ADVERTISEMENT

Butch Jones out at TN

I have to admit for as much as I get right about college football, I was horribly wrong about Butch Jones. something really dark going on there in Tenn . . .

Screw UT...teams like UT, Nebraska, and even FLA to an extent...they fire coaches with 10 win seasons and then are shocked when they go through 5 coaches who suck. They get what they deserve.

Disclaimer: I went to High School in TN around the time we were kicking the crap out of them in bowl games and that contributed to my disgruntledness as they talked trash every freaking year then the excuses came out after the game.

Reactions: BBrown
Listening to The First Team on ESPNU Radio this morning and they had Bruce Feldman on to talk SEC openings. Said Dan Mullen would probably take the Florida job, not so sure that Tenn is that much better than MSU right now (though they can probably pay more). Said UT may swing for the fences with Gruden and could pay the $10mm he would command, but it's risky - no college football HC experience and he's friends with Butch Jones, so he knows a lot about the good and bad of the program. Feldman also thinks Chip Kelly could do well at Florida, but since he's still living off the teat of his NFL buyouts, he can be picky and not so sure the SEC is the right fit for him.

They also said Scott Frost, Justin Fuente, and Purdue's HC Jeff Brohm are ready for the next step. Said Tee Martin might make some sense but again, no HC experience.

McElroy said his first call would be to James Franklin for the UT job.

Listening to The First Team on ESPNU Radio this morning and they had Bruce Feldman on to talk SEC openings. Said Dan Mullen would probably take the Florida job, not so sure that Tenn is that much better than MSU right now (though they can probably pay more). Said UT may swing for the fences with Gruden and could pay the $10mm he would command, but it's risky - no college football HC experience and he's friends with Butch Jones, so he knows a lot about the good and bad of the program. Feldman also thinks Chip Kelly could do well at Florida, but since he's still living off the teat of his NFL buyouts, he can be picky and not so sure the SEC is the right fit for him.

They also said Scott Frost, Justin Fuente, and Purdue's HC Jeff Brohm are ready for the next step. Said Tee Martin might make some sense but again, no HC experience.

McElroy also blasts Frankling for running it up and other nonsense. Franklin isn't leaving PSU for UT...the SEC shills don't understand that.

Phil Fulmer had trouble winning the big one, but was a consistent winner ,with a solid program. Whoever got rid of him should be cleaning birdcrap off of Rockytop.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

I think Frost is going be high in demand after this season. Nebraska is going to have to pay big to get him over the likes of Florida and UT coaching your alma mater and helping them back up the ladder may be too much for him to pass up.

Butch Jones was an abusive, vindictive, immoral, tyrannical dictator during his time at Tennessee. He cared only for Butch Jones and would destroy anyone in his path who challenged him. Sad that his players and staffers ever had to put up with such a small minded and hateful man.

— Football Time in TN (@FootballTimeMag) November 12, 2017

Yikes sounds like a hostile work environment.

I get that TN needs a big time hire but I would have had Tee Martin on the phone after the Umass game.

McElroy said that? Weird every time I've heard him comment about Franklin its been snarky.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
He to me is the logical pick. UT would be smart to kick the tires on Kelly and Gruden but to me their most logical pick and smart pick would just as you say Tee Martin.

Yea he's not that far removed from TN that kids and coaches (at least who follow TN) would know who he is plus he now has a lot of recruiting ties to CA and that area.

Franklin's way too smart to take that job. Not that he is leaving here, but if he were, he's not going there. That would be a big step down, no matter what the Vol faithful think.

How long until PSU has to get Franklin in the kind of salary territory so that his leaving isn't purely a financial one? I think he makes about $5.8mm a year now - Tennessee is talking about paying someone $8-10mm; that kind of money will generate interest.

How long until PSU has to get Franklin in the kind of salary territory so that his leaving isn't purely a financial one? I think he makes about $5.8mm a year now - Tennessee is talking about paying someone $8-10mm; that kind of money will generate interest.

Seriously? That's fan bullshit. The guys who would command that aren't leaving their current jobs and they can get anyone else for a lot less.

Seriously? That's fan bullshit. The guys who would command that aren't leaving their current jobs and they can get anyone else for a lot less.

Ok - they used that amount with regard to Mullen and Gruden. But, yeah - no idea if/how that would work. It's going to get there for other schools at some point though IMO.

Ok - they used that amount with regard to Mullen and Gruden. But, yeah - no idea if/how that would work. It's going to get there for other schools at some point though IMO.

Assuming that he was open to leaving scenic Starkville, Mullen could be had for a lot less. Chuckie? Who knows what it would take to entice him out of retirement, but I'm sure he'd listen to those numbers. Would I pay him that? NFW.

It's NOT a roomah (rumor)... Urban is the #1 candidate for UT! heard it on the internets! <wink>

btw, whoever UT hires, I hope it's the worst possible choice... one of the few schools I have come to despise.

Butch Jones was an abusive, vindictive, immoral, tyrannical dictator during his time at Tennessee. He cared only for Butch Jones and would destroy anyone in his path who challenged him. Sad that his players and staffers ever had to put up with such a small minded and hateful man.

— Football Time in TN (@FootballTimeMag) November 12, 2017

Yikes sounds like a hostile work environment.

If it was that bad, why wasn't he fired sooner? TN was okay with an abusive, immoral coach so long as they're winning?

Fa
Screw UT...teams like UT, Nebraska, and even FLA to an extent...they fire coaches with 10 win seasons and then are shocked when they go through 5 coaches who suck. They get what they deserve.

Disclaimer: I went to High School in TN around the time we were kicking the crap out of them in bowl games and that contributed to my disgruntledness as they talked trash every freaking year then the excuses came out after the game.
There are posters here who state they are unhappy with 10 win seasons, so not sure PSU is any different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT