”

That simply is not true. I graduated in 2002 and there was very little cell phone usage in school back then. Kids occasionally got in trouble for playing snake on their Nokia blue bricks. Certainly no smart phones around..

And guess what? All types of bullying and harassment still existed! Well maybe not transgender bullying so much. Seems like most everyone was one or the other back then.
I don't know where you're getting you anecdotal information at, but you're way off base. Social media is a leading factor in depression and suicide amongst our youth today.

Heavy users of social media are 3x more likely to have depression. Since Covid alone, social media was the primary way for students to interact. Suicide, and suicide attempts had a massive increase, upwards of over 30% for attempts, and 50% for suspected attempts in ages 10-18. 81% of these were done by females.

Things are far worse today, and it isn't close. We have an actual emergency situation regarding our youth, and social media is a major catalyst.

I don't know where you're getting you anecdotal information at, but you're way off base. Social media is a leading factor in depression and suicide amongst our youth today.

Heavy users of social media are 3x more likely to have depression. Since Covid alone, social media was the primary way for students to interact. Suicide, and suicide attempts had a massive increase, upwards of over 30% for attempts, and 50% for suspected attempts in ages 10-18. 81% of these were done by females.

Things are far worse today, and it isn't close. We have an actual emergency situation regarding our youth, and social media is a major catalyst.
HotShoe is spot on here and the ignorance of the other poster is frustratingly prevalent among people who may be fortunate enough for this to not be on their radar. Jonathan Haidt's new book "The Anxious Generation" spells this out very clearly, without the need for anecdotal information.
The complicated nature of mental health itself presents enough obstacles to overcome. Uninformed opinions often serve only to make it worse.
I've been around this board a long time and scour it almost daily for wrestling info. I much prefer reading to posting, and really only look for the the actual wrestling content. But this one hits home. And I provide these links for the benefit of anyone looking to learn how the facts bear out what Hotshoe has said above.

Thanks,

Doak

HotShoe is spot on here and the ignorance of the other poster is frustratingly prevalent among people who may be fortunate enough for this to not be on their radar. Jonathan Haidt's new book "The Anxious Generation" spells this out very clearly, without the need for anecdotal information.
The complicated nature of mental health itself presents enough obstacles to overcome. Uninformed opinions often serve only to make it worse.
I've been around this board a long time and scour it almost daily for wrestling info. I much prefer reading to posting, and really only look for the the actual wrestling content. But this one hits home. And I provide these links for the benefit of anyone looking to learn how the facts bear out what Hotshoe has said above.

Thanks,

Doak

Jonathan Haidt also wrote a book called “The Coddling of the American Mind” which talks about how much we coddle our children and shield them from bullying etc. How our children aren’t prepared to be problem solvers because we shelter and baby them. We don’t let them leave our sight. So it’s surely a multi factoral thing, like everything.

I’m 44 so not much older than Turk and I agree, bullying was everywhere then. What was different is humanity was present in unexpected ways. Because when someone bullied, someone would kick the bullies ass. Almost always happens. It’s called problem solving. And our kids don’t do it anymore! My bus was the first bus in our district to put cameras on it in 1994 because there were non stop fights on our bus. Then the school started fining kids and fights stopped. But it didn’t stop the bullying. It buried it. Just as cell phones have done. Survival of the fittest. That construct is what gives credence to problem solving. I say let kids start fighting again. Shit will work itself out.

Thanks,

Doak

You are both correct.

Jonathan Haidt also wrote a book called “The Coddling of the American Mind” which talks about how much we coddle our children and shield them from bullying etc. How our children aren’t prepared to be problem solvers because we shelter and baby them. We don’t let them leave our sight. So it’s surely a multi factoral thing, like everything.

I’m 44 so not much older than Turk and I agree, bullying was everywhere then. What was different is humanity was present in unexpected ways. Because when someone bullied, someone would kick the bullies ass. Almost always happens. It’s called problem solving. And our kids don’t do it anymore! My bus was the first bus in our district to put cameras on it in 1994 because there were non stop fights on our bus. Then the school started fining kids and fights stopped. But it didn’t stop the bullying. It buried it. Just as cell phones have done. Survival of the fittest. That construct is what gives credence to problem solving. I say let kids start fighting again. Shit will work itself out.
I'm sixty and bullying might be worse now, but the cause isn't what people think. I'd blame anti bullying programs which teach young psychos how to be better bullies. Also we have the issue if your child retaliates when struck and defends themselves, they might be deemed the aggressor.

Reactions: NCPsuFan

Exactly, nothing drives a lesson home like a bloody nose. I was a relatively small kid but often had, big tough friends. I wasn't bullied very much but it did inspire me to workout to get bigger and stronger. The lessons I learned made it even less likely I would be bullied. Taking positive steps to improve yourself changes you in a good way that makes you less likely to be picked on.

Reactions: NCPsuFan

At one time bullying took effort. Remember the old cereal toy or model orders? You had to save 4,5,6 maybe box tops or bar codes, then sent in the order form . It said allow 4-6 weeks for delivery? Now we get next day from so many online retailers. Now imagine you want to torture some kid? You can post some garbage online that reaches thousand to millions with barely any effort. It was bad enough 25 years ago or so, now it's so much worse.

At one time bullying took effort. Remember the old cereal toy or model orders? You had to save 4,5,6 maybe box tops or bar codes, then sent in the order form . It said allow 4-6 weeks for delivery? Now we get next day from so many online retailers. Now imagine you want to torture some kid? You can post some garbage online that reaches thousand to millions with barely any effort. It was bad enough 25 years ago or so, now it's so much worse.

The social media stuff is absolutely insane. "Mean girls" on steroids.

I'm sixty and bullying might be worse now, but the cause isn't what people think. I'd blame anti bullying programs which teach young psychos how to be better bullies. Also we have the issue if your child retaliates when struck and defends themselves, they might be deemed the aggressor.
Thats it we handled bully’s by putting them in there place either by beating or ganging up on them using their own methods. Now this woke society will punish the reaction.

We had a class for special ed students. All on their own, nothing pissed me off more than someone bullying or making fun of them. Although was great to see someone get the snot kicked out of them by one of these kids when they finally had the guts to go in the alley for a fight. They are strong as a horse and most dont feel pain the way we do.

Good luck using actual logic on an Iowa fan lmfao. Good points by the way and all factual. Maybe I should edit and say most Iowa fans. Some are pretty good guys just some

• Love
Reactions: Hotshoe
We had a class for special ed students. All on their own, nothing pissed me off more than someone bullying or making fun of them. Although was great to see someone get the snot kicked out of them by one of these kids when they finally had the guts to go in the alley for a fight. They are strong as a horse and most dont feel pain the way we do.
Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Good luck using actual logic on an Iowa fan lmfao. Good points by the way and all factual. Maybe I should edit and say most Iowa fans. Some are pretty good guys just some
Hell, they don't even like Bluegrass music. Ha ha.

Including AB and “evangelical types”?
110% definitely. Of course.

If you read what I wrote, I said there would be issues if someone on my staff was forcing beliefs onto a client, or even a co-worker. That's uncool & not going to be tolerated.

"Getting kids to spend time without their phones will eliminate all types of bullying and harassment"

That's the statement I disagreed with. That's it. I'll stand by what I said.

If you can get it out of your head that I'm an Iowa fan, you may just agree with me.

Hell, they don't even like Bluegrass music. Ha ha.
Another False statement. I just went to the Spring Revelry concert here in Iowa last weekend with several thousand other Iowan's. Violins, banjos, Dobros, fiddles, mandolins, steel guitars etc. They were tearing it up all Day and night.

Trampled by Turtles
Ryan Bingham and the Texas Gentleman
Muscadine Bloodline
Turnpike Troubadours among others.

Amazing show

Last edited:
Another False statement. I just went to the Spring Revelry concert here in Iowa last weekend with several thousand other Iowan's. Violins, banjos, Dobros, fiddles, mandolins, steel guitars etc. were tearing it up all Day and night.

Trampled by Turtles
Muscadine Bloodline

Amazing show
Well, hot damn, an Iowan has some American culture. Who would have thought!

I was in 5th or 6th grade (circa 1963) As I was walking to school I saw a tough kid picking a fight with another boy. Both well built and a good 40 pounds heavier than me. Uncalled for. As the kid walked past me I called him a bully and he proceeded to knock my books out of my hand (about 5 of them).

As I walked in the door he was waiting for me. I do not know how I did this but within 3 seconds I had him up over my head. A teacher walked by and said to put him down, which I did in a very gentle way.

After school I had wrestling practice with the 9 thru 12 grade boys. And there he was against a wall about 40 feet from me. I could hear him saying to his friend - "there is the guy ... ". That was the last time I saw him at wrestling practice.

A horror/monster movie came out a few years ago in which the monsters had, among other strange features, monstrous hands with only three fingers. A society of people with hand deformities issued a public complaint. It’s hard to say anything!
Remember taco neck from Taco Bell? That got pulled.

• Wow
Reactions: Dogwelder
I was in 5th or 6th grade (circa 1963) As I was walking to school I saw a tough kid picking a fight with another boy. Both well built and a good 40 pounds heavier than me. Uncalled for. As the kid walked past me I called him a bully and he proceeded to knock my books out of my hand (about 5 of them).

As I walked in the door he was waiting for me. I do not know how I did this but within 3 seconds I had him up over my head. A teacher walked by and said to put him down, which I did in a very gentle way.

After school I had wrestling practice with the 9 thru 12 grade boys. And there he was against a wall about 40 feet from me. I could hear him saying to his friend - "there is the guy ... ". That was the last time I saw him at wrestling practice.
You got it right. If you are getting bullied and want it to stop, go out for wrestling. My experience was that the bullies didn't want to mess around with guys who knew how to fight back tougher than they could dish it out.

I remember one time in Jr Hi where I put a stop to some bad behavior really fast. There was a guy who for whatever reason decided he wanted to try to push me around and intimidate me. I made it a habit of avoiding him mainly because I didn't want to start any trouble. One afternoon, I was walking back from wrestling practice with a couple of other guys. I was looking at a guy who was walking slightly behind me and walked right into the bully. He started pushing me, and I couldn't back down in front of my other friends. So I stood my ground and he stepped towards me and boom - double leg takedown except I lifted him and slammed him hard on the linoleum floor. He yelled out and said I really hurt him. I just let him get up and slink away. That was the last time he ever tried anything with me. In fact, we later became friends, so another good ending.

So how long until js8793's ban is lifted 😂

Sounds like the kettlebells I ordered online.

I'm relearning what 4-6 weeks are...

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder
Remember taco neck from Taco Bell? That got pulled.
Ha! Same thing. I googled it:

… "I'm enraged that someone would use this condition as a joke," said 35-year-old Santa Rosa attorney Jerry Jirak, who has the [neck] condition and who wants the [taco neck] ads pulled as well as an apology from the fast-food giant.
When Jirak faxed a letter to company president John Antioco making note of his concerns, he received a response saying that the company did not intend to poke fun but would not stop the commercials.
"To add insult to injury, he also sent me five $1 coupons to Taco Bell," said Jirak. …

(https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/taco-bell-ad-assailed-as-insensitive-by-people-2841984.php)

I think the coupons should be called an adding of injury (Taco Bell food) to insult (taco neck commercial). 😀

Another False statement. I just went to the Spring Revelry concert here in Iowa last weekend with several thousand other Iowan's. Violins, banjos, Dobros, fiddles, mandolins, steel guitars etc. They were tearing it up all Day and night.

Trampled by Turtles
Muscadine Bloodline

Amazing show
The only good thing to come out of Iowa was Slipknot

I think the guy who invented sliced bread came out of Iowa as well...

Davenport Locomotives
Barber Bettendorf made a lot of the trucks under the cabooses that gently rocked a lot of sleep deprived conductors and rear-end brakemen to sleep.

I like the way this forum operates. A thread gets started that has negative implications for a PSU wrestler. Instead of everyone getting into a back and forth pissing contest, the subject matter of the thread changes to a topic where everyone has thoughts about it. Maybe that's why we've won 11 out of the last 13 national tournaments.

I like the way this forum operates. A thread gets started … the subject matter of the thread changes to a topic where everyone has thoughts about it. Maybe that's why we've won 11 out of the last 13 national tournaments.
I am worried this information will go into the Hawkeye binder, and then GIA wil repurpose a thread today, and then we will wake up tomorrow to discover that Iowa has won 11 out of the last 13 national tournaments! 😬

I am worried this information will go into the Hawkeye binder, and then GIA wil repurpose a thread today, and then we will wake up tomorrow to discover that Iowa has won 11 out of the last 13 national tournaments! 😬
We don't have to worry about that unless Slumlord Bob has paid someone to build a DeLorean with a flux capacitor. 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT