ADVERTISEMENT

BSD from 5 years ago today: "Why Penn State Should Avoid 'Joe Paterno Field'" (link)

The writer says "Joe Paterno Field" won't add anything more to JoePa's legacy. Perhaps not, but the failure to do so detracts from his legacy because most will assume the reason was Joe's culpability in the Sandusky Scandal.

Reactions: humpydudas19
The writer says "Joe Paterno Field" won't add anything more to JoePa's legacy. Perhaps not, but the failure to do so detracts from his legacy because most will assume the reason was Joe's culpability in the Sandusky Scandal.
I'm with you, FG. And there are former players who share a similar sentiment.
IMG_1668.jpg

I tire of these narratives that were written after all hell broke lose. To me, it comes across as though the writer is part of the move-on crowd and is grasping at excuses not to do what obviously would have been done. It isn't very convincing and does not satisfy correcting the vindictiveness this university inflicted on Paterno.

It is like those advocating the statue go inside the library because Joe didn't really like it, he funded the library, whatever. These are sorry compromises that only serve those who enabled the false narrative.

I tire of these narratives that were written after all hell broke lose. To me, it comes across as though the writer is part of the move-on crowd and is grasping at excuses not to do what obviously would have been done. It isn't very convincing and does not satisfy correcting the vindictiveness this university inflicted on Paterno.

It is like those advocating the statue go inside the library because Joe didn't really like it, he funded the library, whatever. These are sorry compromises that only serve those who enabled the false narrative.

I agree with almost everything you said, but I believe the author was genuine in his arguments (I disagree with him, but still...). Remember, this was written shortly after everything blew up, and the move on movement hadn't yet kicked into high gear.

Reactions: Zenophile
Coukd rename Curtin Road as Paterno Way. From the spot of the former Beaver Field near Rec Hall to Beaver Stadium. Past the Paterno Pattee Library.

And the road could end at the intersection with Porter Road. Right at Paternoville.

But I am just surmising. I know it won't ever happen. :(

Reactions: Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT