ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Arians ???????

dawgduice

Jun 2, 2006
"We feel like this is our sport. It's being attacked, and we got to stop it at the grass roots," Arians said on Friday. "It's the best game that's ever been f------ invented, and we got to make sure that moms get the message; because that's who's afraid of our game right now. It's not dads, it's moms."

Another one offering proof of Bill Walsh's opinion of the intelligence of football coaches.

Ouch good luck with that. Link between contact sports and CTE is pretty much undeniable. And, I've long advocated that Riddell and Schutt have been made to a) protect the wearer and b) to dish out as much damage to the opponent as possible. These things are made like weapons and simply don't need to be like that.

So football is simply getting what its deserved now for hiding the effects of football from players. Had they taken action to truly make the game safer several years ago, they wouldn't be in this predicament.

NCAA and Emmert, I am looking at YOU!

0eAmW_f-maxage-0.gif

IMO kids start way too young. There is no reason for a 6 yr old kid to be in a helmet and pads, none zero. Let the kids grow up to at least around 7 th grade and start from there. Heck, if I had a 6-8 yr old kid, I'd be worried too!! about a lot of things, the equipment, coaching etc etc.

100% agree with you sluggo. Go hit a baseball or play soccer when you're 8 years old....get some exercise. The whole Pop Warner thing is ridiculous.
I once had a very successful college HC tell me not to let my boys play football until they were 12.

100% agree with you sluggo. Go hit a baseball or play soccer when you're 8 years old....get some exercise. The whole Pop Warner thing is ridiculous.
I once had a very successful college HC tell me not to let my boys play football until they were 12.
I once recall a football coach who someone 409 games saying he didn't thinks kids needed to play football until they were something like 15 years old.

Reactions: Ski and PSU77sh
Players started tackling with their heads instead of their shoulders.That is why they eliminated the flying tackle in the leather helmet days,but for some reason head hunting eased it's way back in on all levels.

Soccer players get concussed at an extremely high rate too. If you don't want to play sports or your parents don't want you too, don't. If you do, do. There is risk in every sport.

It is true that most damage in football probably comes from a very early age more than later.

IMO kids start way too young. There is no reason for a 6 yr old kid to be in a helmet and pads, none zero. Let the kids grow up to at least around 7 th grade and start from there. Heck, if I had a 6-8 yr old kid, I'd be worried too!! about a lot of things, the equipment, coaching etc etc.

Just curious, is there any science or research behind your "wait until 7th grade" idea or was that just something you throw out there? I have 3 kids that have all been through many years of tackle football starting in 1st grade and I can tell you that most of the early years is getting the kids to understand how to use their pads & helmet properly to tackle etc.. and also to protect themselves. As a dad & coach I don't want my kid to wait until 7th grade (when some kids start to become pretty powerful) to learn those lessons.

I've had parents (well, mostly moms) tell me that their boy will never play football. I always invite them to come out and watch a practice anytime and see for themselves. Not surprisingly, a vast majority of them that took me up on my offer end up letting their kid play.

Soccer players get concussed at an extremely high rate too. If you don't want to play sports or your parents don't want you too, don't. If you do, do. There is risk in every sport.

It is true that most damage in football probably comes from a very early age more than later.

Isn't that like saying "if you want to smoke, smoke?"

Don't we have a responsibility to a) let the facts be known (CTE was denied, for years) and b) make every effort to make the sport safer?

Shouldn't there be minimum standards on age? protective gear? allowable techniques?

Its moving in the right direction (after lost law suits) but the NCAA has done next to nothing. Don't even start on high school and below.

Just curious, is there any science or research behind your "wait until 7th grade" idea or was that just something you throw out there? I have 3 kids that have all been through many years of tackle football starting in 1st grade and I can tell you that most of the early years is getting the kids to understand how to use their pads & helmet properly to tackle etc.. and also to protect themselves. As a dad & coach I don't want my kid to wait until 7th grade (when some kids start to become pretty powerful) to learn those lessons.

I've had parents (well, mostly moms) tell me that their boy will never play football. I always invite them to come out and watch a practice anytime and see for themselves. Not surprisingly, a vast majority of them that took me up on my offer end up letting their kid play.
it's probably something I just throw out there. A lot of it comes from Joe, a lot comes from just observing. IMO kids 6 yrs old, 8 yrs old, don't need this kind of structure from adults, I'd rather see them grab assing on the playground. I'd rather see them in Cub scouts. Many 6 yr olds don't know their right from their left, so pitch right is probably a head scratcher for some Let alone roger change zip strong, 38 toss/49 sweep automatic on 2. No disrespect here, while I appreciate your time and commitment to our youth, in general I don't like Dad's coaching. I much prefer teachers coaching. If you wait to 7-8th grade, they will pick up what they missed by not playing, within a month or two, with proper coaching. They wont be burned out, and should be good to for HS. IMO.

I think at younger ages if you want to play the game substitute flag football or touch. Wait for tackle until High School where hopefully (no, not hopefully, create a certification for the coaches on how to TEACH proper technique and require the license to be renewed every 5 years or so).
For me it's really a matter of admitting the safety issue and taking "educated" steps to improve it.
It is a great "game" BUT if the powers in football do not take this seriously it may be the beginning of the end.
Listened to "the Herd" this morning and he commented about players beginning to leave the NFL earlier to protect themselves, he said this thinking is mostly from the kids that went to good schools and NOT the football factories. He said they plan on having another life outside of football. Don't know where his data is from but just the comment fuels the fire of "concern".
Smoking is NOT healthy nor is being hit on the head !!!!

On a more serious note :
I do have my suspicion that some on this board "may" have been hit in the head more than once, there is a lot of evidence :) :)

IMO, the CTE era started with the confluence of 3 elements; better helmets, face masks, and steroids.

Better helmets and face masks enabled use as a weapon and steroids made players stronger and more violent.

Do you think a return to single platoon football might help? Going both ways, the players won't be as big so the force of the collisions would diminish. I don't know, just theorizing here.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
I enjoy watching a good football game. That said, if it was outlawed tomorrow life would go on as usual for me and 99.99% of everyone else in the U.S. Arians is taking himself and the sport way too seriously.

I enjoy watching a good football game. That said, if it was outlawed tomorrow life would go on as usual for me and 99.99% of everyone else in the U.S. Arians is taking himself and the sport way too seriously.

He is pretty off too. I am not a father yet but it seems like with fantasy football and in general the women are about as into the sport but everyone has the same concerns.

I have played many years of football after not starting tackle until 7th grade. We played 11 man flag with helmets and blocking in 5th and 6th grade.

When my son played tackle football at 8, 9 and 10 years old I saw some things that made me realize how stupid tackle football is at that age. You end up with dads coaching who are trying to relive their glory years. I heard one coach say to a group of 8 year old parents say "welcome to your 1st year of high school football". I saw coaches run kids till they puke to try and weed out the weak. I watched a coach give the star running back 25-30 carries a game pretty much every game for two seasons straight. Then, this league had the brilliant idea to create spring 8-man football so they could bash the kids heads in all year instead of just 4 months. I was not upset when my son finally said he didn't want to do it any longer.

I remember bugging my Dad to allow me to join friends playing pee-wee football back in the 70s... His response was that the best decision is to wait until Frosh football/8th grade at the HS level where there's Likely to be oversight by someone with a degree in Physical Educ. as opposed to a couple of drunks looking, primarily, for any connection to their glory days...

When faced with the same decisions for my two sons, it was pretty easy once I saw who was involved in pop warner... Dad was right.

My kids waited for school modified football... Personally, I worry about them more during wrestling season ...

Reactions: Ski
it's probably something I just throw out there. A lot of it comes from Joe, a lot comes from just observing. IMO kids 6 yrs old, 8 yrs old, don't need this kind of structure from adults, I'd rather see them grab assing on the playground. I'd rather see them in Cub scouts. Many 6 yr olds don't know their right from their left, so pitch right is probably a head scratcher for some Let alone roger change zip strong, 38 toss/49 sweep automatic on 2. No disrespect here, while I appreciate your time and commitment to our youth, in general I don't like Dad's coaching. I much prefer teachers coaching. If you wait to 7-8th grade, they will pick up what they missed by not playing, within a month or two, with proper coaching. They wont be burned out, and should be good to for HS. IMO.
Well, I think you are really selling the youngins short by thinking they don't have the attention or aptitude to pick up a simple offense. I teach young players football concepts -nothing complex and they seem to do just fine. Maybe I just don't fit the stereotype.

Ouch good luck with that. Link between contact sports and CTE is pretty much undeniable. And, I've long advocated that Riddell and Schutt have been made to a) protect the wearer and b) to dish out as much damage to the opponent as possible. These things are made like weapons and simply don't need to be like that.

So football is simply getting what its deserved now for hiding the effects of football from players. Had they taken action to truly make the game safer several years ago, they wouldn't be in this predicament.

NCAA and Emmert, I am looking at YOU!

0eAmW_f-maxage-0.gif
Watched Concusion over the weekend. It reminded me of Charlie Janerette who was an All-American in '60 and played in the NFL.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/05/s...let-doom-ex-football-star.html?pagewanted=all

On a related note, has anybody seen the show "Friday Night Tykes-Steel Country" on the Esquire network? About the youth football league in Beaver County. Some of it is truly frightening and depressing.

I have been involved with high school football for close to 40 years and i dont know of a single person who suffered any brain damage from youth, junior high or high school football. Does anyone else know of anyone? How about college? It seems to me the problem is limited to those few players who have played all the way through the NFL.

I have been involved with high school football for close to 40 years and i dont know of a single person who suffered any brain damage from youth, junior high or high school football. Does anyone else know of anyone? How about college? It seems to me the problem is limited to those few players who have played all the way through the NFL.
I knew some kids in high school who were victims of having their "bell rung". Back then it wasn't considered a big deal. The player was often sent back into the game if he could see how many fingers the coach was holding up. Now we know that sort of thing was likely a concussion. The effects of a couple bells rung in high school likely won't be known until well into adulthood. By then it's unlikely anyone would make a connection to the football injuries.

While not disagreeing with you, at this point the study of traumatic brain injury/CTE is relatively in it's infancy. Who's to say when the brain injuries to Junior Seau, Dave Duerson, etc. first happened. I think the trend is going that it's a cumulative effect, so it stands to reason that the more hits to the head you take, your chances of developing CTE increase, so it only stands to reason that if you can eliminate some of those, it would be for the better.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2

Well, I do not know, but my guess would be that no one was looking for damage. In short, no one "thought" of a connection. Given the science it would seem next to impossible for there not to be damage from any sort of head trauma especially since much of this is cumulative. In short, it is not the ONE hit but the accumulation of a large number of hits.
There are those that insist second hand and third hand smoke is not a problem because it has only come to light in recent years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT